http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 - Initial Impressions  (Read 1728 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »

A long time buddy of mine that's moving on from EA Canada got me a copy of MoH:H2 cheap as he still had some of his employee game purchase quota remaining. So unexpectedly I picked this up along with Madden 08 yesterday and played it last night. Since decent FPS's have been scarce on the Wii I thought I'd share my impressions with everyone, as this is quite possibly the Wii FPS some have been waiting for. smile

Controls:
I was reading that the control scheme in this game surpasses MP3 and quite frankly I was skeptical. I'm pleased to say that controls are indeed better than MP3; in fact they're outstanding. Virtually every aspect of the controls can be customized; look right-left, responsiveness, up-down responsiveness, deadzone, IR sensitivity, etc. So far I've only played on default settings and the controls have been great, but I'm fairly confident I can tweak them to an experience that's closer to my PC's Logi G5 + Nostromo config; yup they're that good. There's also some very clever uses of the controls to manipulate items that go even further than the lock and control panel mechanics in MP3.

Gameplay:
I've played about 1/3 of the game and so far SP campaign is good, but it's pretty much your standard fair for a WWII shooter with each section divided into missions introduced with a video. There is the added twist that your under the wing of the OSS. In each mission you're given defined objectives, but you also have secondary objectives that aren't communicated to you but are objectives of opportunity. This makes the missions a bit more interesting and gives a bit of a covert opps feel to them. The weakest part of gameplay is the friend and enemy AI which at times can be complete boneheads. I'm 4 mission in and so far foolish AI hasn't ruined the experience yet, but I'd say it's weak enough that hardcore WWII shooter fans should stay clear. The missions aren't completely on rails, but you are guided through them albeit at your own pace. That being said, some of the levels -particularly the city- are very well layed out so the defined path aspect isn't bad at all. There is in fact an on-rails mode for this game called arcade, that's specifically designed to enhance Wii Zapper use; can also be played with nunchuk+Wiimote.

Online gameplay is hosted on EA's game nation and plain and simple it's a complete blast to play. I did get disconnected when attempting to join a game and sometimes during next session spawning. There's a feature in the game that enforces axis - allies team balance and it appears if you try joining the wrong team you end up just getting disconnected as opposed to being auto-assigned to the other team. However, once you're in it works perfectly and I've no doubt it will be stable with the max allowed 32 players. I was in a team death match last night with 28 people and there was never a hiccup; ran as smooth as silk. Other than Planetside, I've never been in a FPS game with as many as 14 per side and man was it ever a blast. The online maps are all based on missions from the game, but they've been tweaked to enhance mplay. I played in 3 last night and all were good. Unfortunately, there are some limitations with the online, namely no voice or text chat. You can however issue canned voice commands via the '1' button on the Wiimote, but if you want real voice or text chat you'd have to resort to a PC app running in tandem. The only real dissapointment with the mplay is that there's no offline matches or co-op play. I'm a bit miffed about this because the box clearly lists that 4 local players are supported.

Graphics and Sound:
Graphics for this game are more than sufficient. In particular textures and some of the lighting / shadows are done nicely as are the individual weapons and it runs in widescreen 480p at a perfect 60 fps. There is some problems with enemies being spawned to quickly and the odd occurrence of clipping, but other than that, this is one of the better looking Wii games. I actually haven't played many WWII FPS's, but I can say that this game looks as good as the Xbox version of CoD2:Big Red One, if not better. Sound is also very good and the game uses the ProLogic II capabilities of the Wii very well. The music is also decent and at times it creates a nice ambiance that enhances the covert opps mood I described earlier.

So far I'm liking this game a helluva lot, to the point that it will probably steal away some of my SMG and ME playtime this week. If you loved the gameplay mechanics in RE4 or MP3, then you owe it to yourself to at least rent this game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:43:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:03:18 PM »

Sounds good. I'm curious how this will play with the Wii Zapper (it's one of the "showcase" titles for the new controller).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:02:17 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2007, 10:03:18 PM

Sounds good. I'm curious how this will play with the Wii Zapper (it's one of the "showcase" titles for the new controller).

Based on when I played it, I don't think you can use the Zapper for the 'normal' (as described above) game. There is an Arcade mode, where it becomes a on-rails lightgun shooter. The Zapper will work great for that mode.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:15:03 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2007, 01:02:17 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2007, 10:03:18 PM

Based on when I played it, I don't think you can use the Zapper for the 'normal' (as described above) game. There is an Arcade mode, where it becomes a on-rails lightgun shooter. The Zapper will work great for that mode.

The manual lists a Zapper equivalent for every Wiimote+nunchuk (called Elite controls) control action. That being said, what's described in the manual is the main reason I don't want to play the campaign with the Zapper, as I'm not entirely sold on the substitutions. According to the manual the main campaign can be played with the Elite controls or the Zapper. The following excerpt is from page 2 of the manual: "Play campaign mode to engage in a more rigorous and realistic combat experience with Elite (Wii Remote and Nunchuk) or Wii Zapper controls."

Where I can see the Zapper being most useful is in online mplay, since for the most part you're just shooting and tossing the occasional grenade.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 01:16:40 AM by kronovan » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:15:59 AM »

Well Jade Raymond says the Zapper is awesome, in that other thread, so that's good enough for me!  icon_wink

Yeah, that shotgun cocking maneuver with the regular Wii controls sounds fun, and I don't quite know how that works with the Zapper. Anyway, I don't have a Wii or any current console so I'm just living vicariously through ya'll. So I would be interested in hearing how the Zapper works/doesn't work down the road. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »

Nice writeup. Makes me want to pick it up and try it for myself but right now there are too many other games to play.

Galaxy, metroid, orange box and crysis for me personally. But later on this will probably be picked up. Hope this is not sent to die and the online is still there when I have more time to play.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Jocke on November 20, 2007, 01:19:12 PM

But later on this will probably be picked up. Hope this is not sent to die and the online is still there when I have more time to play.

Online play community is quite strong right now with at least 3 unofficial clans; Art of Wii seems to be the most organized. Most of the clans appear to be using XFire for voice comms. I don't think you need to worry about the online play community disappearing anytime soon; this game is really the only gig in town right now for online shooting. So I wouldn't worry about online enthusiam for this being like the current flavour of the month situation you have with some X360 shooters.

My impressions of this game went up last night when I played it to the 1/2 way point. This is definitely 1 of the best looking Wii games, with the textures, lighting and shadows in the last mission I played looking better than any game I've ever played on the Gamecube or Xbox. It of course isn't visually in the same league as an X360 game, but it's impressive none the less.

I'm also experiencing much more sophisticated enemy AI now and have noticed that the bad AI for both parties seems to occur when my friendly troops and enemy are in close proximity. Believe it or not for most of the game you're separated from your 5th Ranger squad. In fact you can start to feel down right annoyed that you're sent in to do the dirty work well they hang back and wait till the coast is clear, but you are after all the uberest soldier ever. smile

I toyed a bit with the control sliders and was very surprised at the results I got. Even when playing the better weapon controlling Wii games like RE4 and MP3, I never imagined you could get the Wiimote to respond as quickly as a good PC mouse. The control sensitivity I've managed to achieve through my tweaking is beginning to approach my Logitech G5 mouse. A number of people complained about the time required to perform a 360 in MP3; I now can do that in this game in about a second and I haven't even moved all sensitivity slider to their max positions.

I've now had an opportunity to use one of the more powerful German rifles -couldn't online because I played as Allies- and it's damn impressive. I've also had a chance to use the shotgun and it has to be the best shotgun I've used in any game; sound and look of it are perfect. You reload with an upward shake of the wiimote and pump it with an upward shake of the nunchuk. The cool feeling it creates to upward motion to reload and then immediately upward motion to pump it is hard to describe, but it give you the feeling that you're definitely set to kick butt!  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:27:36 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »

I didn't have much time to play last night -SMG and ME are competing for my playtime- but I did manage to get about 2/3's through. And the good news is I'm still liking it very much. One thing that may annoy others a bit, is that this is very much a shooter where the enemies keep coming and reoccupying strong points until you've killed a certain number. Since this allows me to kill many Nazis I'm actually enjoying dispensing with the hordes, but I know some may grow tired with it.

I've also experienced some foolish enemy AI again. It still hasn't ruined the game, but when your facing them with a shotgun and they move into the open you kind of want to say "for Christ sakes idiot get into cover!" Your path is also very predefined, so those that want a free roaming experience need to look elsewhere. I didn't get to play online again, so fraid no more impressions there.

In my initial post I talked about how the Wii controls were used in clever ways to manipulate items. I thought I'd just share some of the ways that I've encountered so far; so here they are.

Using a field radio
Approach the radio and press the [-] button to start tuning.
Slowly tilt the wiimote left or right to tune the frequency needle to the left or right on the frequency band; radio chat is emitted from the wiimote speaker which sounds just perfect. Press the [A] button when you hear your OSS operator and the tuning light indicates a strong signal. The OSS operator speaks to you through the regular speakers.

Setting a timed charge
Approach the charge and point at it, then tilt the wiimote clockwise to set the desired time; the more tilt the more time. Finally, tilt the wiimote up to start the timer, as in pulling up the plug.

Firing a Mortar
Approach the mortar and press the [-] button to operate it. Aim it left or right by tilting the nunchuk to the left or right; just like carving in SSX Blur.  slywink Change the elevation by moving the nunchuk control stick up or down. Fire the shell by quickly tilting the wiimote upward.

Firing a large mounted gun
Approach the gun and press the [-] button to operate it. Rotate the gun on it's ring mount by moving the nunchuk in circular clockwise or counterclockwise motions; as in turning a hand wheel. Fire the shell by quickly tilting the wiimote upward.

Using a Mine Detector
Very simple, just swing the wiimote back and forth. When a mine is detected a buzz similar to a Geiger counter is emitted and the wiimote rumbles. And of course you now know better than to step there. smile

Shooting while in cover
Yes it does indeed have a cover play mechanic and its a really good one. smile
You crouch by pressing the down arrow on the wiimote cross pad. If you're crouched behind cover and you press [A], you can lean out to take a shot by tilting the nunchuk left and right. If you're crouched behind a low barrier, pressing the [A] button will have you pop up out of cover with you aiming down your barrel. When you're not in cover pressing [A] allows you to aim down the barrel of your gun for more accurate shots.
The tilting of the nunchuk to lean works so well that the 1st time I used it I found it made me smile.

More later.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:35:49 PM »

That all sounds really cool. Kudos to the devs for thinking this all up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:34 PM »

I've only played the first Medal of Honor game but the AI was pretty brain dead back then too. Still had a blast playing the game, but your allies were enormously stupid.

"Let's run down the street at that machine gun nest!"
"Good idea!"

-Budda budda budda-

End of squad. Commence solo mission.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:21:41 AM »

Gametrailers has a Wii movie showing how the controllers are used (not the Zapper):
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28175.html

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:53:20 AM »

i just added this to my GF list thanks to your impressions kronovan.  actually looking forward to giving it a shot (that is after Naruto, Ratchet, and Mario Galaxy).

keep on adding your impressions as you go kronovan, i enjoy reading them and it's got me really interested.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:24:54 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 22, 2007, 12:53:20 AM

i just added this to my GF list thanks to your impressions kronovan.  actually looking forward to giving it a shot (that is after Naruto, Ratchet, and Mario Galaxy).

keep on adding your impressions as you go kronovan, i enjoy reading them and it's got me really interested.

Glad you're enjoying the impressions Xmann. I should complete the game this weekend and be able post my final impressions on Monday.
BTW I'm just curious, but does GF list refer to Girl Friend list or Game Favorites list?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »

well the wife would kill me if it was Girlfriend  icon_biggrin

it's Gamefly

it'll be a couple weeks atleast till i get around to it.   got Naruto and Ratchet and Clank coming and still have Uncharted and Mario Galaxy to finish.   but i'm looking forward to it.   glad to see that a decent shooter that looks pleasant can be made for the Wii.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »

finally got it shipped from Gamefly today.   looking forward to playing it early next week

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »

My play through eventually got side tracked by Mass Effect and Super Mario Galaxy; what can I say - 2 titles that I bought my consoles for. I'm now on the last mission and the difficulty has ramped up significantly and I'm being confronted with wave after wave of enemies. I'm dieing a lot more now and I've now begun to measure success on a checkpoint -to- checkpoint basis as opposed to mission -to- mission. I'm just glad the autosave feature saves up to your most recent checkpoint. Despite the increase in difficulty I'm still enjoying this game a lot. slywink
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:21:51 PM by kronovan » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:20:31 AM »

I added this to my X-mas list, so if I get it, I'll add some impressions of my own after then.

If not, it will probably have to wait for a price drop.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »

ok, finally got it and was able to run through the first 2 levels.

first off, the controls are awesome.   everything feels natural and not overdone.   my problem with some of the Wii games thus far is that it takes too much advantge of the Wii control system and things are just too quirky and unnecessary.   with MoH, it all seems just right.   

graphics wise, so far one of the better games visually.   it actually looks better than Resident Evil for me.  runs very smooth at 480p with very little jaggied textures.   seeing this run makes me excited for the future.   not that we'll see anything remotely close to what the 360 or PS3 does, but we can expect some decent and pleasant looking titles.

gameplay is typical of your MoH games as kronovan stated.   mission briefs and objectives through cinematic stories.   sorta on rails gameplay, but i've seen a bit more of pacing too.   however, if you've played a MoH game before, you know what to expect.  biggest complain thus far is the AI.   i started on Veteran and the friendly and enemy AI is horribe.   teammates are absolutely no help.   you might as well be going it alone from what i have seen already.   enemy AI is poor so far too.   i can literally run right up to a German and he won't even have begun to start firing.   i'm still early on, but so far it's pretty bad.   maybe it's still easing me in, but the first 2 levels were a joke.

haven't played mp yet, but gonna give it a go as well since that is what is really getting the positives vibes.  i'll play through a good bit of the sp too, can't be too critical since i've just started.   will comment more as i go along.   

so far the positives are controls and graphics.   bad is the AI.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 12:25:39 PM »

I've tried it with the Zapper now; both the campaign and the arcade mode. My intial experiences of playing the campaign with the zapper have been mixed. The biggest problem is that for some reason you don't turn nearly as fast when using it and it's quite disorienting; I have similar complaints about turning in Links Crossbow. The shooting is excellent and feels even better with the zapper, with the caveat that you can no longer pump load the shotgun. In regards to the turning, it might just be that there's a learning curve and I still haven't made the adjustment in gameplay yet.

The arcade mode plays much better with the zapper and it's really a lot of fun. At 1st it seems strange that you're not in control of movement, but you get used to that fairly quickly. The biggest complaint with the arcade is having to shoot at health packs to heal; just too few of them and sometimes placed at akward intervals.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »

I find the Zapper to be more of a hindrence than a boon in pretty much any game I try it with, Crossbow Training included.  I'm looking forward to Nyko's gun which comes out right after Xmas (?!).  At least it's a pistol (and can still use the 'chuck).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »

Oh yes
http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838371p1.html
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 10:26:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 12, 2007, 04:26:23 PM

I find the Zapper to be more of a hindrence than a boon in pretty much any game I try it with, Crossbow Training included.  I'm looking forward to Nyko's gun which comes out right after Xmas (?!).  At least it's a pistol (and can still use the 'chuck).

I like using the Zapper in Links Crossbow more than the wiimote+nunchuk for the most part. It's only the mission in which you must shoot the goblins -or whatever they're called- while advancing on foot that I find it to be a hindrance. That paticular LCT mission is how most of the campaign missions from MoHH2 play out. I think the problem is that turning is more difficult with the zapper because the Wiimote sensor end is that much further away from your hand. Therefore to make a turn you have to leverage the zapper barrel more to the side in order for your change in direction to register. I really wish there was a way to swap the wiimote 'B' button with the nunchuk 'Z' button. That way you could use your hand that's on the zapper barrel for pivoting movements.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:55:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:12 AM »

Just picked up this game at Toys 'R Us in an exchange for an earlier title I got. Looking forward to it, but I think it's going under the Christmas tree.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »

Quote from: Jag on December 12, 2007, 04:48:04 PM

IGN's review is out and they give it a 9.3!

I cannot wait for this now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 05:36:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 14, 2007, 04:49:00 AM

I think I am in on that. Seems like Nyko is really making some solid peripherals lately. Love the recharging station. I've got my mind set to get MOH: H 2, RE: UC and Link's Crossbow to go with my Ghost Squad, and this will only help.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 14, 2007, 04:49:00 AM

Yup, after reading that review I think I'm definitely In; really looks like the perfect gun for RE:UC. It would also be cool to replay the MoHH2 campaign with this while only using the colt and the occasional salvaged luger.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 11:58:49 PM »

Just make sure to tell us all when this comes out, eh? biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: