http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 12:49:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] MLB - The Show  (Read 4372 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:14:21 PM »

Anyone interested in this one?

It was great last year and should be available today.

Tough choice with 2K6 coming to PSP this year as well.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »

Damn, no kidding.  I just broke out MLB last week to cure my spring training baseball jones.

Who's gonna take one for the team and get us some impressions.

As an aside, as I was playing MLB I was thinking about the notorious PSP load times.  MLB has virtually 0 load times once the game has started.  Why can't EA get it right with the NBA/Madden loads?  It's crazy.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:28:33 AM »

I picked this one up today from Best Buy since I had a coupon for it and actually lucked out due to an error of mine which resulted in me getting an extra $5 off of it, so I got it for $30.  Anyway, I jut played my first spring training game with the Twins and all I can say is "wow."  The game was very good, though I lost mostly due to me trying to get the controls down.  It has been a while since I have played a baseball game, so I need some time to get used to hitting timing and also reacting in the field.  I lost 2-0 to the Devil Rays due to me goofing up on the controls and giving up an inside the park homerun and then I just gave up a plain old home run.  I had plenty of chances to score, but blew it with my base running.  This will all improve in time.

The most important part, though, is that the game plays a nice game of baseball.  I managed to get 9 KOs with Santana, which is nice to see that you can do in a video game baseball game (in other words, all my outs weren't out in the field).

The game allows you to not only guess location of the pitch, but guess the pitch type itself and I guess you get power bonuses if you guess correctly.  I didn't mess with this aspect too much since I was just trying to concentrate on making contact.  The opposing pitcher actually hit me with a pitch and I had a ball pass which allowed a runner to advance a base.  I also saw an error in the field by the opposing team, so it looks like there is a nice variety of real life things which happen in the game.

The game controls really well (most of my mistakes were due to me just forgetting which button does what).  The graphics are nice and the play by play is really done well.  The loading screen for a game is a little lengthy, but once you lod into a game, that is the end of loading until you finish the game.

With the online mode, you can connect and they promise roster updates weekly.  Also, you can download news about whatever teams you care about and view the news offline as well as get today's scores.  I didn't play an online game yet, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, I am very impressed with this game.  It played a very nice game of baseball and the fact that it was on a handheld just amazes me.  I will of course have to play more games to truly judge, but I am very positive about what I saw so far.  I even saw the AI do some pinch hitting and pull the starting pitcher (although the pitcher had me in a shutout, so I am not sure I would have pulled him until he got into trouble, which he had done plenty earlier in the game, though I was not able to make him pay).

If you like baseball and want it in a handheld, I think this is probably the nicest handheld sports game I have ever played.

Oh,one negative to mention is using the nub for pitch placement.  I know I have only played one full game, but I found sometimes that getting my pitch location where I wanted it using the nub was kind of a pain in the ass.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »

Really good impressions.  Thank you.

I don't own the new gameboy, but it sounds like you guys have a great baseball game on your hands.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 02:16:47 PM »

Maybe you should stop screwing around with your clicky-click PC games and grab a PSP!

I think it's even better than last year. Very smooth playing and solid fielding (HUGE for me).

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Anyone interested in this one?

Nah.  Not on a piece of crap handheld such as the PSP.  Now, if it was on the DS I would consider it.  Besides, I don't want to wait 7+minutes in between innings waiting for the game to load.  :wink: :wink:  :wink: :lol:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:55:49 PM »

No load issues and no extra screen that doesn't do anything either!
  Tongue

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »

Played a few more games last night.  My record in Spring Training is now 2-2.  I got hammered by the Yankees in my last game.  SOme other cool things I have seen in games:

1) Passed third strike thatallowed me to get on base.

2) Dropped fly ball by the opposing center fielder.

3) My runner picked off first trying to lead.

I still suck at batting, though I have managed to get some runs and win a couple games.  I keep trying totoy around with the guess a pitch thing and am rarely right.  I also am not sure if pointing the analog stick in a direction when I hit does anything or not.  The manual is pretty crappy and doesn't explain hitting as well as I would like.  Also, there seem to be contradictions in controls in the manual.  For instance, the manual says to hit triangle and up to hit a ball in the air but they say to press it while hitting.  Then the controls seem to hint that you need to do it before the pticher throws the pitch.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »

I simmed a season last night and got accurate stats, for the most part.

DJ - To guess location you just need to hold the right shoulder and move the stick to a zone. You have a one in nine chance of being right. I never guess pitch type. Location, location, location!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »

I simmed a season last night and got accurate stats, for the most part.

DJ - To guess location you just need to hold the right shoulder and move the stick to a zone. You have a one in nine chance of being right. I never guess pitch type. Location, location, location!

Right, but then the manual seems to say you can use the analog stick while the pitch is in the air to swing you bat in a certain direction.  Also, I still want to know how the triangle+direction thing works for trying to hit in a certain direction.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »

Yep -

Say you pick high and inside for the pitch location guess and you're right, then you move the analog stick when you swing to high and inside to hit that pitch where it's thrown.

The triangle swing is for situational hitting and doesn't really matter wher your swing is.

The analog stick can provide the same impact as the triangle.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  One more thing.  Does Veteran level use all 9 zones?  It seems like it might use less, but I can never get any consistency going when I choose to figure it out.  For instance, I picked SW with my stick and it lit up the target on the W portion of the box.  Well, I didn't pick W, so I am guessing there are less zones?  Maybe 4?

Also, you know how when you pitch, if you go to the extreme with the analog stick, you will pitch well outside the strike zone?  Does this apply with predicting pitches?  You can't see the cursor when pitch guessing, so I am hoping not.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »

I thought veteran used all nine zones. The next level up does...I think.

If you guess low and outside and the pitch is VERY low and WAY outside, you still get the cursor showing you guessed correctly, but you probably shouldn't swing. Was that what you were looking for?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »

No.  It is hard to explain, I think.  I will play with it some more and try to figure it out.  I think on the higher difficulty levels is when they start using 9 actual zones.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 12:41:14 AM »

Are you asking if you can predict pitches out of the zone?

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 01:52:16 AM »

I went to BB today to pick this up... it was sold out there, which is something I hadn't expected.  I guess it's a good omen for the success of the game, though.

So basically, this feels like there's very little cut out for the PSP?  With the exception of Franchise mode, is there anything missing?

Oh, also, does the Career/Season mode allow for fantasy drafting or for trading of players?  How are the options for those things (salary cap on/off, etc. etc.)

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 03:40:43 AM »

DJ - You realize of course that you would have more luck asking little Nancy riding her bigwheel down the street about this game than asking the mountain of misinformation that is Devil, right?

If you are playing on veteran level, there are not 9 zones of batting.  It is simplified to 4 zones.  Up - Down - Right - Left.

I know this will sound confusing, but:
It can get kind of tricky if a ball is thrown high and right and you guess high, whether or not the computer will "give" you the location.  If it is more High than it is Right, you will most likely get the crosshairs, if it is more Right than High, you may not get it.  
The unconfusing way to say it is, if you guess high, and the computer throws high, you will get the crosshairs.  If it is high but super right, the right outweighs the high, and you won't get the crosshairs.

It's not a perfect system, but that is because it is taking the 9 zones and making them into 4.  Still, I find it works just fine.

Be careful asking questions of a person who thinks game manuals are actually coloring books with neat pictures and too many words in them.   :wink:

- - - - -

By the way.... I got this game for my PS2 - and I am simply blown out of the water (at least initially) at how good it is.  Not graphically so much, but in every single other area, presentation and gameplay especially, this game is nearly a perfect 10 as far as I'm concerned.  I am flabergasted to be honest.

I will probably post some random thoughts later on some things that are just so great about the game, if anyone cares (which is unlikely).

And just to add a funny:  My first game, I took Pettitte up against the monsters that are the Seattle Mariners (that was sarcasm)...  Pettitte got shelled for 7 runs in the first inning before recording his first out, and then got injured and had to be taken out of the game!  ERA... 99.99.  Talk about getting your ass kicked!   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 01:59:54 PM »

OK.  I rarely do this.  As a matter of fact, I don't think I have EVER done this before.  But I am going to post a direct link to an Operation Sports review of this game for the PS2.

Considering my loathing for most of the morons that grace the OpSports forums, this is a day of days.  But the review that Clay gives this game (for the PS2) is so accurate, and better than anything I could write, it is worth checking out.   (No offense Badgun, as I know you post on OpSports, and are not one of the "most" I mention above)

So, if the link works and you are so inclined, here you go...

Clay's review of The Show

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »

Hey, Clown!

Do you understand we're talking about the PSP version?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 02:40:06 PM »

Do you understand we're talking about the PSP version?

Yes Boob, I realize that.  Are you going to tell me the veteran level in the gameboy version has a different set of rules for pitching than the PS2 version?  I'll wait patiently for you to look up the answer...

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »

I have no idea what the PS2 version does - I don't have the PS2 version.

If I did have the PS2 version, I probably would have put that information in the subject of the thread and we would have been talking about the same thing.

Dope.

Tongue

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »

That's it !

Let's settle this in the ring!

biggrin

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »

Featherweights! Done!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »

[PS2 version story]  <----  Please notice this.  Don't want to get screamed at by some people for invading their thread which is focusing on the gameboy version.

So I played an awesomely awesome game tonight.  

Astros vs. Angels in Anaheim.

Pettitte vs. Fatty

Basically, I wanted to see if I could recover from my initial Pettitte experience, in giving up 7 runs (all earned) in the 1st inning of my game against Seattle.  Turned out to be a great experience.  And that is really what this game is... an experience.  Because it just draws you in with the presentation like no sports game I have ever played before.

So, for those who care, I (Astros) score 2 runs off Fatty in the 6th.  Up until then, I was getting a random hit here and there.  He hung a curve to Lane in the 6th with Berkman on base, and Whammo!  I ended up chasing him in the 7th, and except for the dinger he gave up, Colon pitched well.

Pettitte on the other hand pitched excellent.  He went a full 7 2/3 innings, gave up 2 hits, no runs, walked 2 and struck out 5.  Everything was going along great.  And then I brought in Wheeler........  The next thing you know, Vlad is hitting one off the center field wall, knocking in 2, and tying the game in the 8th inning.  JUST like it would be in real life if I brought in Wheeler.  Needless to say, we're going extra innings.  

Lige is already in the pen warming up, so I bring him in.  He gives me 3 full innings, gives up 3 hits, strikes out 5 (his slider is w-i-c-k-e-d), and then gets tired.  So we end up in the bottom of the 13th, with Gallo on the mound for me.  2 outs and a runner on 2nd for the Angels.  Erstad is at the plate.  3-2 count, and Gallo (controlled by yours truly) misses the lower inside corner with a 2-seamer.  Erstad says, "thank you very much!" and hits a shot in the gap between center and left, and it's game over, 3 to 2.  Angels win at home.  Fireworks go off, crowd goes crazy, you'd think they just won the series!

Even in the loss, just a spectacular game (experience).   :wink:

The game has a couple small problems.  But so far, they are minor compared to the whole package of awesomeness.

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 01:52:21 AM »

Nice of you to point out that you are playing the PS2 version.

Also would be cool if you knew how to spell your closer's name.

:wink:

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »

You are right.  I forgot the "d" - as in Dumbass.

Tongue

LD

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 10:28:16 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

If you are playing on veteran level, there are not 9 zones of batting.  It is simplified to 4 zones.  Up - Down - Right - Left.

I know this will sound confusing, but:
It can get kind of tricky if a ball is thrown high and right and you guess high, whether or not the computer will "give" you the location.  If it is more High than it is Right, you will most likely get the crosshairs, if it is more Right than High, you may not get it.  
The unconfusing way to say it is, if you guess high, and the computer throws high, you will get the crosshairs.  If it is high but super right, the right outweighs the high, and you won't get the crosshairs.

It's not a perfect system, but that is because it is taking the 9 zones and making them into 4.  Still, I find it works just fine.

Thanks.  This answers my question just fine.  This explains why it gives me the lock on some things when I thought it didn't quite match what I picked.  Do you know if you can use the D-Pad for this since it would be better to be precise for just 4 zones?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 11:25:16 PM »

No, I don't know.  But since Devil has the PSP version, I bet he could tell you if he wanders back in this thread.

LD

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 11:51:43 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
No, I don't know.  But since Devil has the PSP version, I bet he could tell you if he wanders back in this thread.

Well, I could just test it myself, I suppose.  I was at work when I asked and was just wondering if you knew off-hand.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 03:04:29 AM »

I'm back! 4 zones. Clown's right.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 05:22:39 PM »

Had a great 14 inning victory for my Twins this morning while playing.  Still a great game.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »

That review GT did was very good by the way!

Great game!

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »

Very well written and the author has a clear grasp of the game and the sport itself.

:wink:  biggrin

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »

This thread alone contains some of the best Lockdown vs. Devil banter in a long time!  Classic stuff guys!  You two keep making me split a gut!  :lol:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »

I'm happy that his stupidity has somehow made your life better.

Tongue  :wink:

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 02:52:33 PM »

Has anyone figured out how to work the hit direction controls?  The printed directions say to push the directional button and the triangle, but not quite when to do it.  There is a splash screen that says to use the analog and the shoulder buttons in some cases.  I'm pretty sure using the left shoulder button while there are runners on is going to cause steal attempts.

I've tried the d-pad/triangle combination but don't know if it has had any effect.

Also, is anyone interested in online play?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: