http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:35:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] D&D: Tactics impressions  (Read 5480 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 11:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 16, 2007, 11:34:03 PM

Quote from: ericb on August 16, 2007, 11:21:15 PM

Did the question of multi-classes get answered yet?

Multi-classing is NOT supported, which can seriously 'nerf' some races, as some are built around being able to multi-class freely. There's also no school choosing as a Wizard or Psion.

Also, for those of you on the fence on this - keep in mind that this game is VERY rules heavy. The game makes it easy to play, but the game does very little in actually telling you what's going on behind the scenes. It also doesn't tell you some important things (what exactly IS my BAB for example - yeah, you can figure it out if you factor in all the bonuses, but the game doesn't actually TELL you it anywhere).

After putting in some time with it (and absolutely loving it, don't get me wrong), having put at least a little bit of time into 3.0 or 3.5 is almost required. Can you play without the knowledge contained within the handbooks? Yeah. Will you enjoy the game anywhere near as much as somebody who knows the rules? No.

In short - this game plays almost EXACTLY like the Gold Box games of (very) old did. If me mentioning those words made your heart jump with excitement, you'll love this game.

It does tell you have you tried "View party/character" my little guy has a bab of 2
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »

Well I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about so despite my love of tactical games I may pass on this one.  I'll have my plate full when I get my hands on Jeanne D'Arc and Brave Story anyways. smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 12:35:57 AM »

Rofl...4th edition was announced at GenCon...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »

No multi-classing is a bummer.  While not a game killer, it's a pretty big part of the game.

Quote from: Misguided on August 17, 2007, 12:35:57 AM

Rofl...4th edition was announced at GenCon...
Wha!?  What are they changing now? 
Will they come out with a 4.5 a few months later? ...lol

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 12:56:37 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 11:31:15 PM

Quote from: ericb on August 16, 2007, 11:21:15 PM

I just picked up a used PSP (only $80, so glad the slim is coming out so the prices are falling so much) just so I can get some of these new tactics games coming out...it took a couple years but the PSP finally has a decent game list than I'm interested in.  Did the question of multi-classes get answered yet?

Where'd you find a used one for $80, if you don't mind me asking.

Actually got it at anandtech in the FS/FT section.  There have been three in the past few days I've looked at but missed the first two (and they were more anyway).

Anyway back on subject...no multiclass is a stinker but I guess as long as 95% of the rest of the rules are intact I'll give it a go.  Wonder why they pulled the multi out...seems like such a major part for the true die hards.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »

Quote from: Ascendent on August 16, 2007, 11:38:24 PM

It does tell you have you tried "View party/character" my little guy has a bab of 2

Okay, I definitely didn't say exactly what I meant then. Call it too long since I last played the PnP game. biggrin

What I meant to say is that I can't find my... Bloody hell. There's some term that translates into the true number you add to the dice roll that factors in your BAB, your Strength bonus, and your weapon bonus, along with any spells you might have on you. And I sure don't know what it's called as of right now.

Personally, I think it would be rather useful to show at all times. You know (somehow) your enemy's AC at a distance. Wouldn't it have been better off to show your chance of hitting just a bit clearer? Instead, you have a color-coded arrow (red = <33%, yellow = 34-65%, green = >66% - I think).

And on that note - why can't I turn on dice rolls (for attack/saving rolls only)? I loved that part from NWN and Baldur's Gate, even though it did nothing but toss up a whole ton of numbers onto the screen at times.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »

Did some checking while I played the elf mission last night....

Withdraw only allows you to move away from a threatened square.  It is also apparantly a full action.  You only get your full movement. It would seem that Boots of Striding are in my future.

I liked having Chess mode on, but I feel that in either mode, there is too little feedback on how much damage you are taking or giving in an action.  I've had characters die on me, and I didn't know it until I saw the next init pass didn't have their name on it.  The camera moves to quickly to the next action in either mode, so I have to keep cycling back to my characters and checking their HP.

Ugh...I'm nitpicking....and I shouldn't really.  I'm still having fun buying gear and putting my characters into battle. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »

I actually restarted the game as I was getting my ass handed to me again (good thing really) on the Elf Mission.   I rerolled my team and put a better focus into my party.

I'm using

Dwarven Monk
Half Orc Barbarian  ( My Panzer Tank)
Human Cleric
Halfling Rogue
Elven Ranger
Elven Psionic

So far I am rolling in the Easting Mission and I like this group better

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

How are the Psionics in this game, anyway? Unfortunately my D&D experience is pretty much limited to the 'core' classes (so basically no knowledge into the two psychic classes). Do they have a fireball come level 5? Cause you know, that's the most important spell.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 17, 2007, 04:49:00 PM

How are the Psionics in this game, anyway? Unfortunately my D&D experience is pretty much limited to the 'core' classes (so basically no knowledge into the two psychic classes). Do they have a fireball come level 5? Cause you know, that's the most important spell.  icon_biggrin

Think Sorcerer with cool tricks. 

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

I'm playing a psychic warrior at the moment.  I like it so far.  My 2 powers are 1) give myself +1 to any weapon, and, 2) give myself a +4 to AC.  Both of which can be upped by investing more power points into them.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 05:26:41 PM »

Well, picked it up yesterday after trading in some recently completed 360 games.  So far it really does play like a handheld version of Temple of Elemental Evil, and that's fine by me.   slywink

To be honest, the interface hasn't really bugged me as much as I thought it would.  It's functional, allows me to get where I'm going fairly quickly and doesn't take up screen acreage.  However, the shop desperately needs a filter!  Scrolling through hundreds of items to buy is just annoying.  Give me the option to look at only weapons or potions when I want, darn it. 

Like Jarrod, my main character is a psychic warrior.  Lovin' his powers so far.  Very fun!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 17, 2007, 07:41:01 PM

I'm playing a psychic warrior at the moment.  I like it so far.  My 2 powers are 1) give myself +1 to any weapon, and, 2) give myself a +4 to AC.  Both of which can be upped by investing more power points into them.

Barbarians fo life, yo!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 19, 2007, 05:26:41 PM

Well, picked it up yesterday after trading in some recently completed 360 games.  So far it really does play like a handheld version of Temple of Elemental Evil, and that's fine by me.   slywink

Cool, the combat in TOEE was the reason I stuck with that game, despite other problems.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 17, 2007, 07:41:01 PM

Um...having gotten my PW up to level 3, I think they're outright broken (maybe overall, maybe just in this game). I now do +2d6 damage EVERY time I hit with my weapons, and I think it applies to both my weapons (as I dual-wield with said warrior). In addition, I have +4 AC (lasts for 600 rounds, so pretty much forever, AND it seems to stack with any bonuses), and I have a +1 weapon thanks to my powers too.

Next feat, I think I'll give myself +10 to runspeed (always useful, and since I'm sticking with Light armor anyway as I'm a Dex based warrior, it'll always work). I wonder what else is down the line as I level?

In short, is this right? Or is this broken?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2007, 10:07:25 PM »

I'm at 6th level and he doesn't seem overpowered at all.  Mainly  because he still misses a good deal of the time.  When he hits it really hurts.  I don't have a plain fighter/barbarian in my party so I can't compare to them, but my rangers BAB advances much quicker to date.  Of course I made the mistake of auto-leveling the ranger at the point where he could have gone two-weapon focus instead of bow-focus.  Oh well.  I suspect I'll play through the game again with a different combination anyway.

One thing that does bother me a bit is the lack of side-missions to date.  I did get a couple more options just recently, so it may just be that the story hasn't opened up yet.

I'm pretty sure I am approaching one mission the wrong way.  I keep getting overwhelmed.  So I decided to wander off on another side-quest and come back.  Really should take my cleric more often, but I like my bard, psychic warrior, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, and monk, too much to put him into the mix.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 19, 2007, 10:07:25 PM

I'm at 6th level and he doesn't seem overpowered at all.  Mainly  because he still misses a good deal of the time.  When he hits it really hurts.

Yeah, as a dual-wielder I don't seem to hit that often, but when a Longsword (normally 1d8 damage) can pull off a 17 point whack, I sure as heck ain't complaining.  nod

Oh, and if I may make a recommendation - either get that Cleric back into the mix, or use (abuse) the Rest feature while in a mission. You do know you can sleep any time you're not in combat, right?

EDIT: A new record - 22 and 8 damage on my PW. Apparently the off-hand weapon doesn't get the damage bonus from the Psychic feat (why?) like the primary hand does.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:39:11 PM by Destructor » Logged

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2007, 10:56:58 PM »

Oh yeah, I use the rest when I need to.  The problem with the one particular mission is that you never get a chance to rest.

I've gotten crits for 50+ several times with a single weapon on my Psychic warrior, those started happening around 3rd level.  I seem to remember the to-hit penalties for dual-wielding being -6/-6 without any of the specific feats.  So you won't hit terribly often. 

No idea on the mainhand/offhand thing.

The game is in Desparate need of a screen that shows your current numbers with bonuses accounted for.

Edit: also I use the bard as a healer as necessary.  Obviously not as good as a cleric, but I like the song buff as well.  And the knowledge skills.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 19, 2007, 10:56:58 PM

I seem to remember the to-hit penalties for dual-wielding being -6/-6 without any of the specific feats.  So you won't hit terribly often. 

No idea on the mainhand/offhand thing.

The game is in Desparate need of a screen that shows your current numbers with bonuses accounted for.

With the Two Weapon feat, and having your off-hand weapon being light, you get a -2/-2 to-hit modifier. Not exactly a bad thing once you get a few levels and a pocket Cleric who casts Bull Strength (along with the other Psychic Warrior powers), combined with a decent Strength score. smile

And yes, the game really needs an overall chance to hit number. Yeah, I can do it all manually (BaB is buried on one screen, then manually add in the strength bonuses, weapon bonuses, feats, current powers/spells on you, etc...), but it's a pain in the fucking ass.

And my Wizard is my Knowledge person. Has all of them fully trained up (go go 18 Int) short of Knowledge: Undead, which somebody else covers. Yeah, she can't tell the difference between a zombie and a skeleton, but she'll know everything else (and the HP of) on the field.

Random thoughts: Why does my Paladin do a jumping slash with his 2-handed sword? Looks really goofy in combat.

Also, I highly recommend a reach weapon (one that can attack 2 squares away) for somebody with decent melee skills, but isn't a main fighter (Bard, Cleric). That way you can safely attack without getting yourself into direct melee combat (somehow you can attack over/past your tank's head without issue). Or, if I am getting a penalty, the game sure as heck isn't telling me about it (REALLY needs to show dice rolls with all the modifiers!).

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 12:01:52 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 16, 2007, 01:16:03 PM

Welp, I was up to mindmight last night playing and I am enjoying myself.  I wish the interface was easier to navigate, but other than that I think that game is great.   The only other issue I have is the difficulty.  I took my lvl 2 party consisting of Psionic Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Bard and Wizard to the King's tomb and the recommended dungeon for a lvl 2 party kicked my ass in the end.  The Zombies and Skeletons all seemed to have maxed HP.

what is mindmight?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:11 AM »

Hmm... good call on the wizard and high int.  I'm enjoying my group so far, they are not the most optimized group ever, but I like them.

Other than the no combined current bonuses screen, my major nitpick with the game is that when your main character dies, the game ends.  Even if your other 5 party members are still up and fine.  Which makes absolutely no DAMN sense at all.  Somehow you can manage to drag all 5 of your party members to the temple to be resurrected if necessary, but if you go down your whole party just kinda wanders off and says f' it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 20, 2007, 12:11:11 AM

Other than the no combined current bonuses screen, my major nitpick with the game is that when your main character dies, the game ends.

WHAT? Boy, I feel sorry for the poor souls who chose a Wizard or Sorcerer as their 'main' with that absolutely retarded 'rule'. Thankfully mine is my Psychic Warrior, but I guess I'll need to be a bit more careful from now on...

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2007, 12:20:19 AM »

Yeah it sucks.  Actually I was thinking that it would almost be better for me to take a caster/ranged character.  That way I wouldn't be as likely to spend so much time in harm's way. 
At least the AI doesn't seem to target your main more than any other characters.

Edit: forgot why I actually was going to post this time.  I hate Erinyes.  Especially when all my characters leveled from the end of level bonus... and we start in the middle of an encounter so I can't level everyone up.   slywink I should still win.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:22:05 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »

Think I found a bug, but I want to see if other can duplicate.  Seems that you can't use masterwork ammo.  I tried using mwork arrows and mwork bullets and each time I equip the ammo it disappears and I have equip another type of ammo.

Can anyone confirm this.  Not having a issue with the regular ammo or the silver ammo only the masterwork versions

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »

Hmm... 95% sure I've used masterwork arrows at least.  Haven't used bullets hardly at all.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 20, 2007, 08:20:12 PM

Hmm... 95% sure I've used masterwork arrows at least.  Haven't used bullets hardly at all.

I have two characters who have nothing but Masterwork Arrows on them and have no problems firing.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »

Just completed the Ninth Eye Rising adventure...5 freaking
Spoiler for Hiden:
Beholders
is a BITCH!

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 22, 2007, 05:36:20 PM

Just completed the Ninth Eye Rising adventure...5 freaking
Spoiler for Hiden:
Beholders
is a BITCH!

Dear lord. One is bad enough, but FIVE?

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »

hey, what the heck am i doing wrong?  i have a cleric and i equipped him with the spiritual weapon spell.  however, when he casts it, it just sits there and does absolutely nothing.  no attack, no movement, nada.  do i need to do something after casting the darn spell?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 22, 2007, 06:52:32 PM

hey, what the heck am i doing wrong?  i have a cleric and i equipped him with the spiritual weapon spell.  however, when he casts it, it just sits there and does absolutely nothing.  no attack, no movement, nada.  do i need to do something after casting the darn spell?

You have to click on the square for the weapon to appear in.  If it's a spell that will equip your cleric with the weapon I believe you will have unequip the main hand weapon and then cast the spell.  This game is very rule specific.  I actually had to take a couple of feats for my cleric that I normally wouldn't have bothered with.  If you have a spell that requires hand movements well forgot equiping a shield unles you take to feat to be able to case spells without hand movements

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:09 PM »

Reports state that Spiritual Weapon is broken. It gets AoO, but you can't actually control it, move it, or attack with it.

Another fun (and VERY broken) fact - Druids can't shapeshift. Hope nobody took one assuming you'd get that.

And yes, as Soulchilde stated - you have to have a hand free (or the Still Spell feat, or a 2-handed weapon equipped) to cast spells.

Oh, and while I'm here, another bug - ALL metamagic feats apply to ALL spells, WITHOUT level adjustment (and you can't turn them off, either). Don't get Widen Magic if you intend to toss Fireballs around, as the added area of effect is usually killer to your own party.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 22, 2007, 08:04:09 PM

Reports state that Spiritual Weapon is broken. It gets AoO, but you can't actually control it, move it, or attack with it.

Another fun (and VERY broken) fact - Druids can't shapeshift. Hope nobody took one assuming you'd get that.

And yes, as Soulchilde stated - you have to have a hand free (or the Still Spell feat, or a 2-handed weapon equipped) to cast spells.

Oh, and while I'm here, another bug - ALL metamagic feats apply to ALL spells, WITHOUT level adjustment (and you can't turn them off, either). Don't get Widen Magic if you intend to toss Fireballs around, as the added area of effect is usually killer to your own party.

*GACK* no shape shifting?!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »

Wow, how did druids not shapeshifting get through the QA?  That would seem to be pretty easy to spot.

I'd thought the metamagic stuff wasn't working quite right.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2007, 01:12:29 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 22, 2007, 10:08:25 PM

Wow, how did druids not shapeshifting get through the QA?  That would seem to be pretty easy to spot.

The game has some VERY serious bugs in it apparently (reports state of some people casting Time Stop while under an effect of Time Stop, Concentration means absolutely nothing unless you're an idiot and cast while next to somebody, Poison and Disease just doesn't exist, and many, many other things). Too bad they'll never get fixed.

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:29 AM »

Atari....

Sigh....

Done posting
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:17 AM »

This thread is making me glad I skipped over this one today.  Had it in my hand, but decided against it.   Looks like the right choice.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2007, 05:22:20 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 23, 2007, 01:12:29 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 22, 2007, 10:08:25 PM

The game has some VERY serious bugs in it apparently (reports state of some people casting Time Stop while under an effect of Time Stop, Concentration means absolutely nothing unless you're an idiot and cast while next to somebody, Poison and Disease just doesn't exist, and many, many other things). Too bad they'll never get fixed.

Uh, only the Time Stop issue there sounds like a bug, and with "reports state of some people" as the introduction, I'd take it with a grain of salt or two. The rest of those things are design issues. No druid shapeshifting isn't a bug either, and neither is the way metamagic is handled (there's a reason the nastiest metamagic feats aren't in the game).

Even if you don't like the design decisions of the developer team, don't make it sound like the game is a buggy mess.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »

There's a difference between 'design decisions' and 'outright not following established D&D rules'. And as far as the 'reports of some people' go, I've heard so many little things wrong with this game, I'm no longer surprised if something is broken or doesn't work.

Too bad, as there's a fun game underneath all the little issues.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 23, 2007, 03:01:17 PM

There's a difference between 'design decisions' and 'outright not following established D&D rules'.

True. But they share one thing: None of them are bugs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: