http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 12:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Metroid Prime Corruption impressions  (Read 6839 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 12:34:13 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 31, 2007, 11:27:36 PM

I believe you have to use the Friend Code feature to get Green Tokens. 

Son of a bitch! The LAST thing I wanted to do was go through and plug in a whole crapload of Friend codes just for a game.

*uses that one post in the Multiplayer forum and cross-references it with who's posted here so he can add only a few people*

I have 12 of the Friend tokens. I'm finding who has this game and sending them out. I still want that Mii Bobblehead!

EDIT: Okay - Knightshade and The Grue - you're the ONLY people who are on the GTOfficial Wii Console Number List, so I've sent you both a Black Token (as you are both listed as a Wii friend already). Here's to hoping that you not only get it, but send it back my way. smile

Everybody else - get to this link, post your Friend Code, and let's all get hooked up!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:44:59 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 01, 2007, 12:34:13 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 31, 2007, 11:27:36 PM

I believe you have to use the Friend Code feature to get Green Tokens. 

Son of a bitch! The LAST thing I wanted to do was go through and plug in a whole crapload of Friend codes just for a game.

*uses that one post in the Multiplayer forum and cross-references it with who's posted here so he can add only a few people*

I have 12 of the Friend tokens. I'm finding who has this game and sending them out. I still want that Mii Bobblehead!

EDIT: Okay - Knightshade and The Grue - you're the ONLY people who are on the GTOfficial Wii Console Number List, so I've sent you both a Black Token (as you are both listed as a Wii friend already). Here's to hoping that you not only get it, but send it back my way. smile

Everybody else - get to this link, post your Friend Code, and let's all get hooked up!

Okay I sent you one man, so you better send one back!

As for the mouse-like controls, I was reading the IGN preview for MOH: Heroes 2, they were saying that if you turn up the controls to their maximum sensitivity it feels a lot more like mouse and keyboard, almost too fast for a console shooter. It will be interesting to see if the game itself will turn out good, but IGN sounded very surprised with how well the title was coming along.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 01, 2007, 12:59:01 AM

Okay I sent you one man, so you better send one back!

And one sent back. We'll see how this thing works.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2007, 04:09:56 AM »

man, looks like I may give into the Forum Effect this weekend.  stupid need to have new shinies....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2007, 04:57:59 AM »

Well, Tebunker, I got your Friend Voucher thingy, which I immediately turned into a Green Token. I just sent you another one, as I'm still trying for that Bobblehead. Enjoy yours. smile

And motodd and th'Fool, I just shot you both one too. I noticed you have the game as well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:59:33 AM by Destructor » Logged

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2007, 12:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 01, 2007, 04:57:59 AM

Well, Tebunker, I got your Friend Voucher thingy, which I immediately turned into a Green Token. I just sent you another one, as I'm still trying for that Bobblehead. Enjoy yours. smile

And motodd and th'Fool, I just shot you both one too. I noticed you have the game as well.

Thanks! I'll send you one this weekend.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »

Finally picked up this (and Bioshock) this weekend.  My feelings so far seem to echo everyone else's - the control scheme is so damn good it's been a difficult transition whenever I switch over to playing Bioshock (although I then have to adjust to the graphics on the switch back:) ) 

The previous Metroid games both had really good artistic design and level geometry, and this is no different.  It's still early, but so far this is shaping up to be the best Wii game released yet (sorry Zelda).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »

And thanks to everybody who flooded my mailbox today with Friend Tokens. Now I have a little Bobblehead sitting on my dashboard. biggrin

Grue and motodd - I've shot you another Friend Token. Enjoy your Bobblehead as well. Of course, you're more than welcome to send me another token in return. smile

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2007, 04:05:18 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2007, 04:09:56 AM

man, looks like I may give into the Forum Effect this weekend.  stupid need to have new shinies....

I am with you CK, I was going to wait, but I think I am crumbling.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2007, 01:49:58 AM

And thanks to everybody who flooded my mailbox today with Friend Tokens. Now I have a little Bobblehead sitting on my dashboard. biggrin

Grue and motodd - I've shot you another Friend Token. Enjoy your Bobblehead as well. Of course, you're more than welcome to send me another token in return. smile

I have plenty of the green ones, it's the yellow ones I need.  I am assuming you get those for getting through parts of the story?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:42 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 02, 2007, 05:30:29 AM

I have plenty of the green ones, it's the yellow ones I need.  I am assuming you get those for getting through parts of the story?

Yeah, the Yellow ones are generally given out when you defeat bosses and the like. Reds are given pretty much every time you scan an enemy, Blues are sometimes given out when you scan important things that aren't enemies, and Yellows are for the important story things (boss defeated, you hit a major event, etc).

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2007, 06:09:01 AM »

3605 8558 1239 0800

I'm not in the official GT Wii list yet since I just posted my number right after Purge's last update...I have MP3
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

Random cool thing - the game actually awards you with Friend (or was it Yellow...) tokens for doing interesting things. Two examples, both minor spoilers, but blocked off all the same:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After killing enough frozen enemies (freeze them with my weapons, then shatter them), I got a a little popup along the lines of 'Lizard Icicle' or something and got a Token.
Spoiler for Hiden:
There was one point in one of the worlds where I was on a collapsing section of bridge, and these enemies spawned. Knowing my life was more important than offing the baddies, I just moved on and the bridge collapsed behind me. I got a 'Classic Kill' or something of the sort, and another Token.

It's sorta like Achievements, but not. Still a cool idea, especially as you have absolutely no idea what will give them to you.

I also finished the second major 'world' last night. I'm really loving the game and definitely want to push forward. Interesting thought - the game's boss battles are a LOT more involved than in the previous games. Most of the time, you'll be using a lot of varied abilities/powers to kill them. It's not just 'shoot them until you can't shoot them no more' like in the previous titles.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »

i am wondering

i have just been playing resident evil 4 on the Wii,and i have been screaming at the controls...I ******* hate them,when a load of enemies are about i just cant see them because of trying to shoot and posistion the camera so i can aim at them..which has led me to hunt down the GC version...one thumb,one analogue stick camera =RULEZ!!...i wish you could use the GC controller with the Wii(and not just VC games)

so,will i have the same problem with this?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »

I suggest you give yourself more time with the Wii controls in RE4. I admit, I was a bit put off by the camera being on the stick with aiming by the remote myself. But, when you get used to it, it completely KILLS the cube controls, and the game is actually much easier.

I actually think you may be able to use the classic controller with RE4 Wii if you want.

In any event, I doubt you'll have a problem with the Prime controls as waving the remote controls your view completely, it isn't used in concert with the stick on the nunchuck (which controls movement).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 02, 2007, 05:43:37 PM

I actually think you may be able to use the classic controller with RE4 Wii if you want.

To the best of my knowledge (I'm at work and can't check the game box), yes, you can use the Classic Controller. I don't know why you'd want to though, as the Wii controls absolutely blow the Gamecube ones out of the water. Imagine you're driving a tank with the nunchuck, and the Wiimote is your turret, and then keep in mind you can only see what's directly in front of what basic direction the tank is pointing.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 02, 2007, 05:29:02 PM

i am wondering

i have just been playing resident evil 4 on the Wii,and i have been screaming at the controls...I ******* hate them,when a load of enemies are about i just cant see them because of trying to shoot and posistion the camera so i can aim at them..which has led me to hunt down the GC version...one thumb,one analogue stick camera =RULEZ!!...i wish you could use the GC controller with the Wii(and not just VC games)

so,will i have the same problem with this?

To further confirm what JCC and Destructor said, there was no need to hunt down the Cube version- the Wii version works with not only the Classic Controller but the Cube Controller as well.  You can plug it in on the fly to change the controls.

I can't imagine doing so though because the Wii controls were so far superior to the original that it isn't even funny. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

i am getting more used to the controls now(i am on 1-3 i think),but it still hurts my wrist(as i play sat back on the chair,with my right hand holding the wiimote in the direction of the screen....yes...as though i am holding my c*ck),i would still prefer to use the GC controller,at least at the moment...its a good job the resi evil is a good game,otherwise i would of give up straight away(i wonder how many future wii titles will suffer from that)

oh i have tried the GC controller but it doesnt work,i tried going into the options hoping i could see where to change but couldnt see it..i will try the classic,if i have further trouble with the wiimote and nunchuck

oh,and just for the record.....those Europeans in resi 4,are exactly how we are,its scary how spot on they have got us icon_smile

EDIT:alos i find that if i am playing,i have to do quite a long sit in/session as if i leave it for a day or two,when i come back to it,my head is up my arse again,and i have to get used to the controls all over again
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:10:47 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2007, 10:05:09 PM »

Personally for both RE4 and Metroid I play with arm laying on the armrest.  No need to hold it like you're holding a gun or anything that requires your arm to continuously hold it up. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 02, 2007, 10:05:09 PM

Personally for both RE4 and Metroid I play with arm laying on the armrest.  No need to hold it like you're holding a gun or anything that requires your arm to continuously hold it up. 

no they are lay on my lap(which is what i do when holding normal controller),with the wiimote wrist moving about towards the screen...and i dont think i could have both arms laying on the arms of the chair,the wire connecting them would most proberbly get on my nerves...dunno,i will try it out anyway

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2007, 02:51:05 AM »

I am pretty far along now. I have 2 areas left.One of which I have done a fair amount of, the other a little bit. I do think that to this point this is the easiest Prime ever. Certainly there have been challenging spots, and even one I genuinely was pissed at before I cleared it, but nothing like the Omega Pirate, Metroid Prime, or.... nearly all the bosses in Echoes. It's also definitely the farthest I will get in so far as getting nearly all the items in a Metroid game, as this game makes it much less difficult to find stuff. Still, minimizing my frustration in a Metroid title is only enhancing my enjoyment of it. And, after finishing it if I want something more challenging I will have two higher difficulties to try. I'll recant or repeat when I finish it, but I would say Prime is still the best, but this is close and definitely better than Echoes.

I have warmed considerably to the controls, but would still like to see some developer TRY a more mouse like control scheme for one of these FPSes. (No moving reticule, I move the remote and the view moves with it.) It's certainly superior to ANY console FPS experience I have had (again, I just can't handle the 2 stick control scheme), and I even give it the nod over the cube titles. In fact, a $20 Metroid Prime 1/2 pack with Wii controls would probably tempt me.

I am quite pleased with the title, and am sad to see it end. I hope the "Dread" rumors (a 2D DS Metroid) prove true or else this will probably be the last Metroid for a while.... which would suck.

-John

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2007, 02:56:20 AM »

Sounds great JCC, I am looking forward to delving more and more into the title. I've found it to be kinda easy too, but I didn't have any issues with any other bosses in the series except for Metroid Prime itself.

I think the upcoming Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is going to mirror the controls you are looking for when you max them out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 04, 2007, 02:51:05 AM

I am quite pleased with the title, and am sad to see it end. I hope the "Dread" rumors (a 2D DS Metroid) prove true or else this will probably be the last Metroid for a while.... which would suck.

I just got to the point in the game where a random computer terminal actually talks about "Metroid Dread". biggrin

Time will tell.

Oh, and yes, I'd pay $20 for a Metroid Prime 1/2 Wii combo pack that uses the same controls as MP3. Nintendo, you listening? Easy money!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2007, 03:52:19 AM »

Damn it, I'm stumped!  Got 99 out of 100 pickups but have no idea where the last one is.  I'm pretty sure I've exhausted the in game "help" system on finding missing upgrades. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2007, 03:57:19 AM »

Whoohoo!  found it!  Now to start the endgame.  First time I've ever got 100% of the pickups in a Metroid game. 
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 04:44:53 AM »

I have warmed considerably to the controls, but would still like to see some developer TRY a more mouse like control scheme for one of these FPSes. (No moving reticule, I move the remote and the view moves with it.)

Are you using the advanced controls?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 04, 2007, 03:57:19 AM

Whoohoo!  found it!  Now to start the endgame.  First time I've ever got 100% of the pickups in a Metroid game. 

Congrats on finding all the items. Myself, I just passed the 75% mark (the ingame 'help' thingy was a great little idea, IMHO), and got notification that I'd be getting a 'special' ending (now just beat the game! - I'm nowhere near it I think, as I'm still missing a few things). Did it give you any reward notifications for collecting everything?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »

Yeah, you'll unlock an additional ending on top of the one you get when getting 75%.

Finished the game (final time 21:32).  Was pleased to find the final boss wasn't too bad- made it to it's final form first time out before dying and beat it the second try. Fantastic game overall. 

Man, those reviews weren't kidding when they said the game gets better and better looking as you go along.  Some of the environments in the last half of the game were truly spectacular. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 04, 2007, 04:44:53 AM

I have warmed considerably to the controls, but would still like to see some developer TRY a more mouse like control scheme for one of these FPSes. (No moving reticule, I move the remote and the view moves with it.)

Are you using the advanced controls?

Yes. I haven't even tried the other configurations.

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »

are there alot of references to the first 2 MP's?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2007, 03:11:37 PM

are there alot of references to the first 2 MP's?

Not really.  The plot is sort of the culmination from the first two but the game is story-lite and also fills in the needed back story in different ways.  Everything you *need* to know is presented for you.  The only exception is Dark Samus- it's explained in some logs later in the game but it might be kind of a WTF moment at the outset for some people.

I've never played more than an hour into Echoes (I think I might try now though) and had no issue. 

The Prime games take kind of a cue from Bioshock (really System Shock 1 & 2)- you can use the scanning mechanic to fill in the story if you want (essentially the equivalent of the logs from the aforementioned games) but it's strictly optional and the games are designed to enable you to completely ignore the story if you choose. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »

Just finished this today. I had 97% complete, (by far the highest I have achieved in any Metroid game) at right around 20 hours. I know I had all the missiles and energy tanks, so I either missed the pointless ship missile upgrades or some scans. (Ok, I definitely missed some scans.) I thought the game was superb. I still have to give the first Prime the nod as the best, due to it being the first and to how awesome Talon IV was. I like the fact that this was much easier (on the lowest difficulty). I thought the first 2 were both difficult to a fault at times (especially Echoes), and this only had one part that took me more than a couple tries to finish. As noted earlier after some initial misgivings, the controls ended up being fantastic. It definitely is the best looking and sounding Prime game to date. Looking (way) ahead, I look forward to seeing what Retro does on the successor to the Wii (which would presumably have HD graphics).

Some negatives. There was one part late in the game, that was disappointing. Without spoiling it, let's just say it was your typical FPS mission and stood out like a sore thumb in a Metroid game. It wasn't hard or anything, or overly long, but I just felt like I was playing the wrong game during that part. Also, the amount of waiting at doors in this game was excessive. It happened every now and then in the first two games, but here it happened a lot and the delays were considerably longer.

Well, I am pretty sure this one is my game of the year. I guess the only real contender is Zelda PH. I like Bioshock very much, but it running like dog shit on my pc is working against it. Plus, I am comparing it to System Shock 2, which I feel it isn't quite in the same league as. Still, I am happy to get to return to it now, and see if it will make me change my mind.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »

Scans aren't counted in the percentage rating- just pickups. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2007, 11:20:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 05, 2007, 11:12:30 PM

Scans aren't counted in the percentage rating- just pickups. 

Well I guess I was missing ship pickups then. I assume the missiles should have been 250 and the energy tanks the same as in the other games (the length of the bar). What exactly were the ship missile upgrades for anyway? Did you ever use it again after Bryyo?

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:07 PM »

Missiles were 255.  I wanna say there were 14 energy tanks but I'm not 100% on that. 

Ship Missile upgrades increased your bombing run damages.  You could use it anytime you were in an open air fight. 

The two most commonly missed pickups (including the last one I found) seem to be the two in:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bryyo Ice- there is a ship missile on top of the Reptilian statue and there is a set of spider tracks in there as well.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2007, 12:05:45 AM »

Nope! Got those two. Ok, I definitely missed a missile upgrade then. Assuming the map info is correct I got everything on Elysia, Norion, and Bryyo. I must have missed something on one of the last 2 areas which I didn't have map info for.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2007, 01:32:05 AM »

The only areas without map info that have pickups are:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Valhalla and Ice Bryyo.  You can get the map for the Pirate Homeworld by using the X-Ray Visor and Phase Beam (green one) at the base of the Chozo Observatory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:35 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 01:32:05 AM

The only areas without map info that have pickups are:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Valhalla and Ice Bryyo.  You can get the map for the Pirate Homeworld by using the X-Ray Visor and Phase Beam (green one) at the base of the Chozo Observatory

Ahh, thanks for the tip. For now I am delighted I did 97% as that blows away any other % in any other Metroid for me. Whenever I get around to a replay, I'll go for 100% then!

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 05, 2007, 11:39:07 PM

Ship Missile upgrades increased your bombing run damages.  You could use it anytime you were in an open air fight. 

You can? Oh snap!

This changes a few fights...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 06, 2007, 01:30:12 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 05, 2007, 11:39:07 PM

You can? Oh snap!

This changes a few fights...

Yeah, I kind of wish I'd use it more often.  Not that most fights were difficult but it is pretty cool. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: