http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:19:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSP] Daxter!  (Read 2432 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

Anyone going to pick this up?  I may pony up the dough if I can find it on sale (maybe Fry's?).

Gamespy gives it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

This is the action/platformer we've pined for on PSP. With amazing graphics, an entertaining story and uber-accurate control, it's virtually flawless and its appeal knows no bounds.

and....almost zero load times!  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »

This is a good month for the PSP. I'm interested but I think I am going to pick up Syphon Filter first.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »

Syphon Filter first for me too.

Can't wait to hear the impression in here!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »

Daxter looks great!  So does Syphon Filter.  Damn you PSP!  I guess I'll just wait for the PS2 port of Daxter............................

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »

Picking up both Daxter and Syphon Filter this week.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 01:50:19 AM »

Ha ha, lil Daxter got his own game?? Awesome!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:39:41 AM »

I can't believe there are two must-have PSP games coming out on the same day...

One day before I fly to TX! Sweet airplane gamin!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »

Lord knows we need it.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
I can't believe there are two must-have PSP games coming out on the same day...

One day before I fly to TX! Sweet airplane gamin!

I'm flying tomorrow as well and just bought Age of Empires for the DS to play in the airport. Sure, it may be a bit geeky for a 30 year old man like me to walk around playing a bright red DS, but it sure beats the hell out of reading the Davinci Code like every other traveller.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 06:19:03 PM »

I called Gamestop and he sounded a little iffy on Daxter and Syphon Filter arriving today. That would suck if I couldn't get my hands on them before departure tomorrow morning. I sure hope he's wrong!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
I called Gamestop and he sounded a little iffy on Daxter and Syphon Filter arriving today. That would suck if I couldn't get my hands on them before departure tomorrow morning. I sure hope he's wrong!

Already picked up my copies at GS so good luck!
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 08:07:44 PM »

Just picked up Daxter and tried it out for about 10 minutes.

The graphics are just awesome and the animations are great as well.
There are really no load times, when you talk to someone it takes about
2 secs for it to load.  

The best part so far for me is the sound.  It is one of the best sounding handheld games.  The sound effects are really awesome from the wind blowing to Daxters footsteps. and the voice acting really draws you in.

I thought about syphon filter and may pick it up later.  I am playing GRAW so I didn't feel like another shooter.

Go Daxter.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 11:19:39 PM »

Got mine today along with Syphon Filter. I'll try it on the plane tomorrow!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »

Wow, is this game great.  Just might be the best of the series.  

Any fans of pure platformers want to check this out.  It is much more akin to the focused gameplay of Jak 1 and Sly Cooper 1 then the later entries in those series.  And the level design is amazing- I've played four or five levels (each one is fairly long) and each has introduced a new mechanic to the gameplay that makes each level unique while building on the foundation of the previous levels.

And the graphics- wow, easily the best I've een on the PSP.  Doesn't look too far off from its console counterpart.  Animation and framerate are completely fluid, the game has almost zero loading, and it even loads from sleep mode without missing a beat.

Difficulty is just right too- even if you die, you start not far from where you left off so no replaying long sections just to get to the part giving you trouble.  

Just an outstanding game all around.  I'd love to see developer Ready at Dawn continue the Jak and Daxter series on the PS3 while Naughty Dog moves onto a new IP.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 06:54:31 PM »

I'm having a hard time choosing between this and syphon filter, both of which are getting reviewed through the roof.

Has anybody tried syphon filter yet?  Or better yet both games?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 06:56:23 PM »

Wow, this one came out of left field for me....guess I'll have to pick this one up!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 08:21:44 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
I'm having a hard time choosing between this and syphon filter, both of which are getting reviewed through the roof.

Yeah, I picked up both yesterday.  I did all of the training missions in SF (including unlockables) and the first two missions of the campaign.  I'm definitely liking what I see there and look forward to playing more but Daxter definitely grabbed my attention more.  Then again, I love a good platformer so...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 09:48:22 PM »

Ohhhhh, I love platformers! So now I need a PSP too??

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:27 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, I picked up both yesterday.  I did all of the training missions in SF (including unlockables) and the first two missions of the campaign.  I'm definitely liking what I see there and look forward to playing more but Daxter definitely grabbed my attention more.  Then again, I love a good platformer so...

Ugh, this has been an expensive enough month the way it is... now it looks like I'll be blowing 100 bones tomorrow picking both of these up.  Thanks Kevin, you suck smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »

Ugh, this has been an expensive enough month the way it is... now it looks like I'll be blowing 100 bones tomorrow picking both of these up.  Thanks Kevin, you suck smile

Well each game is only $40 bucks so now you thank me for saving you $20! smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »

I played the game a bit last night and I really like it.  Game looks great graphically and the two sites I have gone to were very nicely done.  I played around with the vehicle/bug spray level, but was very tired and so didn't complete it and time.  I also have Syphon Filter, but didn't play it yet.  I also need to go get Mega Man Powered Up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »

This game is just plain fun!  I've put several hours into it and so far I love it.  I agree with the comments about the difficulty - it's just right for me and I never feel like I have to replay very far when I die.

The load times are amazing for a PSP.  I timed it from the time I started the game in the PSP browser until I was able to play my saved game: 1 minute.  That's it.  I don't know how they do it but it's freaking miraculous.

My favorite parts so far are the dream sequences.  The first one from The Matrix had me giggling but I really didn't expect Braveheart in the second.  The humor is spot-on in this game.

I really can't wait for Daxter II.  Who the hell cares about boring old Jak?
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »

I give Daxter a big thumbs up too.  The character animation is great, the levels are just right for a portable game, and like others have said the load times are really fast.

I've noticed they hide the loading by starting to preload as you reach the entrance to a new level.  Listen to the UMD start to spin up as you blow through cobwebs with the flamethrower...pure genius.

That and Me and My Katamari have eaten up a lot of my time lately.

Should finish them just in time for..May's batch of good games.

(really looking forward to monster hunter)

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 03:32:54 AM »

This game finally got me to buy a PSP (well, that and I finally got around to selling my old series 1 tivo with lifetime service).  I love 3D platformers and I get frustrated at games that are too difficult, so it was perfect for me. smile

My only beef with the game is that the rewards for collecting everything aren't great.  When I finished the story I was at 85% or so completion.  I had over 900 orbs, and I doubted that I would be able to do too well in the dream sequences, so I just looked up what the rewards were on the net and I don't feel too bad stopping where I did.

I got burned collecting all the orbs in the original Jak and Daxter, so I didn't want to make that mistake again.

It did, however, finally get me to pick up Jak II again.  I got frustrated by it when I initally played it because of the driving, but after playing Daxter I wanted to see the story (even though Daxter had a spoiler).  I've been enjoying it and am at about 50% completion...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 09:27:13 PM »

So I finally finished off this game last night.  Overall it was a really great platformer - one of the better ones I've played on any system in recent memory (although I've never played any of the previous Jax games on the PS2).  The graphics, sound, level design, and presentation was all top notch.  My usual problem with platformers - losing interest near the end due to repetetiveness, was largely not a problem thanks to the variety of stuff to do - it kind of reminded me of Rayman 2 in the respect.

My only real beef was the lack of any sort of ending.  The story was interesting up to that point, and the cutscenes right before the end battle seemed to indicate they were building to something - but after the last boss battle (which was excellent, btw) the game just ends....

I tried the Bug Battle last night too, and it was kind of fun - although I wished you could do more single player wise than just fighting a single cpu controlled bug of the same level.  Being able to level up the bugs via experience against the computer would be a nice little distraction....

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 04:42:25 AM »

figured i should work on my mediocre platforming skills before r&c: size matters arrives, realized i probably couldn't do better than this, & finally picked it up. very impressive - the camera & controls are just about perfect. if r&c:sm is anywhere near as nicely done as this, i'll be very happy...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: