http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 19907 times)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2008, 08:06:30 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on December 04, 2008, 07:16:01 PM

This game continues to be awesome!  Just hit another WOW moment last night.  Someone you battle I never thought I would be fighting in this game.  It was such a cool moment with the music and all.  I so geeked out.

I think I'm approaching the ending as I just finished the sequence with the Star Destroyer, which was actually quite easy even on the hardest difficulty level I'm playing on.  Everything is coming to a head soon I can feel it!  What a riveting Star Wars story this is turning out to be.  This story would had made one hell of a blockbuster Star Wars film.

Definitely remaining my Game of the Year.  Can't wait to see how it ends!

[Spoilers below]  Well, I don't know.  I'm finally at the fight with Vader...I think I've been playing on the medium setting, and I've found this game to be a real mixed bag.  The force powers are excellent, as are the physics engine, but the camera has to be one of the worst I've ever had to deal with.  The frustration at times of dealing with it during a session actually leaves me in a pissed off "this game sucks" mood afterwords.  But the draw of trying to complete the Star Wars story "sucks" me back in.  The story itself is pretty standard, and I kind of wish there was a bit more meat to it, although I liked it.   

That being said, typically, I only really die if I get stuck in camera angle hell and can't turn in time to deal with something, or I'm unable to target something.  But those times are quite frustrating, and it's happened far too often.  I also wish there were just a bit more RPG choices and decisions to make, instead of the straight linear path.  Because of the linearity and some the other frustrations, there are times that I just wish I was watching a movie of the story instead, rather than participating at all.  All in all, I'd give the game only a 2.5 out of 5, but if you're a Star Wars fan, make it 3.5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:18:11 AM by Fez » Logged
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »

I'd decided I didn't want to play this but my sons got this game on Friday and have been jabbering about it all weekend long.  I watched them play a bit and it does look fun so I might give it a shot.

Is the default difficulty level do-able for a creaky dude like me?
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

It should be.  The camera and targeting system is more than a bit annoying at times, and that's where you usually can end up dead once in a while.  Just remember to hold down block when you're turning the camera to see what's behind you. 

Finding all the holograms is tricky -- I only averaged about 2/3 - 3/4 of them per level without help -- but the difficulte level won't change that I don't think.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »

I got this from Gamefly last night and I'm kinda glad I only rented it.  The camera is really frustrating, esecially when fighting some of the bigger oppenents.  I took down the first Jedi (Kota) without a problem on medium, but the Junkyard Jedi was a pain with the Junk Titans even worse for some reason (I kept on getting stuck behind them and since you can't rotate the camera it was hard to judge where I was) so I bumped it down a notch and it was still an annoying long fight as he kept on disappearing or falling down on a pile of junk where I could seem to hit him but he'd take no damage.

another thing that is really getting to me is the fact the scrubs like Rodians, Wookies and regular Imperial officers and Stormtroopers seem to be resistant to to the lightsaber.  seriously, one hit should be slicing them in half or doing some serious dismemberment, but all of a sudden everyone in the galaxy is saber resitant.

I'm almost finished too- it feels like things are coming to a boiling point and I'm on the 8th missions and I heard there are only 10 in the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »

I just started this game again too, turning down the difficulty to the easiest level this time, which got me past the problematic boss.

Holy crap, I don't think they could make this game more annoying if they tried to. The enemies I fight now are immune to pretty much anything I can use against them (excluding force lightning and force grab), which makes battles against them take AGES, while I spend most of the time stunned because they for some reason repel my attacks. Then, when I'm stunned, another enemy will stun me again, and then another one continues the circle. Add respawning enemies, and I have to muster all the willpower in my body to not throw the controller at the wall. I took some time off to write this post right now, because the game just crashed my PS3. Yup, something no other game has been able to do ever, The Force Unleashed did in 30 minutes.

The worst thing about it is that this game could probably have been a classic if they spent about 6 more months tweaking and balancing it. As it is, it's a buggy POS with combat that feels like a chore.

And who's bright idea was it to make every single screen in the menus take about 5 seconds to load? Even navigating those becomes a chore.

At this point, it's only my love for all things Star Wars that keeps me going. I just want to see how the story ends.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »

I tended to spam Force Lightning as much as possible when I played the game.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »

one other thing- when did a Jedi dying start involving a Highlander like light show?  I felt like Starkiller should have been screaming 'THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!' after offing the Junkyard Jedi.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »

alright, I'm up to the end and the game is becoming not fun at all.  hopefully the people who worked on this got a copy of the definition of fun along with their pink slips.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 04, 2008, 05:31:12 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on December 04, 2008, 05:20:18 PM

The DLC mission is out now:

The Apprentice Mission Pack contains an entirely new single-player mission set in the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant.  In this mission Darth Vader’s Secret Apprentice turns to the Jedi Temple to learn more about his father, and while searching through the rubble of the destroyed building he must confront his inner demons... Download this mission pack and you’ll also get 6 brand new characters and 3 all new Secret Apprentice costumes. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

I don't see it yet, but awesome news.

EDIT:  It's not in New Releases yet, but it is in the The Force Unleashed DL section.  (The second "The" is on purpose, as MS has listed all of their games that start with the definite article under the "T" section  Roll Eyes )

Alphabetizing by The is a huge pet peeve of mine and sadly rock band 2 has a huge T section because of it frown
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »

I am having fun with the game, but it certainly has its problems.  The combat is terribly unbalanced, and as many have pointed out, what is the point of having super-tremendous-uber-amazing force powers if everyone in the game is immune to them?   retard

Some sections of the game are also terribly unforgiving and seemingly unfair.  For example, in numerous areas I've walked in cautiously only to be met by machine gun fire, rockets, flamethrowers, and stunning weapons, and after being hit with a stun beam I'm then mowed down by all of the other firepower with no ability to even get up off the ground.  So much for the alleged strong force so many seem to sense in me.   disgust  Perhaps that feeling is merely indigestion from greasy food at the Mos Eisley Cantina.  Not to mention the areas where one bump from a clumsy stormtrooper and you fall to your death.  The insta-death crap gets old quickly.  And mainly because the checkpoint system is rubbish. 

Quote from: pr0ner on February 16, 2009, 12:15:44 AM

I tended to spam Force Lightning as much as possible when I played the game.

I do the same, especially to stun enemies who appear impervious to my lightsaber.  Some of the enemies seem to be able to block anything you throw at them, unless they're hit with a lightning-induced seizure, and then I can go all Kratos on their hides.   

But, the storyline is at least compelling, the timed events make for some epic force-inspired whoop-ass, and despite the game's many problems (unbalanced and inconsistent difficulty, clumsy camera, insta-death, force-impervious enemies), I seem to keep wanting to play a bit more.  Perhaps I'm desperate for a Star Wars game that actually allows me to participate in combat instead of trading attacks one-by-one based upon virtual dice rolls, or the story is that compelling, but I'm looking forward to getting some more time in tonight.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »

I finished up last night with the Good (and canon, or at least as much canon as you can get with the way they played around with stuff) ending- I figure I'll look up the Dark side ending on Youtube as I don't feel like replaying the last level.  one problem with it being a prequel is you're left wondering where the hell did all the different types of Stormtroopers go between the end of this story and Episode 4?  I think I'm going to pick up the book and see how it is since the games story itself was decent but the implementation was lacking. 

the hangar at the beginning of the last level apparently had it's floor over waxed as eveytime I got knocked down I'd go sliding for about 5 seconds.  oh, and the Star Destroyer sequence felt like they were just trying to pad game play time.

on the ending
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm wondering if Starkiller truly died.   Also, what happened to Kota?  he's still a Jedi, so the Rebellion starts out with one in their ranks.  I'm also hoping the book fleshes out the Juno/Starkiller relationship a bit, as the kiss towards the end seemed to come out of the blue.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

One of my favorite subtle references in the game which, I'll admit, made me chuckle a bit:

Spoiler for Hiden:

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »

I finished the game tonight myself, on the easiest difficulty. Even that was a pain in the ass most of the time, mostly because it was obvious the enemies weren't properly balanced at all. Common stormtroopers were laughably easy to deal with. The huge stormtroopers with the rocket launchers and force shields? They were so hard that they can be considered broken. The best way to deal with them, I found, was to throw my lightsaber at them. Of course, they'd just send a rocket at me just before I was ready to throw the damned lightsaber, and then they'd send another one just as I was about to get up. Seriously, fighting three of them at once was actually harder than fighting
Spoiler for Hiden:
Vader
, who was also a major bitch I might add. My targeting got messed up in that fight, which made me a sitting duck for a long while.

Towards the end I just got the feeling that the devs were throwing everything they had at me with no regard to making the game fun. I don't even think the testers could have played that far. At one point you encounter a stormtrooper with a mounted rocket launcher. If he hits you, you fall. His firing rate is pretty much exactly the same as the time it takes you to stand up, so once you get up, he knocks you down again. I had to be really, really quick and force run sideways to get out of that loop, and by that time I had lost nearly half my health. A single bit of feedback from a tester could have fixed that problem ("Oh, we're got a stun-lock situation? Let's just decrease the rocket launcher's firing rate by, say, 2 seconds. Problem fixed!"), but no.

As I've said earlier, this game could have been a classic with a bit of polish. The story is absolutely fantastic and fits right into the overall saga (not counting the gameplay mechanics like the force-impervious stormtroopers and aliens. I don't consider them part of the written story, but more as mechanics that were hastily thrown in by the level designers).

The only nitpicks I have with the story is with its presentation, such as your pilot's outfit (she'd NEVER be allowed to go dressed like that in the Imperial Navy, particularly when she has to be around stormtroopers, who are denied sexual acivities) and the Highlander-esque light show when Jedi die. Also, the scene with the ship that crashes into a sun is ridiculous. That sun must have been smaller than an asteroid if you compare it to the ship's size upon impact. As I said, minor presentation stuff.

I'm probably never going to touch this game's gameplay again, but I might fire up the cutscenes from time to time. At least that part is truly memorable in a good way.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »

Three words: Force lightning spam.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2009, 05:27:57 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 16, 2009, 11:47:21 PM

No thanks. Running around in circles waiting for my force bar to recharge before another batch of force lightning would make the game even more annoying.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:40 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 17, 2009, 05:27:57 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on February 16, 2009, 11:47:21 PM

No thanks. Running around in circles waiting for my force bar to recharge before another batch of force lightning would make the game even more annoying.

How many Jedi Holocrons did you find?  By the time I got deep into the game, I had upgraded my Force lightning all the way, and had enough points in the Force regen stats that I didn't really have to wait all that long, at all.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2009, 07:25:01 AM »

I found quite a few of them, but didn't bother focusing a lot on force lightning. I probably upgraded it to level 2 of 3 and left it at that. Focused more on stuff like saber throwing. I just didn't find using force lightning to be all that fun, particularly because of the crappy targeting system (which would sometimes even turn my character around 180 degrees from groups of enemies and have me facing a wall.

As I said, no thanks.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

I'm really tired of the checkpoint system.  Not because you regress in the level, as that's fairly common with most games, but my problem is with where they take you back to.  You are almost always taken back to a particularly irritating section of a level, and if you die while almost to the next checkpoint, you are stuck going back to play through the same crap you just struggled with five+ times before.   disgust

I like the game, but while we've all belabored this point before, I can't help but continue to wonder WTF is with having the mostest p0w3rfullestest mamma-jamma superstupendous Sith/Jedi in the galaxiverse and yet every enemy you face is somehow immune to all of your powers.   retard

It's like driving the fastest sports car on the planet.......in snow. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 17, 2009, 04:27:10 PM

I'm really tired of the checkpoint system.  Not because you regress in the level, as that's fairly common with most games, but my problem is with where they take you back to.  You are almost always taken back to a particularly irritating section of a level, and if you die while almost to the next checkpoint, you are stuck going back to play through the same crap you just struggled with five+ times before.   disgust

and don't forget the unskippable in-game cut scenes.  during the first encounter with a Junk Titan on the junk planet I had to re-watch the scenes related to that a few time because no one thought it would be a good idea to put a checkpoint after the mini-boss fight but that it would be a darn nifty idea to have a jumping section afterwards where if you misjudge the platforms from the already cluttered background you could easily fall to your death and have to repeat the whole mini boss fight again.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2009, 04:44:18 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 17, 2009, 04:27:10 PM

and don't forget the unskippable in-game cut scenes.  during the first encounter with a Junk Titan on the junk planet I had to re-watch the scenes related to that a few time because no one thought it would be a good idea to put a checkpoint after the mini-boss fight but that it would be a darn nifty idea to have a jumping section afterwards where if you misjudge the platforms from the already cluttered background you could easily fall to your death and have to repeat the whole mini boss fight again.

I had that same problem.   disgust

I've actually started to merely chuckle at some of the game's issues.  I "love" shocking a storm trooper with force lightning only to find that he has a force lightning impervious energy shield around him, or force pushing an enemy only to find that they have some kind of special anti-force push gravity boots equipped, or going all Kill Bill on an enemy with my lightsaber only to find that their special energy shields and weapons are resistant to every one of my saber-themed attacks.   Roll Eyes

Sometimes I feel like an uber-powerful Sith/Jedi.  But most of the time I feel like the world's fastest sprinter running barefoot with all of my opponents in Ferraris to make the race "fair."     

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »

Some of you knocking the game make it sound like the enemies who are Force resistant resist everything.  That's simply not the case.  If they can resist one Force power, they're usually open to being smacked around by another one.  And almost all the regular enemies can be picked up and thrown around.

Once you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can quickly exploit it.  I can definitely see how not being sure what Force powers apply to which enemy can be frustrating.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2009, 07:06:31 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 17, 2009, 06:54:51 PM

Some of you knocking the game make it sound like the enemies who are Force resistant resist everything.  That's simply not the case.  If they can resist one Force power, they're usually open to being smacked around by another one.  And almost all the regular enemies can be picked up and thrown around.

Once you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can quickly exploit it.  I can definitely see how not being sure what Force powers apply to which enemy can be frustrating.

It's not that I can't dispatch them with relative ease, but I find it fairly ridiculous that in this brief portion of Star Wars "history" enemies have a unique ability to resist various force powers, whereas no such concept exists in the rest of the Star Wars universe.  And I think it is merely a poorly-implemented mechanism for keeping your uber-super-duper-mamma-jamma powers in check so that the difficulty level doesn't go straight down the Empire's toilet.  I don't think it's difficult, I just think it's stupid.

If one force power doesn't work I just use another.  But how many storm troopers have you seen with "convenient" lightning-proof energy shields and ankle weights that limit force push effectiveness?  It seems with every story Lucas puts together, when he writes himself into a corner he just makes shit up.  Oh, wait, we made the main character's force powers a little too powerful.  Let's just add special force resistant weapons to the enemies to balance things out. 

Developers:  But those technologies didn't exist in the Star Wars mythos.

Mr. Lucas:  I'm George Lucas.  As the entire mythos is in my own mind, and I am the god of all things Star Wars, who are you to question me?!?!?! 

While I may not have any better suggestions for balancing the game's difficulty, it just strikes me as very "last-minute" to simply modify the technology of your enemy in order to off-set the uber powers you've given the main character.     

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

Why is that suddenly George Lucas' fault? He was only involved in the storyline for this game, not in the enemy design.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 17, 2009, 07:09:57 PM

Why is that suddenly George Lucas' fault? He was only involved in the storyline for this game, not in the enemy design.

If he wasn't responsible for that portion of the game then fine.  But it seems that every story element he has a hand in, whether it be dialogue, character development, or general story inconsistencies, he does more harm than good.  He is a victim of his own ego.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:29 AM »

This game just went from passable to horribly frustrating and little more.  The star destroyer level is on of the must frustrating design decisions I have ever experienced in a game.  I used to think that platforming was frustrating, but I have now found one of the dumbest, must frustrating gaming experiences I've ever endured.  It is pointlessly frustrating and irrelevant to the game itself.  When you finally get to the point of being able to bring down the destroyer they "conveniently" send another wave of TIE fighters at you and as you engage them the destroyer goes back to its original position.   retard

Fucking ridiculous and almost game-killing for absolutely no reason.   Roll Eyes

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »

That was the worst part of the game right there.

The quickest way to kill the TIEs is Force Lightning, of course.   icon_twisted

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2009, 04:39:40 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 20, 2009, 04:18:56 AM

Been doing that.  But then we get into the usual gripes about the piss-poor targeting system.  Force lighting is useless if you can't aim it somewhere.  And by the time I take the TIE fighters down the destroyer is back to its original position.  I'll finish the level eventually, but it's still fucking stupid.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2009, 04:42:53 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 20, 2009, 03:07:29 AM

This game just went from passable to horribly frustrating and little more.  The star destroyer level is on of the must frustrating design decisions I have ever experienced in a game.  I used to think that platforming was frustrating, but I have now found one of the dumbest, must frustrating gaming experiences I've ever endured.  It is pointlessly frustrating and irrelevant to the game itself.  When you finally get to the point of being able to bring down the destroyer they "conveniently" send another wave of TIE fighters at you and as you engage them the destroyer goes back to its original position.   retard

Fucking ridiculous and almost game-killing for absolutely no reason.   Roll Eyes

I'm amazed at how people find the Star Destroyer so difficult.  It was ridiculously easy.  People need to relax and think the pattern through.

Pete.  That Star Destroyer level is easy as hell and I did it on Sith Lord difficulty.  Like pr0ner said, Force Lightning.  Here is what you do.  As each TIE flies past you overhead zap it with Force Lightning (no aiming involved - do it when overhead).  It will blow up.  Do that to the next one.  Then the next.  Stand in one spot while doing this.  I stood in the middle behind that middle barrier thingy.  Then when they stop coming start pulling the Star Destroyer.  Now, keep pulling the Star Destroyer even as the next wave comes from the distance.  Wait until that next wave of TIE fighters is almost upon you (you can see them clearly and they begin to break formation and come at you).  At that point let go of the Star Destroyer and position yourself as before and repeat.  The Star Destroyer does not go back to the original position.  It just looks like it does.  It starts drifting more and more to the left or right, not back to the original location off in the distance.  Don't worry about the drifting.  Concentrate on zapping the TIE fighters one after another.  If I remember correctly, it should only take three (or maybe four) waves of TIE fighters before you take the Star Destroyer down.  It probably depends on the difficulty level you are playing at.

Believe me when you figure out the pattern and complete this sequence you will be mad at yourself for thinking it was impossible.

If all else fails do what I did.  Launch the Force Unleashed case at a wall and watch it shatter into a thousand light green pieces.  It feels good.  I did not do that with the Star Destroyer sequence.  I did that later when you are on the Death Star.  You'll see what I mean when you get there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:46:53 AM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2009, 04:48:48 AM »

I'm thankful this thread popped up, as I was tempted by a cheap used version of this the other day.  Reading about how frustrating it is makes it much easier to avoid.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 20, 2009, 04:39:40 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on February 20, 2009, 04:18:56 AM

Been doing that.  But then we get into the usual gripes about the piss-poor targeting system.  Force lighting is useless if you can't aim it somewhere.  And by the time I take the TIE fighters down the destroyer is back to its original position.  I'll finish the level eventually, but it's still fucking stupid.

I'm convinced they developed that part only to pad the gameplay time and nothing else.  It would have been cool if they had made it come down after just one wave of Tie Fighters but after that the whole sequence felt like a chore.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

I know what I have to do, but with a borked targeting system and "convenient" patterns of enemies, while the level may be "easy", that doesn't make it any less frustrating or stupid.  I'm sure when I sit down again I'll be able to complete the level, but that frustration added with unsuccessfully trying to set up video streaming from our laptop to the 360 really made for an angry evening.

And while I like the game enough to play through to the end, perhaps twice, it really isn't a very good game.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 20, 2009, 04:42:53 AM

Believe me when you figure out the pattern and complete this sequence you will be mad at yourself for thinking it was impossible.

And this morning this very thing happened.  I got through the star destroyer level in one try.   Roll Eyes

If all else fails do what I did.  Launch the Force Unleashed case at a wall and watch it shatter into a thousand light green pieces.  It feels good.  I did not do that with the Star Destroyer sequence.  I did that later when you are on the Death Star.  You'll see what I mean when you get there.

I see why.  But I managed to fight through everything and finished the game with the Dark Side ending.  Intending to play through for the light side ending I hit "continue game" after the credits thinking it would give me the chance to play the last level again, and instead it started the game over.  But my character looks a little, shall we say, different.   icon_eek  I had no idea.  I actually sat here and went "holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit" over and over again.  When I watched the cutscene at the end of the game I thought to myself, "Man, it would be really cool to see that in the game."  What I didn't know if that I would once I restarted.   icon_eek 

After all of the bitching, whining, and complaining I did about the game, it has all been made worth it by finishing the game with the Dark Side ending and seeing the character before me.  Wow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:24:02 PM by PeteRock » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 21, 2009, 06:18:51 PM

I see why.  But I managed to fight through everything and finished the game with the Dark Side ending.  Intending to play through for the light side ending I hit "continue game" after the credits thinking it would give me the chance to play the last level again, and instead it started the game over.  But my character looks a little, shall we say, different.   icon_eek  I had no idea.  I actually sat here and went "holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit" over and over again.  When I watched the cutscene at the end of the game I thought to myself, "Man, it would be really cool to see that in the game."  What I didn't know if that I would once I restarted.   icon_eek 

After all of the bitching, whining, and complaining I did about the game, it has all been made worth it by finishing the game with the Dark Side ending and seeing the character before me.  Wow.

there should be a mission select option somewhere in one of the start or back button screens if you don't feel like slogging through the whole deal.  of course there's always Youtube, which is what I did for the Dark Side ending.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2009, 07:28:21 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 21, 2009, 06:18:51 PM

there should be a mission select option somewhere in one of the start or back button screens if you don't feel like slogging through the whole deal.  of course there's always Youtube, which is what I did for the Dark Side ending.

I thought about playing through again long enough to max out my character, but that quickly became pretty boring.  So I instead jumped back to the last level to complete the game with the Light Side ending.  And here I thought Vader was cheap.  Even my wife last night kept saying, "WTF?  Cheap whore."   icon_lol I didn't hurl the game box, but at one point when my controller gave me the weak battery light flash I ripped out the battery and threw the controller across the room.  It conveniently landed near our battery recharge base so I was at least able to put in the new battery while I retreived my controller. 

I have to say that the Dark Side ending was way better than the Light Side.  On my second playthrough the light ending felt a bit anticlimactic.  The game was relatively fun, and some of the force powers were pretty cool (crushing an AT-AT like a soda can was pretty F-ing cool), but overall there were too many problems with the camera, targeting, and "cheap" enemy BS that the overall experience was hampered pretty badly. 

It's a relatively short game, and based on the gameplay and overall experience, I'm more likely to play through The Bourne Conspiracy again rather than Force Unleashed as I think they're pretty comperable for what they are.  And Bourne Conspiracy didn't piss me off nearly as much as Force Unleashed.  I'm glad I played through as the story was surprisingly good, but now I can add it to my "completed games in 2009 list" and be finished with it. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2008, 07:55:15 PM

Quote from: hentzau on September 16, 2008, 07:25:54 PM

My kids are dying for me to pick this game up for the Wii, but I'm not sure that I want to have my six year old watching me slaughter wookies...

The wookie death action is only in the first level. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
And a little later when you accidently kill them because of the bad force grip aiming system during a rescue mission.

I think this is a record year for me finishing all of these games, and it's only May!.

I just finished playing Star Wars Force Unleased, and simply put, it was quite awesome.  A little short, but I thought the pacing was great, level design fun, and I loved the cinematics.  Very well done.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:05 PM »

My local shop has new copies of this for $15.  Is it worth it?

"Goonies never say die"
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:33 PM »

Big box store or just the local mom and pop?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2009, 12:26:49 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on July 08, 2009, 11:15:05 PM

My local shop has new copies of this for $15.  Is it worth it?

Hell yeah, TFU was a fantastic game! 
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:25 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 08, 2009, 11:30:33 PM

Big box store or just the local mom and pop?

Mom and Pop Video store.  They have 2 copies if anyone is interested.  360 BTW.

"Goonies never say die"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2009, 12:40:48 AM »

All Gamestops should have this for $20 starting today.  I grabbed it.  Now to see if I can fall out of the level like I did in the demo.  biggrin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: