http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Pirates win again  (Read 5941 times)
unbreakable
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »

Damn, I have a ton of PS1 games I still haven't played.  I would fricken LOVE to have them portable.  No way I'm spending more money on it, though: my game expenses are simply disgusting.

Anyone want to trade a hardly used slim PS2 for a PSP?  icon_biggrin
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »

Pretty neat stuff.  Too bad Sony hasn't released it, yet.  I think a lot of people would pay for the older games if they could dl them and play them on the PSP. Even at $15 a pop that's a lot of games before you get to $599 you'd have to lay out for the PS3.

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »

Quote from: EvilHomer3k on January 03, 2007, 10:53:51 PM

Pretty neat stuff.  Too bad Sony hasn't released it, yet.  I think a lot of people would pay for the older games if they could dl them and play them on the PSP. Even at $15 a pop that's a lot of games before you get to $599 you'd have to lay out for the PS3.

Well, it's sorta out. You just need a PS3 to repurchase the PS1 games to play on your PSP (even if you already own them). And there's a total of like 8 games available for download. Please correct me if I'm wrong though about the number of titles available, as I don't own a PS3 to check.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 02:58:35 AM »

Has anybody tried Gran Turismo 2 on the PSP? That is one of the few games that would get me to try a downgrade.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on January 04, 2007, 02:58:35 AM

Has anybody tried Gran Turismo 2 on the PSP? That is one of the few games that would get me to try a downgrade.

The big issue (methinks) is that games just don't see the analog stick of the PSP (at least Chrono Cross didn't no matter my control setting of the PS1 emulator), and playing a racing title with only the d-pad would just...suck as far as control goes.

And I just tossed in two more titles for old times sake - Dino Crisis 2 and Legend of Mana. The first played perfectly, while the second had some occasional FMV overlay issues (when placing new lands for example). The game played just fine, but FMV video put on top of the polygon lands just wouldn't appear half the time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »

On a side note, if you "brick" your PSP during a firmware update, what does that mean exactly?  Is it literally dead? Like throw-it-away I just burned $200 dead? (I assume your warranty doesn't cover that. smile )
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 04, 2007, 02:18:17 PM

On a side note, if you "brick" your PSP during a firmware update, what does that mean exactly?  Is it literally dead? Like throw-it-away I just burned $200 dead? (I assume your warranty doesn't cover that. smile )
'Brick' is any state where the PSP will not boot up anymore . . . mine played the first 2 notes of the "startup" sound and froze.
As long as it is still under warranty they should take care of it . . . mine was not . . . and as much as I argued that the firmware updates are not optional . . . they only offered me a $90 refurbished PSP.  They stated it was coincidence that my PSP would not boot after updating to 3.0. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:35:56 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
warning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

I just did this last night and was playing Spyro the Dragon!  Very cool stuff.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »

If I have 2.81 can I upgrade to 3.02 safely if I don't care about 1.50?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »

If you're talking about the custom 3.02, no you cannot. You can only get to custom 3.02 from the 1.5 level, and 2.81 isn't downgradeable to 1.5 yet.

If you're interested in running homebrew stuff, don't upgrade any higher. Chances are a 2.81 downgrader will be out in a while, so just sit tight and hope for the best.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on January 04, 2007, 03:48:05 PM

If you're talking about the custom 3.02, no you cannot. You can only get to custom 3.02 from the 1.5 level, and 2.81 isn't downgradeable to 1.5 yet.

If you're interested in running homebrew stuff, don't upgrade any higher. Chances are a 2.81 downgrader will be out in a while, so just sit tight and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not really interested in homebrew other than the PS1 emulator. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 05:15:27 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 04, 2007, 02:55:45 PM

I just did this last night and was playing Spyro the Dragon!  Very cool stuff.

Another game to add to my list of titles I should go back and play again thanks to my hackzored PSP. Some games look surprisingly good on the tiny screen.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »

So the pirate groups just whipped up another version of their software, this time matching the current version of the PSP BIOS that's out. Not only can you now compress your ripped games (don't have any actual numbers here, but the option is there), but the emulator has apparently been updated, fixing a few minor issues that some games have.

If I've sent you instructions, you'll just need to visit the main PSP page of the main link I sent you for instructions to update. The news article won't be there for long (they tend to get a lot of news on a daily basis), but just poke around for "3.03 OE-A Released". Also look for this news article: "Smiths' Popstation Frontend v1.2.3 - Forced Update", as it's an update to the program I sent you for converting your ISO files to the PSP.

And if you don't have a PSP that can be upgraded to this version, and have a 3.03 PSP already (and a PS3), you can now purchase Jumping Flash from Sony's store.

EDIT: Some people are reporting issues with the PS1 emulator functions with this update, so you may want to hold out for now if you're not having any problems. Your choice. Remember - you always can downgrade back to 1.5 and from there go back to 3.02OE-B if you have issues.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:06:19 PM by Destructor » Logged

EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »

Diablo works fine.  Load times are fairly long (as they were for the game in general) and saves take a while, too.  The biggest problem with it is the 4 way joystick.  This game really should use the pad for movement.  It does use the pad but only for the map, spells, etc.  Too bad, too.  I'm hoping to find Resident Evil at Video Games, Etc. tonight after work. 

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 03:56:14 PM »

Hit home an then select the control options while in a PSX game. You can select any type of control scheme you want, which allows the analog nub to work as the d-pad.
unbreakable
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

I was searching around to see if anyone made DosBox for the DS.  I didn't see it (or see it mentioned as being in the works), but I did see that there is a PSP version of DosBox.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on January 05, 2007, 03:56:14 PM

The biggest problem with it is the 4 way joystick.

Agreed. The standard d-pad is an absolute joke. Fortunately I have some sort of stick-on thing for my d-pad (sorta like what came out with the Street Fighter Alpha release on the PSP) that works great. Diagonals are still a pain at times, but I can Hadoken all day with little problem.

EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2007, 09:13:31 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on January 05, 2007, 03:56:14 PM

Hit home an then select the control options while in a PSX game. You can select any type of control scheme you want, which allows the analog nub to work as the d-pad.

Still only 4 way but works significantly better.  Thanks.

Anyone tried Resident Evil 3?  I can't get it to work.  I haven't upgraded to 3.03, yet, though.  I'll try that in the next day or two, though.  I suppose it doesn't matter too much until I get a new memory stick.  Mine is only 2 gig so I'll need to add a 4 gig one.  Too bad sony doesn't use an SD card; 8 gigs for $100  drool

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:09 PM »

I think RE2 and RE3 have had reported issues running under POPS. Only a handful of games have problems, but these are two of them (note: Parasite Eve 2 is broken too  icon_frown)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:58 AM »

Hah I love this stuff.

The newest custom firmware 3.03 OE-B lets you encode AVC video to play at the PSP's full resolution (480x272).  No more scaling the video to full-screen.  Also no more need for PMP Mod to do this.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »

It's ridiculous to me that this kind of functionality needs to be hacked in.

I understand why Sony locked some of this stuff down, but.. bad decisions mostly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 11, 2007, 06:35:11 PM

It's ridiculous to me that this kind of functionality needs to be hacked in.

I understand why Sony locked some of this stuff down, but.. bad decisions mostly.

Yup. The pirates get all the fun little features of the PSP (faster loading times, full screen movies, near-full PS1 backwards compatibility, additional features that Sony never intended, etc) while the true 'users' of the device get a plain-jane console.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 02:31:30 AM »

A 3.03 downgrader is out.  It's the first time I tried to downgrade and it worked fine (2.81->3.03->1.5).

So now that I have a 1.5 again what do I do with it? icon_lol

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 04:42:11 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on January 29, 2007, 02:31:30 AM

A 3.03 downgrader is out.  It's the first time I tried to downgrade and it worked fine (2.81->3.03->1.5).

Is it the one that requires an early copies of Liberty City Stories or has a standalone downgrader been released? 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 08:00:26 AM »

I had to use my copy of Liberty City Stories for this downgrader.

Portable Crusader: No Remorse here I come!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 01:32:54 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on January 29, 2007, 02:31:30 AM

Upgrade back to 3.03 (but the hacker version of it) and go nuts with all the features us hackers have been enjoying for a while now. biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 01:51:14 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 29, 2007, 08:00:26 AM

I had to use my copy of Liberty City Stories for this downgrader.

Portable Crusader: No Remorse here I come!

Guess I'm stuck waiting then. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »

I downgraded mine last night from my hotel room in Curacao after downloading all the necessary stuff via a very shaky wifi connection.  I am running the custom 3.03 firmware now, though, and need to go find out what all the cool homebrew apps are.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »

What I use a lot are these two:

PMP Mod (link) which lets you encode videos to use the PSP's full resolution instead of scaling them up.  The newest custom firmware will allow you to do this as well but PMP Mod uses less battery and has a better bookmarking system.  You can use the freeware XviD4PSP (link) to encode movies in the PMP format.

The other one I use a lot is Bookr (link) which is an ebook reader for the PSP.  It's screen makes it just about perfect for reading ebooks and Bookr has a great, simple interface and works well.

There's other stuff out there, especially if you like emulators.  Besides the PS1 emulator (which is great) I've tried RIN (a Gameboy Color emulator), DGen (Sega Genesis) and ScummVM (old LucasArts adventure games like Monkey Island or Sam & Max).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »

Every time this cool shit comes out, I spend hours and hours trying to get it to work.

For whatever reason I'm not getting a key file written along with my .bin.  But it really is okay.  After 2 days and 5 hours of sheer frustration, I'm really content with merely playing Playstation games on my PS2.  *sigh*

I just wish I had those 5 hours back to do something productive.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »

I'm still trying to find a copy of LCS at Blockbuster to rent to attempt the downgrade . . . tried 3 in town yesterday each store has one copy and they were checked out?  And VCS was available?  Hmmmmm . . . could Sony have acted that fast to get the copies at Blockbuster recalled? Trying again on my luch today . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on January 30, 2007, 12:38:25 PM

I'm still trying to find a copy of LCS at Blockbuster to rent to attempt the downgrade . . . tried 3 in town yesterday each store has one copy and they were checked out?  And VCS was available?  Hmmmmm . . . could Sony have acted that fast to get the copies at Blockbuster recalled? Trying again on my luch today . . .

More likely it's other people the same mind as you- they read about the exploit and want to do it themselves.

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 30, 2007, 06:04:00 AM

Every time this cool shit comes out, I spend hours and hours trying to get it to work.

For whatever reason I'm not getting a key file written along with my .bin.  But it really is okay.  After 2 days and 5 hours of sheer frustration, I'm really content with merely playing Playstation games on my PS2.  *sigh*

Yeah, I was all gung ho to do this (and it would involve tracking down an unpatched LCS) but I'm already planning on grabbing a Joystik 7" LCD screen and a thinline PS2 to make a nice little self contained device that I can put on the corner of my recliner like I do with my PSOne/LCD combo.  Not truly portable but I do most of my portable gaming from that recliner so it will do the trick nicely and would make modding my PSP kind of redundant. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on January 30, 2007, 12:38:25 PM

This is why when I saw the Hello World for 3.03 released, I immediately went to Gamestop to look for used copies of GTA:VCS.  I lucked out and founf a copy at the second Gamestop I went to.  I wanted to get it before people started buying them when the downgrader was released.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »

Man, if you've got a 1.50 PSP you have GOT to get PSPradio (streaming radio - works GREAT) and Super Mario War.  The concept is relatively simple - you run and jump around a deathmatch arena with 3 other Mario's, but the different game types are really great fun!

But man, I love PSPradio. 

**checking out the different genres, they've got two different stations in their video games section and it's playing Final Fantasy 10's "To Zanarkland" - <3**
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:52:58 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 01:57:19 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 30, 2007, 06:04:00 AM

Did you ever get it working?

I had some problems, but it was just making sure everything was in the correct directories.  Got it up to 3.03 OE-C.  I have a few PS1 games on my machine I might try out sometime.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »

Custom 3.10 is out from Dark Alex.  I have successfully upgraded mine.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2007, 04:31:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 04, 2007, 11:25:43 PM

Custom 3.10 is out from Dark Alex.  I have successfully upgraded mine.

3.10? *looks*

Slipped by me somehow. Either that, or it just came out like an hour or two ago. smile

Can you upgrade from 3.02 OE-A? I'm guessing so, but it doesn't hurt to ask what version you had before you upgraded.

Reading further, it looks like you'll have to downgrade through the recovery menu of the 3.02/03 PSP back to 1.5 before upgrading. Still not sure though.

And FYI - reading the fine print, I think 3.02 PS1 games will not work anymore. You'll have to convert your PS1 games to 3.03 format (which allowed compression).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:34:59 AM by Destructor » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2007, 12:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 05, 2007, 04:31:28 AM

You'll have to convert your PS1 games to 3.03 format (which allowed compression).

You know, I tried out the compression on some of the UMD games I ripped of mine and I don't like using it.  Sure, it saves space, but using the best compression made some games run really slow and take just as long as the UMD to load.  I throw them on uncompressed now and they are very speedy.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

Yeah, I never compressed my UMD games either. I just copy them to and from my 2GB stick when I want to play them.

EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2007, 02:38:52 PM »

Are there any new features in 3.10 vs 3.02/03?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: