http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:26:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [RTS] Dawn of War: Soulstorm Impressions...  (Read 2742 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »

Okay, I'm hoping my copy will be in today or tomorrow, and I've just reinstalled Dark Crusade/Gold Edition in anticipation.  If you've got it, speak up... 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:54:20 PM »

Still not available at work frown

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

I'm very curious to know if Soulstorm provides support for custom widescreen resolutions; i.e. no more vertical bars. I have DOW and the 1st 2 expansions, but without widescreen support it's been a no go for me. For any of you that are getting this, please post whether or not true widescreen is now supported.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

I play DoW widescreen and never noticed any black bars.  Now I'm wondering if I have something screwed up in my settings.   icon_neutral

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »

When I booted up Dark Crusade last night and set my resolution to 1680x1050(16), It expanded to full screen.  It does the same on my laptop (same resolution).  No black bars.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:36:03 PM »

According to widescreengamingforum.com, native widescreen support was added with Dark Crusade. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »

OK.  That explains that then.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »

This was Iron Lore's swawsong as developer.  tear Is Iron Lore even listed on the box now that they're kaput?

I guess Brian Sullivan was trying to get back to his routes. And I guess Relic themselves will have to handle the inevitable updates and balancing batches for it.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 04, 2008, 08:16:45 PM

This was Iron Lore's swawsong as developer.  tear Is Iron Lore even listed on the box now that they're kaput?

I guess Brian Sullivan was trying to get back to his routes. And I guess Relic themselves will have to handle the inevitable updates and balancing batches for it.

According to a THQ rep on QT3, the plan all along was for Relic to handle post-release support. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 07:36:03 PM

According to widescreengamingforum.com, native widescreen support was added with Dark Crusade. 

Hey Kevin that's great to know, my bad for not checking the widescreengaming site. I only have the gold box release with the 1st  2 expansions so that explains it. The problem now will be tracking down a copy of Dark Crusade; really don't want to buy the Platinum box. I guess if Soulstorm is worth the cost I'll just skip DC and get it for the widescreen support.

[Edit] I stated above and earlier that I had the 1st 2 expansions, but I was wrong about that as the gold box only contains the original game and Winter Assault.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:38:38 PM by kronovan » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 04, 2008, 10:07:30 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 07:36:03 PM

Hey Kevin that's great to know, my bad for not checking the widescreengaming site. I only have the gold box release with the 1st 2 expansions so that explains it. The problem now will be tracking down a copy of Dark Crusade; really don't want to buy the Platinum box. I guess if Soulstorm is worth the cost I'll just skip DC and get it for the widescreen support.

The problem is, as much as I love the DOW series, the widescreen is still utter crap. You can play in 1920x1200 resoultion, like I do, and the view is still so incredibly cramped and zoomed in that its almost impossible to actually be tactically aware of the whole battlefield. I have gotten so used to the far superior top down perspective of all the other recent RTS' that it actually makes it hard for me to enjoy DOW now-and they know this. They have known it since Dawn of War, and people were actively complaining as soon as Winter Assault came out-the large scale battles in Dark Crusade made it worse. It annoys the hell out of me when a great developer keeps repeating the.exact.same.mistake. with release after release. I might pass on this one just because I found the view in the demo so absurdly cramped it was hard to get comfortable playing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:24:32 AM »

The problem is that if you allow somebody who has a 1680x1050 resolution to 'compete' with somebody who still runs at 800x600 without forcing a zoom level, they'll have an 'unfair' advantage. The person with the better resolution will see far more than the other guy.

Yes, I realize that this is complete and utter crap, but that's what they all do.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 05, 2008, 02:24:32 AM

The problem is that if you allow somebody who has a 1680x1050 resolution to 'compete' with somebody who still runs at 800x600 without forcing a zoom level, they'll have an 'unfair' advantage. The person with the better resolution will see far more than the other guy.

Yes, I realize that this is complete and utter crap, but that's what they all do.

I have played COH and ROL semi-competitively, and nearly every other RTS you can think of casually. I know this is their excuse, but the same company allows the appropriate level of zoom in Company of Heroes. It.makes.no.sense.

It also makes the game, to be blunt, look butt ugly now, with the big, washed out textures.

Please, understand me here-I love the Dawn of War series. I am a hardcore defender of the SP in the first game (I thought the story was excellent). But the engine is aging badly, and it gets worse and worse and harder to play as they add in more units and more abilities and still give you an incredibly small bit of screen real estate to control it!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 05, 2008, 02:12:30 PM

Quote from: Destructor on March 05, 2008, 02:24:32 AM

I have played COH and ROL semi-competitively, and nearly every other RTS you can think of casually. I know this is their excuse, but the same company allows the appropriate level of zoom in Company of Heroes. It.makes.no.sense.

It also makes the game, to be blunt, look butt ugly now, with the big, washed out textures.

It's actually a blessing in disguise for me since my gaming PC is only connected to a last gen tube HDTV; complete with much smaller DPI resolution. Usually when the zoom is constrained the game frames are also slightly larger. For my setup that means I can actually read or discern icon pallets, toolbars and text. I've heard the same complaints about the ports of C&C 3 and BfME 2 which inherited the constraints of the 360 design guidelines. For me it's really the difference between being able to play the game as opposed to not being able to play due to unrecognizable menus, text and cryptic icons.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »

That may explain why DoW runs well on my PC while CoH runs like ass. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 05, 2008, 09:22:01 PM

That may explain why DoW runs well on my PC while CoH runs like ass. 

COH runs very well at high resolution on systems several years old-I know, I used to have one. Now I have a monster and it still runs very well. They need to design for the masses, sure, but they have to presume that most people can run the RTS at 1024x768 unless they have an ancient rig.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

I have a P3 3.2 2Gigs of RAM and an ATI X850.  Vanilla CoH runs OK at 1280x720.  But Op Fronts chugs.  Especially if it is raining on some of the bigger maps.  I love the game but I have shelved it until  I upgrade my PC.  Which may or may not ever happen.  I still play DoW skirmish every once in a while though.  I'm sure I'd get it fed to me if I ever ventured online though.  I just don't know all of the factions well enough.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:39:20 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »

So um.... how is Soulstorm?   slywink

LD

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »

Hopefully work will have it in today...sheesh...

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 02:33:35 AM »

I want to buy it, but I wouldn't have time to play it, I'm back into the tabletop version of WH40K... and WH:FB, and BFG, and Necromunda...

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 03:36:11 AM »

I like the cathedral look of the Sisters.  I was hoping the aerial units would do more than just float there like a normal vehicle..but oh well.  I was sort of expecting an expanded system like the IG's ability to call in an airstrike, but I got vehicles that floated higher above the battlefield.  Ahh well...  Can't wait to try out the single player campaign.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 04:02:51 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 05, 2008, 09:49:13 PM

So um.... how is Soulstorm?   slywink

It's the first page of an impressions thread.  What do you expect?   icon_biggrin

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 07:33:20 AM »

I got it and played around with the campaign for about two hours.

I've been playing as the Sisterhood - basically in my opinion they play as an almost carbon copy of the Space Marines. Infantry comes in the basic regular infantry, jet pack heavy infantry, heavy anti-vehicle specked infantry, heavy melee infantry, etc. Nothing too extremely off center with them except for the fact that you amass faith to get special attacks or such - i'm not entirely sure so far.

I'm really liking that walker unit though with twin flamethrowers - basically looks like an insane Jean d'Arc crossed with Ripleys exosuit.

The campaign is basically the same deal as the second expansion - a large metacampaign except instead of one planet you have four and two moons. Each of the planets is basically five or six provinces, each planet with about two faction headquarters and each moon having one. If you've played the second expansion then you'll essentially know what goes on - nothing has really been changed aside from the last game.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »

I hate myself for spending $40 on a damn expansion (absolutely outrageous) that barely offers anything really new and substantial, and yet I still did.  icon_confused

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on March 07, 2008, 12:07:01 PM

I hate myself for spending $40 on a damn expansion (absolutely outrageous) that barely offers anything really new and substantial...

I agree.  $40 for this is outrageous.  I'm going to wait for the inevitable $40 Game of the Year version that included all of the expansions.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 07, 2008, 01:07:35 PM

Quote from: Fellow on March 07, 2008, 12:07:01 PM

I hate myself for spending $40 on a damn expansion (absolutely outrageous) that barely offers anything really new and substantial...

I agree.  $40 for this is outrageous.  I'm going to wait for the inevitable $40 Game of the Year version that included all of the expansions.

I disagree on the nothing substantial.  Two new races looks like it offers whole new playstyles.  The sisters and their faith powers look really neat (despite being similar to the Space Marines in unit composition), and while I haven't booted up the Dark Eldar yet, I'm expecting something very different from the standard Eldar.  40 is a bit much.  I think the price change comes partially from being outsources to Iron Lore (this is a wild guess, no facts on this) which is a shame.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »

So far it sounds as though it's worth a purchase for current owners of the previous titles but at a reduced/sale price. Is that about right?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »

I was thinking about this on my drive to work.  For people that DO NOT OWN ANY PREVIOUS VERSION, 40 bucks isn't bad.  You get the ability to play all the races in campaign and skirmish, with all the maps that came with previous DOW titles.  No previous title is needed AT ALL unless you want more races to play in multiplayer, as Soulstorm by itself only allows you to play Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar in Lan and Online play.  In fact, I realized that all the trouble to install the previous titles on my machine were for naught, as the only reason I need them installed is if I want to play the single player campaigns.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »

it's basically the same system as it was with dark crusade and dow/wi.  only install for the sp game, otherwise you can add the serials to the game for mp use.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:12 AM »

CURSE YOU GTFE! I was planning a somewhat productive weekend, but now I've gone and bought soulstorm..

Which, seeing as I bought and played, and loved the last 3 DoWs, isn't a real surprise.

And now for my impressions: Bleh.

To expand: Gameplay isn't really expanded beyond what was in Dark Crusade, the 'flyers' disappoint in that they are just faster skimmers. However, for a first timer, it's a great game, it just, in my mind, isn't worth it for someone who played Dark Crusade to death. Especially since there doesn't seem to be much of a story beyond 'Ok, everyone's here, let's kill everyone else!'.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:26:37 PM by Atragon » Logged

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: