http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:37:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword  (Read 4855 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »

and the review is up: http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-review/

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 11, 2011, 01:15:56 PM

Our review goes live at 9 PST. Not sure why we got a different embargo time than everybody else.

Because Miyamoto is a bitch. nod icon_lol
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »

The review confirms what I think the world knows at this point: Skyward Sword is a masterpiece  icon_cool

Can't wait to get into it, I'm excited to see just how great the motion controls are.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »

Can't wait to see what naughty gestures I can do with the sword  icon_lol

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 02:16:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2011, 11:24:15 PM

Years of labor to create a masterpiece of a game, and all you want to make naughty gestures with the sword?? slywink

Sean Lama
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 14, 2011, 02:16:36 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2011, 11:24:15 PM

Years of labor to create a masterpiece of a game, and all you want to make naughty gestures with the sword?? slywink

Lets be fair about this. The WiiMotionPlus will allow him to make the most accurate naughty gestures possible. So yeah he should be excited.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »

40/40 from Famitsu  eek

Thanksgiving break can't come soon enough.

The TechCrunch article lists the rest of the games that have received perfect scores, including Bayonetta. Bayonetta?? I guess I need to play that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:35:52 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 16, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

40/40 from Famitsu  eek

The TechCrunch article lists the rest of the games that have received perfect scores, including Bayonetta. Bayonetta?? I guess I need to play that.

Keep in mind Nintendogs was on that list as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 16, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

40/40 from Famitsu  eek

Gamespot gave it a 7.5. I can't imagine the amount of shit that reviewer is going to take from Zelda fanboys.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

They have a history lately of giving Zelda titles lower scores. I believe they gave Wind Waker an 8.3 or 8.4.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 16, 2011, 07:56:53 PM

They have a history lately of giving Zelda titles lower scores. I believe they gave Wind Waker an 8.3 or 8.4.

9.4  By comparison, Twilight Princess got an 8.8.

Personally, I would have been okay with an 8.3 for Wind Waker.  There weren't enough quick-select slots for inventory items to avoid needing to pause the game and reconfigure things every couple minutes, and the whole segment where you had to pay increasing sums of money to Tingle to decode treasure maps so you could dredge up pieces of the Triforce was incredibly tedious.  It wasn't a bad game; it just stumbled moving into the last act.

Twilight Princess avoided those mistakes while adding some neat gadgets to the traditional arsenal and adopting an art style that suited the game's story perfectly.  I also *loved* the motion controls for things like aiming the bow, so I consider it my favorite game in the franchise. 

I have extremely high expectations for Skyward Sword.  A 7.5 is a shockingly low score for such a renown franchise, so it'll be interesting to see how my experience with it compares.

-Autistic Angel
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 12:42:49 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 16, 2011, 07:56:53 PM

I would have gotten WW like a 6... it sucked.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »

Sorry, I meant Twilight Princess, but it was 8.8.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »

Oh, and Wind Waker was great. All Zeldas are.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »

The GameSpot reviewer pins troublesome controls as the chief issue with the game; strange considering most other reviewers are saying the complete opposite. It's also annoying to me that some games get knocked for not being different enough from its predecessors (in Skyward's case at GS) and not others, like Skyrim and Uncharted 3.

Either way, you don't really need reviews to tell you if a game is good or bad. Watching a few gameplay videos tells you what you want to know, and I was ecstatic about Skyward Sword long before reviews began surfacing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:45:46 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »

Skyward Sword in HD using a PC based emulator: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=19897

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2011, 01:26:00 AM

Skyward Sword in HD using a PC based emulator: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=19897

I never look at those. It's bad enough having other platforms with HD games to compare to, but having THE game itself to compare to in HD is demoralizing.

Sean Lama
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 07:48:11 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 17, 2011, 02:43:49 AM

Either way, you don't really need reviews to tell you if a game is good or bad. Watching a few gameplay videos tells you what you want to know, and I was ecstatic about Skyward Sword long before reviews began surfacing.

Hah - coming from a staffmember of a review site, thats funny ;-)

A new one
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2011, 07:48:11 AM

Quote from: Ridah on November 17, 2011, 02:43:49 AM

Hah - coming from a staffmember of a review site, thats funny ;-)

We do other stuff too, ya know slywink

Besides, all I'm saying is that you can get a pretty accurate gauge of the quality of a game by watching the gameplay videos. Good games look good, bad games look dubious, it's as simple as that. Reviews still have their place, I enjoy reading them.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:17:30 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »

Yeah, I understand - I just got a good laugh out of your comment on an otherwise annoying day :-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »

Just got a text from GameStop that they're doing a midnight release, not sure if I'll go or not.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »

...So did you go or not?

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »

CeeKay why would you ever go?  You have 500 games you haven't even opened yet!!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »

If he's buying from Gamestop, picking it up at midnight is the best chance he has of getting one that hasn't been opened.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 20, 2011, 01:24:28 PM

...So did you go or not?

-Autistic Angel

ended up skipping the midnight release, gonna go in a little bit to grab it.  not sure why I'd get an opened copy though since I pre-ordered.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »

There were no midnight launches for the game in my area, as far as I know. I'm about to head out and pick up my copy. I bought the little plush toy Link while I was there to pre-order, too  icon_biggrin

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

picked up my copy and only got to play for about 10 minutes before my food was ready.  was kinda bummed when I took the game out of the box and held it over my head this sound didn't happen.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »

If you're planning on getting the strategy guide with this, TRU is giving away a $25 gift card with both.  If you just buy the game, it's only a $10 GC.

Also, I found out that the Reward Zone card is about to get really good.  10% off your purchases and some sort of $100 shoppers card (the guy wasn't sure what that was).  My instinct tells me that the 10% deal won't last forever, but it's supposed to be for the next year at least.  Unless the guy misundestood and it's only now through this Christmas.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »

You can mak Link take a dump  eek hahaha...

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 20, 2011, 08:46:19 PM

You can mak Link take a dump  eek hahaha...

icon_lol saw that.  I was wondering if it was going to be a save point

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 20, 2011, 08:40:01 PM

Also, I found out that the Reward Zone card is about to get really good.  10% off your purchases and some sort of $100 shoppers card (the guy wasn't sure what that was).  My instinct tells me that the 10% deal won't last forever, but it's supposed to be for the next year at least.  Unless the guy misundestood and it's only now through this Christmas.

If you sign up for their paid Gamers Club service ($15/year) you get 10% off preowned games.  That could have been what the clerk was referring to.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »

Played for a couple of hours and made it through the first dungeon and overall I really like the game.

I am having a small problem with the sword controls.  When I try to change the sword position it thinks I want to swing and it gets blocked.  You can swing pretty fast and it does keep up with you but that initial hit it hard for me to make. Flying and shooting the boomerang feels good since you can calibrate the position at anytime, I've found it to be out of whack quite a bit though.

It is hard after playing games at 1080P to go to 480p but the gameplay makes up for the graphics.  You do have some new moves as Link and his movement feels good, you do have to line up jumps which can be a little tricky.
The story is so-so but it does have some small laughs in their and the characters are likable.  I do like the menu shortcuts that they added and I haven't had to go into the stock menu but once, it's nice to change your tools quickly.  The stamina meter is kind of cool in that you do have to be careful how much and quickly that you move so that you have enough juice to get to where you need to.  There are a lot of save points so I never got frustrated while missing a jump as it does put you right back into position.  My shield did get destroyed in the first dungeon so you do have to be careful. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:26 PM »

I put a fair amount of time into the game yesterday, here are my impressions thus far:

I'll get my main issue out of the way immediately so I can give you guys a blob of gushing text. Believe it or not, and I know this was something NO ONE could have foreseen, but my primary gripe is the graphics. The art direction so far is wonderful and truly the game looks beautiful at times. Also, just as a disclaimer and some of you know this already, I'm an outlier when it comes to graphics. I have a high-end PC that plays the likes of Battlefield 3 on max settings, I also regularly call 360 and PS3 games ugly. That being said, I went into Skyward Sword with an open mind and because of that I'm only slightly disappointed with the graphics rather than completely turned off by them. Like I said, wonderful art direction (think of a cross between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), Link's animations are surprisingly fluid, and character/monster designs are attractive and interesting. The bad: Jaggies, the worst view distance in recent memory, and occasionally washed out textures. STILL, and I must stress this, the game still looks beautiful and I'm fully immersed in it.

Now, aside from the graphical power of the Wii holding the game back on a technical level, I love just about every aspect of Skyward Sword. The music is phenomenal and draws you in better than most mega-budget, AAA 360/PS3/PC releases could ever hope to. I care about Link, I care about Zelda, I care about their world and everyone in it. This game, if you allow it to, will remind you what it's like to feel that childish giddiness you get from stepping into a wondrous new world - think the first time you walked into Disneyland, or the first time you played a Mario game. I was captivated immediately.

I haven't played a Wii game in at least two years, so the motion plus stuff is all new to me. I've read a bunch of reviews and impressions for the game and while most people love the controls, there are certainly those who dislike them. I fall into the category that loves the controls, but I can empathize with those who don't. The problem with the motion controls is that they can be awkward at times, there have been plenty of moments where the cursor was being weird or I had to twist my wrist into an uncomfortable position to get the control I wanted. However, the placement of my sensor bar is probably higher than most other people due to my TV sitting in a high position within the room so that might be causing some issues. Something of interest to also note is that most of the control issues are during the non-primary gameplay, such as perusing menus and flying. When it comes to combat, general movement, and using items like the slingshot or simply drinking potions, the issues are almost non-existent.

Okay, so what about Zelda's controls do I love? COMBAT. The first time I performed a spin attack with my sword using the motion controls I felt like more of a badass than almost ever before in a game (perhaps those who regularly play Wii games will be used to this, but it was new to me). The position of the sword in-game mimics the way you are holding the wiimote with surprising accuracy - when you twist your wrist in real-life, Link follows suit in the game. There is a slight lag time between your personal movements and Link's, but it has no negative effect on combat. This opens up a whole new realm of combat possibilities: You will be slicing vertically, horizontally, diagonally, and thrusting at enemies to find a weak point. With the nun-chuck in your other hand, the shield is called upon with the flick of your wrist. You will be amazed at how good the combat feels, I can't think of a game that has better melee combat than this.

As for the story, I'm thoroughly interested and motivated by the beats of the narrative. I'm not a die-hard Zelda fan - I've put only a handful of hours into OoT, got maybe half way through Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, and skipped Twilight Princess altogether. If this is the same story as in all those games, like I've seen it mentioned at other places, then I must have had my memory flashed at some point because it feels new to me. If you like a good story in a video game, I'm pretty sure Skyward Sword has you covered. I've also heard criticism towards the fact that there isn't any recorded dialogue. First of all, there is, it's just used sparingly and in some non-human language. Strangely enough, I miss the days where low-budget voice acting wasn't constantly chiming in my ears and welcome Zelda's text driven dialogue.

I play a lot of games. I recently played through Dead Space 2 again, I beat RAGE, I play Battlefield 3 regularly, and so on. I'm having more fun with Zelda: Skyward Sword than I did with any of those. It's an old-school experience with a cutting-edge control scheme, which is an odd thing to wrap your mind around at times but it works very well. It hits all the nostalgic notes you would hope a classic Nintendo franchise to hit. I can't recommend Skyward Sword enough... to everybody.

Unless you don't like story-driven single-player experiences and spend your days toiling away in Gears/Halo/CoD multiplayer, in that case even this game won't save you slywink
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:09:15 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »

Another semi-full day of Zelda.

The graphics are, sadly, starting to demoralize me. The textures are just plain ugly. It was bugging me today during the first temple (dungeon), which reminded me of one of the original dungeons in World of Warcraft, that the dungeon in WoW looked better than this. And that was 7 years ago. Then I started becoming concerned that perhaps I should be spending my Thanksgiving break with Skyrim, which my twitter feed is full of tweets praising it. CliffyB said Skyrim is the best game he's played since the original Legend of Zelda  icon_eek

The controls are also not holding up as well as combat and platforming situations become more complex.

I'm still highly enjoying the game, but the story is kind of on cruise control at the moment which I think is causing me to focus more sharply on the other elements of the game. Hopefully things will pick up and I'll be drawn back as much as I was with the first 6-7 hours.

Sean Lama
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up, Ridah. I appreciate your thoughts on the game and especially the controls.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

I can not see how this game is garnering 10/10s. The game has solid art direction, but overall the textures and environmental complexity are very poor. I've seen several games on the system make better use of the hardware. The storyline is standard fodder and the dungeons have not been very inspiring.

I've heard that the game picks up past hour 10 or so, but I think far too many people are reviewing this game with nostalgia warping their objectivity. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »

I kind of hate the bird.

I was okay with him, but then I returned to town from the surface and realized I would have to fly him back every time I wanted to do that.  It takes time.  Every time.  And getting him to the right elevation is a pain.

I realize the sky isn't as vast as the ocean was, but it feels like more of a chore to move around it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:24 AM »

Keeps me company when I'm away from home  icon_lol

Sean Lama
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 12:45:50 AM »

Nice, where'd you get him at again?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: