http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:08:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword  (Read 4814 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »

What does that knob by his hand do?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 03:31:40 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on November 24, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

Nice, where'd you get him at again?

I got mine at Gamestop.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 04:47:29 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on November 24, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

Nice, where'd you get him at again?

GameStop had them on the front counter.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 05:16:32 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 24, 2011, 12:47:28 AM

What does that knob by his hand do?

It controls the iDrive system - radio stations, phone, audio controls, etc.

Sean Lama
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

Wow, just wow.

Played Zelda Skyward Sword last night. After the reviews it was getting, I couldn't resist picking it up as I am a huge Zelda fan. YIKES talk about buyers remorse! Granted I just finished Assassins Creed Revelations, which has buttery smooth controls and amazing graphics and adult story line. Perhaps the jump from Assassins Creed to Zelda is just too harsh.

The villans in this game would make John Hughes proud. I think Joe Pesci in Home Alone 1 was more intimidating that the BULLYS in the sky city. I understand Nintendo is skewing this game to a younger demographic... but even my 10 and 12 year old glazed over.

Zelda played like an N64 game. I was horrified, HORRIFIED at the graphics. They look like n64 vaseline on the lens blurry... My son walks by and snickers at what Im playing, and says, wow something wrong with the tv? why so blurry?. Honestly, I wanted to clean my glasses... it hurts the eyes to watch. Im really no graphics whore, but this is a bit much.

The game starts out with climbing... which really shows its age. The world is unbelievably empty as you walk through the first town...Time has done nothing but sour my palpable disdain for the Wii control methods.. I dont want to SHAKE both controllers to land a finishing blow.. seems silly really.

I know why Nintendo refuses to voice act a game.. COST. But the mumblings of the characters is really silly. On top of that the amount of text you have to read is just stupid.

How the mighty have fallen. I only played about two hours last night. And I fully acknowledge that this game could pick up. Where it stands right now is a sad tale of how Nintendo has lost its way.

Link has the personality of a crash test dummy. In the opening sequences of the game, he had his "BIRD" stolen and shows absolutely no emotion what so ever. I understand the design choice, as its supposed to be YOU as the character... But it really removes you from being emotionally envolved in the slightest with the characters.

On the plus side, the MUSIC is amazing. Really like a feature film, really fits the theme. Brillant.

WHO the hell are they selling this game to? 40+ year old nostalgia freaks? Or 10 year olds..who are mostly playing Call of Duty and snicker at the simplicity of this game. Pixar movies have a deeper soul than this. They have satisfied neither.

Nintendo continues to sail out to the sea of mediocrity.

My last wii game for sure.

And my prediction is the WII U will continue the downward spiral. Ignoring graphics as Microsoft and Sony move the graphics to the NEXT level... Seems like a horrible mistake. I want to play a zelda game with 360 level graphics. Is the Wii U Nintendo's Dreamcast? I think so.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 29, 2011, 01:13:52 PM

Wow, just wow.

Played Zelda Skyward Sword last night. After the reviews it was getting, I couldn't resist picking it up as I am a huge Zelda fan. YIKES talk about buyers remorse! Granted I just finished Assassins Creed Revelations, which has buttery smooth controls and amazing graphics and adult story line. Perhaps the jump from Assassins Creed to Zelda is just too harsh.

The villans in this game would make John Hughes proud. I think Joe Pesci in Home Alone 1 was more intimidating that the BULLYS in the sky city. I understand Nintendo is skewing this game to a younger demographic... but even my 10 and 12 year old glazed over.

Zelda played like an N64 game. I was horrified, HORRIFIED at the graphics. They look like n64 vaseline on the lens blurry... My son walks by and snickers at what Im playing, and says, wow something wrong with the tv? why so blurry?. Honestly, I wanted to clean my glasses... it hurts the eyes to watch. Im really no graphics whore, but this is a bit much.

The game starts out with climbing... which really shows its age. The world is unbelievably empty as you walk through the first town...Time has done nothing but sour my palpable disdain for the Wii control methods.. I dont want to SHAKE both controllers to land a finishing blow.. seems silly really.

I know why Nintendo refuses to voice act a game.. COST. But the mumblings of the characters is really silly. On top of that the amount of text you have to read is just stupid.

How the mighty have fallen. I only played about two hours last night. And I fully acknowledge that this game could pick up. Where it stands right now is a sad tale of how Nintendo has lost its way.

Link has the personality of a crash test dummy. In the opening sequences of the game, he had his "BIRD" stolen and shows absolutely no emotion what so ever. I understand the design choice, as its supposed to be YOU as the character... But it really removes you from being emotionally envolved in the slightest with the characters.

On the plus side, the MUSIC is amazing. Really like a feature film, really fits the theme. Brillant.

WHO the hell are they selling this game to? 40+ year old nostalgia freaks? Or 10 year olds..who are mostly playing Call of Duty and snicker at the simplicity of this game. Pixar movies have a deeper soul than this. They have satisfied neither.

And my prediction is the WII U will continue the downward spiral. Ignoring graphics as Microsoft and Sony move the graphics to the NEXT level... Seems like a horrible mistake. I want to play a zelda game with 360 level graphics. Is the Wii U Nintendo's Dreamcast? I think so.

By all accounts the WiiU will be more powerful than the PS3 and 360. BUT, it will only be slightly more powerful, which means that once the next Sony and MS consoles come out the WiiU will be behind the curve.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 29, 2011, 01:13:52 PM

Wow, just wow.

I picked up the game, and played a good chunk of it over the Thanksgiving holiday. I will agree with you about the graphics. What you're seeing is the Wii being pushed to its very limits graphically and it's honestly unsightly. The first couple of hours of the game at Skyloft are also just typical introductory bulldookie nonsense. But, the game does that good olde Zelda magic. And it wins you over once you're into the game for a proper time. I started to feel the game the more I played. I also watched my 13-year old nephew play it and he got far ahead of me, and what I saw from his adventures made me feel warm with gaming enjoyment. That good olde thrill of quest and adventure is there. The puzzle-solving is there. You feel your character grow with the game. It really does feel like great, traditional Zelda game.

Now, perhaps the inner young gamer in your has been stunted from years of playing hardcore military-shooters with top-notch graphics and what have you... but this is a great game. What Nintendo does here is creating a magical adventure game completely on their own terms. That's what they've always done, and I appreaciate it.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »

Im going to stick it out Im sure there is magic in there..

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »

There is plenty of magic. It's a fantastic game. Nintendo doesnt need voice acting, HD graphics, or mature themes to craft quality games. They're always going to be behind Sony and MS technology wise but they'll continue to do what they've always done and I'll be content with that.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 30, 2011, 10:39:43 PM

There is plenty of magic. It's a fantastic game. Nintendo doesnt need voice acting, HD graphics, or mature themes to craft quality games.

+1

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

uh oh, BUG ALERT:

We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:

1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.

2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.

3. Complete the Thunder Dragon's event, and receive his song.

4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.

5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.

Solutions:

This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon's song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.

If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »

Kinda surprising they would let something like that go through. People love to break sequences in games for the fun of it. Maybe they will recall the discs if bad enough?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »

Ouch, that would definitely suck. I don't think the Wii has a patcher system like the XBox and PS3 either, so they can't patch it remotely.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »

Hard to believe I waited 2 years to try a new Zelda game, but that says nearly everything about the meteoric rise and catastrophic fall of the Wii.

I gave this to my brother for Xmas two years ago, and this year he finally gave up on it pretty close to finishing it. My best gaming friend is a much more die hard video game player than I am (I apparently like reading gaming forums and news more than playing games these days....) and he gave up on this game because he hated the controls. So, my expectations were very low when I fired this up earlier this week.

I will admit to being VERY charmed by this early on. I liked the way they built up to your first time flying and it did have me anticipating it. I also found the Zelda/Link relationship cute. I even found the motion controls to be pretty fun the first night. However, the second and third day I played this when I finally got to some actual gameplay, my opinion definitely soured. This game exemplifies what's wrong with motion controls. WAY WAY too much of this game depends on shoe horned motion controls to accomplish certain things I would much rather do with a thumbstick or button press. The more intense fights I have had so far have had me furious at the sword controls, which don't always respond correctly. Plus, they just aren't quite responsive enough, which acts as an unwanted difficulty booster. Controlling the beetle with the Wiimote is a torturous pain, and would be 100% easier just driving it with the thumbstick. There are many other examples of these types of things where traditional controls would increase my enjoyment and decrease my frustration. I think there is a pretty neat Zelda game to be had here, but I expect it's a matter of when, not if, I give up in frustration. Still enjoying it enough to plod on... for now.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

The motion controls didn't bother me with this one, but the EXTREME amount of handholding really turned me off.  I love the Zelda series, but part of the fun is figuring out puzzles.  If I ever got to a puzzle that made me pause for a moment to think, before I could even test out an idea for the solution it seemed like the game would yell 'HEY TRY LOOKING FOR A LEVER BEHIND THAT BUSH OVER THERE'.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2013, 02:13:58 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 01, 2013, 09:10:42 PM

The motion controls didn't bother me with this one, but the EXTREME amount of handholding really turned me off.  I love the Zelda series, but part of the fun is figuring out puzzles.  If I ever got to a puzzle that made me pause for a moment to think, before I could even test out an idea for the solution it seemed like the game would yell 'HEY TRY LOOKING FOR A LEVER BEHIND THAT BUSH OVER THERE'.

This is why I just got rid of it. For some reason Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword amped up the handholding to extreme levels. Made me hate them. Windwaker is perfect. It seems Aounuma is going to backing off the handholding too going forward.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »

I guess I'll buy that there's more of it in SS, but I just replayed about half of Wind Waker and it has PLENTY of hand holding in its own right. The king of red lions is basically telling you where to go and what to do. Wind Waker was certainly easier than SS so far... Although most of my difficulty is with the controls and winning even some of the routine fights take me way too long.

Just entered the second temple and am still having enough fun to keep playing, but I know the battles are going to get harder and I shudder to think how much more "precise" I am going to have to get with the sword....

-John

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2013, 03:23:47 AM »

So, was this basically the FF13 of Zelda?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2013, 05:15:22 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 01, 2013, 09:02:10 PM

This game exemplifies what's wrong with motion controls. WAY WAY too much of this game depends on shoe horned motion controls to accomplish certain things I would much rather do with a thumbstick or button press. The more intense fights I have had so far have had me furious at the sword controls, which don't always respond correctly. Plus, they just aren't quite responsive enough, which acts as an unwanted difficulty booster. Controlling the beetle with the Wiimote is a torturous pain, and would be 100% easier just driving it with the thumbstick. There are many other examples of these types of things where traditional controls would increase my enjoyment and decrease my frustration. I think there is a pretty neat Zelda game to be had here, but I expect it's a matter of when, not if, I give up in frustration. Still enjoying it enough to plod on... for now.

This is a Zelda game I haven't played yet, but a question that comes up whenever I hear about the controls is; are people playing with a motion plus connected to their wiimote? I'd originally planned to get this day 1, but a number of reviews put me off and then I just never got around to getting it. I'd read a number of posts where players claim it performs considerably better with motion plus connected, so I'm curious.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Motion Plus thingie is required to be able to play the game.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 02, 2013, 03:16:33 AM

I guess I'll buy that there's more of it in SS, but I just replayed about half of Wind Waker and it has PLENTY of hand holding in its own right. The king of red lions is basically telling you where to go and what to do. Wind Waker was certainly easier than SS so far... Although most of my difficulty is with the controls and winning even some of the routine fights take me way too long.

Just entered the second temple and am still having enough fun to keep playing, but I know the battles are going to get harder and I shudder to think how much more "precise" I am going to have to get with the sword....

I think it is a different kind of hand holding I guess, not as intrusive, and even though the King of Red Lions tells you where to go, you are allowed to go do whatever you want within limits of your equipment. Also, you aren't told what everything is everytime you load your save game. I know how much the rupees are worth, you don't have to remind me about everything.

Also, the later WW dungeons approach some of the best in the series.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2013, 04:35:58 AM »

The first 4-5 hours of the game were my favorite. I eventually gave up because I got frustrated... I had to blow up a wall but the textures are so low-res that I couldn't tell there was a crack in the section of the wall where the bomb was supposed to explode. That drove me nuts.

Sean Lama
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 02, 2013, 06:47:05 AM

I'm pretty sure the Motion Plus thingie is required to be able to play the game.

LOL Well...I thought those posts I read were a bit suspect, now  I know for sure.  slywink  I think I'm still going to get this, but good God does it ever sell for a lofty price in my neck of the woods considering how old it is. Even preowns sell at steep prices. Geez, maybe I should keep holding off for a few more years just in case it's remade for the WiiU, but with proper control implementation this time.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »

Still playing. On the 3rd temple (the desert one). Still feeling mixed about this. There are some very fun Zelda moments, but the controls are as much a negative as they are a positive. Twilight Princess handled the motion controls much better. Things like aiming with the remote work mostly well, though it's irritating that L targeting can't be used for shooting weapons. The sword controls are still mostly a struggle and more often irritate me than entertain. I also find the bomb throwing controls fine out of combat, but when I had to use them in a boss fight, once again it was an artificial, frustrating difficulty increase.

The content of the game is excellent thus far. It would be nice to have the option to disable Fi or whatever they named the hint system in this game. The hand holding as referenced before is a drag...

-John

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: