http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:48:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Dead to Rights:Reckoning Impressions  (Read 2884 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »

Hoping that this title won't be craptacular.  Anyone looking forward to this?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:06:40 PM »

How silly of me to think there'd be IMPRESSIONS here! smile

Doing my part for the push to page 2, so we can see some actual impressions.....

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »

Let's just hope that it turns out better than Dead to Rights II on the consoles.  Yikes!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »

Does anyone have this yet?  Impressions?
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 12:10:29 AM »

Gamespot gave it a 5.7 :roll: .  From what I hear, the game length is about 4 hours.  Saw it posted at the gamespot forums.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/deadtorightsreckoning/index.html
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 06:46:25 AM »

So Coded Arms, Midnight Club 3 and Dead to Rights are all crap. Sony better get it's act together.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 11:43:17 AM »

Quote from: "JayG"
So Coded Arms, Midnight Club 3 and Dead to Rights are all crap. Sony better get it's act together.

I'm not understanding the Sony statement.  In order the games were made by Konami, Rockstar and Namco.  I don't own a PSP (and don't plan on it currently), but blaming 3 sucky games on Sony is a bit of a stretch when they didn't develop them in the first place.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »

I would have thought it would be self evident. If Sony wants anyone to buy it's handheld, it better start releasing decent games. Nintendo are destroying Sony at the moment, saleswise and softwarewise.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 01:30:20 PM »

I've already spent more time with my PSP than all other Nintendo handhelds combined (and I've had them all) - Can't imagine what will happen when the really good stuff comes out!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »

Outside of the excrusiating load times, is Midnight Club 3 really a crap game?  Sounds to me like it's pretty good with the fatal flaw of load times.

I understand what you're getting at...but is the onus on Sony or the developers in this case?  Sony just gives the head nod and the developers take it from there...it's theirs to screw up.  I don't see Sony producing any of these.

And I agree with you on the DS beating Sony out...I think Sony stuck its neck out a bit too much with the PSP and they're going to get burned for it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »

I don't know about Midnight Club. As usual, only IGN has reviewed it. On Gamefaqs the forums say the load times are awful, but the game is great. I'm disappointed because I wanted to get a new PSP game, and while I'm still debating about MC 3, I'll probably just end up getting Kirby. I hope that GTA:PSP doesn't have the same issues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »

but is the onus on Sony or the developers in this case?

I would say, and forgive me if I'm misrepresenting you here, JayG, that the onus is on Sony to get its act together and make good games happen for the PSP either by releasing their own or getting more hands-on with developers to make the games worthwhile.  

Or they could just get more games released.  If they just had more titles out, the odds of some of them being good would go up.  Right now, I'm putting way to much hope on Death Jr being good, and it doesn't come out until mid-August (at this point).  The PSP field is so barren that trying to find one on the EB page means sorting through who-gives-a-crap UMD movies to find anything.  With results per page set up at the standard 12 or 20, no game appears until the bottom of the second page with three games scheduled to appear in August (one of them another Ape Escape title, at that).  So much for PSP gaming fun this summer.

As an aside, as for MC3, it looks like the game is okay (though bad frame rates are very bad for a racing title, IMO), but with load times over a minute, who cares?  Also, we already have Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, Need for Speed and ATV Offroad Fury.  Nearly 1/5 of the games for the PSP are racing titles.  Is another racing game for the PSP what anyone is craving ?

It's a nifty device for the games that do exist, but it lost its wow factor for me pretty quickly, and now it needs games to rebuild the love.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 03:35:58 PM »

I was one person who was eagerly awaiting MC3, even though I own Wipeout, Ridge Racer, and ATV (a mistake, that last one).

While I'm willing to put up with load times if they not that frequent, I can't see myself dealing with that as often as it appears it does in this game.

And then, even if I was willing to put up with it, I can't see myself paying $50.  Had the game been issue-free, I'd probably have plunked down the cash.  But not now.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 03:43:13 PM »

You should all get MLB for PSP and be happy! biggrin

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 05:58:35 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I've already spent more time with my PSP than all other Nintendo handhelds combined (and I've had them all) - Can't imagine what will happen when the really good stuff comes out!

TESTIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 07:19:11 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I would have thought it would be self evident. If Sony wants anyone to buy it's handheld, it better start releasing decent games. Nintendo are destroying Sony at the moment, saleswise and softwarewise.

At least in the U.S., the sales numbers for the DS were pretty ugly in May. PSP moved ~250,000 units, while thd DS moved slightly under 60,000.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 10:48:59 PM »

I may be in the minority, but the PSP boot-to-play times (which is different than pure loadtimes) definitely affect the amount of time I spend playing it.  A good portion of my handheld playtime are short 'pick up and play for 15 minutes' sessions - because of this, the only time I really play my PSP is when I know I have an hour or so to blow on playing a game simply because it takes a few minutes to get into any of the games I own.

The sad part is that for the three games I play regularly (THUG2, Wipeout, and Legends), the majority of the time is spent loading movies/menus/etc. that I don't really need to see everytime I play - if I could just skip directly to my last saved game, I could probably shave off a full minute or two in each of them.  Instead I have to wait for each FMV to load to skip them, load a menu, get booted out to a seperate menu to load my profile, reload the original menu again, etc. - by this time I could be finished up a battle in FFTA or on my 5th planet in Meteos smile

Hopefully future PSP games have a little more thought put into the game structure to minimize the amount of time spent having to access the UMD.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 12:28:55 AM »

Dimmona - If you just slide the power button up quick, in the middle of a game to turn off the PSP, you can slide it up again to turn it on and it'll bring you right back to where you left off. Kinda freezes you wherever you were.

Doesn't help for switching games but actually makes it MORE pick up and play friendly than the GBA/DS.

Just throwing that out there...

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »

Yeah the sleep mode helps, but the problem is that it still drains the battery - it works good if you want to jump back an hour or two later, but if you put it in sleep mode and let it sit overnight the battery will be drained in the morning frown

Not to get on topic or anything, but I do have rentals for both Dead to Rights and Midnight Club 3 coming in tomorrow so hopefully I can post impressions smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 01:14:27 AM »

Yeah the sleep mode helps, but the problem is that it still drains the battery - it works good if you want to jump back an hour or two later, but if you put it in sleep mode and let it sit overnight the battery will be drained in the morning  

Huh? I've left mine in sleep mode for over a week and the battery level didn't move.  :?:

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 04:49:20 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Yeah the sleep mode helps, but the problem is that it still drains the battery - it works good if you want to jump back an hour or two later, but if you put it in sleep mode and let it sit overnight the battery will be drained in the morning  

Huh? I've left mine in sleep mode for over a week and the battery level didn't move.  :?:

Uh oh... I wonder if mine has battery problems?  I just charged the battery on my PSP this morning - I'll sit in sleep mode overnight and see how much of the battery is left.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 04:54:30 AM »

Sleep mode definitely drains the battery, albeit at a minimal rate.  I had my PSP in sleep mode for over a month at one point and the battery was dead as could be when I went back to it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 01:28:38 PM »

OK - I'll give you that. It'll take a month to drain the battery in sleep mode.

Still beats booting up from scratch every time you play a game.  smile

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 01:34:07 PM »

Ya sleep mode should only drain minimally. I have left mine in sleep for a week and it's been fine. But I also "dock" it at home (that is, plug it in) when I'm not using it, so most of the time it's not sleeping unpowered.

Sleep mode + Hot Shots Golf == teh win!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »

Werd!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »

Quote:

Werd!

Werdy werd!

Seriously, HSG is my go to game for when I'm waiting for something to load or download.  Just a quick couple of holes then back to what I was doing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: