http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review]World in Conflict  (Read 2608 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:00:03 AM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=908

Look, I even linked it...unlike Ron  icon_twisted

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02:16 AM »

That's great, but this is the Console Gaming board, not the PC one.  I appreciate the effort, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:08:51 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 11, 2007, 03:02:16 AM

That's great, but this is the Console Gaming board, not the PC one.  I appreciate the effort, though.

Hahahah. biggrin

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:11:14 AM »

Yeah, I made a mistake...wasn't thinking at all...see what a long night does to me.  Would someone be kind enough to report the thread so it is moved please smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:12:57 AM »

Well I'm gonna post here until it gets moved.  It seems like a decent game I guess.  I don't think the setting really grabs me though.  On the other hand, it runs quite well on my 2 year old laptop (with settings adjusted of course) which really pleases me a lot.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:18:50 AM »

How would you say this game differs from COH?  Now obviously the setting is different.  I tried COH a long time ago and I just tried the demo of WiC.  COH seems just a little more...personal? I dunno.  I think it has something to do with the fact that you can zoom out so far in WiC.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:26:37 AM »

Well, instead of having to mess around with resources and/or a small amount of base building, World in Conflict doesn't have any of that.  You start out with a set amount of resources and they slowly trickle back into the pool once a unit is defeated.  You have to play online to get a feeling for how brilliant the game actually is.  The single-player campaign, as I have mentioned, is a nice tutorial to get you prepared for the online arena.  Also, from the looks of it, games in WiC will be much quicker than in CoH.  With the option of jumping into a game without having to the hit the lobby (like a FPS), people with a serious drought in time can easily get into the game.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »

I really enjoyed the single player story. I like RTS, but suck at them. What's nice is that there are no resources to gather and turtle-ing is not possible, therefore forcing the sucky RTS player to actually play. The story is cheesy 80s (the Russkies are coming!) but still fun, the graphics, nods to 80s 'culture' and cut scenes added much to the story.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »

This is easily the best single player RTS of the last year or so. It is just fantastic. It is a refreshing game that takes all of the pressure off of base building and puts all of it into smart unit management (what units to call and when) and small unit tactics). Its a bit too fast paced and crazy to be as tactical as something like COH, but it does what it does better than any RTS on the market. The drop in multiplayer is absolutely awesome, and a real breath of fresh air in a rather stagnant RTS environment. I don't really have many people to play MP with so the game has been just chilling for a few weeks, but I recommend this one pretty much without condition
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:39:36 PM »

Calvin, you know that I would be interested in playing a game with ya if you were free Tongue  Let me know when you are up for a game.  If anyone has any more questions, just post them and I will try my best to answer them smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 11, 2007, 09:39:36 PM

Calvin, you know that I would be interested in playing a game with ya if you were free Tongue  Let me know when you are up for a game.  If anyone has any more questions, just post them and I will try my best to answer them smile
Sounds good, send me a msg later, I would be up for a game eveningish tonight.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:11 PM »

I work till 10PM my time tonight Calvin...I will still shoot ya a message though smile

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »

I finished the single player campaign this past weekend, and I thought it was phenomenal.  I think it would be frustrating to play on a rig that wasnt completely up to modern specs, but I thought it was one of the finest story-driven RTS campaigns I've ever played.  Story, sound, graphics, strategy, tactics, everything.  I had also played a little MP with Calvin a few weeks ago.  This game is a somewhat overlooked gem.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »

If you are ever up for a game, let me know Ike smile

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:15:33 PM »

ditto

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »

You have AIM or Steam Ike?

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »

I love WIC - not played for a few weeks but its one of those games - particularly on MP you can then just fire it up and you're away. The game has been well supported since release with the latest anti stacking patch IMHO a great move to stop the dreaded leet players ganging up against the noob brethen

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »

WTF is wrong with me?  I still have not tried this game, even after Tals gave it glowing recommendations.

Now Jerome does a review that basically says the same things.  Someone needs to get off his ass and try this game.   icon_confused

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:57:42 AM »

Hey hey now...my review has been out for a while Tongue

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 02:42:23 AM »

3 months!  Shit, where have I been? 

You know what... don't answer that.

icon_confused

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:34 AM »

Possibly playing Sins? Tongue

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »

This game is criminally underplayed and horrifically underrated, even with the assload of Strategy GOTY's it got.

Just Hiro will do.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 04:32:43 AM »

I've been busy with TF2, GalCiv II, SoaSE, SMG...

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 06:22:36 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on February 12, 2008, 03:06:42 AM

This game is criminally underplayed and horrifically underrated, even with the assload of Strategy GOTY's it got.

I'd agree - the MP friends system is not bad as well, although its one of the few MP games i'm happy with playing with random people.

That said maybe we should update our friends lists (all in this chat) and try and get some games going.

My tag is tals - it will have the [grey] tag before my name.

Tals

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 11:44:02 PM »

Perhaps someone should start a thread in the multiplayer forum...

Gamertag = IkeV
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

Well, I just got this in a trade with Stimpy and I must say it's pretty impressive.  After a few hours with it, I can already say it's one of my favorite RTS games - a genre that I usually dislike.

Graphics and Audio - Everyone says Crysis is the game to "show off" your system.  I disagree - World in Conflict is that game.  From a very high level, you can zone all the way down to a tight shot and the graphics keep getting better.  It really is amazing - very much along the lines of Company of Heroes, but with brighter graphics and more realism.  Trees sway in the wind, areas look extremely realistic, units and buildings show signs of distress, etc.  Too bad you have to zoom out to really "play" the game - you miss the detail.  The sounds are good and the voice acting is great - getting Alec Baldwin to do the mission briefings voice overs was an especially nice touch.

Gameplay - The "no base building" RTS has been done before, but this is far better.  Base management is usually a bore and it's done away with altogether.  As such, you're never far removed from the fighting.  That's a good thing, because things get frantic quickly.  It's definitely not a RTS that allows you to relax.  Every time you think you have the situation under control, the game throws something else at you - another objective, an enemy advance or a cry for help from someone.  The battle in Cascade Falls is a perfect example (SPOILERS AHEAD).  You start off simple, just backing up Webb.  Life is easy.  But the alert comes out and you're told you have to hold that position and split your forces to guard another bridge.  After a very tough fight at bridge #2, you have to drop back to bridge #3 with an easier fight.  Then the whole Soviet force comes at you and you're in a pitched defensive battle until you get the air support, then you're suddenly on the offensive and you're about to mop up when the Soviets throw another few brigades at you and you're retreating across that last bridge.  Wow...what a mission.

Difficulty - I'll admit, I suck at RTS games.  As such, I'm playing on easy and it's a good easy.  It's not so simple that you can win with your eyes closed, but you can stick to some basic strategies, make mistakes and still get by.  Major kudos to getting at least the easy difficulty level correct.  I might try the medium difficulty eventually.

Nitpicks - Just a couple very minor ones.  One is that heavy tanks seem to be very overpowered.  In any mission that I've had them available, I can get by with those and nothing else.  Snipers seem to be overpowered as well and can hit from half the map away.  I've had enemy snipers pick off entire infantry units and I can't see where the shots are coming from.   

Overall, this is simply an excellent game.  And since you can sometimes find it on sale for $20, I'd strongly suggest picking it up.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »

Nitpicks - Just a couple very minor ones.  One is that heavy tanks seem to be very overpowered.  In any mission that I've had them available, I can get by with those and nothing else.  Snipers seem to be overpowered as well and can hit from half the map away.  I've had enemy snipers pick off entire infantry units and I can't see where the shots are coming from.

See this is where the MP rocks. If you used heavy tanks in an MP game then you will get decimated by helis - unless you have a team mate backing you up with AA. Need to play SP more

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: