http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:00:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Halo 2 for Vista - ALL PC GAMERS READ!!  (Read 2030 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »

I've posted my review for Halo 2 for Vista on the front page, and you as PC gamers have a duty to read it.  Even if you don't care about Halo 2, you have to read about some of the new technology the game is bringing your way.

Questions anyone?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:54 PM »

Yeah.  Why is there no link in your post?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 23, 2007, 06:08:54 PM

Front....Page.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »

Quote from: KD
There is one area where the multiplayer will upset PC gamers - there is no LAN or multiplayer without Live support.  You must be signed into Live to create a multiplayer game, and outside of creating your own server, you can't do anything locally.

puke
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 23, 2007, 07:14:37 PM

Quote from: KD
There is one area where the multiplayer will upset PC gamers - there is no LAN or multiplayer without Live support.  You must be signed into Live to create a multiplayer game, and outside of creating your own server, you can't do anything locally.

puke

My thoughts exactly.  It does set some implications as to what the landscape for PC gaming could become though.  I should hope that it isn't the case, but given all the Halo 2 Lan parties for PC that just dried up with this version, it could happen.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »

I'll visit the thread again after I read it, but I have to say that aside from the SP game, the only time I spent with Halo was a few LAN parties.

Forcing you to be attached to the internet for LAN play = dumb.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 23, 2007, 06:20:23 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 23, 2007, 06:08:54 PM

Front....Page.

Yeah, that means that I have to click to get to the front page, and then click again to get to the review.  Which is twice as many clicks as if you had linked to it.  DAMMIT EVERY CLICK COSTS ME MONEYS!!

Back on topic, is that Live Gold that you have to be signed on to?  The kind that costs money?  Or the kind that is free.  If the former, then it's not a big deal for Xbox owners, who have had the game available to them for years, but is a big deal to PC owners who would be buying this game for the first time.  Oh short-sighted decision making, thy name is Microsoft.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »

Back on topic, is that Live Gold that you have to be signed on to?  The kind that costs money?  Or the kind that is free.  If the former, then it's not a big deal for Xbox owners, who have had the game available to them for years, but is a big deal to PC owners who would be buying this game for the first time.  Oh short-sighted decision making, thy name is Microsoft.

I did see an option to search for "Gold Only" games, so I doubt that it requires a Gold Subscription.  I'll seek clarification and get back to you on that.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:14:16 AM »

I couldn't have less interest in Halo 2/PC.  Heck, I have the console version just gathering dust and haven't even looked at it in ages.

Halo 3.  That's a different story.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:16:25 AM »

Assault in Xbox Halo 2 was planting the bomb wasn't it? Might want to edit your review there. Unless they removed that for the PC version.

Otherwise good stuff.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »

Halo 2 for the PC is DOA, and Live for Windows isn't far behind.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »

The very fact that it's on PC means at some point it will be hacked. Give it time and someone will come up with a crack for removing the Live pain. Unless it's so deeply integrated that cracking it causes the hacker's machine to catch fire, in which case we all will have a hearty laugh.

Either case means we win.

/random thought ftw

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 24, 2007, 07:39:51 AM

Halo 2 for the PC is DOA

Quite possibly.  Most people have already played it to death on the XBox.  But it's really just a vehicle to test out the new system.

and Live for Windows isn't far behind.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  Live is the future with 'future' being the operative word.  More and more games coming out will start to support it and its fantastic, integrated feature set.  But it will be a while before a critical mass has Vista.  But I think all that will take is one AAA release to start the momentum rolling.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 05:04:50 PM »

You can still play multiplayer with the free Live Silver account, you just can't use the group-joining and matchmaking services. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 24, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

You can still play multiplayer with the free Live Silver account, you just can't use the group-joining and matchmaking services. 

My rep suggested as much but wasn't 100% sure - I was waiting on his answer to state the above. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »

That much has been relvealed in press releases before.  Hell, a google search found this one as the first hit.

Silver Membership Features
·        Single gamertag
·        Common gamer profile
·        Common gamerscore
·        Single player achievements
·        Private chat via text and voice
·        Common friends list and online presence
·        PC only multiplayer including browsing a list of active PC games

Gold Membership Features
·        All Silver membership features
·        Multiplayer matchmaking with friends
·        TrueSkill™ matchmaking
·        Multiplayer achievements
·        Cross-platform gameplay

Pretty sad when a random internet guy knows more about a product than it's PR reps. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »

Dude... PR.

That says it all. You expect too much from marketing, methinks. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »

i was holding off on playing it, but after i found out it was 'Vista-only'... i went and bought a second-hand Xbox copy for $8  frown

i honestly don't know if i want to install Vista... or deal with Microsoft-anything if i can possibly help it.  i'm at the point where i'm really leaning towards keeping XP as a secondary installation and going with Ubuntu on the desktop and OSX on the mac laptop.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 05:50:51 AM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on April 24, 2007, 09:00:46 PM

i'm at the point where i'm really leaning towards keeping XP as a secondary installation and going with Ubuntu on the desktop and OSX on the mac laptop.

Ubuntu has already fallen out of fashion, I hear.  It's "lost the new distro smell", and the cool kids moved on to some other distro.  I forget the name, but since it's going to be out of style in six months, it's likely not worth remembering anyway.

Quote from: Jancelot on April 24, 2007, 03:36:44 PM

Halo 2 for the PC is DOA

Quite possibly.  Most people have already played it to death on the XBox.  But it's really just a vehicle to test out the new system.

and Live for Windows isn't far behind.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  Live is the future with 'future' being the operative word.  More and more games coming out will start to support it and its fantastic, integrated feature set.  But it will be a while before a critical mass has Vista.  But I think all that will take is one AAA release to start the momentum rolling.

What he said.

I don't think Halo 2 will be the breakaway title which kick-starts Live for Windows, but it's definitely the wave of the future.  My vote for Live's killer app is Shadowrun.  Even if it isn't, you have to admit that the Live Silver membership is still a thousand times better than any other game matchmaking service out there on the PC.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 05:54:54 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 25, 2007, 05:50:51 AM

I don't think Halo 2 will be the breakaway title which kick-starts Live for Windows, but it's definitely the wave of the future.  My vote for Live's killer app is Shadowrun.  Even if it isn't, you have to admit that the Live Silver membership is still a thousand times better than any other game matchmaking service out there on the PC.

I'm not so sure that Shadowrun is going to be a hit with the PC kids as much as the consolers.  Check out IGN's hands-on preview comparison.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 06:48:08 AM »

Well, got the answer on the Silver vs. Gold stuff, but they are still working on the "Does Halo 2 support LAN play in some way?" question.  My rep believes that it does, but is making sure, so don't take it as gospel yet.

Silver Membership Features
•   Single gamertag
•   Common gamer profile
•   Common gamerscore
•   Single player achievements
•   Private chat via text and voice
•   Common friends list and online presence
•   PC only multiplayer including browsing a list of active PC games

Gold Membership Features
•   All Silver membership features
•   Multiplayer matchmaking with friends
•   TrueSkill™ matchmaking
•   Multiplayer achievements
•   Cross-platform gameplay

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 12:55:31 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 24, 2007, 03:36:44 PM

You need to read up on what diffrent devlopers are saying  about Live! like Epic Games. They are far from enthusiastic about it. The PC mulitplayer world is not the console world and MS needs to realize that.

I do like the 'Games For Windows' initative, but Live! is far from becoming the standard in PC gaming.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:12 AM »

I do like the 'Games For Windows' initative, but Live! is far from becoming the standard in PC gaming.
I do like the matchmaking service - it couldn't be simpler.  That could go a long way to bring the jaded PC gaming community around.  No more GameSpy, All Seeing Eye, PinkStarfishGameNavigationGenie, or whatever program it is this week to try to just get some multiplayer going. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 26, 2007, 12:55:31 AM

The PC mulitplayer world is not the console world and MS needs to realize that.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct.  In general the PC multiplayer world is disjointed and relatively cumbersome.  And as I said "future" is the operative word.  That's why I'm excited about the prospect of Live becoming a standard.  I've taken to playing significantly more MP on my 360 because it's so simple and efficient. 

Quote from: Jumangi on April 26, 2007, 12:55:31 AM

You need to read up on what diffrent devlopers are saying  about Live! like Epic Games. They are far from enthusiastic about it.

Sure, I've read the issues they bring up.  They like to all do it their own way and set their own standards.  PC gaming needs uniformity in this area.  Voice chat, messaging and matchmaking services need to be consolidated into a single application and fully supported within the games themselves ala Live.

I'm certainly not saying that the support is just around the corner.  The Vista install base probably won't hit critical mass for a couple of years.  And obviously publishers aren't going to ignore the massive XP user base.  But a big draw for me is that I've already been using it for over a year now on my 360 and now I can have a joint account on my PC.

It's just so damn slick I'd love to see something like it on the PC ASAP.  Hey, if someone else comes up with an equivalent service to Live with its breadth of features then good for them.  I'd use it in a heartbeat.  I just don't see it happening as they all couldn't coordinate up to this point.  Plus it requires a large amount of resources to run all of the servers.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:01 PM »

Yeah... games I've played MP on the PC over 20 years or so:10-15  Games I've played MP on the 360: pretty much any title that allows it that I own.  A lot of that is the ease of getting games together, and the ease of voice comms.

I also like paying once for the console and then having more money available to spend on games, not upgrading vidcard, mobo, etc.  If I had more money I'd have an up to date gaming PC as well, just for the SP titles I'm interested in. 

Obviously this is just my personal feelings on the matter.  I do still drool over things that I can't play on my aging PC.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: