http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Stunts & Effects  (Read 1445 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:52:30 PM »

Got my review for The Movies: Stunts & Effects up first thing this morning.   Any questions? smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Any questions? :)

When can I expect to see a modern remake of that old Stunts racing game?  I hadn't known the name of the Movies expansion and you gave me a glimmer of hope--false hope!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:23:19 PM »

I know the sliders can provide a series of different shots...can you give some examples of how different the shots can be?  For example, the helicopter rappell...does that include the classic hanging from the skids stunt?  Can the Helicopter interior be used for scenes as well?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I know the sliders can provide a series of different shots...can you give some examples of how different the shots can be?  For example, the helicopter rappell...does that include the classic hanging from the skids stunt?  Can the Helicopter interior be used for scenes as well?

Well, I'm not sure on the skids. I'll try that out.  I believe that you can do interior shots on the chopper though.  I'll check both tonight.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »

If I knew how to do skins and models for this I'd so want to do a Predator remake. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »

I read the review, it was alright but it focused too much on the 'game' portion of The Movies.  I think at this point in time EVERYONE knows that the only portion The Movie's buyers care about is the moviemaking portion of the software.  I would have liked to have seen more detail about the changes made to that aspect of the game.

I have a question about the freecam.  How likely is it to have sections of the open part of the set show up when you are setting up your angles?

What I mean is, I'm worried that the usability of the freecam will be offset by the fact that sets don't 'wrap around'.   Was that a problem at all when you messed with it?
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:36:46 AM »

Really good review  smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:21:17 AM »

Quote from: "Maggot"

A link on your page wouldn't hurt. slywink

Thanks though!  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I suck at making movies, but I know that people far better than me will make some fantastic stuff.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:06:08 PM »

Well, I picked this up.

After tinkering with it a bit, I can say that if anyone is into making movies with this game, this expansion is a MUST have.  

The freecam alone allows for a ridiculous amount of creativity.  Besides just being able to place cameras where you want them, which by itself would be worth it, you can easily set up tracking shots.  It's very intuitive, I had a tracking shot set up seconds after reading the ingame instructions/tips in the Advanced MM.

I did notice that outdoor sets are going to be tricky to use with the freecam.  Whole sections of thoise sets are open, meaning that a generic blank background will show up in your shot if you aren't careful.  The freecam also includes a 'field of view', which functions as a zoom feature when you get in up close, and a 'fish eye' feature when you pull back all the way out.   Between the field of view and placement of the camera, you can still be creative in the outdoor sets without getting off set images in your shot.

The indoor sets, at least the ones I tried, had no problems.  Being enclosed means they allow you to move the camera around without worrying about the background.

There were some kickass movies done before, this expansion is going to allow movies to get REALLY good.  I haven't even touched on the green screen and blue screen and other sfx sets.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 12:47:58 PM »

Thanks though!  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I suck at making movies, but I know that people far better than me will make some fantastic stuff.

I already posted it :p
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »

I already posted it :p

I saw that! Thanks a lot. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: