http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 12:19:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Tony Hawk  (Read 1405 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:41:49 AM »

It's sitting, unopened on my shelf. There was lots of talk and good reviews but I haven't heard much in here, which is all that matters!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:31:24 AM »

For myself (and I figure others, too), I'm not picking it up because I played it on the console.  4 extra levels just aren't enough to warrant $50.  Maybe when it comes down to $20.

On a side rant, does it bother anyone else that some of these PSP games are selling for $50?  Maybe I'm still a victim of thinking a handheld is lesser than a console, but many of these ports are stripped down.  I guess the next gen games are going up in price, too, but I find these prices too high.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 05:03:33 AM »

I love it - it's probably the meatiest of the launch games in terms of stuff to do, replay value, etc.

This is in large part due to the fact that it's almost a straight port of the PS2 version.  The in-level cutscenes don't have any voices, but there are 4 additional levels neatly tied into the main story (which more than makes up for it).  The graphics are great, the music is awesome as always (the entire soundtrack of the PS2 version is present - Metallica, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, etc.), and the control is spot on.  

The game's greatest strength is also its biggest drawback - it's an exact port of the PS2 version, so if you've played it to death there isn't enough new content here to enjoy.  That said, I am absolutely loving it....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »

My biggest problem with it is they had to downsample all the music to fit it on a UMD. This makes the music pop and crackle... which is really annoying.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:39:03 AM »

"On a side rant, does it bother anyone else that some of these PSP games are selling for $50?"
I was shocked when I saw that PSP games were going to sell for $50.  It seems ridiculous to me, especially since many of the launch titles are simply ports of existing games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 02:58:46 AM »

Comparable DS games are $40 so I guess that's just the way it is for now.

I'll follow that up with the fact that the PSP will be taking more money away from my PS2 budget than my DS one.

I'l pay $50 for a game, but only once!  biggrin

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 04:54:40 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Actually, that's incorrect.  DS games go for $30 pretty much everwhere (although I wouldn't put it past Gamestop to charge more).

Example

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 02:22:33 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Quote from: "Devil"

Actually, that's incorrect.  DS games go for $30 pretty much everwhere (although I wouldn't put it past Gamestop to charge more).

Example

Depends on the game.  DS games range from $30 to $40 and PSP games range from $40 to $50.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 03:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

I was shocked when I saw that PSP games were going to sell for $50.  It seems ridiculous to me, especially since many of the launch titles are simply ports of existing games.

Not true. Out of the 20+ launch titles the only ones that are ports are THUG2 and Ape Escape.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 06:02:55 PM »

Actually, that's incorrect. DS games go for $30 pretty much everwhere (although I wouldn't put it past Gamestop to charge more).

Actually, THAT'S incorrect. Look at the price listings on EB.

There is about a $10 difference in games across the board.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:20:57 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Quote from: "EddieA"

Not true. Out of the 20+ launch titles the only ones that are ports are THUG2 and Ape Escape.

Tiger Woods Golf, NFL Street 2, Need for Speed Underground, Gretzky NHL, Dynasty Warriors . . .

Sure, maybe they added a couple different things with those games, but they are justifiably ports to me.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 07:45:51 PM »

Ports is the wrong word, but most of the launch titles are at least heavily based on existing games, rather than full-blown original creations like Lumines and Untold Legends.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 05:28:53 AM »

Hmm. Might need to get this too.

Nobody seems to talk about untold legends here, is it not good? The reviews seemed posative about it. I have it but would be willing to return it... any good impressions from anyone?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 05:41:25 AM »

I'm enjoying Untold Legends, but it's very BTDT.  And the controls for blocking and camera movement are horrible.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: