http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Wipeout vs Ridge Racer  (Read 1060 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »

The title says it all.... Ridge Racer was out of stock so I picked up Wipeout, but I'm having second thoughts before cracking it open.  I'm normally not into the sci-fi racing types of games, but Wipeout has gotten really good reviews.  

For those of you who have one or both - do you prefer one over the other?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »

After a bunch of time with RR and a little time with Wipeout, I like RR better.

The intentionally floaty controls for Wipeout are tough for me to get a handle on.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 09:32:03 PM »

I have Ridge Racer only.  I like it, but now that I've gotten to the Pro tour of the game, it's starting to feel just a tad repetitive.  It's also getting hard too.

I have no doubt that Ridge Racers would be a blast in multiplayer.  Haven't found anybody else to play with yet though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:48:35 PM »

Ridge Racer is instantly more accessible but I have a feeling Wipeout will have more long term play value.

Wipeout is probably the more impressive game visually but that comes at the cost of 30 fps framerate with some occasional slowdown.  RR is nothing but 60 fps silky smooth goodness.

Wipeout is also harder to control at first.  Expect to spend some time smacking into walls.

Wipeout seems to be deeper in the long run though.  While I'm admittedly early in RR, so far every car I unlock only varies by type of drift (mild, standard, dynamic).  They also vary by Class, but the races are class-specific so the decision on which car to use pretty much amounts to "which kind of drift handling do I prefer" and off you go.

In Wipeout, the craft vary by more parameters including top speed, handling, thrust, etc.  

Wipeout also features a weapon system that adds a bit of spice to the gameplay.

Ridge Racer does have the better soundtrack though.  Some of those tunes are incredibly catchy.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:59:40 PM »

I'd give the nod to Wipeout, but that's just me.  They're both fantastic launch games.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 01:43:18 AM »

After browsing the thread, I went ahead and opened up Wipeout.  It took me a while to get used to the floatiness, but now that I have a few races under my belt I'm enjoying it.  My only gripe is the lack of any sort of career mode - all there seems to be are single races or 4 track tournies... other than that, the graphics/sound/complete package are very impressive indeed.  I can't wait to try it out multiplayer!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
After a bunch of time with RR and a little time with Wipeout, I like RR better.

The intentionally floaty controls for Wipeout are tough for me to get a handle on.

one of the things I loved about the first wipeout was the floaty controls. It took a while to get used to them but when you did it was one of my favorite games. I cant wait to get a PSP and try wipeout.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 08:45:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
After browsing the thread, I went ahead and opened up Wipeout.  It took me a while to get used to the floatiness, but now that I have a few races under my belt I'm enjoying it.  My only gripe is the lack of any sort of career mode - all there seems to be are single races or 4 track tournies... other than that, the graphics/sound/complete package are very impressive indeed.  I can't wait to try it out multiplayer!

Don't forget the zone mode.  That's quite fun in itself.  Sure, it's a "how many times in a row can I race around the same lap before having all of my energy depleted", but it's fun to start off real slow and easy . . . and by the end just FLY around the track.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:48:59 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "Dimmona"

Don't forget the zone mode.  That's quite fun in itself.  Sure, it's a "how many times in a row can I race around the same lap before having all of my energy depleted", but it's fun to start off real slow and easy . . . and by the end just FLY around the track.

For some reason people aren`t seeing that there are 8 races tournaments also. Good fun.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 09:59:29 PM »

I've unlocked the 8 player tourneys and such, but I just can't seem to get into Wipeout.

Any of you CGers who have Ridge Racer want to trade it for Wipeout?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: