http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Knack  (Read 768 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »

It doesn't seem like we have a thread for this game yet, and since several of us are playing it I figured we might as well have a dedicated thread for it.  smile

So far I'm up to chapter 3-4 and it's pretty good and meeting my expectations.  Some frustrating moments that I have to play over and over again, but mostly fun platformer fight-y action.

I was a little afraid when I heard that it had a fixed camera, since often that is poorly done, but so far that hasn't been a problem at all and I generally don't think about it.

I have yet to collect enough pieces for any of the gadgets, but I have several pieces for different ones.  They mentioned something about friends helping you find parts, but I haven't really figured out how that works yet. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:32 AM »

I think Knack is a nice tech demo to show particles and tons of objects on screen (although Resogun is better at that), man they really missed some gameplay bits.  Not only are the ranged enemies ultra accurate and you have no normal ranged attach, but the check point system is awful and forces you to replay sometimes long, frustrating sections instead of spawning you where you died.  I find the gameplay to literally just be double jump > air attack and that's it.  Am I missing something?  Really disappointed in this.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 16, 2013, 02:34:32 AM

I find the gameplay to literally just be double jump > air attack and that's it.  Am I missing something?

I definitely do a lot of that in certain sections.  Some enemies also kind of require the use of the right stick to dodge, and the main swinging attacks do more damage than the jump-bounce thing.

I've also gotten to the part in the game where you get to be really huge and it's kind of awesome just wrecking on everything.  biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:03:52 AM »

I was definitely surprised at how unforgiving it could be. Looks nice, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:06:43 AM »

I have the game, but I haven't played it yet. It's on the docket for tomorrow though smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:19:08 AM »

Rev3 didn't mind it, though the story and acting got knocked.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 05:41:41 AM »

I saw a little white carving on a wall that was in the shape of Knack's head...anybody know what that's about?  It was sort of out of the way and I couldn't interact with it in any way that I could figure out.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »

After all the bad reviews, I was really regretting this purchase, but I gave it a go last night, and I have to say I kind of like it.  I think it should have released at $30 (or even as a $20 PSN game), but there's a lot of fun here.

I even like the story and characters a lot more than I was expecting.

It's not a dazzling showcase of graphics and sound at all, but I'm enjoying the gameplay and collection aspects.

However, Engine posted in another thread that most of the collectibles can't be picked up without a second player.  That is just terrible and will spoil my enjoyment quite a bit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 16, 2013, 02:42:03 PM

However, Engine posted in another thread that most of the collectibles can't be picked up without a second player.  That is just terrible and will spoil my enjoyment quite a bit.

Hmmm... guess I'll have to talk the wife into playing it with me.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »

...I think it should have released at $30 (or even as a $20 PSN game)...

Agreed.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »

I'm sure this game will become a free PS+ game sooner rather than later.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 16, 2013, 02:51:48 PM

No, you guys just need to add me as a PSN Friend (as Machane) and then get ahead of me so I can benefit from your play throughs.  smile   (or the fact that I'm already near the end of chapter 4 can benefit you, heh)

I'm still not exactly clear how the collectibles work since nobody on my limited Friends list has played much, but every time you find one of those chests I think if a Friend has gathered it you may get a choice between what they found and what you found or something?  Or maybe you just get both?  It's a random system with pieces for several different gadgets, so even being able to choose pieces to complete one you have parts for would be a help.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »

After all the bad reviews, I was really regretting this purchase, but I gave it a go last night, and I have to say I kind of like it.  I think it should have released at $30 (or even as a $20 PSN game), but there's a lot of fun here.

I even like the story and characters a lot more than I was expecting.

It's not a dazzling showcase of graphics and sound at all, but I'm enjoying the gameplay and collection aspects.

Yeah, I played this the most out of everything yesterday and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  Like you say, it's not dazzling in the graphics department or anything super new, but a fun action platformer is refreshing.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »

I just glanced at the thread title and now I have "My Sharona" stuck in my head.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 16, 2013, 05:22:24 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 16, 2013, 02:51:48 PM

No, you guys just need to add me as a PSN Friend (as Machane) and then get ahead of me so I can benefit from your play throughs.  smile   (or the fact that I'm already near the end of chapter 4 can benefit you, heh)

I'm still not exactly clear how the collectibles work since nobody on my limited Friends list has played much, but every time you find one of those chests I think if a Friend has gathered it you may get a choice between what they found and what you found or something?  Or maybe you just get both?  It's a random system with pieces for several different gadgets, so even being able to choose pieces to complete one you have parts for would be a help.

Yes, the collectables seem to be random and if a friend has already hit that spot you can either choose from what you found or what they found.  I'll send you a request when I get back online tonight.  icon_cool

-craig

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 16, 2013, 03:10:28 PM

I'm sure this game will become a free PS+ game sooner rather than later.
In Japan, they're already getting this game as a pack-in when the PS4 comes out in February so I would have to agree with you. I'm looking forward to getting it for free shortly. smile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:27:01 AM »

Enjoying it more after playing chapters 3 and 4. A little more variety in environments, enemies and abilities. Leo is right in that the jump attack is a little too much of a universal solution to just about any encounter. There are also a number of enemies whose pattern is double punch/slash then leave themselves open to get killed. However, I have started to see some other enemy types so hopefully that will change. But I don't think I've seen any that can't be killed with the jump attack.

The game really does look nice - there is a shot at the opening of chapter 5 that is a fly-in over a forest and it looked incredible. That said, there are some really surprising slowdowns in the game. In a boss fight where it was just Knack vs. the boss the game was suffering really bad frame rate drops.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »

I've made it to chapter 12-3 so far.  I think there are 13 chapters so I should be able to finish it off tomorrow.  I've been playing a lot of hours so I don't feel bad about that at all. 

And I've enjoyed most of it, other than the frustrating parts where they have bad respawns several rooms back

I have been able to complete 4 Gadgets on my own, which is more than I thought I would.  Not nearly enough Crystals to finish any of those things, though. 

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »

I am enjoying it so far. I'm in chapter 4 right now and I am having fun. More importantly, my kids love it....since I got it mainly for them. I'm quite happy with my purchase. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 17, 2013, 08:52:27 AM

I have been able to complete 4 Gadgets on my own, which is more than I thought I would.  Not nearly enough Crystals to finish any of those things, though. 

Read that there's a "new game plus" since it could take multiple runs through the game to get all of the collectables.

-craig

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »

I've found some rooms that Teggy has been to before me and it gives you a choice of what's in the box you found or taking the item that they found. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:54 AM »

I finished this today and enjoyed it more than expected. 

They really do a good job of playing with scale towards the end of the game (including the final boss).  You get so giant that normal humans are like bugs and things you used to think were giant pains in the ass become 1-punch fodder.

Upon completion it opened up a Level Select, Time Attack and Colosseum mode as well as the New Game+ thing.  I started to play the first few levels again and it looked like I was collecting just Crystals in secret rooms I had previously collected Gadget parts in. 

I don't think I'll be willing to play through it all again, but I definitely realized how much I had learned and how much easier those enemies had become since I knew how to play so much better.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »

Knack completed. From what I was hearing about the final boss I was worried, but I managed to get it done in 5 or 6 tries. Game was fun, but I think because it had limited abilities it would have benefitted from being a bit shorter. Every chapter seemed to go on one sub-chapter too long.

I agree with reviewers, it's not a great game, but there's fun to be had beating stuff up, and the cutscenes are nice.

I did feel like they left us hanging with
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lucas' mother. It felt like there was something to that story and they just left it out

Oh, I should mention I played the game almost entirely via remote play. Worked really well since it only used the face buttons.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:33:09 PM by Teggy » Logged

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

I want to play 'Knack', though from the two posts above, it's what I suspected--A $30 dollar platformer.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 22, 2013, 07:23:30 PM

I want to play 'Knack', though from the two posts above, it's what I suspected--A $30 dollar platformer.

My guess it will show up on PS+ eventually, so unless you are starving for something to play on the PS4, you're probably fine waiting.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »

My review: http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/falling-apart-knack/

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »

Poor Knack. All the reviewers seem to hate it but all the players seem to think it's at least average.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »

Eh, expectations were raised by some pretty key platformers late in this last gen. Rayman, Mario, etc.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

Yeah so I got this for Christmas and I really don't understand the hate it gets.  It is very average, pretty much the definition of a 3 star game IMO but  I really have no idea what was up with those 3/10 reviews, those seem way way too harsh, this should be firmly in 6-7.5 territory.  Reviewers just come across as too eager to bash something for the launch games.  I've played much worse this past year that reviewed much better.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »

Yeah, as mentioned above I tend to agree. 

Morgul

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »

I love this game.   I know it is supposed to suck but I think is awesome.   I want a knack t shirt.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: