http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:26:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Raider  (Read 13488 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Here's Yahzee's take on TR.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 21, 2013, 04:06:33 AM

Well 90 percent of that stuff was in the uncharted games, especially number 3. Not a bad thing at all. Just saying you would also enjoy the uncharted series.smile

Yeah well, not quite at the point where I can justify getting a PS3 smile. I'd have gotten one too, if it weren't for my meddling kids! Just kidding. I love them, but they seem to eat into my discretionary fund faster than I can say "sequestration".

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 21, 2013, 01:25:49 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2013, 12:59:13 PM

Definitely play Uncharted 1 before Uncharted 2.  Just know that the second game is leaps and bounds better than the first (better than the third, too, IMO).

Quote from: Turtle on March 20, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

Also, Uncharted hasn't had guys who are bulletproof in a thin shirt since 2, and much like Tomb Raider, both games have heavily armored men that can soak up damage.

3 felt like a return to the lousy combat from 1 for me.  Not quite as bad, but not as good as 2.

I seem to remember them trying something new with the combat but after getting enough negative feedback about it patched the game so it would allow you to switch back to the old style. As an option. Or something.  icon_confused

It was the aiming controls.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »

I was looking at the achievements in steam and had to laugh at the "former adventurer" achievement (incapacitate 25 enemies with dodge counter). The graphic shows what looks to be an arrow in the knee.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:12 AM »

Well that's what the incapacitation move is...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:34 AM »

I think raydude's referring to the Skyrim meme.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:05 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 25, 2013, 02:36:34 AM

That's what I thought so I was pointing out that I didn't think it had anything to do with Skyrim but instead the fact that Lara actually puts arrows in her foes knees.

EDIT: oh wait, I guess "former adventurer" could be interpreted as having to do with Skyrim  icon_redface
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:33:37 AM by Teggy » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »

I just completed Tomb Raider. This is easily my game of the year so far. Impressive set pieces, fun combat, and the best interpretation of Lara yet. It also featured the most entertaining bow usage I've seen in any game.

I'm hoping Bioshock Infinite unseats Tomb Raider for my favorite game of 2013, but it won't be easy. And that is coming from someone who is a Bioshock fanboy.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 25, 2013, 03:32:05 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 25, 2013, 02:36:34 AM

That's what I thought so I was pointing out that I didn't think it had anything to do with Skyrim but instead the fact that Lara actually puts arrows in her foes knees.

EDIT: oh wait, I guess "former adventurer" could be interpreted as having to do with Skyrim  icon_redface

"I used to be an adventurer" = "former adventurer" smile

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »

Finally got some time to get back to this. Got near to the 'radio tower' bit and for some reason decided to jump back to the Mountain Village to get closer to 100%. Turned around at the top of a pick climb and saw an entrance I hadn't noticed before with two statues guarding it with two big dudes to kill just on the other side. And then I proceeded to die several times trying to jump to places I really wasn't quite able to reach.

Finally resorted to some googling and found I was there a little... early. Rope arrows. Which I no got. Yet.  icon_frown [sigh]

Back to the tower...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 25, 2013, 03:40:01 AM

I just completed Tomb Raider. This is easily my game of the year so far. Impressive set pieces, fun combat, and the best interpretation of Lara yet. It also featured the most entertaining bow usage I've seen in any game.

I'm hoping Bioshock Infinite unseats Tomb Raider for my favorite game of 2013, but it won't be easy. And that is coming from someone who is a Bioshock fanboy.

You thought TR was better than DMC?

I finished the game last week and if I were reviewing it I would have scored it in the 70s. I found Lara Craft and all the supporting characters to be drab and uninteresting, the same goes for the level design for 80% of the game (there were some interesting locations, like the bloody caves and the monastery). I liked the story, but having to find the hidden journals in order to flesh it out worked against it in my opinion because I didn't end up finding some of the journals and consequently missing some of the story. The gameplay had its moments, and I certainly had fun with the bow, but in many cases it felt like the straight-to-DVD version of Uncharted, particularly when it came to the traversal stuff, the highly linear/scripted action sequences, and the set pieces. I also didn't care for the skill system, at some point I stopped paying attention to what I was dumping points into because it didn't really affect my performance either way - I never had trouble mowing enemies down.

I was also peeved by the performance issues with my Nvidia card.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:27:26 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 01, 2013, 07:45:26 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 25, 2013, 03:40:01 AM

You thought TR was better than DMC?

I finished the game last week and if I were reviewing it I would have scored it in the 70s. I found Lara Craft and all the supporting characters to be drab and uninteresting, the same goes for the level design for 80% of the game (there were some interesting locations, like the bloody caves and the monastery). I liked the story, but having to find the hidden journals in order to flesh it out worked against it in my opinion because I didn't end up finding some of the journals and consequently missing some of the story. The gameplay had its moments, and I certainly had fun with the bow, but in many cases it felt like the straight-to-DVD version of Uncharted, particularly when it came to the traversal stuff, the highly linear/scripted action sequences, and the set pieces. I also didn't care for the skill system, at some point I stopped paying attention to what I was dumping points into because it didn't really affect my performance either way - I never had problems mowing enemies down.

I was also peeved by the performance issues with my Nvidia card.

TR > DMC for me, absolutely.  I finished Tomb Raider without taking it out of the drive.  DMC is good, but I'm only on mission 3 or 4.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2013, 12:44:19 AM »

Just finished the game, and I have to say it's my GOTY so far.  I've never been a big Tomb Raider fan, but this one finally nailed it.

The atmosphere and gameplay was engaging the whole way through.  And I loved the part at the end where she
Spoiler for Hiden:
grabs the 2nd gun and kills Mathieus.  I thought was a nice nod towards the future!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »

I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider games.  Partly because I thought Lara Croft is such a ridiculous character, and partly because that style of gameplay never really appealed to me.  I also haven't been a fan of the Uncharted series, mainly because I was absolutely god-awful any time I had to try and shoot anything.  So for some bizarre reason, I picked up the new TR game this afternoon and gave it a shot.

90 minutes in, and I'm absolutely floored by this game.  Interesting characters, absolutely incredible graphics (playing on PS3), fluid gameplay (even if I still can't shoot for shit), unique puzzles, and a fantastic story.  The first 30-45 minutes were about as intense a gaming experience as I've ever had. 

My only gripe so far is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Seeing Lara's horrified reaction to killing someone for the first time was incredibly well done.  30 seconds later, she's mowing people down by the bucketloads.  Seemed a bit silly, but I get why they had to do it.

Other than that minor nitpick, I'm totally gobsmacked at how much I'm enjoying this.  Talk about something out of left field...hope it holds up throughout.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »

I only really have two complaints and they're nothing too big

1: I felt it tried too much to be Uncharted.  Uncharted took it to the next level as far as the complete package, while TR just  mirrored instead of trying to push the genre even further.    Still a fun game, but nothing new

2: It took me until about 23 hours in that when you cycle through her guns (hey I didn't mean it that way) that the guns disappear.  So she'd be wielding a huge bow and arrow and all of a sudden I switch to the shotgun and the bow and arrow disappears.  The only thing that stays visible at all times is the pistol.  I know, it's a problem with pretty much all games this type, I just think it's a little more forgiving when it's a FPS, since you don't really see the character.

Other than that, an awesome game!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »

I'm not done with this yet but I'm enjoying it immensely, which means this will be one of a small number of games that I will actually finish... not a small feat for me. Always seems like something shiny comes along and distracts me.  icon_frown

It would have been awesome if they could have found a way to keep all of her weapons slung on her somewhere as she accumulates them. You'll see that in the cut scenes, from what I recall, too bad it just doesn't seem possible in game. Does anyone remember a game that actually did that? I don't... they are usually of the magically re-appear variety and tend to take me back to the first Leisure Suit Larry game where he could literally shove anything into his pants... err, inventory... including a 30 gallon trashcan IIRC.  icon_eek

I'm at the "escape the burning temple" section which is one ambush after another which means I tend to stop after dying too many times in a row and come back later for another try. Thankfully it is very forgiving when it comes to checkpoint saves.

-craig

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »

I beat it this morning and have to say I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was going to be a mess, but turned out to be a great deal of fun.  I've even been going back and picking up collectibles which I never do in games anymore.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

I finished this a few days ago.  Really good game but not my GOTY so far (that's Bioshock Infinite).  I felt some of the areas near the end stretched on a little too long.  I was just about ready for the game to end by that point.    What stands out for me are some of the environments: open forest area at night, the burning level, areas with intense wind etc.  

Also as everyone has already mentioned, this version of Lara is much better than cocky Lara.  I don't actually know if Lara was cocky in the last few games but I just had this image of her, not sure from where, Angelina Jolie to blame?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »

I'm about halfway through according to the save (the burning temple), and can easily say that TR is the most intense video game I've ever played.  Some of the set pieces are just brilliant and literally have me on the edge of my seat as I'm playing through them.  The bridge crossing was crazy.  I love the fact that the game encourages exploration but doesn't require it to advance the story.  I've never been one who finds searching high and low for every hidden doodad and widget to be much fun.  Nor am I particularly crazy about overly complex puzzles.  The fact that both of these elements are (mostly) optional is a fantastic design choice, IMO.

The only time I get frustrated is in the large open areas.  Shantytown drove me absolutely nuts...I got totally lost because it all looked the same.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »

And...finished.  If you would have told me a couple weeks ago that Tomb Raider would be my frontrunner for GOTY over Bioshock Infinite, I'd have said you were nuts.  However, this was absolutely a brilliant game from start to finish.  Tense, exciting, beautiful, thrilling, emotional..everything I could have asked for.  And this is coming from someone who has never liked a Tomb Raider game before and isn't really a big fan of the action genre.   In fact, I'd go so far as to put Tomb Raider in my top 5 for this entire console generation...it's that damn good.

I had a few minor gripes (the neverending waves of enemies towards the end got to be a bit much, I think they could have done more with the ending), but overall this game knocked my gorram socks off.  A+, two thumbs up, 99/100, GOTY, etc, etc.

snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »

I bought this from GameStop because I had it reserved for my pc. I didn't know it wouldn't be a physical copy, so, I had to use the Game Stop app to imput the code, then it took me to steam. Do I have to keep the game stop app to play the game, or is it now playable from steam without the app. I really don't want the Game Stop app on my computer. Any answers appreciated.

The quiet one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2013, 02:18:27 AM »

Quote from: snoleopard on May 20, 2013, 01:45:48 AM

I bought this from GameStop because I had it reserved for my pc. I didn't know it wouldn't be a physical copy, so, I had to use the Game Stop app to imput the code, then it took me to steam. Do I have to keep the game stop app to play the game, or is it now playable from steam without the app. I really don't want the Game Stop app on my computer. Any answers appreciated.

once you enter the code into Steam you don't have to worry about the Gamestop app.  Just don't uninstall Tomb Raider via the Gamestop app as it will probably delete the game from your HD altogether and you'll have to redownload it; I'm not sure if it pops up in there for Steam games though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »

Just waiting until the 28th to get this on sale at Amazon... Then one more game to add to the backlog..
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »

Thank you for answering CeeKay. I'm just going to delete it through my add/remove program and see what happens. Thanks again..

The quiet one.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »

So, there's some new DLC out for this:

Tomb of the Lost Adventurer
Now available in North America, explore the final resting place of an intrepid adventurer, and solve a puzzle involving a crashed plane to claim your reward.

Tomb Raider Online Survival Pack
This deluxe pack includes all of the content you need to survive online, including six weapons from Hitman: Absolution and four unique multiplayer characters.

Tomb Raider Adventure Pack
This deluxe pack will improve Lara’s chances of survival, including two weapon upgrades, three skill upgrades, and three outfits.

The first is obviously for the single-player game while the second is for multi. But the third isn't so clear cut, does anyone know if the 'Adventure Pack' is for single or multi or perhaps even both?

-craig

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »

Hey Punisher what's TR going for on the 28th at Amazon?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »

the first one was also a pre-order bonus; wish they had done some more SP DLC along with that one.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

Same here, which is why I'm wondering about that Adventure Pack.  icon_neutral

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 08, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

from the Steam page it appears that it gives you a bunch of free upgrades to skills and weapons earlier than you would normally get them in single player plus some new outfits.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2013, 05:03:09 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 08, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

from the Steam page it appears that it gives you a bunch of free upgrades to skills and weapons earlier than you would normally get them in single player plus some new outfits.

Ah yes... hover over each individual piece of DLC and it shows you - (single player upgrade) or (single player outfit).

-craig

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2013, 02:22:30 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 08, 2013, 04:09:30 PM

Hey Punisher what's TR going for on the 28th at Amazon?
I can't even remember.. but I ended up getting it from green Man Gaming for around $18 with codes and credit.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »

I bought the DLC tomb and it glitched on me and I can't finish it.  Looks like it was something that was free if you pre-ordered from Gamestop also.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »

I finally finished this last night and have to say that I think it was excellent from start to finish...not quite my GOTY (that has to go to The Last of Us), but still a great game and probably my #2 for the year so far. The gameplay was fun throughout, characters and story held my interest, and the visuals are some of the best of this generation (PS3). This wasn't even on my radar until all the favorable reviews and positive comments around here, but I'm really glad I picked it up...thanks forum effect!

With such a strong reboot of the franchise, I'm finally feeling excited for another Tomb Raider game again...wasn't sure that would ever happen icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »

looks like at least a PS4 version will be announced soon.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

next gen version just announced.  XB1/Ps4.  1-28-2014 release:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:21:35 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:12 PM »

Now everyone gets to experience next gen hair! Tongue

I do hope they worked on the hair though, the normal effect looked great, but there's scenes in the game where it just doesn't match.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 07, 2013, 11:35:12 PM

I do hope they worked on the hair though, the normal effect looked great, but there's scenes in the game where it just doesn't match.

yeah, from what I remember TressFX gave it a weird floating look, where is she was standing still it seemed her hair was floating about an inch off her body.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »

Damn looks like I will likely double dip on this as it seems to be more than just a PC port.  From PS Blog:

Hi everyone, I’m Scot Amos, executive producer at Crystal Dynamics. On January 28th of 2014, we’re bringing the award-winning Tomb Raider experience to PS4 in the form of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

Recreating our franchise for PS4 was a true labor of love for the team. The critically acclaimed story and action adventure remain solidly intact and as riveting as ever. However, we took the opportunity to use the increased horsepower of the hardware to create the Tomb Raider we always envisioned.

We had a core team here at Crystal collaborating with the super talented teams at United Front Games (who worked with Square Enix on Sleeping Dogs) and Nixxes (whom Crystal has partnered with since the Legacy of Kain days). Together, we pulled the game apart and painstakingly rebuilt it with enhanced visual fidelity, realism, and a new immersive richness to the world.

Getting our gameplay up to native 1080p meant increasing all of our texture resolutions by over 4x so the details and nuances can be seen in their full glory. However, it’s subtleties like our subsurface scattering technology — how we manage realistic lighting effects through solid/semi-solid matter — that we’re so proud of, which bring a new glow to Lara’s skin. All of these elements working in conjunction drive a much more realistic world than we’ve ever had.

The entire game world — the perilous island of Yamatai — is alive as well. Foliage bends as Lara pushes through it; trees whip in the wind; even cloth moves courtesy of new, more sophisticated physics modeling. Weather effects lash the island with unprecedented levels of venom, and rain particles are dynamically lit as they slice through piercing searchlights. The in-game cast has also enjoyed an upgrade — characters and enemies alike have been enhanced visually, while in-game destructibility has been given additional refinement to increase the sense that you are leaving a mark on this world.

However, as always, it’s Lara who’s the star of the show. As such, one of our boldest changes was to handcraft an all new, even more realistic head and face model for her, taking advantage of the increased power of PS4. This is our first glimpse of our next-generation Lara. We also drastically improved shader and lighting effects, adding dynamic sweat, mud, and even blood for a new level of visual acuity that reacts on Lara in different situations. Objects on Lara’s person like her climbing axe or arrows now independently react to her movements and sway or jostle with an obsessive eye for detail, further adding that nothing was too small for us to tackle.

Lara’s hair now benefits from TressFX technology — her hair strands are independently simulated and interact with environmental effects, as well as react to her every movement, delivering unprecedented, lifelike motion. This all-new Lara is Crystal’s first steps towards the future. It’s a promising, compelling beginning.

“Promising, compelling beginning” is a good description for our first few weeks in the PS4 era. We’re very proud of what our combined teams at Crystal, United Front Games, and Nixxes have accomplished with Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. Whether you’re a diehard fan who collects every Tomb Raider title, or just looking for a gripping, cinematic action-adventure to recommend to friends, we’ve got a great game for you. We’re thrilled to launch the game and hear your reactions. It’s been a privilege and a labor of love for us, and we hope you relish playing it as much as we did making it.

All the best for the holiday season.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

I hope they fix some of those awful quicktime/instadeath moments.  Game was great, but would be better if they lost those.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »

It sounds like all they did was improve the visuals. It looked very nice on PC, doesn't seem like a need to pay $60 to play the exact same game again.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: