http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:44:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] 4.7 Million Wii VC titles sold  (Read 1551 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2007, 05:09:05 PM »

Think the Nintendo VC hasn't been a huge success? Think again. Via Next-Gen:

Nintendo has revealed that Wii owners have downloaded over 4.7 million classic games from Wii's Virtual Console since launch. The figure equates to over 1000 downloads per hour since November 19, 2006.

The top five classic games downloaded to date are Super Mario Bros (NES), Super Mario 64 (N64), Mario Kart 64  (N64), Super Mario World (SNES) and The Legend of Zelda (NES).

Zelda II The Adventure of Link will become the 100th classic game available for download via the Wii Shop Channel when it is released on June 4.

"With an Internet connection rate reaching 40 percent, Wii owners have more options than ever to find the kinds of games they love to play," said George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications.

That's a lot of classic gaming.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:12:21 PM »

And Zelda II is what they celebrate with?  Ugh.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 01, 2007, 06:12:21 PM

I've never played Zelda 2 so I can't really comment... but my gut tells me that a celebratory offering of Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64 is more in order here.  slywink

With an average medium price for VC games of about $7.50, that
amounts to about 35.2 million in total cash sales in just over 6 months!

So-o-o-o on that note...how long until the money printing DS get's posted in this thread? smile
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:28:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:25:25 PM »

Zelda II is cool for me, I'd like to replay it, and $5 is a good price.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »

zelda 2,we have had that for a while on euro VC....its okay,but its the black sheep of the Zelda series...side scrolling!!

and i would of guessed that VC was a success,the normal Wii games for it are pants!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan
zelda 2,we have had that for a while on euro VC....its okay,but its the black sheep of the Zelda series...

...at least until we start getting VC titles from the Phillips CD-i.  Skwadalah, I am off!  ninja2

-Autistic Angel

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »

Someone needs to take the "printing money" gif of the DS and change it to a Wii. Also, I've been debating snagging some more VC titles. Further proof that Nintendo doesn't need to publish any new games when they can make millions off of the old ones. I sincerely hope the rumors of a flood of highly polished Wii titles coming this holiday season prove true. Imagine if there is a deluge of genuinely high profile titles for the Wii all of which use the controller in remarkably fun ways and look cool besides. Nintendo will crush Sony and Microsoft in one fell swoop and will show how the pursuit of bigger and better graphics does not always equal better gameplay. icon_cool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 01, 2007, 06:21:22 PM

I've never played Zelda 2 so I can't really comment... but my gut tells me that a celebratory offering of Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64 is more in order here.  slywink

INDEED!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »

If you ignore the entire Zelda part of the game (and how it has very little to do with the series as a whole), it's actually a pretty good (for the time) Action/RPG. IMHO, obviously.

And I'm at work right now, as otherwise I'd drag out the old DS Printing Money pic. Or make a Wii Printing Money pic. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »

for old software DAMN. just DAMN.  eek

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:00:53 PM »

Screw all of you; Zelda 2 was awesome.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 11:36:59 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on June 01, 2007, 08:00:53 PM

Zelda 2 is pretty much made me quit the franchise.

I came in as a young kid expecting more legendary play like in the original and we got crap sidescrolling. Bah.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 11:48:19 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 01, 2007, 06:42:24 PM

Imagine if there is a deluge of genuinely high profile titles for the Wii all of which use the controller in remarkably fun ways and look cool besides. Nintendo will crush Sony and Microsoft in one fell swoop and will show how the pursuit of bigger and better graphics does not always equal better gameplay. icon_cool

Err... Probably not.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 03:58:47 AM »

I really disliked Zelda 2 as well.

I still have not bought anything on the VC. The pricing is ridiculous, but what really stops me from getting anything is not being able to transfer the games to another Wii if I ever had to. I am sure I will break down eventually though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 05:32:59 AM »

Quote from: JSL on June 02, 2007, 03:58:47 AM

I still have not bought anything on the VC. The pricing is ridiculous, but what really stops me from getting anything is not being able to transfer the games to another Wii if I ever had to. I am sure I will break down eventually though.

Well, technically Nintendo keeps track of all of your purchases. If you keep your Wii number handy, and you have to send in your console for repairs, you should be able to tell Nintendo this and they'd be able to transfer them or give you credit somehow.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 05:42:11 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 01, 2007, 11:36:59 PM

Quote from: Dimmona on June 01, 2007, 08:00:53 PM

Zelda 2 is pretty much made me quit the franchise.

I came in as a young kid expecting more legendary play like in the original and we got crap sidescrolling. Bah.

Then you missed the best Zelda games there were.

Ridah: give up the hate, Nintendo is big again.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2007, 05:32:59 AM

Well, technically Nintendo keeps track of all of your purchases. If you keep your Wii number handy, and you have to send in your console for repairs, you should be able to tell Nintendo this and they'd be able to transfer them or give you credit somehow.

I also believe there's an option to register your Wii with Nintendo so that VC game purchases will automatically be registered. I can't remember if this is an option in the Wii configuration or an option on the nintendo.com website.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 04:20:10 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 02, 2007, 03:20:21 PM

I also believe there's an option to register your Wii with Nintendo so that VC game purchases will automatically be registered. I can't remember if this is an option in the Wii configuration or an option on the nintendo.com website.

Stop trying to convince me that I need to download Gunstar Heroes...

I know Nintendo will transfer your content onto a new Wii for you or make sure it is still available on your current Wii, but what if your Wii is destroyed (fire, etc)? Everything I have read indicates you lose.

Nintendo is definitely big again and they have an awesome second half of the year lineup.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 04:21:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 02, 2007, 05:42:11 AM

Ridah: give up the hate, Nintendo is big again.

but without his hate he is nothing  Tongue

I never played Zelda 2.  If ATB hated it then there must be something good there-  now to just get that LAN adapter......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 05:30:15 PM »

Quote from: JSL on June 02, 2007, 04:20:10 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 02, 2007, 03:20:21 PM

I know Nintendo will transfer your content onto a new Wii for you or make sure it is still available on your current Wii, but what if your Wii is destroyed (fire, etc)? Everything I have read indicates you lose.

Nintendo is definitely big again and they have an awesome second half of the year lineup.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, that if you were able to provide proper evidence, if Nintendo Customer Service helped out in that situation. Also, in a fire or even theft, you would normally report those losses to your insurance company, and actually get reimbursed. And while on that subject, my $100 in virtual console purchases would be the last thing on my mind after a fire, at least for several months.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »

You haven't downloaded Gunstar Heroes? Possibly the best 2D sidescroller shooter ever created? What's wrong with you man? biggrin

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 02, 2007, 05:30:15 PM

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, that if you were able to provide proper evidence, if Nintendo Customer Service helped out in that situation. Also, in a fire or even theft, you would normally report those losses to your insurance company, and actually get reimbursed. And while on that subject, my $100 in virtual console purchases would be the last thing on my mind after a fire, at least for several months.

Probably true. You are correct about insurance as well. I wouldn't be worrying about my VC games either in case of a fire.

Zoom or Granada would probably tempt me enough to purchase them. The Genesis Rocket Knight games would also be mighty tempting.

How does saving work for games without a save ability? I have heard you can stop and continue where you were? How do most of you play the games, with GameCube controllers, classic, or just the remote?
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 05:54:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2007, 05:48:07 PM

You haven't downloaded Gunstar Heroes? Possibly the best 2D sidescroller shooter ever created? What's wrong with you man? biggrin

Well, you see, I actually bought it on the Genesis the day it came out and played the hell out of it. It is my favorite 2D sidescroller shooter and it probably is the best.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »

Quote from: JSL on June 02, 2007, 05:52:20 PM

How does saving work for games without a save ability? I have heard you can stop and continue where you were? How do most of you play the games, with GameCube controllers, classic, or just the remote?

Most games have a stop and continue feature in them. Some that only save at certain spots (save points and the like) may or may not have that feature for whatever reason. Just sorta depends on the title.

And to answer your second question - yes. smile
NES games, TG16 titles, and some Genesis games can be happily played with just the Wiimote. The SNES and N64 games pretty much require either a Gamecube controller or the Classic Controller (due to lack of buttons).

As for me, I usually use the Classic Controller. Works for all games and is wireless (especially useful since the short Gamecube controller cable just doesn't reach where I sit).

Quote from: JSL on June 02, 2007, 05:54:34 PM

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2007, 05:48:07 PM

Well, you see, I actually bought it on the Genesis the day it came out and played the hell out of it. It is my favorite 2D sidescroller shooter and it probably is the best.

All more the reason to buy it again. You'll never have to worry about finding your cart or dragging out your Genesis ever again. Do it!  nod
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 07:59:07 PM by Destructor » Logged

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 02, 2007, 07:51:10 PM

Most games have a stop and continue feature in them. Some that only save at certain spots (save points and the like) may or may not have that feature for whatever reason. Just sorta depends on the title.

All more the reason to buy it again. You'll never have to worry about finding your cart or dragging out your Genesis ever again. Do it!  nod

Does Gunstar Heroes have a stop and continue feature? Does anyone know of a list that indicates which games have the feature?

I actually do not have a Genesis or the cart any longer. I do have my SNES & games still though and that probably means I will not download any SNES VC games, unless Square released FF3 and ChronoTrigger.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 02:25:11 AM »

I'm pretty sure every game except for the N64 ones have the stop and resume feature. Every game I've bought allows you to hit the home button and go to the Wii menu and when you return you are back where you left.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »

That's a pretty impressive number. To be honest, the way that teh wii is sold out in a lot of stores around here I wouldn't be surprised if it actually came in second in the next gen gaming supremacy battle.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: