http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 19850 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

This may be the buggiest game I've ever played on a console.  No less than half of all of the games I've played have ended in a lockup.  The majority happen while moving between various menus, but random freezes occur all the time too.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 20, 2008, 04:32:44 PM

I'm not saying HOW DARE YOU DISS STAR WARS!  Especially with the way the franchise has been treated in the last decade.  My complaint is that few of these reviews talk about the pure fun to be had.  It's as though they went in ready to diss it because it's Star Wars, ready to be overly critical. 

I don't see that at all- the vast majority of the reviews that I've seen that are critical of the game itself are full of praise for the story and artistic design, calling those elements the best the franchise has seen since the days of the OT.  If they were dinging it just because it's SW then they wouldn't be praising those aspects.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 21, 2008, 07:45:07 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 20, 2008, 04:32:44 PM

I'm not saying HOW DARE YOU DISS STAR WARS!  Especially with the way the franchise has been treated in the last decade.  My complaint is that few of these reviews talk about the pure fun to be had.  It's as though they went in ready to diss it because it's Star Wars, ready to be overly critical. 

I don't see that at all- the vast majority of the reviews that I've seen that are critical of the game itself are full of praise for the story and artistic design, calling those elements the best the franchise has seen since the days of the OT.  If they were dinging it just because it's SW then they wouldn't be praising those aspects.

True, but they don't seem to comment on the pure fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 02:51:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 21, 2008, 03:35:35 AM

[quote author=Punisher link=topic=29157.msg464452#msg464452 date=1221914962
Any tips on getting through the first Death Star Level? I ran through the game with little problem, except for the Star Destroyer level and now this....

So it took me forever to figure out that you aren't supposed to beat all those waves of troops (well let's say that you don't need to at least, you might get something for doing it.)   You can bend those huge grates in the middle of the room and drop down to the next part almost immediately, instead of trying to fight it out with those endless waves of Imperials.
[/quote]

I had known about that, but was hoping to find a way to beat the waves. I think they do end at some point. Those damn Purge Troopers are the main problem with their super-homing missles.....

Anyway, I cheaped out and just blasted through the floor, i couldn't take it anymore....

Finished the game with both endings today... I enjoyed it alot... The 2nd Vader fight got me frustrated as he had too many "cheap" moves.....
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »

I fired this up last night.  I'm impressed.  The entire opening cinematic with the Star Wars crawl and opening scene was classic Star Wars.  I mean classic!  Those praising the story and the Star Wars feel are spot on.  Even this early on in the game I can see this story is going to be memorable.

Something I was not expecting was Starkiller (aka The Apprentice) having a personality and a sense of humor.  I expected him to just be a mindless killing machine, which undoubtedly turned me off to the premise of the game.  Not so.  The touches of humor that mimic the original Star Wars, especially between Starkillerís droid Proxy and himself, are loads of fun.  I am eagerly waiting to see more banter between these two.  This has the potential of being classic comedic stuff not unlike what transpired between C-3PO and R2-D2.

A few notes from the opening cinematics:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The young Starkiller boy, using the Force to pull Vaderís saber from him and Vaderís subsequent turn to look at what just happened, was both laugh out loud and frightening at the same time.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Loved Starkillerís response to his new female Imperial pilots question of how many pilots did Vader kill Ė without missing a step and in a perfect deadpan response:  ďsevenĒ.  That was funny.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Apprentice was instantly endeared to me with the subtlety of lifting the eyebrows and a hint of a smile when he first laid eyes on his new Imperial female pilot.  Sort of like a "she's hot" look.  Classic.  Furthermore, using Proxy to mimic the pilot and provide inside information on her was funny and something I would expect a Sith or Imperial to do.

As far as game play goes Iím enjoying it more than I did in the demo probably because I know the characters now and I have that attachment.  I also found the targeting easier once I went into settings and changed the target lock on (RB) and Force grab (RT) to toggle instead of hold.  Now I just hit the appropriate button, do what I have to do, and hit it again to release.  It is much easier because it allows me to focus on the enemy or moving around a Force-grabbed object without having to hold in the appropriate button.  Less buttons to think about.

One of the first things I did was change my light saber color.  I cannot bring myself to use a red saber.  It just does not feel right for me. icon_wink  I found the yellow crystal in the first area and using that.  My path to the light side (or less dark side) has begun.

I have a feeling Iím really going to enjoy this ride. 

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »

So, a career Imperial and a Dark Jedi who has no problems electro-punting Jawas...
Spoiler for Hiden:
...are moved to near-tears by the plight of a fucking Sarlacc?!  No verbalized sympathy for all those enslaved Wookies.  After all, we were tacitly approving that sort of activity all along, but that hideous tentacle mouth in the desert, with stomach acid that can not only digest its food, but give that food apparent near-immortality so it can take it's sweet time gets, "Oh, that poor creature."  Seriously?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:24:23 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 22, 2008, 02:12:31 PM

So, a career Imperial and a Dark Jedi who has no problems electro-punting Jawas...
Spoiler for Hiden:
...are moved to near-tears by the plight of a fucking Sarlacc?!  No verbalized sympathy for all those enslaved Wookies.  After all, we were tacitly approving that sort of activity all along, but that hideous tentacle mouth in the desert, with stomach acid that can apparently not only digest its food, but give that food apparent near-immortality so it can take it's sweet time gets, "Oh, that poor creature."  Seriously?

Electro-punting Jawas and then standing there listening to them twitch and bake laughing your head off every single time = me.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »

Ya this is another one of those games where I think reviewers saw the early bullshit comments about the game being a bust, and felt that if they acted differently from what the pack perceived, they'd be ostacized, so they all ripped it for things that dont exist.

The game is a visual treat, it respects and homages the original trilogy and pieces of the prequels, it makes sense, and adds a new layer to the Star Wars Mythos (who really created the Rebellion). The complaints about the force immune mobs is bullshit, they are all vulnerable to something, and each level was just beautiful. Anything who says they didn't feel a little bit sad for the level 2 jedi when they realized what he built in the junkyard...ya, thats a great idea.

The only real problem with the game is the unlock mechanics are a little weird since its very possible to have bought every combo move available, but be criminally short for your force upgrades and passives. I wish they was a way to transfer them, but no biggie.

This was a 9/10 game, I love the fact they made it, and actually made me remember why I loved Star Wars as a kid.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »

There is quite a bit of hidden vehicles on Raxxus Prime if you guys look.  I saw the Millenium Falcon, AT AT, X-wing, Calamari cruisers, etc.  SO cool to see!
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »

I'm almost through now.  I'm in combat with Vader atm.

Playing through from the start on 3rd difficulty has been a huge challenge for me, I am not a veteran of 3rd person melee combat games...this is really my first to play for more than an hour other than the PC Jedi Knight games...which were pc games...very different.

I've put in about 20 hours so far getting to where i am and the ride has been totally worth it.  I've only hit 3 game stopper bugs that were all fixed by a simple restart from the last checkpoint (which is never far at all).

I wish i could have video taped my 2nd level boss fight...that was the most epic, cinematic, incredibly cool boss fight i have EVER witnessed in a game.  I hope it's just as cool a fight the second time around.  The camera for that fight just REALLy came through in an amazing way.  It was far more entertaining to watch myself though that force battle than it was watching any of the duels in the movies.  Unfortunately none of the other boss battles have so far lived up to that one's coolness, but they have still been very good.

Unlocking the Sith Robe early on Raxis Prime the first time you get there is definitely a must in my book.  Having that cool outfit adds a TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON to the coolness of the cinematic fight scenes such as boss battles.  I can't imagine doing it without that outfit.  If you thought vader's cape was cool in the intro level, you MUST get the Sith Robe and use it through the big fights:)

I really love the different styles of lightsaber blade you can unlock too...you can do far more than just change the color.  For example: Red, Compressed Red, and Unstable Red are all unlockable color crystals that give your lightsaber different effects beyond color and the effect is really awesome in cinematic fight scenes.

I'm going through the game on normal next...and then i'll do it on the unlockable 4th difficulty.  I want to do normal next though so i can feel even more powerful with my ranked up force abilities and take my time having even cooler boss fights:)

Not having real prior experience with any melee 3rd person combat games...my vote for this is a 9.8 out of 10, not getting a 10 due to rare game stopping bugs which require a reset to the previous checkpoint. (rare in that i've only seen it 3 times in 20 hours or so with the game so far).

I have tremendous praise for the storytelling here because i was expecting more of the sappy shit and lack of real story and cutscenes that have been typical in recent years.  This game restored some of my faith in star wars and lucasarts.

Best 60 bucks i've spent on the 360 yet for me.  Mercs 2 just took a backseat for me, as much as i enjoy it, FU is the complete package of a single player game with the only downside of it being no multiplayer...but that's okay with me as multiplayer is less and less my thing these days.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »

Unlocking the Sith Robe early on Raxis Prime
Well....I think the very last light saber unlock...

Spoiler for Hiden:
the black light saber

and the dark side ending...

Spoiler for Hiden:
giving you the mechanized menace look

is WAY cooler to add that sort of ambiance.  It's a shame they don't translate to cutscenes.  I think it'd change the tone a lil bit.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »

Having Starkiller in something like the Sith Robe for the cutscenes would radically change the tone of the scenes.

And folks keep talking about a choice that gives different endings...but i'm confused...cause at least up to the vader fight i'm in, I havn't seen or noticed a choice in the game...and it's confusing the hell out of me cause my character is turning into a sappy, puppy jedi...and it bothers me.  I thought this game was really going to fully let me play out the just side of the force and such...but my character is being forced into the jedi mold it seems...

I'm somewhat bummed by this not being able to do the right thing stuff.  Nevertheless, philosophical differences aside, fantastic story telling for a game like this.  Stand up and take note, game creators! We want real story, with real acting, and real high quality cutscenes.

And, while some folks may think it's sad what the 2nd level boss built in the junkyard, I can't fathom how you are moved by it other than to see what the ultimate sad reality of the jedi order is.  It's a perfect picture of the useless deadness that the jedi council clung to until it rotted in place while the galaxy moved on and left it behind.  Without the leadership and decisiveness provided by using the force for real justice and creation of order, the jedi could have no future but a sad, insane fall into ruin which fits a junkyard to perfection.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:36:59 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »

I havn't seen or noticed a choice in the game
Just after the fight you are on....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 22, 2008, 06:48:46 PM

...although that really just sets up the choice.

As for the cool costumes or lightsaber effects, I stopped using them because they don't play out in the cut scenes, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I found it distracting to go through a boss fight in cool garb, only to have the Apprentice (I think he's modeled after Bill Rancic) jarringly switch to his prescribed outfit and saber color.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 22, 2008, 07:46:51 PM

...although that really just sets up the choice.

As for the cool costumes or lightsaber effects, I stopped using them because they don't play out in the cut scenes, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I found it distracting to go through a boss fight in cool garb, only to have the Apprentice (I think he's modeled after Bill Rancic) jarringly switch to his prescribed outfit and saber color.

I stuck with red...though i used unstable red as it's just much cooler:)  Yea, the uniform change was jarring the first couple times...but i managed to forgive it easily for the coolness of using the chosen outfit in the actual fights...and i have no idea how long yours lasted...but  my boss fights tended to be 1-2 hours long with quite a few restarts:)  Some of the individual duels lasting 5 minutes or more were just incredibly cinematic and cool to behold.  What i was praising wasn't the set part or the quicktime event, but the actual combat of the duel itself.  Somehow, boss fight 2 especially, managed to become an incredible cinematic series of battles for me that were very movie worthy.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

I found it distracting to go through a boss fight in cool garb, only to have the Apprentice (I think he's modeled after Bill Rancic) jarringly switch to his prescribed outfit and saber color.

His name is Sam Witwer:

He's also played parts in Dexter and Battlestar Galactica.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 22, 2008, 09:24:07 PM

I found it distracting to go through a boss fight in cool garb, only to have the Apprentice (I think he's modeled after Bill Rancic) jarringly switch to his prescribed outfit and saber color.

His name is Sam Witwer:

He's also played parts in Dexter and Battlestar Galactica.

Yes.  He's also the voice of the Emperor.  He's very good.

That wasn't what I was saying.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »

My favorite line in the game, just after a conversation with Vader:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: The Force Unleashed
Proxy: Ugh...I hate being him.

Starkiller: I think he does, too.

-Autistic Angel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 23, 2008, 02:34:51 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

-Autistic Angel

Yea, that was a very telling moment.  Very subtle and well placed. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 23, 2008, 03:14:08 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 23, 2008, 02:34:51 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

-Autistic Angel

Yea, that was a very telling moment.  Very subtle and well placed. 

Agreed.

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2008, 03:42:32 PM »

i must not have payed attention in that part, and completed the game with the light side ending.  you can choose a path after the junkyard mission?

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on September 23, 2008, 03:42:32 PM

i must not have payed attention in that part, and completed the game with the light side ending.  you can choose a path after the junkyard mission?

No, the path choice is right after you fight Darth Vader.  You can go straight ahead or off to the right and down to a lower platform (this determines the last bit of the game who and what you fight)...it wasn't clear to me the first time i went through, but then i realized where it was and reset tot he last checkpoint and chose the ending i wanted (dark side, I think, but not actually sure).  Either way, you fight vader, then the choice of going down the walkway or jumping to the lower platform determines your ending.  It's a choice of who you fight...and thus what you are fighting for.

I think i said all that without saying any spoilers.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »

As I said, "...that really just sets up the choice."

Sometimes I feel like my posts are being blocked...

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 23, 2008, 04:20:40 PM

As I said, "...that really just sets up the choice."

Sometimes I feel like my posts are being blocked...

hahahaha, i saw that, i just wanted to know where exactly you go get the light side / dark side ending.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2008, 05:38:18 PM »

been playing this the last few nights and surprisingly, i really like the game.  i've only hit one bug, and luckily not in a boss fight.  i have had some frustrations though,most noticeably the fight with
Spoiler for Hiden:
proxy. darth maul able to block pretty much everything while having a very damaging combo made this a pita.
i eventually let my own frustration (and a little rage, i might add) to beat him, and decisively at that.  the second time was during one of the major scenes
Spoiler for Hiden:
bringing down the star destroyer.  first, it took a few rounds to get hit, and then it was a hit or miss to line up the SD just right to bring it down.

the fight i tagged above had one side effect though.  it made me a better player, oddly enough.  i was able to chain enough attacks and get into the rhythm of kicking ass that i beat him without taking a scratch. 

on the last mission now, and i really like the location.  this game has had some awesome levels.  too bad they reused a few planets though. 

about the light/dark endings
Spoiler for Hiden:
the way starkiller has been progressing, i would find it difficult to fall to the dark side.  part of it is that we know how his father died, and he may have had that part of his memory repressed, making it's eventual discovery more likely to bring out the anger. 

i am surprised at how much i like main character.  the way they wrote him fits perfectly within the universe.  actually sad to know how this ends.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 23, 2008, 05:38:18 PM

been playing this the last few nights and surprisingly, i really like the game.  i've only hit one bug, and luckily not in a boss fight.  i have had some frustrations though,most noticeably the fight with
Spoiler for Hiden:
proxy. darth maul able to block pretty much everything while having a very damaging combo made this a pita.
i eventually let my own frustration (and a little rage, i might add) to beat him, and decisively at that.  the second time was during one of the major scenes
Spoiler for Hiden:
bringing down the star destroyer.  first, it took a few rounds to get hit, and then it was a hit or miss to line up the SD just right to bring it down.

the fight i tagged above had one side effect though.  it made me a better player, oddly enough.  i was able to chain enough attacks and get into the rhythm of kicking ass that i beat him without taking a scratch. 

on the last mission now, and i really like the location.  this game has had some awesome levels.  too bad they reused a few planets though. 

about the light/dark endings
Spoiler for Hiden:
the way starkiller has been progressing, i would find it difficult to fall to the dark side.  part of it is that we know how his father died, and he may have had that part of his memory repressed, making it's eventual discovery more likely to bring out the anger. 

i am surprised at how much i like main character.  the way they wrote him fits perfectly within the universe.  actually sad to know how this ends.

Agreed that it seems odd that he'd turn to the dark side, but that would make the turn all the more shocking/sweet, if you're into that.

I am also on the last level (I was midst
Spoiler for Hiden:
opening the door to the Emperor's chamber
when my daughter got home from school - I'm hoping she naps today).  I was worried we'd make it through the whole game without anyone having a bad feeling about something.  The line was well-placed
Spoiler for Hiden:
(and the line, "then I won't have to live this down" was beautiful and very SW)
- the writing is really good.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2008, 11:36:52 PM »

Game sales are good according to a report on Joystiq:

The Force Unleashed has gone on to sell 1.5 million units worldwide in less than a week, making it the fastest-selling Star Wars game of all time. The figures are based on the first five days of sales across all platforms the game is available on. LucasArts states it shipped more than 4.3 million copies of the game globally, but the demand now requires more units to be manufactured.

Keep on selling TFU!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »

Unfortunately, the dev team behind this was already canned.

Way to go LucasArts, you've got a SW property that's better than the prequels and you can the people responsible for it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 23, 2008, 11:45:04 PM

Unfortunately, the dev team behind this was already canned.

Way to go LucasArts, you've got a SW property that's better than the prequels and you can the people responsible for it.

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the FU team was one of the few that survived the cuts.

Anyhow...I'm just through the Raxus Prime level on the 360 version after having completed the Wii version this weekend. So far I've got to say I really miss the controls and the fluidity of the Wii version. In particular, force gripping objects and hurling them seems very akward in the 360 version by comparison. I don't however miss the poor camera in the Wii version, despite having mastered it by game end. I've been quite surprised at how sluggish the 360 version feels at times, but I guess thats the cost you pay for nice eye candy and much cooler physics. slywink
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:42:10 AM by kronovan » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

1)  Can we please get a spoiler tag on this thread?  While there may or may not be plot points there are still many details of the discoverable "goodies."   Thus I have not read most of it as I prefer to experience it on my own.  Thank you.

2)  I have a good friend who's husband works for LucasArts out here... apparently the division is so poorly run that new management is brought in every handful of years to attempt to fix it.  In the process they usually flush the existing teams.  Rinse and repeat.  I do know that a significant portion of the currently dev staff was recently axed.  While I haven't followed it closely I would not be surprised if it was the team responsible for this game.  In the short (sighted) run it's much cheaper to make a bunch of money off of a Star Wars game if you don't have to pay the benefits of staff while they idle/spin-up for the next project.

3)  I picked it up to day on my way back from the airport.  I loved the demo and I cannot wait to play the full game.  I downloaded the iPhone version and it was an amusing diversion.  But my good friend in Dallas has me psyched for the real version.  "You're not my Father!"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 24, 2008, 06:27:04 AM

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the FU team was one of the few that survived the cuts.

There is a Lucasarts PR rep who frequently posts on QT3 and he gets quite pissed when people bring up the "fact" that the entire team was laid off, because he says it's just not true.  But he also never says that the entire team is still there either.  My guess is that a significant portion were laid off with just a relatively small skeleton crew left. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

Well, all of the positive feedback from forum members has not only convinced me to pick up Force Unleashed, but I will probably pick it up on my way home from the office today.  I didn't pick it up last week because I was flying to Philly for the Eagles/Steelers game and wouldn't have time to play, and last night we picked up the dogs from the kennel and it was bath-time all around.  But throughout the weekend I'd catch Darth Vader's theme on the TV for all of the commercials and lately I've been salivating to get over to Best Buy. 

The wife wants a copy of Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise as well (picking up a game for her makes grabbing one for myself a little easier). 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2008, 05:58:36 PM »

finished up last night (good ending) and i have to give it higher marks than i first thought i would.  it's tempting me to keep the copy from gamefly, actually.  throwing helpless storm troopers around really makes you feel like a proper badass.  you aren't god though, and a swarm of enemies can kill you just as much as a jedi master.  learning the combos is a bit much for a pure action game, but it's so worthwhile to get a handle on them as you can do a lot more damage without taking any yourself. 

going back through the game the second time with all your powers, combos, and attributes is wicked fun.  just wish it was possible to go through that way on the harder difficulty and get the credit for it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 24, 2008, 05:58:36 PM

finished up last night (good ending) and i have to give it higher marks than i first thought i would.  it's tempting me to keep the copy from gamefly, actually.  throwing helpless storm troopers around really makes you feel like a proper badass.  you aren't god though, and a swarm of enemies can kill you just as much as a jedi master.  learning the combos is a bit much for a pure action game, but it's so worthwhile to get a handle on them as you can do a lot more damage without taking any yourself. 

going back through the game the second time with all your powers, combos, and attributes is wicked fun.  just wish it was possible to go through that way on the harder difficulty and get the credit for it.

Well that does make Sith Lord or whatever the hardest is a real huge kickass hard to get achievement:) One that i'll never get! lol.  3rd difficulty was hard enough!  I am hugely loving going back through on normal though as I am truely godlike now with these powers in normal mode.  I'm picking up the rest of the holocrons using the IGN guide as well.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »

Finished it up yesterday and am already on my second play through on the third difficulty.

Pros:
--------------
Excellent story, writing and voice acting
Force powers are very well done and extremely satisfying to use
Lightsaber combat is a complete joy
Customization of force powers and skills makes for some nice replayability options
Excellent artwork with some amazing vistas

Cons:
--------------
Camera is too close and doesn't pan smartly
Frustrating deaths from camera problem (attacks from behind, blocked visibility)
Some cheap boss fights
Force resistant stormtroopers, while not as big a deal as I had feared, are still a bit odd
Lock-on system needs a method to toggle an enemies-only filter

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and highly entertaining.  I don't feel that the gameplay was groundbreaking in anyway, but it adequately filled the bill to make me feel like I was a Sith badass.
Graphics:  10/10
Gameplay: 7/10 
Controls: 6/10 (due to the camera)
Story:  9/10
Sound:  10/10
Overall:  8/10

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the topic of cheap boss fights I found it exceptionally disappointing that the team somehow found a way to make pulling a Star Destroyer down monotonous and, well, boring.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:53:11 PM by Jancelot » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »

Um, wait...how do you start a new game with all of your existing powers?!?!  When I hit New it started me over with nothing to my name.  What the heck did I miss?  Oh, and let me throw in a pre-emptive  icon_redface
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 27, 2008, 09:35:40 PM

Um, wait...how do you start a new game with all of your existing powers?!?!  When I hit New it started me over with nothing to my name.  What the heck did I miss?  Oh, and let me throw in a pre-emptive  icon_redface

load the savegame of your last playthrough.  i was kind of annoyed too as it starts you out at the beginning and i got the impression that it had only saved my progress there.  turns out you can select any level once you load that save.  everything you have unlocked/found/upgraded will be there and you can keep upgrading everything by playing through again.  also, any found holocrons will not respawn, and are already  counted, so anything you find will be the leftovers.  it would be perfect if you could up the difficulty as i hoped, but it is massively enjoyable as it is.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »

You guys are starting to break me down on this.  Anyone know which platform was the lead SKU or which version was supposedly better?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »

Yay for DLC!!!  New chracter skins and new campaign stuff!

http://kotaku.com/5056648/new-campaign-characters-coming-to-the-force-unleashed
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 30, 2008, 03:28:22 PM

Yay for DLC!!!  New chracter skins and new campaign stuff!

http://kotaku.com/5056648/new-campaign-characters-coming-to-the-force-unleashed

I was sold on picking this up today, anyway, but now it'll be that much easier to justify if my wife asks why I didn't just borrow a copy from a friend.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: