http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:42:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [psp] gurumin: a monstrous adventure  (Read 1776 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »

is something of a minor masterpiece...

just beat the final boss, & can't say enough good things about this game - cleverly designed, very good story, nice bits of humor, great, numerous bite-sized dungeons, & easily, in it's own way, matches up well with r&c:sm as a solid, pretty portable action/platformer. don't let the kiddie vibe turn you off - parin's a hard-core heroine, & she swings a mean drill...

(did i mention that the soundtrack rocks?...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:32:43 AM »

I played this a good bit, but stopped when Ratchet and Clank came out.  I should get back to it.  I loved what I played, though I think it will be considered too kiddy by many around here.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »

Man, how did I miss this one?

Your quick write-up caught my eye and reviews confirm it's a solid game.  Gamespot name-dropped Miyazaki in the review which means I'm picking it up tomorrow biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:47:45 PM »

EXACTLY what Grue said.

Loved it, but shelved it for the moment.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 07, 2007, 05:32:43 AM

I played this a good bit, but stopped when Ratchet and Clank came out.  I should get back to it...

did the same thing, also. very glad i picked up on it again...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »

I started playing again this morning because of this thread.   Thanks for reminding me I had it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 06:16:11 PM »

Yeah, this really is a great game with perfect-sized dungeons for a handheld. 

How long did it take you to finish, semiconscious?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2007, 06:16:11 PM

a little over 20 hours (w/ lots of repeat runs thru dungeons for money/junk)...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 07, 2007, 09:02:26 PM

Interesting.  I am 7 hours in and I feel like I might be getting near the end because I am defeating all the characters.  Now, maybe they come back or there are more introduced and I could be totally wrong.  I haven't done any dungeon more than once, though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »

WTF?  How have I never heard of this game?  Off to do some research....
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 03:16:11 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 07, 2007, 09:03:51 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on March 07, 2007, 09:02:26 PM

Interesting.  I am 7 hours in and I feel like I might be getting near the end because I am defeating all the characters.  Now, maybe they come back or there are more introduced and I could be totally wrong.  I haven't done any dungeon more than once, though.

you're probably right - i got into upgrading stuff (& was glad i had come the last boss - not really great at these games, & he was a bitch smile ). note: be sure to get all of everyone's furniture - iow, go thru every dungeon - before taking on the final boss in order to get the good ending)...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

Picked this up @ lunch today due to this thread & seeing other places where it's being praised.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »

This, Generation of Chaos, and MGS Portable Ops are the three games I'm guying as soon as I get my PSP.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:49:04 PM by Turtle » Logged
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 11:37:35 PM »

I like action RPGs so I may give this one a try... I cant stand the character design though.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 13, 2007, 09:42:59 PM

This, Generation of Chaos, and MGS Portable Ops are the three games I'm guying as soon as I get my PSP.

Generation of Chaos 2 is coming out soon, and is a significant improvement over the first game.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 14, 2007, 12:58:34 AM

Quote from: Turtle on April 13, 2007, 09:42:59 PM

Generation of Chaos 2 is coming out soon, and is a significant improvement over the first game.

agreed (goc is something of a mess)...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 02:06:21 AM »

Ah, okay.  I just saw the preview of GoC2 and it seemed pretty cool, thought GoC1 might be the same.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 07, 2007, 04:49:55 AM

just beat the final boss, & can't say enough good things about this game - cleverly designed, very good story, nice bits of humor, great, numerous bite-sized dungeons, & easily, in it's own way, matches up well with r&c:sm as a solid, pretty portable action/platformer. don't let the kiddie vibe turn you off - parin's a hard-core heroine, & she swings a mean drill...

How difficult would you rate the platforming and combat in the game? Generally I suck at platforming, so its holding me back from getting this title. I have images in my head of multiple reloads due to insta-death falls. And everyone knows that loading on a PSP takes a few seconds less than forever.

I ask about combat because it sounds interesting, but possibly frustrating. I don't understand how the analog stick(which I assume is used for movement) needs to ALSO be turned in a 360 degree motion to introduce attacks. From Gamespot:

Instead of going the button-mashing route with a few boring combo attacks, special attacks here involve combining a 360-degree motion on the D pad or analog stick with the dash, melee, or jump button, or a combination of any two. It might sound daunting, but the circular motion is forgiving enough that it'll quickly become second nature to execute any of the special attacks at will. It also helps that instead of encountering hordes of weak enemies, you'll come up against armored and evasive enemies, which means you'll have to chain together your special attacks for maximum effectiveness.

Tha game is only $29 new at my local blockbuster. So....
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 15, 2007, 09:41:17 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on March 07, 2007, 04:49:55 AM

How difficult would you rate the platforming and combat in the game? Generally I suck at platforming, so its holding me back from getting this title. I have images in my head of multiple reloads due to insta-death falls. And everyone knows that loading on a PSP takes a few seconds less than forever.

I ask about combat because it sounds interesting, but possibly frustrating. I don't understand how the analog stick(which I assume is used for movement) needs to ALSO be turned in a 360 degree motion to introduce attacks. From Gamespot:

Instead of going the button-mashing route with a few boring combo attacks, special attacks here involve combining a 360-degree motion on the D pad or analog stick with the dash, melee, or jump button, or a combination of any two. It might sound daunting, but the circular motion is forgiving enough that it'll quickly become second nature to execute any of the special attacks at will. It also helps that instead of encountering hordes of weak enemies, you'll come up against armored and evasive enemies, which means you'll have to chain together your special attacks for maximum effectiveness.

Tha game is only $29 new at my local blockbuster. So....

while the last few dungeons & final boss gave me some zelda-level problems, the generous over-all learning curve combined with the ability to farm completed dungeons for goodies made the game very doable for me (&, even with a number of dungeon redos, the game never dragged the whole time i was playing it). i can't remember dying/restarting being that big of a deal (the only part of the game where load times are annoying is when you're in town, & enter/exit buildings, but even that's not really so bad), &, as it mentions in the gamespot review, the attack techniques, which might sound a bit tricky, become pretty easy to pull off with a bit of practice...

i'd say grab it - it's a very polished, very clever/entertaining game, & pretty much the equal of any action/adventure available on the psp...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to state how good this game is.

It's also a simpler game than Zelda for those who compare.  You don't have all these inventory items that you have to switch out and use.  That cuts down on some of the tedium of the Zelda style game, making the dungeons a often more linear and straight forward.  That's a good thing for a handheld game to me.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

This game just had a price drop to $19.99, so the 50% reduction in price will probably sway me into buying the title. One last question for people who played the game-

From the reviews it seems like there is an auto-jump feature implemented into the game, which eliminates the frustration of dying becuase of a bad camera angle or mis-timed push of the button. Is this true? My one hesitation with buying the game is getting stuck replaying an area/level multiple times because I cannot get past some jumping puzzle that is either too difficult (jump-jumpjump-DOUBLE jump) or goes on for too long.

Other than that, the game has received very solid reviews and it seems like a $20 price tag makes Gurumin a no-brainer purchase.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 29, 2007, 01:15:45 PM

From the reviews it seems like there is an auto-jump feature implemented into the game, which eliminates the frustration of dying becuase of a bad camera angle or mis-timed push of the button. Is this true? My one hesitation with buying the game is getting stuck replaying an area/level multiple times because I cannot get past some jumping puzzle that is either too difficult (jump-jumpjump-DOUBLE jump) or goes on for too long.

there's no auto-jump, & the jumping in the game can get tricky, especially in some dungeons toward the end (shifting platforms, slick surfaces, etc). i found it all about as doable as jak & r&c - a few redos here'n'there, but never really verging on impossible, so much as just an occasionall pain in the ass (btw, there are auto-save points in the dungeons, so that if you die, you don't necessarily go back to the beginning)...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »

It's similar to Zelda jumping where if you die you just get transported back to the beginning of the dungeon segment and lost some life.

So far the game's focus isn't on jumping puzzles but combat and exploration (and cuteness).
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »

now available on the playstation store for $20...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:48 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 20, 2008, 12:59:51 PM

now available on the playstation store for $20...

Which is weird because a friend of mine said he saw it new for $12.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: