http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Revolution] Subscription pricing info...  (Read 1742 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:12:00 AM »

The entire Nintendo back catalog for $14.99 a month (excluding Cube games)?  Color me intrigued....

Yeah yeah the numbers aren't finalized and are purely speculative, but I like the all-for-one-price approach they may be taking....

IGN Linkage

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:08:27 AM »

Hmm, I was hoping for a per download charge.  $14.99 a month is double my Live account.  I dont know about that.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:17:18 AM »

The marketing survey had participants commenting on their reactions to both a subscription and a per title cost. As well as a rental cost for games. (Presumably you couldn't save a rental anywhere.) I think we won't know for sure until E3 at the earliest what any pricing plans will be. I just hope they are able to get some 3rd party stuff available for download.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:29:02 AM »

yeah they also tested pricing like 2.99 for nes 7.99 for SNES and 19.99 for N64...

I thought the NES and SNES was reasonable but N64 should be no more than 10 bucks. Getting some classic games for ten bucks would be great, and even better if the rumored "upgrades" are implemented. I mean Online goldeneye? Online anything from the backlog would be cool.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 03:41:43 AM »

Does that also include GB/GBC games?

[edit]  Never mind, I decided to RTFA.  It does not (at least their suvey did not).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »

I think subscription would be a mistake.  Sure, it's a lot of games, but even fans of classic games don't play them all the time, and I don't think it would be worth it to most people.  I'm really looking forward to playing the older games, but there's no way I'd pay $15 a month to do it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:04:37 AM »

I'd drop 3 bucks on a NES or SNES game in a heartbeat if I get to keep it, but you won't catch me paying $179.88 a year for access to a list of games I won't play that often.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'd drop 3 bucks on a NES or SNES game in a heartbeat if I get to keep it, but you won't catch me paying $179.88 a year for access to a list of games I won't play that often.

Exactly, not to mention the other routes one could take to play those games for free.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Exactly, not to mention the other routes one could take to play those games for free.

That is going to be Nintendo's challenge, methinks. There's pretty much perfect emulation of the NES and SNES out there, and the games are relatively easy to find. N64 emulation is far from perfect though, so it'll be interesting to see how well Nintendo can pull it off.

It's all about the price in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 01:26:04 PM »

OUT!

Why would anyone do this considering you can own most any older Nintendo game for about $10?

They GAVE YOU all the old Zelda's when you bought WW and how many times will you play the original Metroid at $15 a month?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »

Im with DEVIL.

OUT OUT OUT

I wouldnt pay that for live arcade either... which I love. For 14.99 Ill get Gamefly damn it.

People are tired of monthy bills..... besides the back catalog is not worth that. and how big is the storage space going to be on this thing?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 01:55:25 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
They GAVE YOU all the old Zelda's when you bought WW and how many times will you play the original Metroid at $15 a month?

No, they didn't. They gave you ONE old Zelda when you preordered WW. The collection was bundled with Gamecubes at X-mas 2003 (where they quickly ran out) and was available by subbing to Nintendo Power for a year back then. You're thinking of the Ocarina/Master Quest disc they gave to preorders.

Still, I agree. $15/month for access to old games is not going to be very popular. I think the prices per game needs to be much lower for all games as well (99 cents for oldest, maybe $2-4 for N64. Or, I think they should do a per YEAR sub at around $15-20.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »

No, they didn't. They gave you ONE old Zelda when you preordered WW. The collection was bundled with Gamecubes at X-mas 2003 (where they quickly ran out) and was available by subbing to Nintendo Power for a year back then. You're thinking of the Ocarina/Master Quest disc they gave to preorders.

You're right, but still - They were throw-ins and weren't $15 a month to play.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 02:13:07 PM »

I'll just chime in with another, "No way in hell I'm paying $15 a month for a feature I'd rarely use."

Even if I felt like being perfectly legal about it, I could find a working NES and the majority of games I'd want to play (that I don't still own) for less than what they're (considering) asking for a year's subscription.

Something tells me these numbers will change before they get officially unveiled to the public.  If they don't, this aspect of the Revolution is going to tank.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 04:19:23 PM »

I would absolutely pay it if the library was larger.  With the library I see there, I'm not as interested.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »

DEWD! $15 is LO-COST! EXCITEBIKE FTW!!

:roll:

Out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »

We understand that these prices are speculation based on a marketing survey right?

That said, $15 a month is not what I'm looking for.  I want to pay to download it and have it... not rent it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »

I would pay $50 a year for the service (and I like the idea of all games available), but nearly $200 ain't going to cut it.  That said, if they go with a per game price, they might get more than that out of me in the long run, but I won't be happy about it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »

$15 a month for unlimited games seems reasonable to me. Not owning a SNES or N64 there's quite a few games on those two systems I would love to play or try out and in the end is likely cheaper than purchasing each game singally.

For this type of thing I would figure after 3 or 4 months it'll grow stale and will cancel. I can't imagine someone doing this for an entire year.

So $60 over 4 months to play all the old games I missed and really want to play as well try ones I was only somewhat interested.  thumbsup
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 07:15:54 PM »

that is too much, imo.

if im paying $15/month, i would have to go with gamefly. the games, while classic, arent the same quality as new ones and the demand isnt high enough to justify in comparison....
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 07:47:17 PM »

There's already too many monthly "subscription" fees in my life.  There's not enough there to justify $180 a year.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »

Out for me. If it included GCN games, I would say good deal, but with the library of games offered, in 2006-hell no, way too much other stuff I would rather play than pay that price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: