http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 20010 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »

Mike is thankfully with power in his area of Texas, but many in his neighborhood are without it.  That means no fancy graphic right now. smile

That said, we've got our review of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed all complete for ya!

http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1093

Any questions for me?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:38:47 AM »

i really hate that they went qte for every big fight finisher.  while it looks great for spectators, it breaks the immersion imo. 

oh well, if the rental gets sent out, i'll still play it straight through just to see how far they go with the 'unleashed' part. 

good review there ron.  especially about trying to stay untouched regarding it's current reception.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

Finally someone who will review a SW title and not just bash it because it's the cool thing to do.  Bring on Tuesday!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »

I really do try to stay clear of any review info prior to writing my own.  I let that info in twice and it really skewed my review.  Won't be fooled again.  *YYEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »

Thanks for the review. I'm still kind of excited for it, despite the bad points in the review. I'm getting kinda sick of Mercs2 and if this is anything less buggy/unpolished but just as fun, Mercs2 is being traded in.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

I just cannot get excited for this game even after playing the demo and I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  I simply cannot get myself to play a "bad" character in a game.  No how, no way.  When playing the demo I could not kill the rebel soldier guys.  I had no problem with the stormtroopers.  I'm very funny that way with games.  I know it's just a game but for the life of me I cannot be bad in games.  Never have, never will.  I was secretly hoping that the story would in some way allow you to turn against the dark side and become good but everything I read about the game points towards that not being the case.

Still holding vigil for the next true Star Wars game:  Knights of the Old Republic 3 (and not the lame MMO  Roll Eyes).   

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on September 15, 2008, 02:41:12 PM

I just cannot get excited for this game even after playing the demo and I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  I simply cannot get myself to play a "bad" character in a game.  No how, no way.  When playing the demo I could not kill the rebel soldier guys.  I had no problem with the stormtroopers.  I'm very funny that way with games.  I know it's just a game but for the life of me I cannot be bad in games.  Never have, never will.  I was secretly hoping that the story would in some way allow you to turn against the dark side and become good but everything I read about the game points towards that not being the case.

Still holding vigil for the next true Star Wars game:  Knights of the Old Republic 3 (and not the lame MMO  Roll Eyes).   

*cough* God of War *cough*

I was pretty much planning to pick up the game, even despite the sub-par reviews, but Ron's review solidified my decision.  And with the wife wanting Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, it's easy to justify a game for myself if I buy one for her, too.   icon_twisted

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »

wow. just wow.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »

STARSHIFTER!!!

Back from the dead, I see!

I feel the same way about playing the baddie, usually.  I enjoyed the demo for this one, though it may be because I was a) able to create the idea that I'm secretly a good guy in my head (though there's a lot of rebel killing going on) and 2) holding out hope that there will at least be revenge against one of the big bads.  Surely, things don't go smoothly as a secret apprentice.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »

Welcome back Starshifter.  The only hard decision I had was whether to force choke them, impale them, and then electrify them OR force choke them, electrify them, and THEN impale them.   I agree...tough decisions.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »

He's been back a few days after a 7 month hiatus.  We agree on the greatness of Kotor but I saw sights that Shifty never saw as I played through it a 2nd time as a Sith and it was even more fun than as a Jedi.

In any event, the demo didn't do much for me but I may give it a rental.  I have a candle lit in my room in quiet vigil for KOTO3...and I agree...the MMO doesn't count.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:51:25 PM »

just got an email that gamefly is sending this out for the 360, so i will be able to take a less lethal bullet for anyone here still on the fence.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:20:43 AM »

nice review!

seriously i think you hit it on the head with the end % score (at least based on my playtime with the demo)...

and i hope they license the engines driving the game (or have they already?)  my thoughts on the game were that the storyline, "epic-ness" of some of the events, and the tech were the highlights - spotty gameplay aside i was going to rent it just for those (my initial demo impressions were absolute glee as i smashed out a window to test the physics, and my jaw dropped when vacuum kicked in, followed by a dropping blast door - the rest of the demo didnt leave me that impressed but damned if that moment wasnt GREAT in its own way)
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:54:45 AM »

About the Force resistant enemies. Are there whole levels of them or just the occasional baddie? And how exactly are they resistant? I'm guessing you can't pick them up, but can you lightning or Force push them? I agree that it seems an odd choice for a game supposedly about being the awsomest Force dude ever who ever awsomed.

I'm not sure Force resistant technology is so fiction breaking though. By the time of Episode IV Darth Vader and the Emperor are the only Force users active on the galatic scale, so there wouldn't be much need for arming troops with anti-force gear. In fact the Emperor and Vader would have a keen interest in making sure such equipment was not widespread. You'd have to assume it didn't exist during the Old Republic as it certainly would have been major element in that world.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:10 AM »

Edited because I'm just mad and I don't believe the whole "I just can't play an evil character."  Yes you can.  Give in to the Dark Side.  After all, you are a Giants fan.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:04:47 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »

Quote from: Wheelman on September 16, 2008, 03:54:45 AM

About the Force resistant enemies. Are there whole levels of them or just the occasional baddie? And how exactly are they resistant? I'm guessing you can't pick them up, but can you lightning or Force push them? I agree that it seems an odd choice for a game supposedly about being the awsomest Force dude ever who ever awsomed.

I'm not sure Force resistant technology is so fiction breaking though. By the time of Episode IV Darth Vader and the Emperor are the only Force users active on the galatic scale, so there wouldn't be much need for arming troops with anti-force gear. In fact the Emperor and Vader would have a keen interest in making sure such equipment was not widespread. You'd have to assume it didn't exist during the Old Republic as it certainly would have been major element in that world.

Force resistant means that lightning often fails, you can't pick them up, you can't grip them, you can't push them, they block thrown lightsabers, etc. etc. etc. etc.  They are all but impervious until they decide not to block.  At that point, choke, push, and lightning have a small chance of working (lightning more than anything else) but it's up close and personal with the saber from there.  There are non in the first 4 or so levels, but as you move ever closer to the end there are more of them.  The guys at the end are a brutal mix of both, along with heavy support units, flyers, snipers, and more.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »

Thanks for the review.  I'm looking forward to it and have already made my Tuesday lunch - Best Buy plans.  I'll give it a spin tomorrow after work and maybe post some initial thoughts.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cayusa/2838505123/sizes/l/in/pool-56666704@N00/

I always suspected....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »

Hey KD, any recommendations between the PS3 and 360 versions?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2008, 02:35:03 PM

eek saywhat crybaby

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 16, 2008, 02:56:06 PM

Wish I could help there - I've only seen the 360 version. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2008, 03:23:45 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on September 16, 2008, 02:56:06 PM

Wish I could help there - I've only seen the 360 version. 

Darn, ok thanks KD.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »

Another website commented that the 360 version has some screen-tearing that isn't apparent in the PS3 version, but I think it's a pretty minor issue because they still scored exactly the same.

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 16, 2008, 03:42:10 PM

Another website commented that the 360 version has some screen-tearing that isn't apparent in the PS3 version, but I think it's a pretty minor issue because they still scored exactly the same.

-Autistic Angel

Cool thanks man!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »

Welcome back! thumbsup

I personally don't mind playing good or bad in the SW universe; Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight was my favorite and using dark force powers was a thrill.

Oh, and then there was the propaganda in Tie Fighter that made that game fantastic.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »

Man no MP component makes this a hard choice...do I get the PS3 and have better graphics and sound, or the 360 with a better controller?!?!?!?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 16, 2008, 04:59:14 PM

Man no MP component makes this a hard choice...do I get the PS3 and have better graphics and sound, or the 360 with a better controller?!?!?!?

No no no - get the Wii version for the better controls. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 16, 2008, 05:27:35 PM

Stop that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 16, 2008, 05:27:35 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing as well as for the offline mplay. According to the review at IGN, who scored it a 7.8, the Wii control scheme is better done than the 360 or PS3 version:

In fact, even areas we expected would be problematic ended up working very well in the end. Gesture-based attacking is nearly flawless, though you'll need to time your swipes perfectly to string together combos that, in other Force Unleashed games, can be done by mashing the attack button over and over again (in this reviewer's opinion, the Wii version is superior on that front). The nunchuk controls, used mainly for "force clashes" and interactive kill sequences works to a much higher degree than we expected, even getting the rotation and push system found during Jedi duels and the game's multiplayer vs. mode working flawlessly. It's obvious that with more time, and more attention to just a Wii version of the game, Krome Studios could have knocked this one out of the park.

They do also mention in their review that the graphics don't touch the 360 or PS3 version and that the camera is a bit problematic. They also mention that some of the boss battles feel broken. Gamespot, who gave it a 6 were much less kind to it and also mentioned that the sound is significantly inferior to the 360 and PS3 version, but I didn't come across that in any of the other reviews. I just put that down to the background noise caused by the hisses and grunts from the crew at gamespot due to their inability to properly hold the wiimote in their fat paws.  icon_twisted

I figure if I'm going to lay down my cash for any version of this game, I best get the version that has mplay and some decent replayability.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »

Man, Shifty, after going through a Wookie rampage on the first level, I'm not sure you'd make it far in this game.  Of course, you're Vader in that level, but still...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »

well I got teh 360 version because the 360 box said content download and the ps3 one did not.  Also 360 box said 1080p and ps3 said 720p max.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »

My kids are dying for me to pick this game up for the Wii, but I'm not sure that I want to have my six year old watching me slaughter wookies...
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

I got the wii version and I love it. It looks like the graphics are from the 90's but the control scheme really puts you in the game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 16, 2008, 07:25:54 PM

My kids are dying for me to pick this game up for the Wii, but I'm not sure that I want to have my six year old watching me slaughter wookies...

The wookie death action is only in the first level. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2008, 07:55:15 PM

Quote from: hentzau on September 16, 2008, 07:25:54 PM

The wookie death action is only in the first level. 

yeah, i kinda found it hard to kill the wookies, but you dont really have a choice.  turning jawas into toast later on is pretty awesome though.

i have found a huge bug/glitch on the 2nd level.  while you are fighting Kazdan Paratus, he will grab on to a pole that is right off the circular platform.  if you electrocute him off of it, you might as well start the level over.  even if he comes back and you take all his life away, you cannot kill him.  FRUSTRATING.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »

Did they cut content from the Wii version? Gamespot says the Wii version is 5-6 hours and the 360 video review mentions 9 hours. The IGN Wii review also says 6 hours and the 360 review says 8-10 hours. I was under the impression that the Wii version has the same SP component (albeit uglier) as the 360/PS3 versions, but reviews would indicate otherwise.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »

Picked it up today at TRU as they gave out a $20 gift card with purchase.  Better than a T-shirt IMO.  They also had 50% off the game guide if you are in to that sort of thing.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »

X-Play skewered it and gave it a 2 out 5, saying you were better off saving your money and watching the cutscenes (which they found to be the best part of the game) on Youtube.

They showed onscreen that the last level's bonus goal was "default text". KD, was that in your copy? I am wondering if that was in the final release or just their review copy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2008, 02:35:03 PM

female Vader kinda has nice boobs....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 01:12:27 AM »

Absolutely loving the game.  I'm on level 3 and it's more of what was in the demo, but with options now to customize your characters abilities.  The art is great, story is great, music is great.  Yay for awesome Star Wars games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: