http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:49:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] D&D: Tactics impressions  (Read 5416 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »

Just got the word from my Gamestop that I can pick my copy up, but I forgot to bring my psp to work with me.  Anyone have any early impressions?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:33:15 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »

Early previews on the net (don't have links with me, so this info is anecdotal for now) reported that it was so mired in rules to suck out the fun.  Add on top of that, I've not heard ANYTHING about the level design or ability to create 'scenarios' for at least six months...so, honestly, my interest has severely waned at this time. 

That said, I'll prolly still pick it up with a couple of trade ins tonight as my interest in Two Worlds is dropping fast as well.  Armed Assault looks like fun...hrmm....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »

I'll be picking up my copy soon.  Not sure when I'll get a chance to actually play it however.  If I do play before I have to work this afternoon I'll throw up some first impressions.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

There's exactly one review so far (Gamestop's mag) that gave it a 6 that I know of, so who knows at this point. Basically, it stated it was too accurate to the rules and such.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »

Going into it knowing that it'll be rules-heavy, I'm going to give it a shot.  Picked up a copy, and I'll probably play a bit when I get home.

Of course, I also want to run through the Bioshock demo at least once more, so we'll see which game wins.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:55:35 PM »

Also, I've heard that multiclassing isn't allowed...If anyone can confirm, please do so.  No Multiclassing = big drop in wanting it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »

Maybe this game is not going to sell as well as originally predicted?

Then again, maybe it was never predicted to sell well in the first place.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 15, 2007, 06:55:35 PM

Also, I've heard that multiclassing isn't allowed...If anyone can confirm, please do so.  No Multiclassing = big drop in wanting it.

Wow. That would really...bite. And that's putting it nicely.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »

When I first saw/heard of this, I was hoping for a rules heavy system.  I don't mind that part.  I want it to be turn based, on a grid, with the option to setup scenarios.  VOILA! The perfect basic simulator for a D&D tabletop game.   If they have dropped multiclassing, what other rules did they drop for complexity reasons?  No word on the scenario editor disappoints me.  That just leaves a rules heavy system locked to their world.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »

Someone on Gamespot posted this image showing a multiclassed character. Whether or not that option has since been removed has not yet been confirmed.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »

Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the game in a hour.  I will post some impressions

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:43 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 15, 2007, 08:04:13 PM

Someone on Gamespot posted this image showing a multiclassed character. Whether or not that option has since been removed has not yet been confirmed.

Interesting.  The image is old...but so is my information (I really wish I had my links here now).  According to the link, the image is from this time last year...I have doubts.  I'll wait for impressions.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »

Have game in my PSP but due to trying to track down Bioshock (w/o luck) I haven't played it yet.  Probably won't have a chance until after work.  I can get away with playing with my new Zune, but not the PSP.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »

I don't know if this is old news, but in case anyone is interested...

dndvault link

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »

Thank you....after reading that list....I feel much better about the title.  I just wish I knew how old it was.  (His current 8/8 impressions of the game don't address any of my concerns, though the FAQ mention of a DM mode makes me happy.  )

Even if I have to use preset maps, DM vs the players would be cool for Multiplay.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 15, 2007, 10:46:35 PM

Thank you....after reading that list....I feel much better about the title.  I just wish I knew how old it was.  (His current 8/8 impressions of the game don't address any of my concerns, though the FAQ mention of a DM mode makes me happy.  )

Even if I have to use preset maps, DM vs the players would be cool for Multiplay.

Just rolled up a few different characters and I didn't see a option to multi-class or dual class.  I'll see what's up once I level. As for impression I rolled up a half elf psion warrior and jumped into the game.  You can roll up as many charaters as you want, but quest seems to have a character limit.  The first quest I just completed had me taking out some goblin brigands.  I grabbed a cleric and went hunting.  Travel is handled like Tales of the World.  You basically warp from town to different areas.  AI seems decent.  My PC must have failed their spot checks as the goblins used stealth to sneak up on my Cleric.  Combat seems okay amd not overly cpmplex if you know D&D. The manual which I haven't really read seem sparse.  Basically no information on classes and abilities, but everything is explained in game, but a nice manual would have been nice. We took out the three goblins and headed back to town.  XP seems kind of high as they awarded for killing the goblins, not losing a PC and obtaining a chest.  I got XP for each.

Anyway, that's early impressions...more later

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 11:25:26 PM »

Sounds good.  Since I wasn't able to get Bioshock today I'll dig into this instead  nod

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »

So this game is similar to other "tactics" type games, correct?

I know this is a subjective question, but about how many gaming hours do titles like that typically have?   Are we talking like 20 hours before you've finished the game, or is it normally much longer than that?

LD

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 12:31:42 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 16, 2007, 12:25:26 AM

So this game is similar to other "tactics" type games, correct?

I know this is a subjective question, but about how many gaming hours do titles like that typically have?   Are we talking like 20 hours before you've finished the game, or is it normally much longer than that?

It obviously depends on the game, but I'd say most SRPG titles are longer than your average game.  I'd say they average 30-50 to just get through, and 70-100 hours for the completist.  Hell, between my 2 playthroughs, I've put nearly 200 hours into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 12:37:18 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 15, 2007, 11:12:57 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 15, 2007, 10:46:35 PM

Just rolled up a few different characters and I didn't see a option to multi-class or dual class.  I'll see what's up once I level. As for impression I rolled up a half elf psion warrior and jumped into the game.  You can roll up as many charaters as you want, but quest seems to have a character limit.  The first quest I just completed had me taking out some goblin brigands.  I grabbed a cleric and went hunting.  Travel is handled like Tales of the World.  You basically warp from town to different areas.  AI seems decent.  My PC must have failed their spot checks as the goblins used stealth to sneak up on my Cleric.  Combat seems okay amd not overly cpmplex if you know D&D. The manual which I haven't really read seem sparse.  Basically no information on classes and abilities, but everything is explained in game, but a nice manual would have been nice. We took out the three goblins and headed back to town.  XP seems kind of high as they awarded for killing the goblins, not losing a PC and obtaining a chest.  I got XP for each.

Anyway, that's early impressions...more later

3rd edition D&D, unlike AD&D, doesn't have multiclassing and dualclassing in the way you probably expect. There is only multiclassing, and you don't make any choices about this at level 1. Report back once you hit level 2. smile

I've already bought this game, even though I don't have a PSP yet...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 12:47:37 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 16, 2007, 12:37:18 AM

3rd edition D&D, unlike AD&D, doesn't have multiclassing and dualclassing in the way you probably expect. There is only multiclassing, and you don't make any choices about this at level 1. Report back once you hit level 2. smile

Very good point.

Now, remember kids - uber Warriors are Rangers who turn into a Fighter class at level 2 (free Ambidex and Two-Weapon Fighting feats at level 1 just for being a Ranger). biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 12:52:13 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 16, 2007, 12:47:37 AM

Very good point.

Now, remember kids - uber Warriors are Rangers who turn into a Fighter class at level 2 (free Ambidex and Two-Weapon Fighting feats at level 1 just for being a Ranger). biggrin

Not in this game! D&D 3.5 removed that loophole.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 12:55:51 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 16, 2007, 12:52:13 AM

Quote from: Destructor on August 16, 2007, 12:47:37 AM

Very good point.

Not in this game! D&D 3.5 removed that loophole.

Yeah, you beat me to my edit - forgot they fixed that in 3.5.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 01:39:42 AM »

Well,  my PC hit lvl 2 and unless I missed it I didn't see a option to multi-class

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:02 AM »

Okay....got the fiirst two adventures under my belt.  Impressions:

They accomplished goal 1 for me - Porviding ALL the tabletop options at one go in a turn based environment.  YAY!  Neither Temple of Elemental Evil or NWN 1 or 2 did this.  They took shortcuts with some abilities and more...  It isn't the portable D&D toolkit that I wanted.  It is more like the Eye of the Beholder GBA game.  And I liked that one.  So far, I'm liking this.  I wish the graphics are a little clearer.  Review to come.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 01:16:03 PM »

Welp, I was up to mindmight last night playing and I am enjoying myself.  I wish the interface was easier to navigate, but other than that I think that game is great.   The only other issue I have is the difficulty.  I took my lvl 2 party consisting of Psionic Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Bard and Wizard to the King's tomb and the recommended dungeon for a lvl 2 party kicked my ass in the end.  The Zombies and Skeletons all seemed to have maxed HP.

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 16, 2007, 01:16:03 PM

Welp, I was up to mindmight last night playing and I am enjoying myself.  I wish the interface was easier to navigate, but other than that I think that game is great.   The only other issue I have is the difficulty.  I took my lvl 2 party consisting of Psionic Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Bard and Wizard to the King's tomb and the recommended dungeon for a lvl 2 party kicked my ass in the end.  The Zombies and Skeletons all seemed to have maxed HP.

Okay...see, I'm about to run that quest, and the first thing I thought was 'I need to bring +1 (aka Magic) weapons with me.'  I expected possible incorporeal creatures. smile   Now I'm looking forward to putting some of my gold to use and hiring another cleric to go with me. smile  Turn Undead FTW! 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 16, 2007, 02:32:55 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 16, 2007, 01:16:03 PM

Okay...see, I'm about to run that quest, and the first thing I thought was 'I need to bring +1 (aka Magic) weapons with me.'  I expected possible incorporeal creatures. smile   Now I'm looking forward to putting some of my gold to use and hiring another cleric to go with me. smile  Turn Undead FTW! 

Yeah, carefully with the quest. After I wiped I decided to run the Elf quest instead.  Probably will start over after I get a better feel fo rthe game, but I am liking it.

NiM$
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »

Thanks for the early impressions. Sounding better and better! I would have picked mine up last night but the local store I have my preorder at shipped all it's copies to their sister store across town (and I ran out of time). I'll pick it up today. Can't wait!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »

I did the elf quest first then came back to hit the tomb one. Only one of my people have a +1 weapon at this point my rogue has a +1 Short compound bow. Almost forgot you should use blunt weapons with Skeletons, and Slashing with Zombies. Aside from that everyone else is using masterwork or worse type weapons we seem to be doing well though that might have to do with my group make up. 3 Dwarf Barb, 3 Human Druid, 2 Human Paladin, 2 Human Cleric, 2 Gnome Wizard, and 2 Elf Rogue. I have to say the druid was a great choice another healer and they get a companion I call her dog "flanker" with that high AC and super movement thats what he does. Oh I figured out how to scribe scrolls for my wizard in case any of you go with a wizard after you buy them and give them to the wizard you have to go into an adventure and then go to magic and there'll be an option to scribe scrolls. Had been trying to figure that one out for a while now.

On a different note I'm freaking loving this game. Briefly we were getting our asses handed to us on the elf mission, my party is a lot more melee oriented then ranged. Well finally get to the "boss" he had been kicking our asses soon as we spotted we paid for every step we took towards him and finally we had arrived. Killed his underling and moved on him. My guys are all pretty banged up but we need to take him so I move Kragnar (my main) in to is his area. Thinking ok now I'll get my paladin up here and dog as well. Didn't need to what do you know Boss guy takes a shot at my druid and Kragnar one shot critted him on his aoo (attack of oppurtunity). I got kind of loud after that, though in truth I doubt my PSP cared whethered I pwned it or not.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:12:25 PM by Ascendent » Logged
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »

So far, there are only two game mechanics missing - the ability to 'run', and the ability to multiclass a character.

Run =  (from the SRD)  You can run as a full-round action. (If you do, you do not also get a 5-foot step.) When you run, you can move up to four times your speed in a straight line (or three times your speed if you’re in heavy armor). You lose any Dexterity bonus to AC unless you have the Run feat.

Darn shame that isn't in there. 

No Multiclassing

This is the option that really hurts.  Multiclassing made custom classes fun.   Argh....

More as I find it.  Still having a ton of fun playing this one.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

Is the option to withdraw there? It's similar to run in some ways, and it lets you avoid AoOs from the *first* square you leave. I find it to be very useful for weaker characters.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 16, 2007, 04:51:31 PM

Is the option to withdraw there? It's similar to run in some ways, and it lets you avoid AoOs from the *first* square you leave. I find it to be very useful for weaker characters.

Yes,  you can withdraw.  I've not used it yet, and may test it just to see how it works.  It may make up for the lack of a pure Run option.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 05:20:56 PM »

I always use step when I'm within another's aoo range you can take one step without provoking aoo. I do miss the run ability though but I just take the double movement as run at least thats the way we used to rule in my old game. One action and half movement or double movement no action.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »

If i absolutely loved the gameplay in Temple of Elemental Evil (and I mean LOVED), should I get this game?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »

I got through the tutorials, but no further.  <sigh>  Then I took an extra shift today so no free time til after midnite.  The PSP and the game taunt me from my bag.  crybaby

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 16, 2007, 09:22:58 PM

If i absolutely loved the gameplay in Temple of Elemental Evil (and I mean LOVED), should I get this game?

I think so.  This title is even closer to the rules out of the D&D handbook than ToEE was (and ToEE was a valiant effort).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 11:21:15 PM »

I just picked up a used PSP (only $80, so glad the slim is coming out so the prices are falling so much) just so I can get some of these new tactics games coming out...it took a couple years but the PSP finally has a decent game list than I'm interested in.  Did the question of multi-classes get answered yet?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 11:31:15 PM »

Quote from: ericb on August 16, 2007, 11:21:15 PM

I just picked up a used PSP (only $80, so glad the slim is coming out so the prices are falling so much) just so I can get some of these new tactics games coming out...it took a couple years but the PSP finally has a decent game list than I'm interested in.  Did the question of multi-classes get answered yet?

Where'd you find a used one for $80, if you don't mind me asking.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »

Quote from: ericb on August 16, 2007, 11:21:15 PM

Did the question of multi-classes get answered yet?

Multi-classing is NOT supported, which can seriously 'nerf' some races, as some are built around being able to multi-class freely. There's also no school choosing as a Wizard or Psion.

Also, for those of you on the fence on this - keep in mind that this game is VERY rules heavy. The game makes it easy to play, but the game does very little in actually telling you what's going on behind the scenes. It also doesn't tell you some important things (what exactly IS my BAB for example - yeah, you can figure it out if you factor in all the bonuses, but the game doesn't actually TELL you it anywhere).

After putting in some time with it (and absolutely loving it, don't get me wrong), having put at least a little bit of time into 3.0 or 3.5 is almost required. Can you play without the knowledge contained within the handbooks? Yeah. Will you enjoy the game anywhere near as much as somebody who knows the rules? No.

In short - this game plays almost EXACTLY like the Gold Box games of (very) old did. If me mentioning those words made your heart jump with excitement, you'll love this game.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: