http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:16:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Killzone: Liberation (Demo) impressions  (Read 478 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »

I got this in the mail, presumably through my Playstation Underground membership.  I didn't play the PS2 version, but the good buzz got me to pop it in.

It's a very short single player demo - one small area to get through.  Looks like there will be quite a few different weapons in the final game, and they give you access to about 3 of them in the demo, plus grenades and remote detonated mines.  Controls seem to work pretty well, except in my limited time I didn't quite get the hang of strafing and locking on.  As best as I could tell you can't lock on to an enemy, only objects, like the ever-present exploding barrels and wooden boxes.  I might be wrong on that though.  You can shoot from a distance or you can also move up close and use a melee move to do some damage.  The enemies have a set number of hit points and you can see how many are left every time they get hit.  There's also a nice tumble move and you can hide in cover and easily pop up to fire and immediately get down again. You can't climb over anything, even boxes that are shorter than you, so that's unrealistic and pulls you out of the game a little.

The most impressive part of the demo, imho, was the AI.  The enemy will work in teams to flank you - very cool.

The graphics are nice, with some nice water effects and ragdoll phyiscs on bodies thrown by explosions.  The view is pulled out quite a bit from the action, though, so there is only so much detail they can put in.

I didn't touch the multiplayer...

I think I'll go back and see if I can get better with the strafing and aiming.  It looks like it has some potential but I'll definitely wait for reviews. 

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:24:24 PM »

I'm actually curious on how the multiplayer will be on this one.  I can see the firefights behind cover happening often in this game.   I don't think you can lock on to anything, unless you are hiding behind cover.  Then the targetting cursor gets much more 'sticky' when aiming in a direction.  I'll have to give it another go.  Either way, I'm looking forward to this one.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:35:52 PM »

I really liked the demo.  I was getting killed a lot in my first playthroughs (rocket launcher dude, especially), but after getting the hang of finding cover and rolling, I can breeze through it.

It's a fun game and the (very, very short) demo shows lots of promise.  Multiplayer could be a blast.  I was most surprised at how well the controls worked and how incredibly cool the ragdoll physics were.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:49:20 PM »

Yeah it's a very fun (albeit short) demo.  I could see multiplayer being an absolute blast!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:35:28 AM »

It's definitely from the playstation underground. I've heard quite a few people getting them, haven't got mine yet though.

You're right about the AI though, I'd expect nothing less from Guerilla Games. The original killzone (which was a first person shooter) had some of the best in the industry, IMO. The bots used team tactics, covered eachother, ran when their health was low, and so on.
Looking at the manual there were multiple AI programmers.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer part yet? I'm sure it's ad-hoc only (since they announced infastructure would be a free downloadable expansion) but if it's anything like the original killzone, maybe there's bots in there.. in which case you can play on the multiplayer maps with just the AI.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: