http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:18:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] GTA:LC  (Read 2902 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:48:17 PM »

How far up Rockstar's asses can IGN get?  If you read their review
it seems clear the game is not great.  

1. they describe the targeting system as "this targeting system feels downright broken when in comparison to other 3D action titles."

2. missions vary from way to hard to way to easy.

3. load times sound terrible! "More importantly though, these travel-intensive missions become wildly time consuming -- Every mission in LCS takes only five to ten minutes of action to complete, but then there's the five minutes of travel and two minutes of load times to consider. Plus, some of the missions can be tough, so you'll try each several times."

4. the travel system sounds annoying.  "LCS includes a taxi cab system where a taxi ferries you back to a mission when you die. But the consequences for using this system are way too severe. To start, you lose every single weapon in your possession. And if you had body armor you lose that also. Certain weapons are very rare and some are just expensive. Either way you never, ever want to lose them. So taking a taxi after losing a mission is a total non-option."

5. you can't save at any time.  "Add this to the fact you can't save the game wherever you want (only at three safe houses) and things become very unfriendly."

Those things are not terrible to be sure but taken as a whole the review reads like the game is a "B" title at best.   However since it is Rockstar the game is given a 9.0  

It is funny, with high profile games like this it feels like you have to read the reviews (and read between the lines sometimes) to get a true picture of how the game is becuase their score is always going to be high.  

[/list]

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »

They also mentioned the cops ignore everyone but you (this kills me!).

OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

3. load times sound terrible! "More importantly though, these travel-intensive missions become wildly time consuming -- Every mission in LCS takes only five to ten minutes of action to complete, but then there's the five minutes of travel and two minutes of load times to consider. Plus, some of the missions can be tough, so you'll try each several times."

Why does this part of the review seem to contradict that?

The game only loads on start-up, when loading a save or during cutscenes. Apart from this, there's absolutely no loading when driving around town. Of course, when going from one island to the next there's a five-second pause, but that's very understandable.

If it is only a 5 second pause between islands, why would you have to tack on 2 minutes of load times to complete a mission spread out across the three islands?  The part of the review I quoted is mostly what I have heard in regards to load times in the game and I don't think they are all that bad.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:09:41 PM »

I think the reviewer is saying if you die and have to load a save it takes two minutes then you have your travel time etc.

So if you never die it is seamless.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I think the reviewer is saying if you die and have to load a save it takes two minutes then you have your travel time etc.

So if you never die it is seamless.

No, he's saying that to do a 5 to 10 minute mission, you have to tack on 5 minutes for travel and 2 for loading.  Then, if you happen to die, you can tack on more time, but he is saying just doing it once is time consuming.  Now, maybe the 2 minutes of load time he is referring to is just to load the city up after you get your mission or something and the 5 seconds of island loading pause actual gets counted in his travel time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 04:41:24 PM »

OUT!

Note that Gamespot was forbidden by Rockstar from publishing their review ahead of time. IGN apparently was bought off with the exclusive review rights! Shady, shady stuff here folks... :evil:

The following was posted on Gamespot earlier:

Editor's Note: We are unable to bring you a review of this game until after its release in stores because the publisher chose to work exclusively with other media outlets. GameSpot does not accept exclusive reviews and actively discourages publishers from brokering them.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 04:59:30 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
Editor's Note: We are unable to bring you a review of this game until after its release in stores because the publisher chose to work exclusively with other media outlets. GameSpot does not accept exclusive reviews and actively discourages publishers from brokering them.

Wow.  That's bad.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:27:28 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Cleric7"

Wow.  That's bad.

Very bad.

And apparently Gamespot doesn't accept 'money hat' reviews, or doesn't let themselves to get bought off like IGN does (ah, McGriddles biggrin ).

Gamespot Reviews +1

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 07:44:59 PM »

Yeah, GameSpot had the same message up for The Warriors before the review came out.

Rockstar is apparently doing deals w/ IGN and 1UP for both The Warriors and GTA: LCS. They were the first w/ reviews for The Warriors and now the first w/ GTA: LCS.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »

Yeah, but The Warriors turned out to be great.  It's a horrible practice, to be sure, but that doesn't mean the review can't be positive and right.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 10:53:36 PM »

Dumb question but have any of you played it yet? I have an unopened copy sitting downstairs after reading this post I'm more then a little hesitant to open it up.

Ascendent
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 11:03:47 PM »

I like it alot.

It looks AMAZING. Its shocking to be able to play a GTA title in a handheld.

The only downside so far is its the original map, with all new story/mission... but its upgraded for sure..

You can ride motorcycles.. go in houses stuff you couldnt do in the first one.

I think its a must have +1 if you love the series.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 01:08:43 AM »

I got it after Hank called me. Looks very impressive on first glance. The idea of GTA on the go is one of the primary reasons I bought a PSP. Not sure if it'll pull me away from any of the high-profile, non-portable games I've picked up recently but next time I'm out of the house and have a little free time to play some PSP, it'll be damn cool to whip out the GTA.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 11:29:55 PM »

I was tempted to get this for awhile, but I think I'll pass for now.  The Gamespot review turned me off and there's too much other good stuff coming out in the next couple of weeks.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 12:06:48 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I was tempted to get this for awhile, but I think I'll pass for now.  The Gamespot review turned me off and there's too much other good stuff coming out in the next couple of weeks.

What gamespot review?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 12:13:22 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
Quote from: "Nth Power"

What gamespot review?

Oops, sorry  :oops: .  All the previous Gamespot talk locked that into my brain.  I meant to say IGN.  Despite the high score they gave, the cons mentioned sounded like things that would really annoy me.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 12:23:11 AM »

I'm passing simply because there is no way to play it on a 1.5. I enjoy ScummVM too much.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 04:08:27 AM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I'm passing simply because there is no way to play it on a 1.5. I enjoy ScummVM too much.

There are programs out there for the PSP that trick the console into thinking that you have the 2.0 or greater patch installed. Thus, you can have the best of both worlds.

EDIT: After digging around, I've come to the conclusion that you simply must install 2.0 or greater in order to play this game. On the flip side, you can play some non-standard programs on a 2.0 console, but that list is sorta small. And the holes to do so were fixed in the 2.01 patch, so that won't last for long.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 08:00:35 AM »

Also, I've brought a lot of games recently, and Civ 4 is very tempting and would cost the same as GTA:LC. I've used freeloader 7 to load XMen Legends 2, and I was hoping to do the same with GTA. I can't be bothered putting on 2.0 and downgrading everytime I want to play DOTT. But to be honest the homebrew scene hasn't progressed as much as I expected. I was hoping to be able to play Duke Nuke em, Shadow Warrior, Blood, GTA 1 and 2 and other old classics that I dug up. Guess I'll have to learn how to program.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »

my first gta (?!), & all i can say is, this game's camera almost makes death jr's look good! otherwise, it's fine, tho (at least so far) nothing at all like the masterpiece described in some of the reviews - entertaining, tho mostly it just feels kinda silly?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »

A new version of ScummVM is being released this weekend that will work on v 2.0, so I'm very tempted to pick this up when it's finally released in Europe.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 01:15:02 AM »

I picked this up yesterday.  It is pretty good.  If you like GTA, I imagine you'll like it on the PSP.  Pretty amazing to play it on the go like this.  Load times are pretty good, better then they ever were on the PS2 I think.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »

Just wanted to update that I'm completely enjoying this game.  It controls well (now that I've adjusted to using the analog nub) and its pretty classic GTA gameplay.  While LC isn't as advanced as the newer GTA games, it still is more then fine, especially being portable.

The targetting system isn't great, but adequate for what I've done.  Load times are fine, it loads faster then Fifa did last year, and a number of other PSP games I've played.  Travelling around hasn't been so bad either, especially as you get to know the streets.  Missions aren't as bad as claimed so far, though I'm only a few hours in.

Anyway, great game.  I'm going to pick up San Andreas on the PC too, as I'm hooked on the GTA gameplay at the moment.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »

I used to play GTA3 to and from work on a laptop.  What a great time!

It was kind of a pain, however, because I couldn't always get a seat (meaning I couldn't play), and the laptop took a while to boot up and shut down.

Nice to see that the holy grail of portable GTA has been achieved!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: