http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 01:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Newbie Questions  (Read 637 times)
Qantaga
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

Thanks to EddieA, in this thread (not to mention the upcoming D&D Tactics and FF Tactics), my resolve to not purchase a PSP is rapidly crumbling.

I'm not in any big hurry. May is probably my target purchase timeframe (family vacation at end of May) and I'm hoping that maybe a price drop, or at least a different bundle, might appear before then. I did want to go ahead and start researching a bit, though, so I want to ask a few questions.

In poking around the web, I see references to things like version 1.5 firmware, 3.10 Open Edition, 2.7x firmware, PSP-1001k version, and on and on.

Now, I'm not looking to do anything fancy. I just want to play a handful of games (the ones mentioned above and others like Hot Shots, The Show, and Dungeon Siege). Am I safe in just buying the $199 package that I see in Best Buy, Target, etc.? (I'm not interested in the Lords of Dogtown movie or the ATV game, so I really don't want to buy the $250 pack that includes them). Or should I be looking for something other than the $199 package and maybe go somewhere online to find the best package?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »

Yeah, I'd just get the regular $199 package and go from there.  Really, no matter what firmware it comes with, you'll be able to downgrade it at some point.

The downgrade would be to run the homebrew stuff that's out there or be able to rip your UMD's to the memory stick so you don't have to carry them around. 

There's really no reason to look for any other version, as far as I can see.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »

Thanks jament!

I got a little nervous seeing all the different version references out there, so it's nice to know I'm safe with what's in the stores.

I really appreciate your help.

~Switchfoot
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »

Yeah the different versions are only if you're going to use homebrew on it, which it sounds like you're not. So no worries there.. I dont use homebrew on my PSP either.

Hopefully there will be a price drop by then (I cant believe Sony's gone TWO fuckin years now without a real price drop while the DS continues to dig its grave) but if not I'd suggest looking on Ebay for a new entertainment pack. I never used the movie/game that came with mine either but the 1gb (or bigger) memory card is a must. You can find them for around $210 shipped brand new.
And then of course, the logitech playergear pocket hard case is a must.

If you go online definitely check out Socom (1 or 2) I think I'm the only person here who plays it online. Btw the 1001k is just the model number - it's the only one available in the U.S. right now.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »

Yeah, I've been wanting to get a PSP too, but I may just wait for the PSP2, and any future games that come out.  I don't use homebrew, I'll get a GP32x for that, so version is not an issue.

I toyed with the idea of getting  DS to hold me over, but actually I find most of the DS style games not my style.  Not that they don't seem fun, but I get bored of such games quickly.

Meanwhile, despite the drought of PSP games for the first year or so, quite a few games I'd want to play have come out including Socom and Metal Gear (Acid and Portable Ops).  And there's that recent announcement of some interesting sounding RPGs.

Also my friend who moved away recently has a PSP and plays it online.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:17:48 PM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »

If I didn't have a PSP right now then I would probably be waiting for the PSP2 to come out as well.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:05:38 AM »

That begs the question, when will the PSP2 be released?

~Switchfoot
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 11:48:22 PM »

It hasn't been officially announced yet, so I suspect it's a while off.  Sony will want to do a major push to get the original PSPs off the shelves before making a new one.

The PSP2 has been confirmed in development by various magazines and news sites, so we know it's out there.  If the console stays at $200 USD I may still buy it if they fix the problems I had with the PSP1.  Namely, of course, the lack of games, load times, lack of dual analog sticks, and the crappy nub that they call an analog stick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: