http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [SC] Does anyone else...  (Read 1252 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2005, 02:04:37 PM »

Does anyone else besides me look at this picture and immediately think how incredibly awesome an MMORPG in the Starcraft universe would be if it had graphics like this!!!!  Surely I am not alone in thinking that, am I?

Taken from GT pics of Starcraft Ghost

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 03:58:11 PM »

La la la la I can't hear you la la la....

Bah, not working.

Do we really need another addiction? Isn't WoW enough?

Yes, it could be cool. It's an awesome setting, and has the potential to be an awesome gameplay experience, potentially even moreso than WoW, IMO.

Terran and Protoss, I can see. How to play the Zerg? Would you be a Cerebrate, and have 'pet' zerg species you'd call on for attacks/defense? I wouldn't think playing an individual Zerg 'unit' would work, nor do I really think you could play as a swarm of, say, zerglings.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »

Quote from: "greeneggsnham"
La la la la I can't hear you la la la....

Bah, not working.

Do we really need another addiction? Isn't WoW enough?

Yes, it could be cool. It's an awesome setting, and has the potential to be an awesome gameplay experience, potentially even moreso than WoW, IMO.

Terran and Protoss, I can see. How to play the Zerg? Would you be a Cerebrate, and have 'pet' zerg species you'd call on for attacks/defense? I wouldn't think playing an individual Zerg 'unit' would work, nor do I really think you could play as a swarm of, say, zerglings.

Yeah, the implementation of the zerg as a playable race would be a huge task if they wanted to remain true to the Starcraft formula (3xPvP).

Unlike WC, where really have one basic unit (humanoid) and everything radiates out from that, like armor and weapons, in SC, you would have to have completely different loot for each race. It might follow a similar form, but could not be the same (unless you, for example, wanted the protoss and zerg to use machine guns, which would be silly).

I would think the best bet, even though many would hate it, would just be to allow one faction, Terran, and go from there. It would remove the SC PvP dynamic unforunately, but I think it would allow for a stronger game in the end.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »

OK.  How about this?  Weren't there different factions of humans as well as "dark" type protoss?  Maybe you just have like 4 different races, but make the real choices come from lots of different class types and tech trees to specialize in?

That would be cool, no?

Look at that turret.  Would it not be cool to develop a skill to man that thing and take down zerg mutalisk A.I. or a Protoss corsair piloted by real players!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 04:38:32 PM »

Rather than an RPG MMO...I'm thinking it should be more like a Planetside MMO.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 05:30:48 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Rather than an RPG MMO...I'm thinking it should be more like a Planetside MMO.

This could work; however, to the best of my knowledge, no game that's tried to combine MMO with action/strategy/RTS has experienced the commercial success that the 'pure' MMO's have. I think they gather more of a niche market; most publishers would probably prefer a slice of the bigger pie.

I'd personally prefer 'World of Starcraft' to -not- be a hybrid, as it would drastically reduce the likelyhood of me playing it with my spouse.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »

No way man, a Savage clone would rule all.  You hear me? ALL.

Just Hiro will do.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 07:00:56 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

Holds his copy of Savage close.  My PRECIOUS!!!!  

Savage 2 would be a good engine for this.  It looks really nice.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 08:07:05 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

That could be pretty cool if done well.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 10:10:50 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Does anyone else besides me look at this picture and immediately think how incredibly awesome an MMORPG in the Starcraft universe would be if it had graphics like this!!!!

No.  There are too many MMORPGs out and coming soon.  The genre is taking over PC gaming, unfortunately.  Let Blizzard do its console action game thing with Ghost.  If it sucks, they won't release it.  Simple as that.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 12:36:56 AM »

Wait what?  Oh, it's a starcraft picture?  I was too busy examining her a--er I mean the alien landscape.  Yeah...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: