http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 09:06:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 20058 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:07 AM »

I wonder if I played a different version of this game than you guysÖ

I picked up the PS3 version a couple weeks ago and loved almost the whole game; it is actually the first PS3 game Iíve finished since I bought the system a year ago.  The only two levels I didnít like were the early Junk Plant level and the Star Destroyer Stage.  Junk planet was just boring and had some annoying jumping segments and the Star Destroyer took me like 10 tries to beat.

Killing enemies never seemed much of a problem because almost everything in the game can be killed in one or two charged lightning saber slashes.  The only exception was the giant troopers but my force lighting/energy pool was high enough that I could shock them to the point where one saber slash would kill them.  Learning the combos really helped and most of the time I could clear a room in just a couple minutes.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2009, 03:35:53 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 09, 2009, 12:42:07 AM

I wonder if I played a different version of this game than you guysÖ

I picked up the PS3 version a couple weeks ago and loved almost the whole game; it is actually the first PS3 game Iíve finished since I bought the system a year ago.  The only two levels I didnít like were the early Junk Plant level and the Star Destroyer Stage.  Junk planet was just boring and had some annoying jumping segments and the Star Destroyer took me like 10 tries to beat.

Killing enemies never seemed much of a problem because almost everything in the game can be killed in one or two charged lightning saber slashes.  The only exception was the giant troopers but my force lighting/energy pool was high enough that I could shock them to the point where one saber slash would kill them.  Learning the combos really helped and most of the time I could clear a room in just a couple minutes.

I'm with ya man, I loved this game.  It was my runner up for goty last year (dead space was my fav).
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:29 AM »

The hype is what tied an anchor to the experience for most people, it's a generally fun game but we were expecting a lot more.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 09, 2009, 04:49:29 AM

The hype is what tied an anchor to the experience for most people, it's a generally fun game but we were expecting a lot more.

Exactly, I expected a better game than what Lucas Arts delivered. I at least expected a decent attempt at QTE's, but they were some of the poorest I've ever played through; Star Destroyer level being a glaring example. As well there were bugs that could crop up if you approached a level or fight a certain way. Still a game worth playing, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »

Lordnine, your thoughts echo mine pretty exactly, down to the only sections you didn't love.  Overall, though, I had a blast with the game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »

Ya I really didn't get the hate for this game...I thought it was one the best action games I'd played in forever and pro bally the first time I appreciated the Star Wars brand being in LucasArts hands.

Ya the Star destroyer thing was a little over the top, but when you are playing Sith God of War, screw it, its fun.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on July 09, 2009, 04:28:36 PM

Ya I really didn't get the hate for this game...I thought it was one the best action games I'd played in forever and pro bally the first time I appreciated the Star Wars brand being in LucasArts hands.

Ya the Star destroyer thing was a little over the top, but when you are playing Sith God of War, screw it, its fun.

I didn't mind the over-the-top'dness of the Star Destroyer sequence, I just found it a little frustrating to pull off, and not so fun.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 09, 2009, 04:53:02 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on July 09, 2009, 04:28:36 PM

I didn't mind the over-the-top'dness of the Star Destroyer sequence, I just found it a little frustrating to pull off, and not so fun.

Yeah I thought the same.   Amazing sequence, but damn it was difficult to do.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »

So, out of nowhere, LA released some new DLC for SW:FU.

It's a Tatooine level pack, and it features R2-D2, C3PO, and Boba Fett (and maybe Jabba?).  It takes place after the game and assumes you went Dark.

The only impressions I've seen said it's very cool, but ridiculously overpriced.  I think it's 800 points for what the reviewer called a half hour of gameplay.

Has anyone tried this yet?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 28, 2009, 05:36:05 PM

So, out of nowhere, LA released some new DLC for SW:FU.

It's a Tatooine level pack, and it features R2-D2, C3PO, and Boba Fett (and maybe Jabba?).  It takes place after the game and assumes you went Dark.

The only impressions I've seen said it's very cool, but ridiculously overpriced.  I think it's 800 points for what the reviewer called a half hour of gameplay.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I got it and it's ridiculously overpriced.  I finished the level in about 41 mins.  I played through twice, both on normal and hard.  Definitely not worth $10, but still fun.  I wish these were $5 instead.  I loved this game, so I picked it up anyway.

You start right were EP4 starts.  Get to go into Jabba's palace, that's where most of the level takes place.

I am quite shocked there was no fanfare for this.  Hell it's not even listed as new DLC on XBL...it's like a ghost release.

Stupid too, that the next mission pack is for the "Ultimate" edition being released later this year and not DLC.  I would like to just be able to download that, too.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »

I'm actually anxious to play this now, despite being underwhelmed by the controls in the demo. Haven't played a Star Wars game in ages, let alone a good one, so I'm starting to twitch about getting back into the universe. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow or early next week depending on how generous the post office feels about shipping it from Canada. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 28, 2009, 06:12:03 PM

I'm actually anxious to play this now, despite being underwhelmed by the controls in the demo. Haven't played a Star Wars game in ages, let alone a good one, so I'm starting to twitch about getting back into the universe. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow or early next week depending on how generous the post office feels about shipping it from Canada. smile

Don't get your hopes up  icon_redface

"Goonies never say die"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on August 28, 2009, 06:14:01 PM

Hopefully wbs will like it as much as I did.  This was my second fav game of last year, after Dead Space.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

yeah, I had a blast with it, and am currently replaying it in anticipation of the new content.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »

Picked this up on rental and played through the second boss so far.  Good lord, was that fight annoying.  Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with it.  It's decent, but not really grabbing me like the old Jedi Knight games did.  I'll probably hang on to it to intersperse with my MW2 playing, might even finish it, but it's not going to make any of my top lists.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 23, 2009, 05:12:17 PM

Picked this up on rental and played through the second boss so far.  Good lord, was that fight annoying.  Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with it.  It's decent, but not really grabbing me like the old Jedi Knight games did.  I'll probably hang on to it to intersperse with my MW2 playing, might even finish it, but it's not going to make any of my top lists.

I felt the same way. I got partway into the mushroom place (I think that is the next area) and other games grabbed my interest. I feel like I want to go back to it, but I haven't been compelled to do so.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2009, 04:50:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 28, 2009, 06:17:47 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on August 28, 2009, 06:14:01 PM

Hopefully wbs will like it as much as I did.  This was my second fav game of last year, after Dead Space.

I did not. Forgot to post my impressions here. Anyway, I thought it was "meh" overall. Parts were fun, other parts were fury inducing (read: The Star Destroyer sequence), and the ending was actually worth playing for. I enjoyed it for the most part but wouldn't play it a second time. I still go nuts for the universe though, so even average Star Wars is fine by me. It was pretty cool slaughtering stormtroopers and hurling them through the air. I just wish there had been more of a strategy at times because most fights, for me at least, devolved into a button mashing fest.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »

It was good enough that I'll keep an eye on the sequel.  Glad I got it at a discount price.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2010, 12:58:45 AM »

Finally went back and finished this. I actually started liking it a bit more because it focused on killing stormtroopers and the character felt as strong as he should be. Then I got to the star destroyer sequence and everything went downhill again. That bit of gameplay is so tedious, I was really surprised.

Then I wound up at the beginning of the final level where
Spoiler for Hiden:
you wind up in the Death Star and 2 snipers have their laser sights right on you. I went through cycles of being able to kill the first 2 waves of troopers and AT-STs and then dying almost immediately. The difficulty level skyrocketed all of a sudden and it made no sense at all. I guess you could maybe pull up a floor panel and bypass the whole fight, but by the time I realized that it was too late and I had already switched down to easy to finish the game.

I think people were actually much easier on this game due to the license. It was applied very well (despite the non-canon stuff - giant robot stormtroopers?). If this didn't have lightsabers and the force, I think people would have complained a lot more about the controls. The combos and response were pretty bad compared to something like God of War. And don't get me started on all of the times I got knocked off some walkway to my death. It's disappointing - I think it had the foundations for a really great game, but it became mostly frustrating for me.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2010, 01:03:09 AM »

Teggy I think you are supposed to skip that.  I don't think you can fight through it all.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 09, 2010, 01:03:09 AM

Teggy I think you are supposed to skip that.  I don't think you can fight through it all.

It does end after 3 waves. I beat everything on easy.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: