http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Resident Evil 5  (Read 7539 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2009, 06:58:28 PM

Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed in the game so far (though still enjoying it) but I think Sheva's AI is quite competent. 

Disappointed in single-player with an AI partner or are you playing coop? It's really two different games entirely...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 20, 2009, 07:04:20 PM

Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed in the game so far (though still enjoying it) but I think Sheva's AI is quite competent. 

Disappointed in single-player with an AI partner or are you playing coop? It's really two different games entirely...

AI Partner.  I'm sure the co-op experience is excellent but it isn't what I really what I'm interested in nor what I want from a Resident Evil game.   
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2009, 07:08:06 PM

Quote from: Ridah on March 20, 2009, 07:04:20 PM

AI Partner.  I'm sure the co-op experience is excellent but it isn't what I really what I'm interested in nor what I want from a Resident Evil game.   

I know what you mean but honestly after RE4's departure from the previous games to a more action-oriented type of gameplay, I stopped thinking of the RE series as survival-horror.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »

I am enjoying the game thus far, but I find I am running into two issues:

1)  Sheva will, at times, stand there and do nothing.  My wife was watching me play and she said, "Is she ever going to shoot anything?"
2)  I keep running out of ammo.  I killed the chainsaw dude with my last bullet.  I then had to go through the next section with basically nothing and had to stab things to death (running through most of my health restorers) until I finally came into some ammo.  I wish you could buy it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 23, 2009, 07:10:42 PM

1)  Sheva will, at times, stand there and do nothing.  My wife was watching me play and she said, "Is she ever going to shoot anything?"
2)  I keep running out of ammo.  I killed the chainsaw dude with my last bullet.  I then had to go through the next section with basically nothing and had to stab things to death (running through most of my health restorers) until I finally came into some ammo.  I wish you could buy it.

I found that if you buy the capacity upgrade, you get a full clip with it...but yeah it would be nice to be able to buy ammo.  I am also running really tight.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 07:21:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 23, 2009, 07:13:47 PM

I found that if you buy the capacity upgrade, you get a full clip with it...but yeah it would be nice to be able to buy ammo.  I am also running really tight.

I use the clip upgrade trick too. I have also found that the knife is really effective against zombies that are trying to come in through windows. You can literally sit there and swing away while the Zombies keep coming back for more all the while you take 0 damage. Saves ammo that way.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »

That's because you've ordered her to cover you. This can happen a lot during boss fights. If you want her to actually do something aggressive without your direct help, tell her to attack. Otherwise she'll stay back and conserve ammo.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 23, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

I know what you mean but honestly after RE4's departure from the previous games to a more action-oriented type of gameplay, I stopped thinking of the RE series as survival-horror.

That's not really it though- I *love* RE4.  It's one of my favorite games of all time.  I also love several of the eariler entries in the series (especially REmake and Code Veronica) even though they are vastly different.  So I'm not opposed to changes in the series.  But RE5 seems like a RE4 clone designed by committee with little of the inventiveness that was present in RE4 from start to finish. 

While RE4 got better and better for me as it went along, RE5 actually gets worse for me and at this point I can only do a sub-chapter a night before I lose interest.  I'm on Level 5-3 and at this point I'm probably going to finish just out of a sense of obligation to the series more than anything else.   

Co-op may elevate it to something incredibly unique and spectacular, but as a single player game RE5 is probably my least favorite in the mainline series. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »

That's where the persistent inventory comes in- it's kind of intended that you replay an earlier chapter to regain ammo and then go back to where you were. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 08:16:34 PM

That's where the persistent inventory comes in- it's kind of intended that you replay an earlier chapter to regain ammo and then go back to where you were. 

If that is by design, that is pretty poor.  Why would you force me to replay a level to get ammo to play the next level?  And so how does that work?  Do I just play the previous level long enough to get ammo and then go back to my current level?  Seriously, that is dumb.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »

It's not absolutely mandatory- I've been able to get through most areas without needing a replay but it is part of the new, sort of arcade-y approach to RE5.  Along with the co-op, numerous unlockables, ability to select any chapter to play at any time, shorter, more focused campaign, new inventory menu, etc it puts more emphasis on repeat of different areas under different circumstances than the focus on one single extended run through of the single player game.

I think that Tom Chick's review does a pretty good job of summaring what the designers were going for.  I appreciate that it works wonderfully for a lot of people but I don't care for the change myself. 

Basically your inventory is persistent throughout the game- it's a separate save from your campaign save- so if you play to say, Chapter 4-1 and the restart Chapter 1-1, you'll have the option of bringing your entire inventory from 4-1 into that level.  And then you can quit at any point in the replay of 1-1 and you'll have that updated inventory available to you when you go back to 4-1.  It works for treasure as well so you can farm ammo and gold at any time. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

I went through the entire game from start to finish without having any major ammo problems, so I don't think you're supposed to go back and scrounge for ammo by design. It's an option though, which is better than being stuck with an unwinnable save.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 09:05:05 PM

Basically your inventory is persistent throughout the game- it's a separate save from your campaign save- so if you play to say, Chapter 4-1 and the restart Chapter 1-1, you'll have the option of bringing your entire inventory from 4-1 into that level.  And then you can quit at any point in the replay of 1-1 and you'll have that updated inventory available to you when you go back to 4-1.  It works for treasure as well so you can farm ammo and gold at any time. 

And there's a few decent locations to do it in, too. 2-1 gives you the MP5 (which you can then sell afterwards and gain 45 'machine gun' ammo), along with 5 barrels and a chest up the ladder that'll net you 1000 monies. Grab it all, quit, and go right back in if you need quick ammo.

Additionally, you can easily 'dupe' your current inventory using two XBLA accounts and two controllers. Yes, it's cheap as all get out, but it'll help with your ammo issues if you choose to do so.

That said, a friend and I have been playing the entire game on co-op - we really haven't had any ammo issues, but we're also both pretty crack shots. Our main issues are with the bosses, and not knowing how to kill them. Makes the game quite interesting at those points.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 23, 2009, 09:37:37 PM

That said, a friend and I have been playing the entire game on co-op - we really haven't had any ammo issues, but we're also both pretty crack shots. Our main issues are with the bosses, and not knowing how to kill them. Makes the game quite interesting at those points.

Yeah, the bosses are some of the best parts of the game. The ones you meet towards the end of the game are extremely epic and makes the bosses from RE4 feel like wimps. smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »

On the other hand, RE5 rips a lot of those boss fights straight from other games.  slywink
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2009, 09:32:46 PM

I went through the entire game from start to finish without having any major ammo problems, so I don't think you're supposed to go back and scrounge for ammo by design. It's an option though, which is better than being stuck with an unwinnable save.

Same here, although not quite finished yet.  I'm nearing the end of chapter 5, and so far ammo hasn't really been a problem.  There were a few tights spots where I was running low, but nothing that would have warranted a replay of an earlier level.  Since starting chapter 5, I've actually come across so much of it that I have been dumping full stacks in the "stash" to save for later.

Overall I think it's a great game, but I liked Resident Evil 4 better.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »

I think the most dissapointing aspect of 5 is the storyline. It's a bit lackluster compared to past games. RE4 had a solid story from the start that sucked you in. 5's story is kind of just there. Heck chapter 1 is largely devoid of any storyline at all.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »

I am in ch 4 now and it seems pretty clear to me that they want you to go back and replay levels to get gold and ammo.  I'm a long time RE player and I know they make ammo scarce (except Re4).  I shoot for knees and try to melee.  I try and get headshots, I group up enemies for big attacks.  I've upgraded my weapons to have tons of dmg.  I swear though every time they throw a bunch of stuff at me, I blow all my ammo trying to kill them.  It's nuts.  And I still maintain the AI is crap.  Even on attack mode Sheva does little to nothing and mostly just gets in my way. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »

Yahtzee's take:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 26, 2009, 03:05:06 PM

I am in ch 4 now and it seems pretty clear to me that they want you to go back and replay levels to get gold and ammo.  I'm a long time RE player and I know they make ammo scarce (except Re4).  I shoot for knees and try to melee.  I try and get headshots, I group up enemies for big attacks.  I've upgraded my weapons to have tons of dmg.  I swear though every time they throw a bunch of stuff at me, I blow all my ammo trying to kill them.  It's nuts.  And I still maintain the AI is crap.  Even on attack mode Sheva does little to nothing and mostly just gets in my way. 

You aren't attempting to play through it on Veteran, are you? That difficulty is intended for those who've already upgraded their weapons somewhat, which could explain why you're so notoriously low on ammo. I have no idea why some reviewers recommend people play on Veteran their first time through.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

I finished my Veteran play through my first time out and I thought it was pretty balanced, similar to Dead Space. I felt challenged the entire way through (the first village section from the demo was chaotic and tense), but never frustrated.

There were a few sections where I was low on ammo, but it definitely seemed like the game 'scaled' to meet my current status: for instance if I was low on health, I was sure to get an herb or two in the next few drops or item smashes, or vice versa with ammo.

I didn't replay any parts (other than dying). My only complaint was that cash seemed a little light, as I wasn't able to fully upgrade any guns (or even buy the second vest).

Note that I did 'abuse' the 'capacity upgrade -> full clip' feature. This was especially nice once the MP5 got into the 100+ rounds range.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 26, 2009, 05:10:05 PM

You aren't attempting to play through it on Veteran, are you? That difficulty is intended for those who've already upgraded their weapons somewhat, which could explain why you're so notoriously low on ammo. I have no idea why some reviewers recommend people play on Veteran their first time through.

Nah I'm playing on the middle difficulty. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2009, 07:02:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 26, 2009, 06:15:03 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 26, 2009, 05:10:05 PM

Nah I'm playing on the middle difficulty. 

Sorry, gonna have to strongly disagree with you... by no means is the game designed for a player to replay chapters just to grind ammo and beat the game normally.  It's not mandatory whatsoever.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »

is there a way to make Shiva use a weapon of your choice?   all she uses is the damn pistol....until she runs out of ammo and then switches.   i removed the pistol from her inventory and then added another weapon i wanted her to use and she equipped it.   however, as soon as i put the pistol back in her inventory....she started using it again.

am i missing something?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Make sure you alter her between Cover and Attack as needed (hold down "B" and then press up or down).  In cover she will default to using the weakest weapon in her inventory (often the pistol).  In Attack mode she will use the most powerful weapons in her inventory. 
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2009, 05:44:49 PM »

Finished last night on Normal.  Overall I think it's a great game, but the story and design of 4 was much better.  I played with Sheva mostly in cover mode the entire game, which is probably why I didn't have as much trouble with ammo.  I think Ron's review is spot-on, as it's definitely good, but not Gold material.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the boss fights in this game nearly as fun as 4.  Aside from a few, all of them seemed to be some variation of "massive tentacle blob".  It got old really fast, and by the time I hit the end I was ready for it to be over.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »

I am almost at the end, and I would concur with it being short of 4 in quality. I found chapter 6 to be the least fun so far, as there were some frustratingly hard parts (even on Amateur). In fact where I am now I have died on repeatedly. (I think it's just before the final boss.) I had a blast with the first 5 chapters. I wouldn't mind this being longer, though it didn't feel short.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

I'm on 5-3 and, after having Sheva get insta-killed by a certain enemy, have little motivation to continue.  Not sure if I will finish or not. 

I thought the game started off well but has been going steadily downhill.  Huge disappointment to this diehard Resident Evil fan. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »

Yeah, have to say I am not feeling the love either.  I am going to be selling my PS3 copy for low $30's when done if anyone interested. 

While decent length and looks pretty good, just not RE enough for my tastes.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »

Finished this off yesterday. Overall I found most of chapter 6 to be frustrating even on the easiest difficulty. Still, I enjoyed the game as a whole very much. I think the real time inventory was a big improvement over the tedious inventory in RE4. I think the length felt pretty good. Definitely much shorter than 4, but 4 was really long. I'm definitely glad I bought it and am sure will have fun replaying it and maxing out weapons and getting infinite ammo. This is definitely not very scary, though I didn't find 4 all that scary either. There is still a good bit of tension, but that kind of gets lost in the late game. Thumbs up, if not so enthusiastically as with RE4.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »

RE5 really got its hooks into me this weekend. I've been playing it non-stop, unlocking more and more stuff until finally I started challenging myself with the Professional difficulty (that you have to unlock) where any hit is lethal, almost without exception. Even using Magnums with infinite ammo, it gets really, really difficult. I'm now only 2 trophies away from a platinum, and it's been one hell of a ride. smile
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 08:13:55 PM

Co-op may elevate it to something incredibly unique and spectacular, but as a single player game RE5 is probably my least favorite in the mainline series. 

Another good single-player franchise sacrificed at the altar of multiplayer.  icon_frown
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

Actually, I think it was sacrificed on the altar of quick cash in sequel.

If you look, it's not the co-op that ruins it.

It's how they're basically riding the coattails of RE4, and then copying from so many other games out there.

Not to say I didn't have fun playing it though.

I'm really glad to hear that RE6, with the original RE4 designer on it is going for another radical departure for the series.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 27, 2009, 06:00:21 PM

I'm on 5-3 and, after having Sheva get insta-killed by a certain enemy, have little motivation to continue.  Not sure if I will finish or not. 

I thought the game started off well but has been going steadily downhill.  Huge disappointment to this diehard Resident Evil fan. 

yikes!...

have yet to boot it up, myself...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on March 29, 2009, 09:37:11 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 08:13:55 PM

Another good single-player franchise sacrificed at the altar of multiplayer.  icon_frown

That was my snap reaction but upon reflection I agree with Turtle- the co-op isn't the problem with the game so much as it's the generally uninspired level design, enemy design, limp story, etc. 

It's like they started off trying to make RE4, only better, and then realized quite late into development that it was RE4, only worse, and instead of scrapping it and going back to the drawing board (like they did when RE2 and RE4 got into trouble) they just started paring down content, added in persistent inventory, ability to replay levels at any time, and co-op and depended on that stuff to lift the banal single player.  And then added in an utterly half-ass and inconsistent cover system presumably because it's the "It" thing this generation. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »

Having played it and beaten it twice (Amateur and Veteran in co-op only), I agree with what's being said. I can't imagine playing it in single player, as with what little I tried, I found the AI to be pretty brain-dead and while she could shoot pretty well, she was incredibly incapable of taking care of herself, especially in close quarters.

With a human partner though, the game changes around for the MUCH better. Especially with good voice chat on both ends (we used Skype instead of the built-in Xbox Live chat), as we could block off advances and easily cover one another.

What I did get tired of, especially on Veteran (along with Professional if we try it out) are the MANY 'Push X to not die' moments the game loves to throw at you. Especially on the latter boss fights (6-1 through 6-3). Hell - during the boss fights, the game didn't even give you that much sometimes. You'd get a blip SO quickly to pop on your screen that you didn't have much of a chance if you weren't ready.

Finally - we broke the game during the final boss segment. Apparently the boss doesn't like taking an excess of damage in certain points of his scripted routine (which is ass, BTW). We both had unlimited magnum rounds, and we actually aborted the fight twice because we knew we broke his scripting.

All in all, RE5 is a good game. But I HIGHLY recommend playing the entire game with another human player. It's a FAR better game because of it, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »

So far I have to say I'm impressed with the game myself.  I've been through it twice on amateur, once with the nearly brain dead AI, and once with the wife playing co-op. Also went back and treasure mined many of the easy chapters.  Upgraded several weapons to max, and even bought the Gatling gun and longbow.   Now I am working on finding all the treasures.  I'm down to only needing 5 or 6 more of those.

I do have a silly question though. Now that I have beaten the game, if I start a new game on something other them amateur will all my inventory still be there?  With all my maxed out weapons and infinite ammo setup, I'd hate to lose them, since I did run into a couple of tight spots in the game as far as ammo goes.  I"m fairly certain that everything will still be there, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

It does annoy me to no end that Camcom has protected the save game so that I can't even make a backup copy.  This is the PS3 version, not sure if they did the same thing to the 360 version or not.  I"m the kind of person that just knows I am going to lose the HD in this system one of these days, and really don't want to play the game all the way through again with limited ammo.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2009, 12:39:06 AM »

Quote from: jcranmer on March 30, 2009, 10:58:16 PM

I do have a silly question though. Now that I have beaten the game, if I start a new game on something other them amateur will all my inventory still be there?  With all my maxed out weapons and infinite ammo setup, I'd hate to lose them, since I did run into a couple of tight spots in the game as far as ammo goes.  I"m fairly certain that everything will still be there, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

It does annoy me to no end that Camcom has protected the save game so that I can't even make a backup copy.  This is the PS3 version, not sure if they did the same thing to the 360 version or not.  I"m the kind of person that just knows I am going to lose the HD in this system one of these days, and really don't want to play the game all the way through again with limited ammo.

You'll always have your entire inventory no matter what mode (New Game+, Chapter Select, or either of the two with any difficulty) you play the game in. The only exception is when you have another human player with you. In that instance, you'll still have all of your items/weapons/whatever, but the other player will have all of their stuff for their character.

And as far as the save goes - Capcom nuked one 'bug' in the PS3 version that the 360 version has - the ability to dupe your inventory and make lots of money very quickly. All of the tricks to do it don't work in the PS3 version.

That said - I wish developers would stop using the 'protected' save bulllarkey. Just let us do whatever we want to with our saves, okay?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »

Finally got the Platinum trophy for RE5. I really got my money's worth from this game. smile
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 31, 2009, 12:39:06 AM

You'll always have your entire inventory no matter what mode (New Game+, Chapter Select, or either of the two with any difficulty) you play the game in. The only exception is when you have another human player with you. In that instance, you'll still have all of your items/weapons/whatever, but the other player will have all of their stuff for their character.

And as far as the save goes - Capcom nuked one 'bug' in the PS3 version that the 360 version has - the ability to dupe your inventory and make lots of money very quickly. All of the tricks to do it don't work in the PS3 version.

That said - I wish developers would stop using the 'protected' save bulllarkey. Just let us do whatever we want to with our saves, okay?

Thanks!  I've started playing again on normal.  I have to say I don't see much difference between normal and amateur.  Also been doing a fair share of treasure hunting.  I have 49 out of the 50.  I know where the last one is, I just haven't tried to get it yet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I've just got to get from the Wesker / Jill battle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: