http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 04:49:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4, XB1, PC] Evolve (from Turtle Rock)  (Read 1442 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

This months Game Informer cover
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/07/february-2014-evolve-768796.aspx

From the Left 4 Dead folks, a 4 v 1 multiplayer game where 4 hunters take on one player controlled super monster.  Seems a bit like Predator or Ogre done as a FPS.

For some reason I imagine Hark will greatly enjoy playing the monster.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:26:25 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

It's not just 4 vs 1 Monster.

There's a whole bunch of other enemies that populate the maps and target both human Hunters and Monster, including things that make the Monster a snack.

Both hunters and monster have their own objectives to fulfill.

The monster is interesting in that he has to hunt and kill the local enemies to grow stronger and heal, while the hunters come after him. But those same hunters have to deal with the local fauna.

The monster also has interesting mechanics, like if it runs, it will leave tracks and as well as making noise. Hunting and killing fauna will cause carrion birds to circle around, giving away your position.

So those 5 player matches will be more interesting than just hunting each other. There's going to be some interesting interplay between all these systems.

Heck, I think I'm really going to enjoy this game since I really enjoyed the crazy asymmetrical multiplayer games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which will have some similarities.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 08, 2014, 01:10:25 PM

[...] Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which will have some similarities.

This is the first thing I thought of. Loved playing the Kabuto in LAN games, eating sheep and getting bigger, then swatting helicopters down and nabbing pilots. I also enjoyed running around with some of the players impaled on my spikes - they don't die right away, so they got kind of a twitch gaming experience (IIRC).

Thing is, there were two different races for the non-monster, and that was part of the fun of that game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »

I think they'll be positioning the local deadly fauna as something like that third team. In Giants, it was just other players and you couldn't rely on those players to target both the other sides equally. Leave that to the AI and an AI director and things will be more interesting.

Although in this game, it's looking like the Monster won't get quite as big as Kabuto, and its sounding like the maps will be as large as Giants, but probably even more covered in flora. Don't quote me on that, but it does sound like maps have some open elements. With the monster smaller, and more able to hide, it could lead to more awesome cat and mouse, since they're putting in a lot of systems that seem to want the hunters to track down the monster as it does its thing.

The monster only wins if he kills all 4 hunters at the same time, otherwise I think it was every 2 minutes, from the time of last death, that they respawn in by helicopter drop.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »

Some shots and concept art

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/10/evolve-preview-meet-the-goliath.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »

Gameplay footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNHw9VoXqsw

Same footage but with text overlays instead of an audio discussion, so you can better hear the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_wmklRY2JXI
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:28:01 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »

The game wasn't on my radar until watching the latest gameplay trailer which shows a match: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ks2g3z/evolve-sixth-channel---gameplay-trailer

Being the goliath seems like it'll be a lot of fun. Looks like they did a fantastic job at balancing the game while making it very tense for both groups.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »

I look forward to playing this with a group
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 24, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

The game wasn't on my radar until watching the latest gameplay trailer which shows a match: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ks2g3z/evolve-sixth-channel---gameplay-trailer

Being the goliath seems like it'll be a lot of fun. Looks like they did a fantastic job at balancing the game while making it very tense for both groups.

Oh man!  This is looking more and more incredible.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »

HQ video for download can be found here http://www.gamersyde.com/news_evolve...-15236_en.html
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »

Honestly thought this sounded dumb, watched the video and am impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

All these preorder bonuses make me sad since I want games digitally.  Both this and Watchdogs have tempting preorder stuff.  Why can't I just preorder from MS on XB1 then download day one and get my stuff? so silly
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »

Kotaku has a new preview.

http://kotaku.com/evolve-feels-different-every-time-i-play-it-1579031913

I was not aware that not only are there different classes, but different characters within those classes, so you aren't just limited to playing your class.  the differences are noticeable too.

Lazarus is interesting in that, as developers Turtle Rock Studios cheerfully admitted to a group of journalists last week, he's terrible at healing. He's got the medic class's special healing burst, but no other active healing abilities to speak of. Not like Val, who can target her teammates to heal them individually as needed. Instead, Lazarus uses something called a Lazarus Device to bring downed characters back to life. But hunters will go down a lot faster with Lazarus around than when Val is on hand. What he lacks in healing abilities he makes up for with a personal cloak and a silenced sniper rifle. As a medic you can create weak points on a monster by shooting at it. Lazarus is at his best when he's able to stay hidden and revive teammates back from the dead, as they will surely find themselves dead quite often..

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

Also, I didn't see here that the release date is October 21st, so a lot sooner than I expected.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2014, 02:13:05 PM

All these preorder bonuses make me sad since I want games digitally.  Both this and Watchdogs have tempting preorder stuff.  Why can't I just preorder from MS on XB1 then download day one and get my stuff? so silly

What are the alluring preorder bonuses for this one?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »

A skin for the monster and a new monster at a later date.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

Damn, that is alluring.  Well, October is a long ways away.  Hopefully the digital preorder situation will change by then.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

I thought I read that destiny will be the first psn game available for predownloading. Oh ya, no one asked that question, did they?  retard
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

not only did nobody ask that, but it has nothing to do with this thread AND is incorrect info.  We could see pre-loading on Ps4 for Watchdogs next week even, still hasn't been made offical.

Also preloading and pre-ordering are not the same thing at all.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

When I first heard about Evolve I didn't think much of it, but watching the new trailers that have come out this week has piqued my interest considerably. It looks like a really fun, polished multiplayer experience. I love the graphics, too.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »

I like the idea of the game, I'm thinking that pickup games with random players might be a tad contentious due to the high level of co-op required by the hunters.  Be super fun to listen to developmentally challenged teammates curse your every move.  I think it would be super fun with a good group though.  To bad for me that it is hitting the streets at the busiest time of the year work wise for me, no playing until mid-November when my schedule returns to normal or something close to it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »

A lot like L4D was, and Dead Island: Epidemic, I think this will be amazing fun for a solid group.  We can rotate who is the monster.

You just need to learn to not sleep or play at work! slywink  (aren't you retiring soon?  hurry up already! We miss ya)
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 03:45:06 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2014, 11:26:42 PM

A lot like L4D was, and Dead Island: Epidemic, I think this will be amazing fun for a solid group.  We can rotate who is the monster.

You just need to learn to not sleep or play at work! slywink  (aren't you retiring soon?  hurry up already! We miss ya)

The obvious answer is to sleep at work, I mean what can go wrong at a nuclear power plant?  Yes one year to go before I retire, plan on traveling after that so will see if there is room for the XB1 on the bike.  I am going to try the geezers play BF4 on Saturday night.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 23, 2014, 03:45:06 AM

The obvious answer is to sleep at work, I mean what can go wrong at a nuclear power plant?  Yes one year to go before I retire, plan on traveling after that so will see if there is room for the XB1 on the bike.  I am going to try the geezers play BF4 on Saturday night.

Don't worry, there's someone down in sector 7G that has this figured out.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 04:25:51 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 23, 2014, 04:19:57 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on May 23, 2014, 03:45:06 AM

Don't worry, there's someone down in sector 7G that has this figured out.

That bird is a scab taking the place of highly qualified union workers!  Everyone turn off your modems and routers to stick it to the electric company as a show of support for the blue collar downtrodden masses.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »

I'm very excited about this game.   ninja
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »

Delayed to Feb 2015

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 05, 2014, 08:30:00 PM

Good News.

Just in time for me to have burned out on Destiny (and possibly COD).

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »

been accepted into the alpha starting tomorrow on the xb1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 01:53:24 AM »

I'm interested to hear some opinions out of this "big alpha", assuming some balancing and changes have happened.  I went from "definitely buying" based on previews to "holding off" after trying the last one.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »

Pretty sure Jarrodhk and I will be trying this out tomorrow

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »

Got my first few matches in, Assault, Support and Monster.  Here's the Monster run

http://www.twitch.tv/harkonis/c/5401814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIsgdG83Fk
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2014, 12:05:17 AM

Got my first few matches in, Assault, Support and Monster.  Here's the Monster run

http://www.twitch.tv/harkonis/c/5401814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIsgdG83Fk

Hark, saw the invite, but was heading out to work.  Should have time to play tonight

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »

Delayed on PS4 due to some troubles with latest firmware.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 04:56:52 AM »

For anyone interested, put one of these in Steam:

CODE for PC:
XJL75-Z35R8-R7FA9
XJL7X-5C4XG-KQ47F
XJL8I-2FVN3-W5YE0
XJL92-BB4VL-MA6FJ

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »

So my ~3 hours impressions.  Itís really enjoyable but gets old pretty fast.  I see this as the new Titan Fall.  A game with fun gameplay but very little long term staying power.  
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

I haven't played the alpha yet, but I was a little worried about that. I spent one night watching gameplay videos and by the end I was less excited than when I started. It looks neat, but I got tired of Titanfall after a month. I can imagine this would wear out its welcome even more quickly than that.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 12:20:51 AM »

I see this as a great game to keep around for irregular play, especially at the rare lanparties my friends still throw. Better than left 4 dead for the task since there's 1 more player and it's versus.

Unfortunately, that also means keeping around extra copies for such occasions, and it's hard to convince people to pickup a game without single player content.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: