http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:12:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP]Am I the only person excited about Generation of Chaos?  (Read 2542 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:10:20 AM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=659581

I feel so lonely. And cold.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:42:14 AM »

hehe no I posted about this last year, game is going to be fantastic. Can't wait till it comes out next month.

Ascendent
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:07:44 AM »

Doesn't this come out tomorrow?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »

Is this a exlusive PSP title? Or is it a port? I'm kind of interested because I keep hearing people say "TEH PSP SUXZORZ IT HAS NO GAM3S!!!111!!"

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:30:44 AM »

Wow, that game looks great!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:52:08 AM »

If I remember right, Generation of Chaos isn't developed by Nippon Ichi - just published by them.  I think the developer is Idea Factory.  I'm firmly i the wait and see camp.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out how much control you have over your generals' armies.  Are the army battles just a fun and different way to animate the battles between generals?  Or do you actually get to control things like their formation and tactics?
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 02:40:05 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

For PSP that usually translates into epic load times. smile frown
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

For PSP that usually translates into epic load times. smile frown

Oh no you didn't!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 11:36:34 PM »

I sent you guys the soundtrack.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 12:26:17 AM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out how much control you have over your generals' armies. Are the army battles just a fun and different way to animate the battles between generals? Or do you actually get to control things like their formation and tactics?

I'm not sure exactly how much control you have, but Liquid Sky states "... know that ordinary grunt soldiers follow orders during this mode, while the commanders can be directly controlled and can even pull off their own special attacks. The tactics and fighting styles you set up for your combat force is essential in dealing with the opposing forces."

From RPGFan:

"The commander is able to issue orders on the fly, changing formation or striking directly at the opponent's commander. As the troops battle it out, the commander can expend his limited SP into doing special abilities. Damaging the enemy, healing allied troops, and buffing or nerfing the enemy are all possible, and more. Sometimes commanders will have to withstand several battles on a single tile, so you might not want to blow all of your SP on a single battle before your next turn."

Doesn't this come out tomorrow?

Yup.

This part of the preview from Yahoo! games sounds very interesting:

The board game-style strategic layer in Generation of Chaos takes some getting used to, since you have numerous menu options that aren't immediately clear. Terraforming the land, reinforcing your strongholds, shopping for new equipment, maintaining the loyalty of your forces--these are all considerations as you take turns marshaling your troops in an effort to take out enemy generals and claim their land as your own.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 02:30:36 AM »

am i the only one who chose to go with super princess peach this week instead of this? smile ...

interested, but waiting to read some reviews/impressions first...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 02:33:28 AM »

Even though Generation of Chaos is a long running series, with the latest being GoC 5 on PS2, the PSP NA version is probably a port of earlier titles.  

If you haven't played Dragon Force before, just know that GoC is not like other Nipponichi SRPG.  You normally have an overhead map with interconnected route between strongholds and cities, think of Romance of Three Kingdom (RotK) type map.  You can recruit new heroes, assign them equipment, troops, spells, techniques, then send a group of them to take over other stronghold.  There are also other menu based commands like search or build (again think RotK) while you are in castle.  

When two forces met on worldmap, they zoom into battle.  You assign formation and basic commands at the beginning and then watch the battle unfold in real time.  You can interrupt to issue new command at any time, but mostly it's for using Heroes' techniques.  

I personally find these types of SRPG rather dated in terms of gameplay mechanics.  They are fun 10 years ago, but feels dated and repetitive today.  Thus similar titles such as Square-Enix's Hanjuku Eiyuu (Egg Heroes) use humors and gags to spice them up.  I prefer Hanjuku Heroes 4 over any of GoC title due to its hilarity and ability to summon Egg Monster in tactical battle.  The said series is 20 years old and Square-Enix freely admits that its Egg Monster system is what inspires the fancy summons of Final Fantasy or even Pokemon later on.

It's good to see NIS America bringing Idea Factory's (IF) SRPG title to North America.  IF's Spectral Souls series is good and a strong contender to Nipponichi's Disgaea/Phantom Brave/La Pucelle.  They add new twists to the SRPG genre.  Though I am not sure whether NA audience will like the overly serious and occasional pretentious tones of its stories.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 05:02:37 AM »

On Wednesday I picked up Generation of Chaos, hoping that the game would meet my expectations and satisfy my craving for a solid strategy game on the PSP. I'm happy to say that the game is truly quite excellent, although you would never know that in the first hour of gametime.

For those of you with attention deficit disorder, I'll give a brief rating breakdow now. smile

Gameplay: C (during the first hour) B (after learning the necessities)
Graphics: B  
Music: A
Manual: D
Save System: A  
AI: A
Storyline: C

Gameplay: Generation of Chaos is a strategy game that places you in command of a kingdom that is embroiled in war.  Under your command are various generals, all of whom have a set of statistics and specializations that increase in levels as they engage in battles. Besides your initial list of generals, you also have the ability to search for hidden generals, hire mercenary generals, or persuade enemy generals to join your cause either through bribery or after they become your prisoner when losing a battle. Generals have special affinities to various attributes, so it is important to have a diverse stable of leaders. Some fight better at night, some do extra damage in fog, other are resistant to magic, etc.  In addition each general has a set of divers skills to use in battle. They may be offensive (tornado, earthquake), or defensive (cure, shield). Generals also have super attacks. These attacks are "charged" as your troops or leader take damage. When a certain threshold is reached, they can unleash these attacks and do massive damage on the field. An interesting point to these attacks is that you can store several of these attacks and carry them over into harder battles.

The strategic portion of the game involves research, building new forts, clinics and factories, fortifying towns, establishing alliances, searching for hidden generals and items, shopping for weapons, and recruiting soldiers. All of this is completed on a world map that is littered with the various settlements, all of which are conected by a series of roads. These roads are used for all troop movement. Thus it is imperative to set up chokeholds and forts at strategically placed positions to thwart enemy advancement to into your territory.  Forts also become important as a means of recruiting fresh troops when you are far from friendly cities. They also serve as an excellent means of defense if you are forced to retreat from battle, as each fort comes equipped with a sentry garrison.

Actual battles take place in real-time, although you are given the option to pause when issuing orders. At the start of battle the commander can set up various formations and operations which can be adjusted as the tides of battle fluctuate. Unfortunately, at times the sheer number of units on the screen make it difficult to truly move in the manner desired. Bottlenecks can be a rather common occurence. A battle ends when one of the generals is captued, someone successfully retreats, or if they manage to break through the enemy lines. Captured generals may be released, executed or hired (assuming their loyalty is low)

graphics: The graphics in generation of chaos are similar to what you've seen in just about any other Nippon Ichi game. Of course the small size of the PSP screen makes everything look quite vibrant and detailed. Spell effects are nicely animated and character portraits are attractive.

Music: The music is wonderful. A diverse number of symphony pieces keep everything fresh. Music changes based upon the screen you enter.

Manual: Horrible. This is a complex title and the manual is only 30 pages, half of which are useless, tiny pictues.  Only the broad strokes are covered, and my first few hours with the game were somewhat frustrating because certain things were not well explained.

save sytem: You can save anytime, anywhere other than in battles. Since battles only last for about 5 minutes this isn't a problem.

AI: The game has a great deal of complexity, and the AI does an excellent job of pressing its attacks. In one particular battle my fortess was attacked by four separate armies during the same turn. Luckily my strongest general was stationed there. Even with his S ranking by the end of the battle he was the last man standing. His army was completely decimated, and only 10% of his hit points remained. If not for a series of super attacks that he had stored the fortress would have fallen into enemy hands, along with three of my best generals. Reinforcemnts arrived a single turn before the enemy staged another assault.  

Storyline: The storyline is generic. Conquer the world-look for the lost artifact-avenge the death of friend. Nothing new here. After each map a set of cut scenes drive the story forward, but the dialogue is forced and rather bland. Voiceovers range from excellent to atrocious.

Generation of Chaos has exceeded my expectations as a strategy game.  It is by no means perfect, but it does just about everything reasonably well. There are multiple layers of complexity that I did not even touch upon in this review, so be warned that the game will take some dedication upon the part of the player. My only true complaint with the game at this point is that the story is such an afterthought and the generals could have been given more personality.  Despite these deficiencies I urge any strategy fan to seriously consider this title.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 05:43:42 AM »

Thanks Dante - I hope to cack it open soon!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 01:51:45 PM »

Great write-up!

Could you comment on the loading times?  Maybe time it from the moment you launch the game until your saved game is loaded and you can start playing?

Loading times have me pretty shy about PSP games right now.

Also what firmware does it require?
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »

Loading times take about 10-15 seconds when entering a battle. When switching between various screens there is sometimes a 2-3 second delay as the menu loads.  There can also be a very brief delay when scrolling through a list of items or names.

Saving takes about 15 seconds. I'm still early in the game, but I definitely have NOT seen any long, minute long delays.

You do have to sit through an early, boring intro movie that lasts about 5 minutes. Then you are dropped into the game- without a tutor. (well,  I haven't seen one)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 12:43:03 AM »

Opened it up, sat through the crap, got into the game, I need a guide.... biggrin

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 06:08:49 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Opened it up, sat through the crap, got into the game, I need a guide.... biggrin

Tell me about it. Was it just me or does the game tease you about a tutorial but one does not happen??
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »

Yep - It says that they will refresh you on combat and then.....crickets....tumbleweed....You are suddenly playing a game you may or may not have any clue as to how it works.

It might be good, I just have to figure out what the hell is going on!!

biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Is this a exlusive PSP title? Or is it a port? I'm kind of interested because I keep hearing people say "TEH PSP SUXZORZ IT HAS NO GAM3S!!!111!!"

If it's a sequel then there are some who will claim it's just a port.   :twisted:

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »

It's a port-quel!  biggrin

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 12:31:42 AM »

The game continues to impress me, but they really dropped the ball on a tutorial or a proper manual. Examples:

-If you give a weapon, healing herb, or armor to a general as a gift (ala Romance of the Three kingdoms) he cannot equip it or use it, even though he accepts it and his loyalty increases. To equip treasure or items, a general must equip it through the stat screen while in a city.

-The key to stopping enemy generals from unleashing their super moves on your troops is to increase your armys speed. Attacks momentarily stun any general, and if enough blows hit consistently and swiftly, the enemy cannot properly use special moves.

-Creating airports is vital to quick troop movement, as is the transformation of land.

-Stats, gifts and city improvements carry over from one scenario to the next. Thus it is vital to level up your generals and kingdom.

This game will die on the vine due to a substandard tutorial.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »

THANKS!!!

Keep 'em coming Dante!! You are the only hope I have of getting deep into this game!!

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 05:03:28 AM »

Ditto on the thanks Dante. It looks like a free pdf guide will be available from NIS America's site in a couple of weeks. It was written by the fine folks from Double Jump Books. It is supposedly 80 freakin pages as well :shock:
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 05:39:36 AM »

DS release?  DS...release?

In my dreams frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 06:38:35 AM »

I haven't followed this game so as to not end up with a stupid PSP as well as a stupid DS and a stupid PS2.
But it looks great.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 01:44:43 AM »

Ditto on the thanks Dante. It looks like a free pdf guide will be available from NIS America's site in a couple of weeks. It was written by the fine folks from Double Jump Books. It is supposedly 80 freakin pages as well

That would be great. I love Double Jump.

Some other points:

-Caves can be searched only when a general is on the hex. Use the "search" function and one of two things will happen. Either an event will take place and you will receive a random (sometimes rare) item, or a battle will take place. Save before searching because the items generate randomly and some are VERY cool.

-Captured generals drain your money for the expense of feeding/clothing/guarding them. Only keep generals that you plan on converting or you will quickly start to run a deficit.

-When trying to convert a general it is important to hold conversations with them. Frequency of conversations coupled with duartion of imprisonment appears to be very important. Don't be discourage by those low conversion possibility estimates.

-There are different types of super moves that can actually stop enemy generals from performing their own moves.  If you don't have these moves you can buy them.

-Airports, airports, airports!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 08:03:50 PM »

The guide is available now - here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »

Hmmm Dante, your write-ups have picqued my interest.  So thanks for that.  smile  My PSP has needed some game love and maybe this might do the trick.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »

Nth Power,

Take a look at the strategy guide. It should definitely help you make an informed decision.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »

Thanks Dante/Eddie - I still wish they printed the friggin thing. I'd gladly fork over the $15-$20!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: