http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Sony] Blockbuster chooses Blu-ray  (Read 1535 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:11:51 PM »

Big news for Sony:

----------
Leading rental chain Blockbuster has taken sides in the format war. According to the AP, although Blockbuster has been renting both HD DVD and Blu-ray movies in 250 stores, starting next month the company has decided to offer Blu-ray in 1,450 stores.
----------

This is huge news for Sony, obviously. At this point, being someone who does not own either an HD-DVD or Blu-ray set of any sort, I would definately go with Blu-ray. I'm happy for Sony, it's a big win for them and hopefully will be a driving force in consumers supporting the PS3. Hopefully Sony can pick up the slack in the gaming department and turn things around.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:25:13 PM »

Good choice

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »

As Orpheo pointed out in IRC... Blockbuster also is the company that once chose Pan and Scan over Widescreen DVDs.

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 18, 2007, 11:26:16 PM

As Orpheo pointed out in IRC... Blockbuster also is the company that once chose Pan and Scan over Widescreen DVDs.

gellar

I'm waiting for the Pan and Scan Blu-Ray movies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:48:59 PM »

I have no clue what pan and scan even is, so I'm going to assume Blu-ray has a bit more going for it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 12:03:25 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 18, 2007, 11:48:59 PM

I have no clue what pan and scan even is, so I'm going to assume Blu-ray has a bit more going for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan

Pan and scan is a method of adjusting widescreen film images so that they can be shown within the proportions of an ordinary television screen, often cropping off the sides of the original widescreen image to focus on the composition's most important aspects.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 12:14:14 AM »

Cool, I can rent blu-ray instead of buying all the time.

The Bridle Trails Blockbuster is going to get plenty of blu-ray business from this cat!

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 12:17:11 AM »

Pand & Scan is a tool of the devil.. no, it's Satan's used toilet paper wadded up in a DVD box.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:41:58 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on June 19, 2007, 12:14:14 AM

The Bridle Trails Blockbuster is going to get plenty of blu-ray business from this cat!

Why TML no Netflix?

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:55:14 AM »

I think this is more important than you are letting on Gellar. BB is in decline as a B&M service, but they still control 70% of the rental market. This is a big, big blow to the foundering HD DVD market.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 19, 2007, 12:41:58 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on June 19, 2007, 12:14:14 AM

Why TML no Netflix?

gellar

Probably for the same reason as me-free game coupon every month, and free rentals just for sending your dvds back through the b&m store. The selection is worse, but its a decent deal.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »

I had a little bit of disposable income last week and I was in Best Buy trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on a PS3.  In an effort to convince myself of the value of the PS3 I went over to the (tiny) HD movie section to compare Blu Ray and HD-DVD offerings.  While there wasn't a huge number of either, there were more HD DVD titles I was interested in than Blu Ray.  In the end I just could not see myself ever turning on the PS3 once I finished Resistance, so I passed and decided to put the money towards a high end gaming laptop. 

I can't imagine anyone with a HD movie player not using Netflix, so I'm not sure how big of a deal is Blockbuster decision is.  My question is why make the choice now and drive some of your customers elsewhere?  Why not just offer both for a while?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 01:16:06 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 19, 2007, 01:02:20 AM

I can't imagine anyone with a HD movie player not using Netflix, so I'm not sure how big of a deal is Blockbuster decision is.  My question is why make the choice now and drive some of your customers elsewhere?  Why not just offer both for a while?

It's more of a consumer awareness thing- if the general public sees Bluray in store and not HD-DVD then it will help put Bluray, and not HD-DVD, in their mind as an HD optical format.  Maybe they aren't ready to pull the plug now but if they decide later (and expect Bluray players to be at the $200 price point in the next year if not sooner) then it might be enough to push them that way since they know they can rent movies for the format at their local rental store. 

Netflix, even though it's huge, is still more of an enthusiast market.  Blockbuster B&M stores are "mass-market" and mass-market is what both HD-DVD and Bluray are racing toward. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »

Maybe it's an American thing but I don't even know what Netflix is-and I doubt if I asked 50 of my closest friends and family that they would either.  Why is a HD movie player owner more likely to use Netflix than a normal DVD player owner?  I bet everyone I know knows about Blockbuster.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:23:37 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 19, 2007, 01:18:56 AM

Maybe it's an American thing but I don't even know what Netflix is-and I doubt if I asked 50 of my closest friends and family that they would either.  Why is a HD movie player owner more likely to use Netflix than a normal DVD player owner?  I bet everyone I know knows about Blockbuster.

Netflix.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »

Why is a HD movie player owner more likely to use Netflix than a normal DVD player owner?  I bet everyone I know knows about Blockbuster.

I would guess that the majority of people who are knowlegable about the differences between Blu Ray and HD DVD have probably heard of Netflix.  You can potentially get 12 HD movies in a month for around $12. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 01:36:45 AM »

Despite being not that big a deal what with Netflix-like services taking huge chunks out of rental stores, it's still a win for Sony in general.

These rental companies probably aren't happy about there being 2 formats right now.  It means they have to keep more warehouse space for the same product.  So they're probably pressuring companies to cut the crap and settle on one format.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 01:39:37 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 19, 2007, 01:30:16 AM

Why is a HD movie player owner more likely to use Netflix than a normal DVD player owner?  I bet everyone I know knows about Blockbuster.

I would guess that the majority of people who are knowlegable about the differences between Blu Ray and HD DVD have probably heard of Netflix.  You can potentially get 12 HD movies in a month for around $12. 

Yeah considering the inflated prices of the HD-DVD/BD versions these days, all I do is Netflix.  I own less than a handful of HD-DVD/BD discs combined.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 01:49:42 AM »

I rent all of my blu-ray movies from Netflix.  LOVE IT!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 01:52:06 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 19, 2007, 01:39:37 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on June 19, 2007, 01:30:16 AM

Yeah considering the inflated prices of the HD-DVD/BD versions these days, all I do is Netflix.  I own less than a handful of HD-DVD/BD discs combined.

gellar

Yeah me too-and blockbusters selection online IS pretty terrible. Not sure whether I am going to switch back to Netflix or not-likely will depend entirely on how convenient B&M stores are to where I eventually move. The one free rental a month is nice, but its not THAT nice.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 04:01:20 AM »

Its been the best thing to happen for movie watchers in years. At least in the US.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »

So the existing blu-ray customer base is going to win the format war for Sony through rentals at Blockbuster huh?  Sounds pretty silly to me.  The great majority of average consumers are not going to spend 400 bucks on a blu-ray player just because Blockbuster chose blu-ray exclusively.  Here's a thought - why doesn't Blockbuster take it to the next level and get rid of dvds as well?  Just go all blu-ray!  I bet that will help Blockbuster slow down it's inevitable slide into obsolescence.  Or not.         

Both of the formats are failures and will more than likely be gone in a few years. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »

Actually, whichever format comes out with the first consumer-friendly  dedicated player (sub 200.00) will probably win the format war.  Honestly, I'm in no rush to upgrade

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »

From reading about this, it doesn't seem like Blockbuster is so much trying to influence the market as it is reacting.  They're not siding with Blu-Ray because they want Blu-Ray to win, they're siding with Blu-Ray because for them it was renting less terribly than HD-DVD, which hasn't been renting at all.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »

WOW, Im shocked someone in this forum NEVER HEARD OF NETFLIX. Even if its unavailable in Canada ( I have no idea and Im too lazy to look) there are ads EVERYWHERE on the net for it.

I hate blockbuster, ALMOST AS MUCH as I hate the Cablevision Mafia, I wont use their service.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: