http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Resident Evil 5  (Read 7728 times)
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 02, 2009, 08:34:34 PM

Finally got the Platinum trophy for RE5. I really got my money's worth from this game. smile

Had you updated to 1.02 before you got that and if you did, have you purchased the DLC for the game yet?  Just curious id the DLC is required to get the Platinum after updating.

TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »

Yes I had updated, and no, I didn't have the DLC. DLC and expansions will never count against Platinum on the PS3, so don't worry about that. There are many more games out there that are the same, such as Little Big Planet and Burnout Paradise. Only the original trophies are needed.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

I'm a bit late to the game, but I rented it this week.  I was imediately turned off by the first major fight where the guy with the axe and all his buddies start to swarm you.  Between the camera (being stuck with most of the screen taken up by Chris' body) and clumsiness of the shooting system (which worked in the old games, but here the pausing and inability to move when aiming the gun doesn't feel at all right in a FPS), and the lack of any direction (I really had no idea what I was supposed to do -- kill them all, or just run in circles until someone comes to pick us up).  In any case, I ended up dying, took the disc out of the drive and went back to playing Mass Effect, which I was enjoying much more and still need to finish.

I absolutely loved the first two games in the series.  I never played the ones in between RE2 and RE5, but I'm not really sure if I should give it another go.  In any case, if someone could give me some pointers on that fight with the Axe guy and 1000 henchmen at the beginning of the game I'd appreciate it.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2009, 11:14:50 AM »

Quote from: Fez on May 06, 2009, 07:31:24 PM

I'm a bit late to the game, but I rented it this week.  I was imediately turned off by the first major fight where the guy with the axe and all his buddies start to swarm you.  Between the camera (being stuck with most of the screen taken up by Chris' body) and clumsiness of the shooting system (which worked in the old games, but here the pausing and inability to move when aiming the gun doesn't feel at all right in a FPS), and the lack of any direction (I really had no idea what I was supposed to do -- kill them all, or just run in circles until someone comes to pick us up).  In any case, I ended up dying, took the disc out of the drive and went back to playing Mass Effect, which I was enjoying much more and still need to finish.

I absolutely loved the first two games in the series.  I never played the ones in between RE2 and RE5, but I'm not really sure if I should give it another go.  In any case, if someone could give me some pointers on that fight with the Axe guy and 1000 henchmen at the beginning of the game I'd appreciate it.
First time through . . . keep moving  . . . use the explosive barrels and the power transformers to your advantage

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

I'm playing this, and really enjoying it.  Ammo management, and the difficult controls make for some tense moments.

I'm in the underground section and finding it very difficult as I'm low on ammo.  I don't see any option to purchase ammo, am I missing something?

"Goonies never say die"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »

No you can't purchase ammo. If you run out then you can replay an earlier level in the game to scrounge some up. 
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 08, 2009, 06:17:46 PM

No you can't purchase ammo. If you run out then you can replay an earlier level in the game to scrounge some up. 

Thanks, I'm not sure if I should hate that gameplay mechanic or not.

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »

So, I went back to a level and stocked up on ammo.

Can I leave that level at any time and keep the ammo I've collected, or do I have to complete the whole level?

"Goonies never say die"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 15, 2009, 11:44:41 AM

So, I went back to a level and stocked up on ammo.

Can I leave that level at any time and keep the ammo I've collected, or do I have to complete the whole level?

You can leave at any time- when you exit the game should ask you if you want to save your inventory (or something similarly worded). 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »

I just finished this and I had to make myself do the last few chapters...it was horrible.  I don't know how I liked RE4 since this is basically the same thing, but after playing Dead Space, RE is just crap now.  Controls are terrible, the story just keeps getting worse and worse, and the boss battles are frustrating.  This series one had so much promise....unless they completely redo the series in 6, I won't be duped into buying it again.  I feel bad for Dead Space devs, that put out a fantastic survival horror game, only to get slaughtered in sales by this game on name alone.  Boo Resident Evil!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 24, 2009, 08:40:24 PM

I don't know how I liked RE4 since this is basically the same thing, but after playing Dead Space, RE is just crap now. 

Don't tar RE4 with that brush- RE5 is a pale shadow of the game that RE4 is. 
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

If you can beat the game in under 6 hours you get the Infinite RPG unlocked.
A friend helped me run through the game in co-op as Sheva's AI is horrible.

Once you have the infinite weapon unlocks the game is a breeze to explore and run through, but only in Co-op mode. (well the RPG helps no matter what)

I'm not a big fan of the not shooting while moving feature, but the game is pretty good overall.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »

Can this game be system linked? I'd like to go through this coop again, but instead of splitscreen I want to have each of us on our own TVs. I've tried to look into this online with no success, does anyone happen to know?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 10, 2009, 10:52:29 PM

Can this game be system linked? I'd like to go through this coop again, but instead of splitscreen I want to have each of us on our own TVs. I've tried to look into this online with no success, does anyone happen to know?

It should say on the back of the box. All games list their features there.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2009, 03:01:58 AM »

I don't have access to the back of the box unfortunately, however I suppose we can just both play online side-by-side.

Sean Lama
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2009, 04:33:21 AM »

I just purchased this game the other day if anyone is interested in some online PS3 play my ID is: Darrenzo-

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »

A simple search at Teamxbox.com states it does not support it.
Shows the feature list from the back of the box.

The GT Database used to hold that type of info, but I guess it got removed.

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1275/Resident-Evil-5/

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »

I finally finished this after having it since launch.  It's a pretty long game, at least longer than most SP I like to play, I'm guessing around 20 hours.  The graphics even in the end, never ceased to amaze me, I'm astounded at some of the stuff they've done with the 360, even if it is smoke and mirrors.  The story was typical Resident Evil stuff, but it wasn't terrible.

Now to go play with Sheva's clubbin' outfit.

"Goonies never say die"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2010, 02:58:48 PM »

got into this (the gold version) to kill time, & am suddenly in chapter 4. much better game than i'd ever've thought, & i'm enjoying it much more than i did re4 (tho i still prefer the original iterations to both, as was brought home by unlocking & playing the 'lost in nightmares' episode, which i had more fun with than the game itself smile ). way too much gunplay for my taste, but sheva's been more than competent, & the production values are pretty much second to none - very glad i finally got around to playing this, clunky controls & all (which i think, were the camera pulled back a bit, wouldn't feel quite as clunky as they do - by going for a compromise between first & third person, they sorta ended up with almost the worst of both? smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »

I've always wondered if I would enjoy this by myself, it's the only RE game from the primary story (not counting stuff like Umbrella Chronicles) I never finished.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »

I want to go back to it some time since it's also the only mainline RE game I haven't finished.  But it was so much of a disappointment coming from RE4....

Maybe its improved with the Gold ediiton stuff.

Wasn't this game rumored to be getting Move and/or Natal support or did I imagine that? 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 10, 2010, 06:16:21 PM

Wasn't this game rumored to be getting Move and/or Natal support or did I imagine that?

not your imagination, as i remember that as well. but've heard nothing since...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »

Support for those controls are actually in the Gold Edition code, but since those aren't released yet, it's not active.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 10, 2010, 06:39:40 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 10, 2010, 06:16:21 PM

not your imagination, as i remember that as well. but've heard nothing since...

IIRC a version has been promised which will support Sony's new motion sensor, but no announcements have been made regarding Natal support.  I haven't played it yet since RE4 was so awesome on the Wii, I didn't want to play RE5 without a similar controller experience.  Looking forward to seeing an enhanced version on the PS3.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »

there! (end spoiler) -

Spoiler for Hiden:
wesker's dead! no, really! he's d-e-a-d - dead! he has ceased to be! he's expired and gone to meet his maker! he's a stiff! bereft of life, he rests in peace! his metabolic processes are now history! he's off the twig! he's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!!...

for me, the game was a lot more fun than re4 - just the ashley to sheva trade-off (not to mention the presence of jill & wesker) was a big improvement smile . combine that with a more interesting setting, & a better-paced story, & i ended up feeling like i was playing a re game, & not just some funky shooter that was named re, much more often than i ever did with re4...

that said, can we now please cut back on the 'waves of zombies / never-ending gun battles' version, & return to form a bit?...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:54:16 PM by semiconscious » Logged

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »

played through this on the PC back in the day....(on a pirated copy cause i used to do that)..

Well i picked up The Gold edition for xbox 360 last weekend (new, had a gift card).  Fantastic deal with all that DLC on the disk imho and still some of the best production values available in a game and graphics for the xbox 360.

Having a total blast so far playing this again...took a couple missions to get used to the controls again but that's done now and really...it's not BAD...it's just DIFFERENT:P

This game has some of the best replayability mechanics in gaming action/shooter history too.

Gold disk includes all the DLC which is some costumes, 4 new stand alone missions, versus mode...etc.

There is some problems with gold disk errors but i found the solution on the net to it.  If you buy the gold edition you gotta make sure and delete all old DLC content if you had any of the DLC before gold edition.  You have to go into settings and clear your storage devices cache....and you have to launch the game and create your first save game BEFORE YOU ALLOW IT TO PATCH.

Failure to follow the above usually leads to "dirty disk errors" even though there is nothing wrong with the disk...going back and following the instructions above will fix it though.

Anyhow, happy days.  I'm through mission 2-2 now.  Taking my time really exploring the levels, makin sure i get all those pesky BSAA emblems the first time through:)

I may be up for some scheduled co-op if anyone wants to have a go at it with gold edition these days...i noticed some posts were from May.

Still a bloody awesome game imho.  

edit: oh yea, and if you're like me and have bought a samsung 3d HDTV, i gotta say, RE5 looks freakin awesome in 3D conversion.  Every bit as cool as the new 3d movie imho.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:29:59 AM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: