http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Rumor]XBOX 360 Price Drop, Core Canceled, HDMI in May  (Read 7252 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »

Wait, so what am I missing- they are already announcing a "price drop" on the Elite to the Premium price in late summer/early fall and the only difference is that the console isn't black?  So the only incentive someone gets for buying this when it comes out is that they get to pay $80 extra for a different color?

Truly wacky. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »

Yeah jesus.  What the hell, MS?

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2007, 11:36:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2007, 11:26:16 PM

Wait, so what am I missing- they are already announcing a "price drop" on the Elite to the Premium price in late summer/early fall and the only difference is that the console isn't black?  So the only incentive someone gets for buying this when it comes out is that they get to pay $80 extra for a different color?

Truly wacky. 

That, and its labeled Elite. For the L337 at heart. GG MS.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2007, 11:37:31 PM »

icon_eek

What the hell is the point of this system, Microsoft? Just to piss of your fans that have made you the #1 Next-Gen console in North America? I mean seriously, WTF!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 04:03:55 AM »

Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.

when it says "remain the same" does it mean the same as the elite, or the same as the current premium? its not really clear.

and this makes a ton of sense from the point of the system.  economically speaking, one of the little known ways of profit maximization is to exercise pricing power by charging multiple prices to multiple people - if person a is willing to buy at 500, but person b is willing to buy at 400, the company can charge 400 each and make 800, or it can charge 500 to the one willing to pay 500, 400 to the one willing to pay 400, and make 900.  the clever company is the one that figures out tricky little ways to do this - this is one such way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:06:15 AM by Doopri » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2007, 04:04:34 AM »

I read that the $479 version will also come with 1 year Live Gold and $30 in Marketplace points.  Making the cost a wash.  Not sure if it's true or not though.

In my opinion the L33T version is ill conceived.  The only explanation that makes sense is that they want to sell through current 20gig premiums before rolling out the 120gig versions. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »

I think MS is going to need to go public with this soon. For people on the fence (like me), all these rumors just make us wait longer to make a decision. I know i won't buy a new 360 until i know what is going to happen.

MS is going to lose the chance to grab new customers, especially if new Wiis start coming out of production soon.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 21, 2007, 04:04:34 AM

I read that the $479 version will also come with 1 year Live Gold and $30 in Marketplace points.  Making the cost a wash.  Not sure if it's true or not though.

That would be nice but once again I don't like items forced on me.  Of course it's probably the cheapest way they can add more value to this unit and still recover some of the extra cost involved in the new hardware and limited edition manufacturing of the black units.   

Quote from: denoginizer on March 21, 2007, 04:04:34 AM

In my opinion the L33T version is ill conceived.  The only explanation that makes sense is that they want to sell through current 20gig premiums before rolling out the 120gig versions. 

Agreed and it seems to make the most sense to me.
Leona-Windrider
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2007, 02:34:53 AM »

In a recent email from the higher-ups in Gamestop/EB confirms the new black 360 in the works, and says that once price (as others are saying rumored to be $479 and dropping the regular 360 to the current Core price) and details are confirmed fully they'll be starting to take pre-orders in limited quantities. 

An interesting fun fact: our Microsoft rep completely denies the existence of the black 360.  Either he's not in the loop or was being coy slywink
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »

Quote from: Leona-Windrider on March 22, 2007, 02:34:53 AM

In a recent email from the higher-ups in Gamestop/EB confirms the new black 360 in the works, and says that once price (as others are saying rumored to be $479 and dropping the regular 360 to the current Core price) and details are confirmed fully they'll be starting to take pre-orders in limited quantities. 

An interesting fun fact: our Microsoft rep completely denies the existence of the black 360.  Either he's not in the loop or was being coy slywink

If the current 'premium' is going to be reduced to the core price, then i'm definitely waiting to get one biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Jag on March 22, 2007, 01:37:25 PM

If the current 'premium' is going to be reduced to the core price, then i'm definitely waiting to get one biggrin

Everything we have read so far except for the rumor the new person posted above points to the exact opposite-the L337 version will sell through, and then the Premium will stay at 399.99 with the bigger HDD and HDMI port (but will be white again) and the 3Shitty system will stay exactly the same. Nowhere outside of speculation has it said any prices will be dropping-in fact one article specifically said the 399 price point is staying.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »

That's my understanding too.  The Premium will basically be getting a couple upgrades and remain at the same price.  This Elite unit is just a limited run collector's item.  The Core will stay the same, no?

The more I think about this whole situation this really isn't that big of a deal.  Yes, I do feel it's a mistake that they aren't just releasing it as the new Premium.  But the black color makes it a collector's item and if they include the extras then the price is a wash anyway.  Overall I don't think it helps them any, but I also don't think it really does any true harm either.  Unnecessary?  Yes.  Detrimental?  Not enough to matter in the long run.  The casual market won't care one bit and they'll be long gone by holiday season anyway.

However, I'll just wait for MS's official announcement with the set in stone details at this point.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2007, 02:16:26 PM »

FWIW, my sis-in-law is an "X-Box rep" for Microsoft (she's the one that services the store demo units, hands out all the nifty promo material, etc.).  According to her, they are usually the last people that are actually told anything of substance, and most of the info their reps get come from the same internet sources we read.

Funny side note:  She has absolutely zero interest in games or gaming and the only time she has ever even touched an X-box is on her service calls.  Yet, she's always considered the 'hawt gamer chick' whenever she does into the GS/EB locations.   icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

data transfer cable comes with the new hard drive...appparently

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/rumor-black-360-coming-with-data-transfer-cable-246283.php

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »

Good to know, and thanks for the info.  Not surprising in the least, though.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

Does anyone else think that this generation could become the most expensive in a long time. The 360 is approaching 18 months on the market and we don't even have a hint of a price drop. The PS3 is pricey and will continue to be there for a while. Game prices, aren't at an all time high, but for a disc based media they sure are. Games cost a lot more to make too, and that obviously has negative ramifications as well as positive. I don't think the sky is falling, but there has to come to a point where people just say no thanks, I'll take my disposable income elsewhere and find entertainment for less elsewhere.

I disagree, it's not just gaming that has become more expensive, it's everything if you look at it all. Hell, my cell phone was only $100 cheaper than my 360. To buy an HD DVD or Blue-Ray player for your movies, your also spending as much for a console if not more. Movies cost in the $15-25 range, and the amount of entertainment you get from a movie for the price doesn't scale like games. If you want music, you have to buy a $200 iPod or some other MP3 player, just to spend $10-20 on albums where 50% of the content is crap.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »

To buy an HD DVD or Blue-Ray player for your movies, your also spending as much for a console if not more.

Not if you buy a PS3!  You no longer need to buy a seperate player. Tongue

(sorry, that was too easy)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 22, 2007, 06:36:32 PM

Does anyone else think that this generation could become the most expensive in a long time. The 360 is approaching 18 months on the market and we don't even have a hint of a price drop. The PS3 is pricey and will continue to be there for a while. Game prices, aren't at an all time high, but for a disc based media they sure are. Games cost a lot more to make too, and that obviously has negative ramifications as well as positive. I don't think the sky is falling, but there has to come to a point where people just say no thanks, I'll take my disposable income elsewhere and find entertainment for less elsewhere.

I disagree, it's not just gaming that has become more expensive, it's everything if you look at it all. Hell, my cell phone was only $100 cheaper than my 360. To buy an HD DVD or Blue-Ray player for your movies, your also spending as much for a console if not more. Movies cost in the $15-25 range, and the amount of entertainment you get from a movie for the price doesn't scale like games. If you want music, you have to buy a $200 iPod or some other MP3 player, just to spend $10-20 on albums where 50% of the content is crap.

I'm not sure I really agree.  Hardware is of course driven by time on the market so the latest and greatest will likely cost you more but an HD-DVD or Bluray player won't really cost me more than I paid for my first DVD player in 1998.  And iPods can be had for much cheaper than $200.00 and generic MP3 players cheaper than $100.

And the media itself has definitely gotten cheaper.  Wait two or three months after release and you can get a DVD for $10.00 or less and wait a bit longer and it's probably only $5.00.  Meanwhile I was probably paying $20.00 a title for DVDs in 1998 and they didn't get price cuts as rapidly as now.  And before digital music hit, the record companies had such a stranglehold on the industry that you pretty much had to pay $15.00 for a new CD and you could almost forget a la carte pricing.  Now I can download an album for $10.00 and get a single song if I would like for just $0.99. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

I am pretty sure I am with Kevin. Other than the unfortunate increase in the base price of most next-gen games, it seems as if almost everything in electronics is cheaper than it was 10 years ago, goes on sale sooner than it used too, costs less for physical media, less for computers and related hardware, and less for most electronics. I just think the argument is pretty false on its face.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2007, 07:34:38 PM »

Ooh computer hardware- excellent point.  As over as I am on upgrading my stuff, you can build a really good gaming PC for about $1,000 these days (less sometimes) while it was pretty much closer to $2,000 for the stuff a decade ago. 
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 06:40:40 PM

To buy an HD DVD or Blue-Ray player for your movies, your also spending as much for a console if not more.

Rah, rah, ree! Kick 'em in the knee! Rah, rah, rass... kick 'em in the other knee!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on March 22, 2007, 07:47:10 PM

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 06:40:40 PM

Rah, rah, ree! Kick 'em in the knee! Rah, rah, rass... kick 'em in the other knee!

puke

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »

Here's one reason to not include HD-DVD:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4996&Itemid=2

Consumer choice...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 08:33:02 PM

Here's one reason to not include HD-DVD:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4996&Itemid=2

Consumer choice...

thumbsup

Good for them. Looks like they are seeing the writing on the wall at least now in regards to Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 08:36:56 PM

Good for them. Looks like they are seeing the writing on the wall at least now in regards to Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD.

This is something that Moore's said all along:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/11/the-plot-thickens-peter-moore-says-blu-ray-xbox-360-possible/
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »

Great news!  It doesn't matter to me who wins.  I was just waiting for one to come out on top and the prices to drop down to reasonable levels.  

And this just reaffirms my belief that MS never really cared about the HD optical war.  And why would they?  They backed it, but were they invested in it?  Honestly, I'm asking as I don't know.  Sony has a deeply vested interest in Blu-Ray coming out on top.  Although MS probably didn't mind keeping a little thorn in Sony's side, now that it's starting to flip they're not going to waste money on fighting a format war they don't care about.  I think they will be more than happy to support both as they continue to build the Marketplace service.  The larger HDD and HDMI will be coming out at a time when the Spring Dashboard update is due and the "new" Premium will be on shelves for the Fall when the second DB update hits.  A larger HDD and HDMI (1080p movie output to a standard TV input instead of VGA) are conducive to that strategy of pushing Marketplace content.

But they'll have all 3 formats as well.  HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and Marketplace.  They give me a choice and that's what I appreciate.

Now if they'd just reduce the prices on the movie rentals I'd be all over it.  It's honestly the only thing that keeps me from using the service.  I downloaded a movie the other night to try it out and the speed was relatively nice for a 4GB film.  Go with a Netflix style pricing structure and I'd be happy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:42:45 PM by Jancelot » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »

Well... MS does have a *bit* of a small interest in HD-DVD.  Java (Sun) is backing Blu-Ray, so it would be in MS' best interest of Blu-Ray were to fail, as it would be bad for their competitor.

That being said, it's not nearly as big an interest as Sony and Toshiba have in the game.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 22, 2007, 09:14:10 PM

Well... MS does have a *bit* of a small interest in HD-DVD.  Java (Sun) is backing Blu-Ray, so it would be in MS' best interest of Blu-Ray were to fail, as it would be bad for their competitor.

Nonsense, we love Sun!  Love!

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/42250/42250.html
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:11 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 09:16:14 PM

Quote from: gellar on March 22, 2007, 09:14:10 PM

Nonsense, we love Sun!  Love!

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/42250/42250.html

LOL.  Shotgun wedding if I've ever seen one slywink

gellar
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: