http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:11:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Super Metroid] Am I just dumb?  (Read 676 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:34:17 AM »

So I fired up Super Metroid for the first time, got the morph ball and started exploring.  I wind up dropping down into a cavern that appears to only have an exit with a red door, which I don't have the right beam to open yet.  I go back the way I came and...hey, I can't get back up!

I am just missing something or are there complete dead ends in this game that require a reboot of the machine?

I didn't want to go look at a guide yet until I verified that this is not just a "feature".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:36:17 AM »

You can never get into a dead end in Super Metroid. Do you have missiles? Red doors require a few missile shots.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:53:41 AM »

Oh, I tried that but I guess I didn't shoot enough times.  The game needs more hand holding like Metroid Prime smile Gamers must have been smarter in those days.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 03:20:12 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 02, 2007, 01:53:41 AM

Oh, I tried that but I guess I didn't shoot enough times.  The game needs more hand holding like Metroid Prime smile Gamers must have been smarter in those days.

Nah, we just read the manuals.

You can find that information by hitting the home button, by the way.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:15 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 02, 2007, 01:53:41 AM

Don't feel too bad about it Teggy, I got hung up on that at 1st too. I think SM is more of a challenge for people that haven't played the original NES game such as myself. It also has some game mechanics that were more common to the 16-bit console era. I played the GBA Metroid Fusion game and I never got hung up like I occasionally did in SM.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:11:27 AM by kronovan » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »

Read the manual?  How primitive.

I went down and read the manual this morning and it does lay it right out for you.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »

If you want to see how convoluted Super Metroid is then check out the speed runs on YouTube. If you don't want spoilers then just give it the first two minutes. I guarantee your head will be spinning from all the nooks and crannies this game has.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 04:57:04 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 02, 2007, 03:44:07 PM

If you want to see how convoluted Super Metroid is then check out the speed runs on YouTube. If you don't want spoilers then just give it the first two minutes. I guarantee your head will be spinning from all the nooks and crannies this game has.

Between Super Metroid and the original Metroid Prime 1 (as far as speed runs go), you will see some things that are just amazing and were NEVER intended by the developers.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

Super Metroid and A Link to the Past were, for a good while, the only games on the SNES I owned, so I replayed both a ton. Got really good (least, so I thought) at Super Metroid speed runs, figuring out a lot of unintentional shortcuts just for fun. I love that game still to this day. It's another perfect 10. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: