http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Exit is a good game  (Read 1180 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »

I picked this up last week and have been playing it off and on and I am really enjoying it.  It is basically a series of puzzles which involve you figuring out how to escape a building which is on fire.  THe animation style is really cool and the puzzles are fun to figure out.  There are 100 puzzles and then you can also downoad additional ones via the PSP, though right now only 10 levels are available, but I think there will eventually be 110 extra levels.  If you like puzzles, I think you might enjoy it.  At any rate, this and Mega Man has made me play my PSP after not having picked it up for quite a long time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »

Cool!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:39:24 PM »

What Jason said.

Classic side-scrolling puzzle with very slick presentation.
If you enjoyed the movement mechanics/jumping style of circa-80s Prince of Persia, you really should pick this up.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »

it was either this or grandia last week, & grandia won. glad to hear you guys like it (tho i've read it gets a bit nasty further in) - will keep it in mind...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »

For some reason I was thinking this was a topic about Sony exiting the handheld market.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
For some reason I was thinking this was a topic about Sony exiting the handheld market.

You know...it's funny.

I like Exit a lot. Still, I think it would have been just as good or better on the DS. Map on the top. Play field on the bottom. Touch an item to pick it up or use it. Touch rope or stairs to climb. Use the stylus to order companions around exactly like the "click" mechanic in the game, etc.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »

I am very tempted to get this. What firmware does it require?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
I am very tempted to get this. What firmware does it require?

2.5 I think.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:05:24 AM »

Yep, requires 2.5, I hear it has problems loading with bypassing that also, but I haven't tried.  It's tough but fun, some interesting puzzles and areas, and I just love the graphics and style of the game.  A side note, the game has 100 levels of increasing difficutly, have to do the first 10 in order, then it unlocks 11-69 to do in any order, 70-100 are unlocked in some way I don't know yet.  

The game boasts "up to 100 extra downloadable bonus levels" and so far, they have 20 levels posted to their site, but the "Training" missions are *very* hard, too time sensitive and I'm hoping they change them to make it less frustrating and more fun.  I haven't tried the second batch of 10 missions yet, but at least you don't need to do them in order I don't believe, so you can at least see what they are all like.

All in all it's pretty fun, but the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly I'm finding.  They really should have priced it at $30(or less) but I'm always felt that "puzzle" games(besides lumines) should cost less than other games based on how that genre typically is more limited in depth.  I guess the determining factor for me on whether it was a good purchase or not will be how hard it gets and how frustrated/stuck I get.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:32:40 AM »

I like Exit a lot. Still, I think it would have been just as good or better on the DS.

You guys are trying to kill me, huh?  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:52 AM »

Quote from: "Moatman"
I haven't tried the second batch of 10 missions yet

Interesting...that second set of 10 was not ut yet a couple of days ago, so they are adding them in a hurry. There are over 100 extra in Japan already. I presume we'll get the same ones. just localized.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 12:28:08 AM »

got it, & am loving (addicted to) it! very, very well done game (tho i agree with misguided as far as his suggested ds 'improvements', & am still finding the running jump a bit tricky)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »

Yeah, some of the controls are floaty but you get used to it.

I'm enjoying it too. I've only beaten about 22 levels so far. You definitely have to have a stomach for frustration because there are lots of ways to paint yourself into a corner in this game.

I like the graphical style (especially the backgrounds) but I dislike the character designs for everyone except Mr. Exit. And the voice samples are not only repetitive but vapid. What the hell is up with that whiny, "I really need a shower!" ???

But aside from those picked nits, this is a fun game. It also gets extra credit as the first game to get me to dust off my PSP in about 4 months.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »

To me, the trial-and-error component is just part of this kind of game, though the fact you can't see the entire screen at once and having that cause problems is a legitimate complaint.

Totally agreed on the voice sound bytes. I wish we could turn them off. Not going to let that mar a rare puzzle experience though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: