http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:00:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Road to Gold] Sorcery - Old School CRPG  (Read 1726 times)
Zurai
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:11:39 AM »

I'm continuing this thread from Gone Gold's forums for those of you who were interested. Unfortunately I didn't save a copy of the thread, so any question/answers there are gone frown

On a bright note, however, I do have a lot of news about the game.

First bit of news: There will actually be two different games with the same ruleset released. The first game will NOT be first person, although it will still be a dungeon crawl; nor will it be 3-D. The second game will use the exact same rules, but will be a 3-D game in first person.

Why this change? That leads to the second bit of news:

I've added another programmer to the team, a good friend of mine at school. He has a 2-D tile based graphics engine already written, and it's that engine that will be used for the initial release. I will be developing my own 3-D engine at a later time (more towards my originally planned, 1 to 1.5 year schedule for that version).

I'll have screenshots of the engine (not neccesarily screenshots of our game, though) by the end of the week.
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:18:37 AM »

Google Cache of the Thread

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

Quote from: "Zurai"
I'm continuing this thread from Gone Gold's forums for those of you who were interested. Unfortunately I didn't save a copy of the thread, so any question/answers there are gone frown

On a bright note, however, I do have a lot of news about the game.

First bit of news: There will actually be two different games with the same ruleset released. The first game will NOT be first person, although it will still be a dungeon crawl; nor will it be 3-D. The second game will use the exact same rules, but will be a 3-D game in first person.

Why this change? That leads to the second bit of news:

I've added another programmer to the team, a good friend of mine at school. He has a 2-D tile based graphics engine already written, and it's that engine that will be used for the initial release. I will be developing my own 3-D engine at a later time (more towards my originally planned, 1 to 1.5 year schedule for that version).

I'll have screenshots of the engine (not neccesarily screenshots of our game, though) by the end of the week.

Thank God about the 1st person thing.  How about giving us who get motion sickness some options with the camera to get our Diablo-style isometric view?  I tend to puke when I play games in 1st person (and in some over the shoulder 3rd person views), which sort of prohibits me from playing them because I don't want chunks on my keyboard.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »

Glad to see this made the transition over to CG. I didn't get to see all the GG posts, but the game sounded very cool. Looking forward to hearing more about it, especially the first game. Sounds like an old-school type of thing, and I'm a sucker for games like those.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Zurai
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:20:01 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"
Thank God about the 1st person thing.  How about giving us who get motion sickness some options with the camera to get our Diablo-style isometric view?  I tend to puke when I play games in 1st person (and in some over the shoulder 3rd person views), which sort of prohibits me from playing them because I don't want chunks on my keyboard.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will be doable for the 3-D game, mainly because there won't even be models for the player characters. However, you should note that the game will be entirely turn based. I would think that would go a long way towards reducing your motion sickness smile And if it doesn't, the 2-D game is an overhead view similar to Diablo and will use identical rules (though it will have a different storyline in the same world).
Zurai
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 05:06:33 PM »

I've been working a lot on getting the spells designed lately, and I'm actually getting kind of excited about the concept I have for Bard/Spellsinger magic, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

Bard spells work entirely differently from any of the other spells, other than being based out of the magic menu and using mana. Instead of just picking a spell, choosing a target, and watching the fireworks, Bards actually "build" their spells. Essentially, Bardic spells are the movements of a symphony or opera - each individual spell has some minor effect, but when composed in certain sequences, their effects double and redouble and gain new power.

For instance (using entirely made up names and effects), say your Bard knows 5 spellsongs, as follows:
Rondo, a song with a fast tempo suitable for the 2nd, 3rd, and final movements of a symphony (effect: hastes party)
Scherzo, a song with a fast tempo suitable for the 2nd and 3rd movements of a symphony (effect: damage buff to party)
Minuet, a song with a slow tempo suitable for the 2nd and 3rd movements of a symphony (effect: slows enemies)
Aria, a song with a variable tempo suitable for any movement of a symphony (effect: buffs party)
Anthem, a song with a variable tempo suitable for the 1st and 2nd movements of a sympony (effect: damages undead)

Each of those individually has an effect, and can be used singly. However, if strung together as a symphony over multiple turns - say, Anthem, Minuet, Scherzo, Aria, Rondo - not only would each individual song's effect be dramatically increased, but the entire symphony would produce an additional effect - say, giving your entire party an additional turn.

The drawback is that each song sung individually has only a small effect compared to other spells, and stringing them together in a symphony both takes time (one movement per turn for the Bard) and a lot of mana. The upside is that a symphony would produce effects that are more dramatic compared to other spells - more damage, bigger buffs, etc.

Additional complexities (entirely optional - just if you wanted to min/max your Bard) would involve figuring out the most effect ordering and pacing for your symphonies. For example, classical four-part symphonies "typically" started out with a quick tempo opening movement, followed by a slow and a quick movement in any order, and closed with a quick movement. Following that pattern would potentially net you a larger effect bonus than composing a symphony that is entirely slow tempo, for example.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 06:55:25 PM »

Good Job Zurai! Glad to hear you're still hard at work. Glad I finally found my way over here too. Keep us posted!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: