http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 08:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Tales of Eternia  (Read 2941 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:45 AM »

Has anyone heard any info about this?

There was a European import at my local Fry's today.  A bit pricey at $55, but I'd like a good RPG for the PSP.  I may bite the bullet and buy it, if it's good.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »

Didn't this already come out on the PS1?

*checks*

Yup. Coupled this with the usually slow loading times of the PSP (but keep in mind I have nothing to base this upon for this game), means that I wouldn't take the chance until you find a few detailed reviews. GameRankings doesn't have much as of this point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:31:53 AM »

There are impressions out there with a little searching.  I think the general consensus is that it's a great buy for anyone who already likes the gameplay of the Tales series.  IIRC, it still hasn't been announced for the US, and I'm planning on importing it when I get the time to play it (I no longer live near a Fry's alas).
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:55:34 AM »

I did some more internet hunting and found some good reviews that make it sound really appealing.  

Famitsu : 8/9/8/8

Review 1

Review 2

It looks like load times have been reduced to almost nothing and a there's a fun solid 30+ hour Tales game here.  I didn't play it on the PS1, but I did enjoy Symphonia.
Tempting.  Very tempting...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Coupled this with the usually slow loading times of the PSP

PSP games are getting much better about this.  Daxter barely loads at all, for instance.  I think that just like with the PS2, developers are coming up with ways to decrease these times.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »

Scarily enough, my Frys has a fair bit of Import PSP games in stock.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember some of the titles...oh...Bleach PSP was there, and Super Robot Wars MX (which I almost picked up, but the language barrier would hinder my enjoyment of a good strategy game).  They're retailing for 55 bucks, which isn't bad.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:08:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Scarily enough, my Frys has a fair bit of Import PSP games in stock.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember some of the titles...oh...Bleach PSP was there, and Super Robot Wars MX (which I almost picked up, but the language barrier would hinder my enjoyment of a good strategy game).  They're retailing for 55 bucks, which isn't bad.

I picked up Space Rangers 2 (European PC import) there at my local Frys. I find it amazing (and really cool) that this chain does this.

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

Coupled this with the usually slow loading times of the PSP

PSP games are getting much better about this.  Daxter barely loads at all, for instance.  I think that just like with the PS2, developers are coming up with ways to decrease these times.

There are some games that load great (from what I've read), and then there are some like that Wrestlemania video that was posted a few weeks back that shows a 5 minute load sequence. But yeah, things are getting better.

And after reading one of the reviews linked above:
Finally, the best new feature (well maybe not a 'feature') in the PSP port of ToE, is that the game now features zero loading (something the original PS version can't boast). After a row of PSP rpgs filled with so much loading it can drive a person crazy, having an rpg where jumping into a battle is instantly fun rather than 3-5 seconds of staring at a black screen is very satisfying and just makes the whole game experience flow all the better.

Either way, I doubt I'll get this one. I still have the PS2 Tales game to play  (which is really great IMHO), and Oblivion. However, it was a great game back in its day on the PS1.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »

While I haven't seen an Import Tales of Eternia for the PSP, I can't wait for a localized version.  I've been led to believe that the GBA version has a lot cut out due to cartridge size and animation limits, but a port to the PSP should have little to no changes from the PS1 version.  The art for the game is good..so I'm looking forward to this.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
While I haven't seen an Import Tales of Eternia for the PSP, I can't wait for a localized version.  I've been led to believe that the GBA version has a lot cut out due to cartridge size and animation limits, but a port to the PSP should have little to no changes from the PS1 version.  The art for the game is good..so I'm looking forward to this.

Having played the SNES version (that, um, I 'found' translated somewhere) quite a bit, the GBA version is actually a really good port. The battles are a bit slower than the SNES counterpart, but other than that, it's quite close to the SNES version. It even has all the voice and everything.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 09:48:08 PM »

I thought the SNES version that was recently released for GBA was Tales of Phantasia not Tales of Eternia?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 02:26:44 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I thought the SNES version that was recently released for GBA was Tales of Phantasia not Tales of Eternia?

Yup.  Tales of Phantasia was the first Tales game and released for the Super Famicom.  There was also a PS1 remake of Phantasia.  Both titles didn't originally make it to the US and evidently the GBA release is actually a port of the PS1 version vice the Super Famicom one.

Tales of Eternia, on the other hand, is  a wholly separate Tales game that was made from the ground up for the PS1 (and was released here) and ris the subject of this thread .
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:04:37 AM »

The US GBA version of ToP is a combination of the original SNES version, the PSOne version, and some original stuff.  Tales of Eternia was released in the US on PSOne as Tales of Destiny 2, which is also the Japanese name of a PS2 game in the series.  It makes the FF numbering seem sensible by comparison slywink  As for ToE, I believe Namco has said that they have no plans to bring it to the US, although Sony could probably publish if they wanted to, just as Nintendo published ToP for the GBA.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:22:04 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
As for ToE, I believe Namco has said that they have no plans to bring it to the US, although Sony could probably publish if they wanted to, just as Nintendo published ToP for the GBA.

With the PSP still a barren wasteland for RPGs I think the decision to not release it here is baffling.  There is almost always an RPG fanbase just waiting for some signficant titles to show up to pull the trigger.  Consequently, lesser series can really benefit from being the almost the only game in town early in a console/portables' life.  That's why I think SE should prioritize releasing the Dragon Quest V remake not for the PS2 but for the PSP.

Right now, the PSP is a hard sell to RPG fans.  But if the lineup included ToE, DQVr, Suikoden I&2, Valkyrie Profile, (the latter titles still uncomfirmed for US release  IIRC) plus the already existing Legend of Heroes and Kingdom of Paradise?  Hundreds of hours of quality portable RPG gaming right there.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 06:29:12 AM »

I don't get it either.  Konami also made a point of announcing that they had no plans to bring Suikoden 1 and 2 to the US either, but they do plan to release it in Europe, IIRC.  When all you have to do is basically package an existing game and sell it, I can't see their reasoning.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:26 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yup.  Tales of Phantasia was the first Tales game and released for the Super Famicom.  There was also a PS1 remake of Phantasia.  Both titles didn't originally make it to the US and evidently the GBA release is actually a port of the PS1 version vice the Super Famicom one.

Tales of Eternia, on the other hand, is  a wholly separate Tales game that was made from the ground up for the PS1 (and was released here) and ris the subject of this thread .

Note to self - don't post things like what I did while at work. The brain apparently wasn't working when I thought that this was the same game that was recently released GBA. Oy.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 12:33:20 PM »

Note to self - don't post things like what I did while at work. The brain apparently wasn't working when I thought that this was the same game that was recently released GBA. Oy.

*goes and writes himself the same note*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »

I don't get it either.  Konami also made a point of announcing that they had no plans to bring Suikoden 1 and 2 to the US either, but they do plan to release it in Europe, IIRC.  When all you have to do is basically package an existing game and sell it, I can't see their reasoning.

I've read that it's less a publisher's decision and more SCEA won't approve straight PS1 ports.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 07:03:12 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

I've read that it's less a publisher's decision and more SCEA won't approve straight PS1 ports.

I wonder why Sony takes that stance when they put out PS2 ports?  How puzzling.

Anyways, I decided to pick it up and I'm finding it superior to the previous RPG I played on the PSP, Legend of Heroes.  If no one had told me, I'd be hard pressed to tell this was a PS1 port.  The smaller PSP screen makes the graphics look pretty darn good and menus are laid out nicely and easy to navigate.  Thumbs up so far!  smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 02:40:43 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I wonder why Sony takes that stance when they put out PS2 ports? How puzzling.

Has Sony itself actually put out any PS2 ports?  The Sony PSP franchises I can think of off the top of my head (Daxter, SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Wipeout, Untold Legends, Death Jr, Medevil) are all new games but maybe I'm forgetting something.  It's in Sony's best interest to put out unique content for the PSP and I think they've stepped up to the plate and delivered some of the  best games on the platform in the process.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 04:25:38 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I wonder why Sony takes that stance when they put out PS2 ports? How puzzling.

Has Sony itself actually put out any PS2 ports?  The Sony PSP franchises I can think of off the top of my head (Daxter, SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Wipeout, Untold Legends, Death Jr, Medevil) are all new games but maybe I'm forgetting something.  It's in Sony's best interest to put out unique content for the PSP and I think they've stepped up to the plate and delivered some of the  best games on the platform in the process.

MLB '06: The Show is a Sony port, but I was thinking for all games, not necessarily first party.  Whups, sorry for not clarifying.   smile I agree with putting original content over ports being a better route to take, but just find it odd in ToE's case that SCEA chooses mediocre RPGs (LoH, Popolocrois) over releasing this in the States.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »

Eurogamer has their review up:
Tales of Eternia's visuals are also exemplary, having been beautified even further in the shrink from 2000's CRT to 2006's LCD. The framerate in the 3D map is vastly improved over the PSOne original. Indeed, the game tightens up much of its older twin's scruffiness: almost all trace of loading times is eliminated and, in doing so, Namco vindicate the PSP and cast an iron challenge to lazier rival developers.

Sadly though, the story that fills the framework swings between light-hearted charm and dreary, clichéd banality. The central characters are brightly characterised but the story segments often feel rushed (notably the ending) and this key element of the game never quite settles. As a result, when, almost inevitably, the gameplay framework grows to be laborious, battles becoming too frequent and too inconsequential, there's little to push you to the finish line save the distance you've already come.

That said, this is by far and away the best RPG for the PSP currently on the market and, if you never make the denouement and staff roll, you'll likely have had enough fun climbing all over its most solid of frames that in the end, the Tales don't really matter that much after all.

8/10

Full review here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63700
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 10:46:31 PM »

just updating to say, after an extended stay with mh:f & a few chapters of vp:l, i came back to this about a week ago & am very glad i did. i realize this's heresy, but eternia's definitely my choice for best psp rpg right now - a great game & a great port. very good story, graphics, music, battle system & voicework(!), nice doses of humor, & lots of goodies/minigames - plus, it's surprisingly huge!...

really a shame this wasn't released in the u.s. lots of fun & just about perfectly done...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 11:22:30 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
just updating to say, after an extended stay with mh:f & a few chapters of vp:l, i came back to this about a week ago & am very glad i did. i realize this's heresy, but eternia's definitely my choice for best psp rpg right now - a great game & a great port. very good story, graphics, music, battle system & voicework(!), nice doses of humor, & lots of goodies/minigames - plus, it's surprisingly huge!...

really a shame this wasn't released in the u.s. lots of fun & just about perfectly done...

I won't hold that "best RPG on the PSP" comment against ya   biggrin

I'll agree with everything else - it really is a fantastic RPG port.  I've been on and off with it, but whenever I do pick it up and play I always have a good time.  Love practically no load times, nicely transitioned graphics, 'Tales' gameplay - good stuff on the PSP!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 11:23:47 PM »

"really a shame this wasn't released in the u.s. lots of fun & just about perfectly done..."
I'm not sure how hard it is to find, but there's always the original PSOne version, under the name Tales of Destiny 2.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 12:15:52 AM »

"really a shame this wasn't released in the u.s. lots of fun & just about perfectly done..."
I'm not sure how hard it is to find, but there's always the original PSOne version, under the name Tales of Destiny 2.

But it's not truly portable, is it. biggrin

And yeah, while this game isn't much more than a glorified port, it still is surprising that this game didn't make it truly stateside. It would be perfect for a portable release.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:09:26 AM »

But it's not truly portable, is it. biggrin

And yeah, while this game isn't much more than a glorified port, it still is surprising that this game didn't make it truly stateside. It would be perfect for a portable release.

Maybe it didn't meet Sony of America's "must have long load times" requirement.   :wink:

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 01:29:47 AM »

Am I missing something?  I thought this game was coming stateside in the fall.  Gamespot has it listed coming Oct 2.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 01:35:40 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Am I missing something?  I thought this game was coming stateside in the fall.  Gamespot has it listed coming Oct 2.

Damnit.  I just ordered the European version because I could have sworn I had never heard anything about it coming to the U.S.  It sure does say Oct. 2nd on Gamespot's site.  Ah, well.  I will have it soon and it was only 31.99 w/ free shipping.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »

Quote from: "The Grue"
Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

Damnit.  I just ordered the European version because I could have sworn I had never heard anything about it coming to the U.S.  It sure does say Oct. 2nd on Gamespot's site.  Ah, well.  I will have it soon and it was only 31.99 w/ free shipping.

Yeah, I never knew it was coming stateside either.

Well, look on the bright side - you'll have the game before everybody else in the US. biggrin

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »

Namco hasn't announced anything about a US release, so I wouldn't trust that Gamespot date.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »

Well, the place I ordered it from in England just sent me an email saying they are having trouble getting it from their suppliers, so I will be delayed.  Didn't stop them from chargin my card, though, which I am not so happy about.  Kevin Grey, did the same thing happen to you (I got the site from you)?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 05:08:38 PM »

Well, the place I ordered it from in England just sent me an email saying they are having trouble getting it from their suppliers, so I will be delayed.  Didn't stop them from chargin my card, though, which I am not so happy about.  Kevin Grey, did the same thing happen to you (I got the site from you)?

Hmm, no messages from them so far.  Though considering that it's such a good deal the supply issues aren't surprising.  Hopefully they'll get more product in and will honor the original orders.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »

FWIW, I just got an email saying that my copy of the game has been sent.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 05:36:03 PM »

Well, crap.  How long ago did you order it?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »

Ordered it Monday morning, probably within an hour of my post about here.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »

Ordered it Monday morning, probably within an hour of my post about here.

Well, screw.  That means I ordered it not long after you did.  Guess you got the last copy?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 04:46:55 AM »

Just got my email saying it shipped.  smile  Now, I need to finish up VP in the next week (while somehow feeding my addiction that I can tell will be Dead Rising), so I can play it when it gets here in a week.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »

Glad to hear!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2006, 07:27:54 PM »

Where are you guys ordering this from?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 18, 2006, 07:27:54 PM

Where are you guys ordering this from?

CD-Wow!

http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results_3.php?product_code=264594

though the link doesn't seem to work for me now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: