http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:58:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Bloodborne (previously known as Project Beast)  (Read 951 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »

This is an unusual one. A leak about a new game by From Software and Japan Studio appeared on 4chan, of all places. Leaks over there are usually just ignored because they are often fake, but this one has a bunch of real-looking screenshots and is corroborated by hints dropped by other sources all the way since last year, while other respectable sources seem to be confirming this as real right now.

Here's the NeoGAF thread about it, which is now turning into the source for most media outlets who comment upon the story.

It does look very much like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in its visuals, but with much higher fidelity and apparently a different time period. There seems to be stuff like shotguns in there, for example.

The rumors are so far saying that this is, for all practical purposes, Demon's Souls 2, and that it's PS4 exclusive. Can't wait to hear more about it. smile

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:01:15 AM by TiLT » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »

Yeah this is looking to be true.  Also rumor is the director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is the director on this.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »

So....
http://a.pomf.se/jvcape.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YvHBxv-3Y

eek eek eek eek eek
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »

I think Sony just got a major announced exclusive in their lineup.

Both consoles finally look to be ready to fight where it really matters, the games.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »

It's the exact same music. There's no doubt that it's Demon's Souls 2.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 30, 2014, 12:42:50 PM

It's the exact same music. There's no doubt that it's Demon's Souls 2.

The music was added by the youtuber and wasn't in the original webm, I'm pretty sure.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »

This game was, unsurprisingly, officially announced at Sony's E3 conference (link to trailer). It's no longer known as Project Beast, but is now called Bloodborne.

The reveal doesn't actually show any gameplay, but based on the previous leaks, it's pretty safe to say that this is a game in the Souls style, but with a Victorian steampunk setting.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »

It's funny, the earlier leaked video looked much like a new Dark Souls game, but the E3 trailer just looked like a gory horror game.  I wish they had shown the actual game, but I suppose it's too early for that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »

They're showing off more of the game during E3, so don't worry.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »

So is this in fact Demon Souls?  I can't watch any streams at work so I'm just curious.

And for those of us with 360's only last go-round, what do I need to know about Demon Souls?

If it is pull your hair out hard, like I understand Dark Souls is, I'll pass.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 10, 2014, 06:40:36 PM

So is this in fact Demon Souls?  I can't watch any streams at work so I'm just curious.

And for those of us with 360's only last go-round, what do I need to know about Demon Souls?

No it's a new IP from the Demon's Souls team.  Dark Souls was an evolution off of Demon's Souls, this sounds like the next evolution.

from Famitsu (via neogaf)

- Spring 2015 release window
- They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony's new hardware
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- They're targeting 30fps at 1080p
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
- There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
- Character customization is confirmed
- There will be no map display in the game
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:46:19 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »

That's not really what these games are. The only people who'd get that experience are those who try to rush through the levels. They get punished hard. The Souls games reward patience and tactical play, and as long as you can offer both those things, you'll be fine.

And yes, this game is likely to be a true Souls game, except in a new setting.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 10, 2014, 06:42:25 PM

No it's a new IP from the Demon's Souls team.  Dark Souls was an evolution off of Demon's Souls, this sounds like the next evolution.

from Famitsu (via neogaf)

- Spring 2015 release window
- They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony's new hardware
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- They're targeting 30fps at 1080p
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
- There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
- Character customization is confirmed
- There will be no map display in the game
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together

Thanks!  Sounds great, as long as it doesn't have the super big learning curve the others had.

(Tilt, thanks for the explanation, all I've ever heard about these games is their great, but only for die hard gamers that can take time to learn a crap load of stuff to progress at all)

I, like many of you, have a family with kids and only game on Friday and Saturday night really, so the idea of playing a game with a steep learning curve isn't very appealing. 

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »

Nah, there's no steep learning curve. You can jump right in and begin to play without any issues. There's a deep leveling system going on, but you can play for many hours before you have to start looking much at that. The Souls games are decidedly Japanese in their game rules (specifically talking about the stats and their use here) though, which means that they are complex but don't follow any sort of real-world logic. This means that you're going to have to read up on the stats eventually (descriptions available in-game) if you don't want to gimp your character long-term. Still, you can play for quite a while without having to bother about that as long as you follow a progression that seems to make sense for your class.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »

Screenshots
Screenshots

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

Hands on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtzLXg9AB0&feature=youtu.be
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »

God Damn it! I so want to love these games. But to those people who say with Dark Souls if you just take your time and learn the moves you will not have a problem I call BS. At least BS for me. I'm a very methodical player and yet in DS I just died over and over and over. I grind my way to a new area like New Lordos and just get wiped immediately. I've been playing these games for 30+ yrs. I'm not an idiot. But DS just crushed me. Yet I love the idea of these games and 80% of them I love. I so wish they would have a real easy mode. The purists would scream bloody murder but if it's optional I can't see who it would hurt. Go ahead and flame me if you want.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

All the folks who have seen the E3 demo have been absolutely glowing so far.  The gametrailers guy can barely contain himself.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 10, 2014, 11:35:19 PM

God Damn it! I so want to love these games. But to those people who say with Dark Souls if you just take your time and learn the moves you will not have a problem I call BS. At least BS for me. I'm a very methodical player and yet in DS I just died over and over and over. I grind my way to a new area like New Lordos and just get wiped immediately. I've been playing these games for 30+ yrs. I'm not an idiot. But DS just crushed me. Yet I love the idea of these games and 80% of them I love. I so wish they would have a real easy mode. The purists would scream bloody murder but if it's optional I can't see who it would hurt. Go ahead and flame me if you want.
I got sucked into Dark Souls when it first came out.  It's very unforgiving, and at times incredibly frustrating.  It's also a dreary gaming experience without much sense of hope, by design.  It requires a level of precision that most rpgs don't.  The biggest requirement is dying...a lot.  Just as you said.  Dying over and over again to learn what to do (unless you consult a walk through guide).  The player has to be ok with that...dying a ton. 

As soon as I started to feel confident I would enter a new area and be humbled again until I learned what to do.  Or I would struggle to match what my brain knew it had to do with the timing and precision of actually doing it.  I think you have to be a tenacious glutton for punishment, or have a really good sense of humor to make it through the Souls games (or both).     

If you like that style of gameplay, but are not a fan dying over and over again, Dragon's Dogma is a nice alternative.  It's a bit easier, with faster paced combat.

I don't know how FromSoft could preserve the esscence of the unforgiving game experience while having an easy option.  I think that's their entire marketing hook.  Be prepared to die and all that.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »

I wanted to like Demons Souls but just couldn't hack it - something with the setting/levels just didn't click with me.
When Dark Souls came out I jumped in with both feet and loved the game.
When I got stuck I headed to YouTube to look for tips and tricks etc. That alone made my 140+ hrs with the game highly enjoyable and rewarding.

I'm far form hardcore and am 'old' slywink

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 11, 2014, 08:28:13 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 10, 2014, 11:35:19 PM

I got sucked into Dark Souls when it first came out.  It's very unforgiving, and at times incredibly frustrating.  It's also a dreary gaming experience without much sense of hope, by design.  It requires a level of precision that most rpgs don't.  The biggest requirement is dying...a lot.  Just as you said.  Dying over and over again to learn what to do (unless you consult a walk through guide).  The player has to be ok with that...dying a ton. 

As soon as I started to feel confident I would enter a new area and be humbled again until I learned what to do.  Or I would struggle to match what my brain knew it had to do with the timing and precision of actually doing it.  I think you have to be a tenacious glutton for punishment, or have a really good sense of humor to make it through the Souls games (or both).     

If you like that style of gameplay, but are not a fan dying over and over again, Dragon's Dogma is a nice alternative.  It's a bit easier, with faster paced combat.

I don't know how FromSoft could preserve the esscence of the unforgiving game experience while having an easy option.  I think that's their entire marketing hook.  Be prepared to die and all that.

This is basically it.  Dying is a tool.  You don't get punished significantly for it, except for being put back much further than you'd probably like. 

I got pretty far into the first one, but the second one just seemed a little much to me, for some reason.  It may be because I put enough time into the first one that the idea of really doing it again was exhausting.  That's the thing: you've got to have time and patience to make it through these.  I don't have enough of either any more.

Although I do wish they did away with the background aspects of the game.  There was that whole system in the first game with the white something that would build up and it would trigger something and there were some weird hoops to jump through to increase your stats.  That whole side of it was overly complicated and mind numbing.  I'm still confused by it, clearly.  The second one had the campfires but you also had to have the kindling for it or something.  IIRC, they streamlined that for the third one, but I stopped paying attention by then (Was there a third one?).

Of course, the setting for Bloodborne seems like something I'll respond to more, and I have essentially skipped everything since the first one, so I'm sure I'll try it again.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 12, 2014, 12:36:43 PM

I got pretty far into the first one, but the second one just seemed a little much to me, for some reason.  It may be because I put enough time into the first one that the idea of really doing it again was exhausting.  That's the thing: you've got to have time and patience to make it through these.  I don't have enough of either any more.

You're touching on an important point here: Your goal in these games shouldn't be to actually complete them. I haven't completed any of the Souls games. I've barely gotten halfway. These games are all about the journey, and you should stop when it begins to overwhelm you.

Personally, I react very, very poorly to adrenaline (it makes me physically ill and severely reduces my gameplay performance), and the Souls games force me to take frequent breaks for this reason. I'll often be in a reduced state for hours afterwards. On the other hand, I do enjoy the games, but after a while I just can't take it any more. These games are about the small victories for me. Reach another bonfire! Take out another boss! Find a useful item! Getting to the final boss has never been a realistic goal for me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »

I joined the warrior of sunlight covenant in DS just so I could help make life easier for other players during boss fights that I struggled through solo.  It's a different game when you have some co-op help.  No shame in summoning other players for some of those fights (Ornstein & Smough!).

The trailer for Bloodborne looks good.  I like the possibility of mixing melee and ranged weaponry.  Bummer that it doesn't come out until 2015.  E3 is such a tease.       
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

The old TGS 2013 trailer leaked from when it was still Project Beast http://www.onlysp.com/new-trailer-leaked-ps4-exclusive-bloodborne-looks-fantastic/
You can see a marked improvement in graphics in the 5 seconds of footage we got from E3, but still this gives you a pretty good idea about the game I think.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »

I keep debating what my most anticipated game of next year is and Bloodborne may be it. It's between Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Dragon Age, either way that's going to be a lot of action RPG goodness.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

Dragon Age is this year, and that game doesn't look appealing at all. I'm not alone in feeling that way either, as there has been almost no talk about that game in games media since E3 started. The trailer alone showed how different it still is from the glorious first game in the series, with comic-book superheroes somersaulting, dive-stabbing and doing all kinds of "press X to AWESOME!" things that make it look like they've learned nothing at all since DA2. Also, it's EA.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited about Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. Probably more for the latter than the former, but I'll take both. smile
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 13, 2014, 12:57:00 PM

Dragon Age is this year, and that game doesn't look appealing at all. I'm not alone in feeling that way either, as there has been almost no talk about that game in games media since E3 started. The trailer alone showed how different it still is from the glorious first game in the series, with comic-book superheroes somersaulting, dive-stabbing and doing all kinds of "press X to AWESOME!" things that make it look like they've learned nothing at all since DA2. Also, it's EA.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited about Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. Probably more for the latter than the former, but I'll take both. smile

The gameplay on DA3 looks like it's styled after ME3, which is ok with me. But hey I liked DA 1 and DA 2 (even though they are very different), so I may not be the best person to ask when it comes to the DA series.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 13, 2014, 01:05:14 PM

The gameplay on DA3 looks like it's styled after ME3, which is ok with me. But hey I liked DA 1 and DA 2 (even though they are very different), so I may not be the best person to ask when it comes to the DA series.
I liked most of DA2, except the teleporting spawns of enemies, reused dungeon tiles, and the ending.  I really liked DA1, but I'd be surprised if EA would ever let the series go back to that.  If we can't have DA1, I'm ok with similar to ME3. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »

"press X to AWESOME!"
I need that for real life. nod 
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

Gameplay trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsqQtqwP9E&feature=youtu.be
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:58 PM »

With lots of new details about this game coming out, one of the more interesting new features, compared to the Souls games, is how the health works. If you take damage, your the health you lost turns yellow and starts depleting. If you can deal damage to an enemy, any enemy, you regain the yellow health immediately. This is meant to encourage you to play offensively instead of the traditional defensive play that Souls promotes. The designer described the health not as physical health, but as some kind of despair. As an enemy lands a hit on you, you begin to despair, but you can regain some of your hope and faith in yourself by dishing out damage on your own. Dropping to zero health means you've succumbed to your despair and given up all hope.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »

6 min of gameplay

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »

Looks fantastic. smile
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Man that sword hammer,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5o8jwqKsDE
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »

I've been invited to an alpha to this (no NDA anywhere yet) and sadly, have no interest in it. It seems a lot like Demons Souls, which I never could get into. I'll be sure to report back if there is no NDA on actual gameplay.

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

Release date announced at TGS

Feb 6, 2015

There's also a new trailer up

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 18, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Feb 6, 2015

Oh is there?  ninja
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 18, 2014, 04:04:34 PM

Quote from: Caine on September 18, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Feb 6, 2015

Oh is there?  ninja

Figured it was something older.  I almost skipped posting it and just point people over to Polygon for the video, too. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: