http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:38:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall  (Read 3799 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 24, 2013, 09:08:05 PM

that's freaking awesome.  not only the loading time, but the fact they finally got the damn game warnings to the credits.  PS3 games easily take up a chunk of time just to tell me all the usual crap about auto-saving and every company even remotely associated with it. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 04:08:09 AM »

Combine this with the instant startup from sleep mode for games, and deciding to boot up and play a game should no longer feel like a hurdle. Nice! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 04:14:27 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2013, 01:40:00 AM

I would have loved to try the download option for this game, but at 40 GB for one game I'll have to pass. 

at least they managed to cut the size down

If 40GB sounds like a large file size, van der Leeuw explained that it could have been significantly bigger had the studio not reassessed its data management systems.

"I think at some point the disc image that we were generating was around 180 gigs," he said. "And if we would have put all the levels in, which we didn't, because then the disc image generator broke, it would have been around 290 gigs of data."

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:22 AM »

I wouldn't take that quote too seriously. They were probably using uncompressed textures at that point, which is unreasonable for any video game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »

There's been a change to the framerates in this game, btw. Multiplayer is still locked at 60 fps, but singleplayer is no longer locked at 30. It now renders as fast as it can, staying roughly between 35 and 40 and never dropping below 30 from what we're being told.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2013, 10:10:39 AM

There's been a change to the framerates in this game, btw. Multiplayer is still locked at 60 fps, but singleplayer is no longer locked at 30. It now renders as fast as it can, staying roughly between 35 and 40 and never dropping below 30 from what we're being told.

Sounds good to me! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

I was able to pick the game up yesterday from Gamestop, as Sony has removed all street dates for their games and accessories for the PS4 launch. I also picked up the Dualshock 4 controller. smile

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »

So I guess you can sit in front of your TV with the DS4 and pretend your smoking Helghast for the next couple of weeks.  Tongue
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »

I think this will be funnest MP game on the PS4 for some time. I liked KZ2-3.  So much fun playing with other people with this game in the past.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 04:27:31 AM »

Well, based on all the good footage available for this one I decided to preorder it.  I don't play may first person shooters on the console (preferring a mouse and keyboard), but I figured this looks to be the standout game of the PS4 launch so I might as well get it.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »

It's too bad this wasn't terrible.  It would have been a fun drinking game seeing all of the "Shadow Fail" headlines.

Also, I have to say after hearing about the "launch into game" stuff, I'm finding current games even more annoying.  I'm hoping that really takes off.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 31, 2013, 01:11:51 PM

It's too bad this wasn't terrible.  It would have been a fun drinking game seeing all of the "Shadow Fail" headlines.

Every time I see this thread my mind immediately thinks it says "Shadow Fail".

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:06 AM »

There's still time yet for it to fail. Guerrilla Games has proven its inability to write a decent story since KZ2 even if they've finally gotten the technical aspects down.

The game could very well turn out like Crysis. Technically sound, but overall lacking any soul, with a stupid and ridiculous story.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 01, 2013, 08:16:06 AM

There's still time yet for it to fail. Guerrilla Games has proven its inability to write a decent story since KZ2 even if they've finally gotten the technical aspects down.

The game could very well turn out like Crysis. Technically sound, but overall lacking any soul, with a stupid and ridiculous story.

If they just remove Rico, we'll be good!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

This game takes place 30 years later or some such, so I think we are safe from Rico, cameo at best I'd guess.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 01, 2013, 08:16:06 AM

And the difference to this compared to just about any other FPS "story"? I mean really Battlefield and CoD are massively popular. Do people really get into the crazy Michael Bay plot lines of either of those?

Outside of maybe Bioshock it doesn't matter much to most players IMO.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:27:43 PM by Jumangi » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »

It matters, especially for games competing with CoD and BF4 as you say. Heck, Bioshock games are carried on their stories.

It's like WoW. CoH and BF4 has that mindless shooter market locked down. You can't compete with it.

So you're only other option is to go for the shooter market that does care, or wants a different type of shooter.

Even KZ1 actually had good character stories on top of the war story. They tried pulling the CoD crap in KZ2 and 3 and those had lots of problems.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »

Well for the most part I think your a part of a minority. The rise and popularity of the FPS genre is not based on story and characters. Even Bioshock's designer Kevin Levine said they had to make a great shooter first with quality game mechanics at its core.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »

Well of course I'm part of a minority. But what you have to realize is that the majority is already locked up with CoD and BF2.

Bioshock is a decent to mediocre shooter. They got the mechanics down solid, but the series is carried by the world building, story, and characters.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

I'm like Turtle.  Of course I will play MP, but the general sameness makes it feel like a grind after a while.  I'll come back to it down the road and find the people who have been playing since it came out will take me down before I even have a chance to orient myself.

I do play through the story of these games, and I'm generally very entertained by them (though the annoying side missions in that last CoD almost kept me from completing it).  In fact, a couple of MW games generated quite a bit of buzz with their SP stories (due to some shocking sequences).

I, too, am usually looking for something a little more in a FPS these days.  And I usually don't bother with the MP aspects of those for more than a fleeting moment.  I don't think I played the last Killzone's MP for more than an hour, for example, if that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »

I just saw on the PS blog that MP starts with all guns available.  I like the sound of that.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

As for the sameness of single player shooters these days, I have to agree. On the other hand, Killzone Shadow Fall is taking things in a different direction than BF4 and CoD. This is more like the Crysis games, giving you open areas with the freedom to choose your own approach and solutions. That alone should make it more interesting as a game experience.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »

Well, they're really seeing themselves apart with their MP policies. All weapons unlocked at the start, and all future maps are free. I hate the way some games fracture their community for profit with maps.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »

No argument there. All credit to Sony for not trying to get on the pay for DLC/Premium that so many 3rd parties are doing.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »

Well it's not all roses.  Th co-op mode is going to be paid dlc it looks like.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »

The first co-op pack was confirmed as free to buyers. They announced that future ones will cost extra. At least that's what I remember reading anyway.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »

High res 60fps video of multiplayer dowload.
http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2013-11-04_new-hq-footage.html
Direct link
http://killzone.dl.playstation.net/killzone/kzsf_multiplayer/KZSF_HIGHTBITRATE_H264.zip
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:24:28 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 04, 2013, 07:22:55 PM

You know, after playing some Battlefield 4 on my work PC over lunch and then watching this video right afterwards, this really wasn't that impressive.  And it's not like my work PC is that beast, it has a video card (Nvidia Geforce GTX 570) that debuted nearly 3 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, Killzone looks good, great even, just not quite as groundbreakingly good as I would expect for the best looking game on the eve of new console launches.  I love my PC, but when the console is supposed to last 5-10 years I really want it to be cutting edge for at least a year.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 05:39:06 AM »

Keep in mind that this is the multiplayer mode where they have reduced graphical detail to have 60 fps, and is one of the less graphically interesting maps as well. Take a look at previously released videos of the map where you fight other players in trenches and tunnels in the dark. That looks much more impressive with its massive particle effects and fancy lighting.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

Video tutorial highlighting tools etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcrmqW7MKM
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »

Wow, that is an awesome video. Really shows how far Killzone has progressed as a shooter.    thumbsup

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

Just got an email from amazon that this shipped to me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

I guess this is as good a time as any to respectfully ask that you guys post things that could be considered spoilers for the game in spoiler tags once the PS4 is released this week. Normally I would just stay out of a game's thread until I got my hands on it myself, but this time we're being forcefully separated by 2 weeks for when we get to play, and I'd really like to read people's impressions without getting spoiler in the process.

I might not be able to play it for myself this week, but I'd like to at least take part in the excitement.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 10, 2013, 02:33:50 PM

I guess this is as good a time as any to respectfully ask that you guys post things that could be considered spoilers for the game in spoiler tags once the PS4 is released this week. Normally I would just stay out of a game's thread until I got my hands on it myself, but this time we're being forcefully separated by 2 weeks for when we get to play, and I'd really like to read people's impressions without getting spoiler in the process.

I might not be able to play it for myself this week, but I'd like to at least take part in the excitement.

thumbsup

Not a problem!

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 05, 2013, 12:30:26 AM

You know, after playing some Battlefield 4 on my work PC over lunch and then watching this video right afterwards, this really wasn't that impressive.  And it's not like my work PC is that beast, it has a video card (Nvidia Geforce GTX 570) that debuted nearly 3 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, Killzone looks good, great even, just not quite as groundbreakingly good as I would expect for the best looking game on the eve of new console launches.  I love my PC, but when the console is supposed to last 5-10 years I really want it to be cutting edge for at least a year.

wow I'm not liking the movement of the 60fps.  It feels disjointed and jerky.   If that's where we are headed, then I'm not going to be too pleased.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 10, 2013, 03:24:29 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 05, 2013, 12:30:26 AM

wow I'm not liking the movement of the 60fps.  It feels disjointed and jerky.   If that's where we are headed, then I'm not going to be too pleased.

Once again I'm confused. You don't like 60fps? Jerky?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

I haven't seen the video, but naednek may be referring to the fact that higher framerates tend to make animation priorities and transitions more pronounced.  It's one step down the uncanny valley: the smoother and more "natural" some things get, the worse it looks when a character model breaks the illusion by snapping from "Running" to "Argh, I'm hit!" movements.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »

There's also the element that we've grown up with 24fps movies and games that play mostly around 30fps.

You are literally seeing more information to process.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:26 AM »

In any case, the game is still only roughly 40 fps in single player.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »

/tap

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: