http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:19:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Chromehounds  (Read 1354 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

I've reviewed Chromehounds.  I'm wondering what you guys think of it.  Agree?  Disagree? Link and graphic on the front page.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:58:35 AM »

Good review - although I wish you would have mentioned if it had any kind of bot support or not.

Your comments on the online portion (especially going against the AI) are fueling my desire for Xbox Live as I know I'm missing out on a lot but I just have a hard time with the 'pay to play' model when you can play for free on PC/PSP2/PSP without any kind of monthly fee.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Good review - although I wish you would have mentioned if it had any kind of bot support or not.

Your comments on the online portion (especially going against the AI) are fueling my desire for Xbox Live as I know I'm missing out on a lot but I just have a hard time with the 'pay to play' model when you can play for free on PC/PSP2/PSP without any kind of monthly fee.

*nods*  I understand your reluctance.  You'll eventually have to jump on the bandwagon though.  Nobody can resist the Forum Effect for long. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »

Great review, Ron.  The only error is with AI Hounds that you destroy.  They Don't disappear  in the online game, but the  non hound AI support does disappear when destroyed. Other than that I say spot on review

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Great review, Ron.  The only error is with AI Hounds that you destroy.  They Don't disappear  in the online game, but the  non hound AI support does disappear when destroyed. Other than that I say spot on review

Ahhh, you have a good point.  I'll revise the review to reflect.  Good catch!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:03:27 AM »

Very good review KD.  The score seems spot on.  The funny thing is I barely noticed the sound in the game because I usually have it turned down pretty low and am chatting away the whole time.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »

The fee isn't as bad if you buy a full year.  In fact, more stores carry a live sub card for 13 months for the same price as a 12 month sub.  It equals slightly less than $4 a month.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »

I used to feel the exact same way about Live back on the X-Box, dude.  But I gave it a shot with the 360 since I finally set up a home network and wanted to give it a shot.  I have to say that with how integrated everything is with Live, it goes far beyond what you can get on the other consoles.  PC, well, it depends.  slywink  With X-Fire, you can get a lot of the functionality of Live on your PC, but Live still manages to be a complete, total package that works incredibly well at integrating everyone together.

I've been in Chromehounds with guys from multiple boards, I've played PGR3 and Burnout with total strangers, the voicechat really helps to make it much more friendly (most of the time...), and heck, even in single player it's great:  I was playing Dynasty Warriors 5 on Sunday, Purge saw me doing that, and popped up a private chat with me to give me advice on the game.  smile  Fyedaddy and I often catch up on Live in the evening while gaming (much easier than trying to do that on the phone!).  It's also great that others can see you playing a game and toss an invite your way for a multiplayer matchup.  biggrin  Sure, it may not always be something you want to do, but you have the option!

Yeah, I'm a convert.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »

Another review glitch - in single player mode, you can replay your missions. Just hit the Free Play option from the main SP 'lobby' and you can replay to your heart's content.

And I think that there are more than one of us now with 70+ hours of gameplay. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:00:39 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"

I used to feel the exact same way about Live back on the X-Box, dude.  But I gave it a shot with the 360 since I finally set up a home network and wanted to give it a shot.  I have to say that with how integrated everything is with Live, it goes far beyond what you can get on the other consoles.  PC, well, it depends.  slywink  With X-Fire, you can get a lot of the functionality of Live on your PC, but Live still manages to be a complete, total package that works incredibly well at integrating everyone together.

I've been in Chromehounds with guys from multiple boards, I've played PGR3 and Burnout with total strangers, the voicechat really helps to make it much more friendly (most of the time...), and heck, even in single player it's great:  I was playing Dynasty Warriors 5 on Sunday, Purge saw me doing that, and popped up a private chat with me to give me advice on the game.  smile  Fyedaddy and I often catch up on Live in the evening while gaming (much easier than trying to do that on the phone!).  It's also great that others can see you playing a game and toss an invite your way for a multiplayer matchup.  biggrin  Sure, it may not always be something you want to do, but you have the option!

Yeah, I'm a convert.  slywink

i second that opinion.  live on the 360, for what you pay (approximately 50 bucks for a year) is well worth it.  it's one purchase in which i can find absolutely nothing to regret.   biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:11 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
The fee isn't as bad if you buy a full year.  In fact, more stores carry a live sub card for 13 months for the same price as a 12 month sub.  It equals slightly less than $4 a month.

Amazon has a 12+1-mo subscription card for $36 - about $2.75/month
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Another review glitch - in single player mode, you can replay your missions. Just hit the Free Play option from the main SP 'lobby' and you can replay to your heart's content.

And I think that there are more than one of us now with 70+ hours of gameplay. biggrin

Does this let you change the outcome of the single player storyline missions, or just allow you to replay the mission? IE Improve overall score from Rank A to Rank S

Also, the single player missions are not completely wasteful because they accomplish a few things:

Teach you the role and how to play different RTs
You get parts that you can carry over to the multi-player side
You get to pull the RT experience over to the RT side

These are not huge factors, but they exist nonetheless.

Other than the other things that were mentioned here, your review is very accurate.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »

Also just noticed, you don't mention in graphics that there is a vertical tearing issue on some maps, where if you turn quickly in your Hound the graphics tear briefly.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"

Does this let you change the outcome of the single player storyline missions, or just allow you to replay the mission? IE Improve overall score from Rank A to Rank S

After you play through ALL of the SP missions, you can replay the missions to improve your rank and get the parts you missed out on. You have to complete every mission before this option becomes available though.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "DamageInc"

After you play through ALL of the SP missions, you can replay the missions to improve your rank and get the parts you missed out on. You have to complete every mission before this option becomes available though.

Not true, you can replay a mission at any time.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Does doing it free play allow you to improve rank and get the bonus part?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:30 PM »

Yep.  I currently only have soldier and one of scout done, but I can replay all those I have done prior.  A few of the soldier missions I had an A and I replayed them to get S and I got new parts.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »

Yep.  I currently only have soldier and one of scout done, but I can replay all those I have done prior.  A few of the soldier missions I had an A and I replayed them to get S and I got new parts.

I can confirm this because I am not very good at the SP missions and always replay them until I get an "S" before moving on to the next.  Just hit "Interrupt Story" and then go to "Free Play" and choose your mission.  Like so much of this game it's not very intuitive.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 04:52:26 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

I can confirm this because I am not very good at the SP missions and always replay them until I get an "S" before moving on to the next.  Just hit "Interrupt Story" and then go to "Free Play" and choose your mission.  Like so much of this game it's not very intuitive.

:shock:    I would never have found this.  Ever.    I'll amend the review.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: