http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Raider  (Read 15378 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »

Though I have the PC to run it, I decided to go for the PS3 version so that I could sell my used copy for the deluge of games coming in the next month.     I'll beat this one, sell it on ebay, and buy another.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »

The game looks really good on the PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

360 timed exclusive DLC

only multiplayer DLC though  icon_frown
Featuring three new multiplayer arenas to fight it out in, the Caves & Cliffs map pack is a timed Xbox 360 exclusive release.
It will be available to download from Xbox Live on March 19 priced at 400 Microsoft Points (3.43). The three new maps detailed below will be playable across all four of the game's online modes.

Scavenger Caverns: An extensive subterranean network of caves used by the island's scavengers as an underground prison
Cliff Shantytown: This scavenger settlement was built high up on the island cliffs. Its many layers hide some of the deadliest traps on the island
The Burning Village: A raging fire has embraced an abandoned Japanese village, the burning buildings offer multiple ways to escape or engage your enemies

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »

I'm hoping they realese some DLC of huge tombs to explore (a la Underworld).  It's the only thing I'm missing in this title.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »

Cross posted at OO

I ended up having yesterday off from work (for reasons unrelated to the deluge of interesting games that were released), so I spent most of the day playing Tomb Raider. I played through 26% of the game, according to my save file, although I'm probably farther along in the plot than that, since I'm guessing that number include collectibles, etc. Impressions (playing on PC, most settings on Ultra, without TressFX):

Most generally, the gameplay reminds me of Assassin's Creed, the level design of the Arkham games (more Asylum than City) and the setting of Lost (note: I only watched the first season of Lost). These are good things and, overall, I'm very impressed with the game.

Unquestionably, the best part of the game so far is Lara herself. This is not the comically cleavaged caricature from the past, although the game still doesn't shy away from down-her-shirt camera angles, at times. Lara feels like a very believable and real character. Especially at the beginning, the game emphasizes just how cold, alone, hungry and scared Lara is, even as she pushes herself and is pushed by others to keep going. Her voice actress (Camilla Luddington, who can currently be seen on Grey's Anatomy) does excellent work here.

One narrative element that I'm really enjoying is that Lara is very much not in control. There's a level fairly early on where you're supposed to sneak your way past a bunch of enemies to escape from them but, even if you do it perfectly, the level ends with Lara being caught. There are other occasions, as well, where Lara's best efforts will not be enough to overcome the force of people and events that are much larger than her.

The early game, at least, also departs from its roots in that there have been no tombs. There are optional tombs, which are puzzle sections reminiscent of (but much shorter than) what you'd find in Assassin's Creed, but the main story has featured zero tomb raiding. I haven't minded this: the action gameplay is good and the island setting is complex and gorgeous, but I just didn't expect how above-ground it has been so far.

One aspect of the levels that feels very borrowed from the Arkham games are the collectibles: some are available immediately but others are "gated" by needing pieces of gear that you don't yet have (a stronger prybar, rope arrows, etc.) to reach, so that you have reason to return to the early areas and explore them more thoroughly later on. I really like this, as it means there are usually some collectibles to get each time you visit an area but you never feel overwhelmed by trying to search out dozens at once.

Some of the collectibles are also fairly critical to the mystery of the island and the backstories of the secondary characters. As such, they really shouldn't be missed. The island has a very layered history (I think I've found items hinting at events in three distinct time periods) and I've been very intrigued by the details that I've gleaned so far.

The main narrative is entirely linear so far. There have been no dialogue options or plot branches. There is not even an option to play lethally or non-lethally, as some areas require fighting and all of your weapons are fatal... some are just louder or messier than others. In a lot of places you do have some freedom to choose run-and-gun or more stealthy solutions but that's about it for player choice in the game.

I'm not terribly fond of how reliant the game is on QTEs, although this does abate somewhat after the introduction (I suppose they wanted to put a bunch there to introduce you to how they will work later). On the other hand, I've very much enjoyed the utter absence of "boss" fights so far (and in a couple of places, a QTE clearly took the place of where another game would have put a boss fight). I've had one fight that felt like a boss battle, against a type of opponent I'd never fought before, but the game nicely reminded me which of Lara's skills would help with defeating him and, once I got the hang of that, he didn't even need superhuman amounts of damage to take down.

The PC port seems pretty solid. I've only had one definite issue, with some of the scrolling in the map and collectibles screens (i.e., dragging a scrollbar of a list of collectibles also tries to move the map around).

That's about all I think of to mention for now. I'm looking forward to continuing the game when I get home tonight.

- Ash
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 06, 2013, 07:26:05 PM

although the game still doesn't shy away from down-her-shirt camera angles

IN!!

Good read Ash,when you say you have 26%,how long have you been playing for roughly?(although i know you say that's not all for the plot),too many 5 hr games are being released,and its actually my sister who is buying this(and playing it first)

Your post made me realise i really have not looked up any details on this game,with you saying you can come back later for collectables,does that mean this game is an open world game or you can replay earlier levels

Quite funny if it is an open world game,i love them.,..my sister hates them,so hopefully she will ditch it sooner and give it to me...mwahahahahahaha

Although the game is getting some good love on a lot of sites,the Multiplayer is getting the exact opposite,i probably wouldn't be bothered by the MP anyway

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

It's not really an open world game. Camps are surrounded by areas you can use to explore and gather extra XP, but if you want to just push the story ahead, you can play it in a linear manner. You can fast travel back to areas if want to get 100% completion.

I'm really enjoying the combat - it comes in very short, intense bursts, so it has a very different feel from Uncharted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:57:46 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 06, 2013, 07:49:49 PM

Good read Ash,when you say you have 26%,how long have you been playing for roughly?

6-8 hours, maybe? I'll check if there's an actual timer in the game (or just use Steam's) when I get home tonight and update if it's significantly different than that.

with you saying you can come back later for collectables,does that mean this game is an open world game or you can replay earlier levels

There are some areas that are larger and more explorable and then some that are smaller and more confined or plot-centric. It feels very much like Arkham Asylum, if you've played that. The plot will move you through the island in a very guided fashion (there's none of a true open world game's "here's your objective but don't bother if you'd rather go fishing") but, as you progress, you'll discover various campsites that act as quick-travel locations that let you teleport between them at any point, so that you can go back to any part of the map later in the game.

- Ash
siege

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

I'm at 37% after roughly 4 hours play. Haven't been going out of my way to hunt down the hidden items so I'm sure that would have added a significant amount of play to my total.

One thing is for sure, though. The game is ridiculously easy. I've died maybe twice in combat so far playing on Normal.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:17 AM »

OK, the scene with (44% game completion spoiler)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lara rising out of the huge puddle of blood
was one of the coolest looking things I've seen in a video game.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:49 AM »

Probably the best game that I've played in 3D.  The game seems to be made with it in mind.  So far the setting is perfect, I really feel like I'm on that island.  Going into caves with a torch and seeing the light flicker off the walls is cool. 

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 06, 2013, 08:04:49 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 06, 2013, 07:49:49 PM

Good read Ash,when you say you have 26%,how long have you been playing for roughly?

6-8 hours, maybe? I'll check if there's an actual timer in the game (or just use Steam's) when I get home tonight and update if it's significantly different than that.

By way of an update, after playing tonight, Steam says I'm now at 10 hours played, my completion in the game is at 55%, and I feel like I'm probably through 80-90% of the main story. So I'd expect to finish the plot at 15 hours or less and 100% the game in 20 or so. That's shorter than I'd like, to be honest, but it's very high quality gaming time, however limited it is, so I'm not too unhappy about it.

- Ash
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2013, 03:55:01 AM »

I finished the game at 12 hours, that's with a lot of item collecting up until 1/2 of the way through the game where the story picks up and I rushed through it.

So a solid amount of gameplay, with a good deal more exploration to find everything.

I do know I want to go back and find all the documents, especially since I found a set of secret documents that hints at more interesting story to be developed later in the series.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »

Overall about 48% complete.  from the sections on the map, I have at least one more large area to go through so I really hope there is more that is still hidden.  Story-wise, I am close, but unknown how much of the story I've seen.  I still have a lot of upgrades to do though, only about half way on most of them. 

This shot does a good job of showing you the detail of the world. 

With the hair tech turned on, it's not half bad.  better than the old polygon hair, imho

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »

Well I just finished the campaign. Very satisfying and happy to say that it kept me engaged the entire time.
Hard to say how long it was for me as I like to explore and spent time going back to previous areas. I would guesstimate that it clocked in at around 24hrs? I've had it since last Friday slywink the
The game tells me that I completed it with an 85% completion record.

Was able to upgrade all the weapons save for the pistol. Never located the missing 3 parts.

Anyhoo feel free to ask questions.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:59 AM »

This game is fantastic. Loving it so far!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »

Quote from: Roman on March 07, 2013, 05:57:00 AM

Well I just finished the campaign. Very satisfying and happy to say that it kept me engaged the entire time.
Hard to say how long it was for me as I like to explore and spent time going back to previous areas. I would guesstimate that it clocked in at around 24hrs? I've had it since last Friday slywink the
The game tells me that I completed it with an 85% completion record.

Was able to upgrade all the weapons save for the pistol. Never located the missing 3 parts.

Anyhoo feel free to ask questions.

24 hrs?!?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

Wow, they really botched the pc port:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/

(A whole bunch of camera effects are missing unless you play the game in windowed mode)

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »

Beat it, had fun.  It was odd though, I hate single player games, platformers, exploration and collectables, and puzzle games like this.  I still enjoyed the entire experience. 

I also enjoy multiplayer, but like any team based multiplayer I'd much rather play with friends on my team.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 07, 2013, 01:58:04 PM

(A whole bunch of camera effects are missing unless you play the game in windowed mode)

Huh. Most of the way through the game, I can't say I'd felt like anything was missing. I don't have any of those effects, either, but I still think the game looks really good.

- Ash
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 07, 2013, 02:22:12 PM

Huh. Most of the way through the game, I can't say I'd felt like anything was missing. I don't have any of those effects, either, but I still think the game looks really good.

- Ash

Agree, game still looks great, but it's mind boggling that this got through QA.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2013, 02:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2013, 02:15:06 PM

Beat it, had fun.  It was odd though, I hate single player games, platformers, exploration and collectables, and puzzle games like this.  I still enjoyed the entire experience. 

Your conversion to the dark side is almost complete...

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

Bought PC version on Steam late last night. I wish every PC port installed and ran so smoothly.  icon_cool

I am enjoying it using a controller.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »

Hark after our chat the other night I tried out the MP after beating the game.............

Initial impressions are not good at all. I haven't seen lag like that since dial up Half Life TDM on the PC.
Horrid character models, choppy animation and bland level design. Underpowered default weapons.... The list could go on and on.
I may try once more later this evening but for now it's a deal breaker.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
siege

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

Finished in 10 hours at 73% completion. It's a fun ride but my interest started to wane about mid way through after the honeymoon phase with the presentation.

Video games are interactive movies for the most part now. I've accepted that. However, once the spectacle wears thin, we need some solid writing to keep us enthralled!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

I feel like the QTE window for success is crazy small, at least on the PS3.  Even if you know it's coming I still die half the time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 07, 2013, 02:46:13 PM

Quote from: Asharak on March 07, 2013, 02:22:12 PM

- Ash

Agree, game still looks great, but it's mind boggling that this got through QA.

I can honestly say I'm glad I'm not getting any of those effects.  never been a big fan of the blood splatter on the screen and the lens flare in those shots makes things to bright and bloomy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »

I can see the differences,but honestly either fullscreen or windowed it looks pretty good

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

The crappy ol' PS3 has moisture effects on the screen.  Looks great!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 07, 2013, 05:06:29 PM

I feel like the QTE window for success is crazy small, at least on the PS3.  Even if you know it's coming I still die half the time.

The QTEs are the only thing I don't like about this game, and I really don't like them.

Fortunately there aren't a lot of them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

on the plus side apparently there is a way to give the keys on your keyboard a break.  haven't tried it yet myself so I can't vouch for it working properly.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »

I hate QTE and had zero problem with the ones in this game.  They were pretty easy and didn't sneak up on you either.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »

10 hours with 71%. I'll go back to do a bit more though and still give multiplayer a bit more of a chance this weekend though. Clearly I have a lot of tombs and such I didn't do at 71%.

I loved it through and through. Someday might come back to play on hard.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2013, 11:22:15 PM

I hate QTE and had zero problem with the ones in this game.  They were pretty easy and didn't sneak up on you either.

Didn't sneak up on you, maybe.  They go by very fast with too small a window.  At least it resets quickly and then it becomes easy because you've already seen them.  But it seems like a pointless exercise then.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:36:39 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »

As the game goes on you have less QTE. I found it's actually pretty rare execpt for "grab" after the first few hours
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:37 AM »

I realize everyone's already played the game by this point (hooray for having to review a copy of the game I paid for!) but my official GT review is up.

http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/we-have-to-go-back-tomb-raider-review/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2013, 04:44:25 AM »

Purty.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2013, 06:43:03 AM »

Quote from: davidrobots on March 08, 2013, 03:41:37 AM

I realize everyone's already played the game by this point (hooray for having to review a copy of the game I paid for!) but my official GT review is up.

http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/we-have-to-go-back-tomb-raider-review/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

Agreed.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

Damn, I want this game now.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2013, 12:38:02 AM »

I had read that one scene in particular was inspired by the movie The Descent, so I decided to watch it this evening. Fun horror movie and you could definitely see some influence, particularly the use of the climbing pick.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: