http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [review] Bloodlines..7.7 Gamespot  (Read 1842 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/review.html

They cite poor combat control and useless guns.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:28:21 PM »

Based on the 4 hours I have played-that score is complete bullshit.
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 06:38:10 PM »

I'm surprised by that rating - 7.7 is no great shakes.  From everything I'd heard about the game, I was prepared to grab it this weekend.  Despite the fact that I loved the first game and am into the whole vampire-thing, I think I'll hold off a little while longer and see what other reviews have to say.

Another GoneGold refugee.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 06:41:02 PM »

Did you like morrowind Kurth? Would you like a pseudo-Morrowind style RPG with great graphics, cool vampire abilities, and perhaps average combat (though better than Morrowind)? If so-dont hesitate, pick this up.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »

I grabbed it over lunch, so I might get a chance to play tonight depending on when WoW goes down.

From the sound of it, I think people are expecting FPS combat, where, as someone stated, the combat is more similar to Morrowind.  It's based on the FPS, but all the actions are done with character stats.

Personally I love hybrid games like that... I would go so far as to say that almost every game could be made better with some hard core roleplaying aspects to it, but that might just be me. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:07:25 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/review.html

They cite poor combat control and useless guns.

Reviewer forgot that guns don't kill vampires, except a shotgun to the head.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 08:59:17 PM »

And I finally got myself a shotgun, and it is ungodly powerful against vampires, and anything really.  I average 32 damage a shot against anyone, although I'm sure some of the fighting clans can do more with thier fists and magic.  I think that's another thing the reviewer didn't factor in, the fact that certain clans will need to use different weapons.  A brujah with some melee buffs could probably go the entire game without using a firearm.

I don't bother with any other guns for vampires, but I may pickup a better pistol or rifle than this crappy .38 for distance firefights.  I'm Toraedor, so I can't stay in melee fights, especially if many people are shooting at me.

Of course, I'm looking to get a crossbow, I hear those things are damn door at taking down vamps.  slywink
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 10:45:12 PM »

Like I posted in the other thread, the guy that gave Bloodlines a 7.7 also gave Dominions 2 a 6.2.

In other words, he's a f!cking idiot.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »

Did you like morrowind Kurth? Would you like a pseudo-Morrowind style RPG with great graphics, cool vampire abilities, and perhaps average combat (though better than Morrowind)? If so-dont hesitate, pick this up.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never played Morrowind.  I've always wanted to, and I actually had the Gold edition in my hand this past weekend at EB but passed it up in favor of RoN (another winner I had passed over long ago).  I'm a big fan of most decent RPGs but am only a fan of excellent FPS games, so I'm not scared off by the lack of twitch-type combat.  However, the graphical bugs and the reported lack of detail in the environments makes me worried.  I'll be interested to read more impressions.

Another GoneGold refugee.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 06:36:34 AM »

Quote from: "Kurth"

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never played Morrowind.  I've always wanted to, and I actually had the Gold edition in my hand this past weekend at EB but passed it up in favor of RoN (another winner I had passed over long ago).  I'm a big fan of most decent RPGs but am only a fan of excellent FPS games, so I'm not scared off by the lack of twitch-type combat.  However, the graphical bugs and the reported lack of detail in the environments makes me worried.  I'll be interested to read more impressions.

Bloodlines doesn't remind me of Morrowind.  Vampire is a great game, but it's much more restrictive in what you do and how you explore.  If you haven't played Morrowind, get the Game of the Year edition and you'll be playing for months and months ... The weight of possible things to do in Morrowind can actually be a turnoff, because I know it will suck up all my time.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 07:43:24 AM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"
Bloodlines doesn't remind me of Morrowind.
And that's why I love it.

There's a guy that posts here with the name "IHateMorrowind."

He's got a good point.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »

I made the mistake of coming to this directly after finishing HL2 and am having trouble believing it's the same engine.  I'm trying to judge it on it's own merits though.

I'm finding the beginning of the storyline a little clunky and hard to swallow but am hoping it smooths out soon.

The dialogue is pretty witty so that's a good point smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: