http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 11:46:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Smash Bros) Favorite Character?  (Read 2252 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:37:19 AM »

I'm having difficulty finding my guy in Smash Bros.  I usually used Captain Falcon (just because he was so flamboyantly gay), but now I can't find anyone who matches what I like to do.  The closest I've found is Diddy Kong or Meta Knight.

Who are you using now?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:41:59 AM »

Snake.  I like all his smashes (especially his interesting up smash) and I can be crafty when I play as him, throwing grenades, shooting missiles or planting mines.  His jumping neutral A seems to have high-priority, as well.

When I feel overwhelmed because of his lack of speed, I'll throw down with Meta-Knight or Pit.

I'm looking forward to giving Olimar's weird-ass style a shot...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:12:13 AM »

I feel like Olimar is Brawl's Jigglypuff.  I never could figure out what the hell that pink idiot did.  All I could ever get him to do was run around, get punched, and fall asleep.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »

I was always a fan of Falco/Fox in Melee, but I have a tendency to go for Ike for whatever reason in Brawl. He packs one hell of a punch, and he's still reasonably maneuverable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

Not sure yet.  Meta Knight is cool, but I find I wind up relying on his side + B attack way too much. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »

I haven't tried everyone yet, but here's my first impression love/hate list so far (note: I've barely played the previous titles in the series):

Hate:
Pikachu - Hits like a baby, and isn't even all that quick.  Couldn't find a good standard way to attack
Samus (w/suit) - So friggin' slow, with awkard jumps.  Just too awkward to maneuver.
Falco - He's not really all that bad, but his jumps were awkward enough to get me killed repeatedly on one of the SSE platformer sections and I hate him now.

Love:
Marth - He may not be too good with aerial stuff, but he's a good variety of quick, strong sword attacks.  I like him much better than Ike, who's just too slow for me.
Pokemon Trainer - I haven't gotten used to Ivysaur yet, but between the nimble Squirtle and the hard hitting Charizard it's great to be so adaptable.  It's also really handy to be able to change pokemon as a defensive tactic to essentially gain a few seconds of invulnerability.
Pit - Just seems well rounded overall, and his flying ability makes for easy knock-out recovery--good for a SSB beginner like me
Meta Knight - Also seems really easy to be effective with as a beginner.

Some of the others seem pretty decent so far, but I think those are at the top and bottom of my list so far.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:43:23 PM »

Pit is good. Samus is good to start with too IMO.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 10, 2008, 03:37:19 AM

I'm having difficulty finding my guy in Smash Bros.  I usually used Captain Falcon (just because he was so flamboyantly gay), but now I can't find anyone who matches what I like to do.  The closest I've found is Diddy Kong or Meta Knight.

Who are you using now?

I'm kind of in the same boat.  No one's jumped out at me yet, though I'm leaning toward Meta Knight myself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

After yesterday, I hate my downstairs neighbor playing as Ness.  He discovered that he could use Ness' fire attack to lock people down, so he kept picking Ness and kept using that attack.  Constantly.  Combine it with the annoying sound effect that accompanies it, and I was annoyed.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 10, 2008, 02:34:59 PM

After yesterday, I hate my downstairs neighbor playing as Ness.  He discovered that he could use Ness' fire attack to lock people down, so he kept picking Ness and kept using that attack.  Constantly.  Combine it with the annoying sound effect that accompanies it, and I was annoyed.

INCANT FIRE! INCANT FIRE! INCANT FIRE!

Like that?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »

That's the one.

I didn't say anything about it, because I didn't want to put him off the game when he'd obviously found a strategy that he could make sense of.  I did smile on the inside when I every once in a while dodged around it and smashed him in the back of his stupid head.  That was fun.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »

You know, I was a Link fanboy in melee.  Loved him.  But he's also a tad bit too slow for my tastes.  I've been playing with Diddy Kong for a bit and I've enjoyed playing as him.

Pit and Meta Knight are obvious choices.  Both are fun to play as.

I'd have to say, right now, toss up between Diddy Kong / Link / Ice Climbers.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 01:41:26 AM »

Olimar is my new main.  He has one big time weakness, but is outstanding in nearly every area.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51:36 AM »

For some reason, I've quickly grown on Lucario ever since I unlocked him in the adventure mode. He has a NASTY down+A attack while in the air. It comes out very quickly, hits twice, and while it has a short hit duration, it tends to send people flying when it connects. I've abused his power in the final stage of the adventure mode to go nuts on everybody.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 02:03:10 AM »

Pit

I have no idea what I'm doing.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 03:46:59 AM »

I can tell you it ain't Fox.  I finished Classic on normal with him, but it was really annoying.  I hate that his side+B is a long dash because it's way too easy to accidentally shoot off the edge of the stage, and his up+B doesn't seem to work as well (or at all) after doing that.

I'm really liking Kirby so far.  I tried Metaknight, but he felt too fast for me to effectively control.  He might grow on me in time.  I think I prefer characters that have a quick down+B that gets them out of the air quickly, as something that can hit above them quickly.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 11, 2008, 03:46:59 AM

I can tell you it ain't Fox.  I finished Classic on normal with him, but it was really annoying.  I hate that his side+B is a long dash because it's way too easy to accidentally shoot off the edge of the stage, and his up+B doesn't seem to work as well (or at all) after doing that.

I thought that Fox's side+B wouldn't go past the stage (or platform) end. I know that some characters (Ike for example) won't charge off of the edge while doing their side+B as long as you're completely on the ground to begin with, and aren't 3 inches away from falling anyway.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »

I definitely had it happen more than once.  It's possible that I was in the air when it happened.  I haven't gotten used to the amount of chaos going on during a big fight, and the specific instance I remember it happening in was during one of the team battles in classic, where there were a number of enemies.  One had gotten hit way up, so the camera was really far back, and I was in the middle of the rest of the enemies.  Between the character scrum and the camera distance, I couldn't make out what was going on (and I have a 57" HD, so that's saying something).  Suddenly, some characters were flying up, and one was flying out into open air.  Took me a second to realize that was me.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »

Duke Nukem, I actually haven't got to play him yet but I just know he'll be the best. Can't wait to use his 'come-and-get-some' smash. Umm...he's in the game right?...I mean you can't tell me with all these other 3rd party toons in the game they missed Duke!  paranoid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:46:46 AM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 11, 2008, 05:45:06 AM

Duke Nukem, I actually haven't got to play him yet but I just know he'll be the best. Can't wait to use his 'come-and-get-some' smash. Umm...he's in the game right?...I mean you can't tell me with all these other 3rd party toons in the game they missed Duke!  paranoid

he's in there, but to unlock him you have to toss your Wii in the bathtub while it's still plugged in and you're standing in it  icon_twisted (plus it might void your warranty)

so far I'm liking Meta Knight, but he definitely feels like a cheese character.  The runner up is Diddy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »

Zelda/Sheik. Zelda is awesome for close group combat, sheik is great to wail on one person.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »

I also with you on Lucario.  I found that when I beat Subspace Emissary (yes, I beat Subspace Emissary), my guys were Donkey Kong, (spoiler alert!) Lucario, and Pit.  I also really like:
Spoiler for Hiden:
R.O.B
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »

I like King Dededede or whatever the giant penguin guy is named.  Smacking people around with a mallet-weilding, obese penguin has filled a strange, satisfactory niche within my existence that I had been unaware was empty or even existed.

He's slow, but all his special moves are easy to pull off.  I particularly like his rocket-hammer attack, since you can charge it up while moving.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »

I've put some time into Kirby and I have to say, I like him more than in Melee.  GATORFAVRE, DID YOU HEAR THAT!?  LINK + KIRBY CONNECTION?

But really, do like him a lot.  Peach, for whatever reason, is kinda hard for me to handle.  And, by the way, disabling jumping by pressing up on the stick has really made me feel much more in control of my character - would definitely recommend doing that.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »

Olimar, Snake, and Lucario are my three favs, currently.  Meta-Knight is a pretty awesome character, but entirely predictable and he lacks an effective smash.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »

I like playing as Pikachu.  He's small and quick which makes him tough to hit, his Quick Attack doesn't require any charge up time like Shiek's or Kirby's, his Tackle Attack and Thunderwave give him good ranged potential, and his Thunderbolt smash attack is devastating.

Also, when he picks up that special smash orb, I really like how he goes "PiiiiikaaaaCHUUUUUUUU!" while incinerating everything on-screen. icon_surprised

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »

The only problem I've noticed with Lucario is his lack of real smashing ability. Yeah, he can put out the damage, but he doesn't have a really powerful smash move that sends your opponents flying. Maybe down+A, but it's really slow to come out.

And attached is a screenshot of the game in action that I took. See my post in the other thread for instructions on how to get the game's screenshot function to be converted into a format you can pass around the 'net. biggrin

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

Lucario's downward smash works better in the air.  You can use it repeatedly, and each time you use it, it gives you a little bit more hangtime.  In other words, you can use it almost like stomping on someone's head over and over.  It came in really handy during Subspace Emissary.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 13, 2008, 03:08:34 PM

Lucario's downward smash works better in the air.  You can use it repeatedly, and each time you use it, it gives you a little bit more hangtime.  In other words, you can use it almost like stomping on someone's head over and over.  It came in really handy during Subspace Emissary.

Oh, definitely. I thought I said it that way way earlier in this thread, but who knows. Anyway, what I was looking for was a good smash to use while on the ground. I can't always get up into the air to cause all kinds of damage.

And
Spoiler for Hiden:
Wolf
is now starting to grow on me. He's only slightly slower than Fox, but a lot more powerful across the board. Occasionally, his down+A smash while on the ground gets bigger and more powerful, too. Not sure how or why it happens, but it's obvious visually when it does.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

I'm starting to enjoy the brutality of Donkey Kong.  I like his glowing ball move (it took me a while to figure out that it's a mini rhythm game), and I love his ground pound.  Moves lose impact the more you use them, but I find I can deal a lot of damage to anyone who wanders into the pound zone repeatedly.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »

DK's upward smash is fantastic.  I would make him my primary, but one of my friends uses him an awful lot, so I don't use DK more.  It's tradition.  Historically, I've used Captain Falcon, but I just can't excited about him this time around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: