http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall  (Read 4098 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

First, it's Killzone.

But interestingly, they're switching up the formula this time. Not only are the graphics better, but they've changed the way missions work. While not quite open-world, each mission will be a larger area with many pathways through them, you can tackle objectives in different orders across the map. The effects of handling one objective affects later objectives.

This is to fit in better with the main character, who is a Shadow Marshall, basically a Vektan elite operative that works independently.

From the press conference, you'll also be teamed up with with your counterpart from the Helghan refugee side, a female Helghan agent, as you both try to uncover who is trying to start the Helghast war again.

The main character, no longer just a grunt, has a lot of toys at his disposal. First of which is his drone companion, the Owl, which seems to have many functions. So far they've shown a fixed defense shield you can shoot through, a zipline that you fire seemingly anywhere, a stun attack, and a basic attack mode where it shoots enemies.

You also have a scanner that you can ping to show the positions of enemies, which seems a bit too powerful, but whatever, it's a game. Other suit abilities are a slow motion mode.

The touchpad on the DS4 controls the drone.

The speaker in the controller will actually have radio chatter come through it as well.

They have also moved the shooting to the actual triggers this time, instead of where a lot of PS3 shooters had to put shooting on the shoulder buttons due to the poor quality of the triggers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:11:41 PM by Turtle » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

I didn't like Killzone 2 much, but this looks somewhat cool.   The little robot that can make ziplines anywhere is kind of neat.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »

IN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »

What's the word on MP? Similar to KZ1 and KZ2?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

No word on multiplayer at all. However, they said it will be a big part of KSF as it was a very popular element of KZ2 and 3.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:58 AM »

Oh yeah I meant 2 and 3 smile

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »

Multiplayer trailer.  This looks a lot more interesting than the latest CoD to me.  Really going to be between this and BF4 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F7GFs0i5A&feature=c4-overview&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:52:05 AM »

Also, they've come and said multiplayer DLC maps will be free

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2013-08-20_gamescom-multiplayer.html
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:48:34 AM »

Thank goodness. I hate the very idea of paid maps. Maps are supposed to get more players to play and keep things fresh. Making them paid does more to exclude and fracture the player base. Maybe with the weird community for CoD style games does that work, but not if you're trying to build community.

Sure, maps do take work and money to make, but find some other way to monetize DLC packs instead of maps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:52:48 AM by Turtle » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

Some multiplayer shots

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »

Here's one of the cool new things about the new generation: Take any of those pictures forgeforsaken just posted and open them in their own window. This will (hopefully) show them at their full size, which is 1920 x 1080. Now this isn't unusual for preview screenshots. They are often taken at ridiculous resolutions that aren't actually possible because of them being console games. This time however, this is exactly the resolution we'll be playing the game in. This is what it'll look like on our TVs. smile
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »

*chirp* have some multipeplayer footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE
*chirp*
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 23, 2013, 05:28:14 PM

*chirp* have some multipeplayer footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE
*chirp*

Can't wait to play this with the new Dualshock. Hopefully we can get a good group of folks playing.

Didn't it used to only chirp for headshot kills?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

Not sure, but the chirp is useful since the battles are so hectic.

Also, nice to see them give some usage to the Helghan rifle and its underslung launcher. Noticed that you can get a homing missile to fire from that launcher, useful for taking out drones. Hopefully they'll still have the classic shotgun attachment.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

Gametrailers did a full show on it
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/h2m36j/gt-tv-killzone-shadow-fall

Gameplay looks markedly better than past Killzones.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »

This has the potential to be the "best" launch game this generation. It's looking really solid and fun, and nothing on either platform compares when it comes to graphical quality.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »

Apparently, this is a much older build that they're using. Things like the rain effects are actually way better in the multiplayer beta currently going on.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 18, 2013, 03:45:40 PM

Apparently, this is a much older build that they're using. Things like the rain effects are actually way better in the multiplayer beta currently going on.
The rain in the Gametrailers preview was the only thing that didn't look really good, and was a stark contrast to how great the rest of it looks visually.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »

Yeah, this game is looking to be the best game visually out of all the games on both systems. The footage on gametrailers looked incredible. Can't wait to play this game. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 18, 2013, 03:45:40 PM

Interestingly, the multiplayer has reduced graphical fidelity compared to the singleplayer game, so that bodes well for the real rain effects. smile The reason for this is that they wanted 60 fps for multiplayer, but decided to stick with 30 fps in singleplayer so that they could make better graphics for it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:54 AM »

That's kind of a best of both worlds situation. There's people out there with serious hard ons for 60fps. 60fps is great, but not needed for everything. I'd still rather have better graphics in certain cases. But in MP, 60fps is very helpful.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 19, 2013, 05:17:54 AM

That's kind of a best of both worlds situation. There's people out there with serious hard ons for 60fps. 60fps is great, but not needed for everything. I'd still rather have better graphics in certain cases. But in MP, 60fps is very helpful.

I have a HUGE hard-on for 60fps. I've tried acclimating myself to 30fps gaming by limiting the framerate in my PC games to 30, but it's a futile endeavor... it's like night and day to me. Until 60fps is the standard on these consoles I won't take them seriously. 

I'll still be buying Killzone, though, as I'd like to invest in the platform's exclusives. It is, afterall, the reason I'm buying a PS4.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:41:26 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »

I should also add that, while this game looks like a run-of-the-mill shooter as far as mechanics, it does look like it'll have an interesting world to explore. I like what I'm seeing in the trailers.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »

Eh, I'm just getting it for graphics and basic FPS gameplay. I've lost any trust in Guerrilla Games to use any of the good story and characters of the previous games. There was a whole awesome backstory written while they were making KZ2, and even the original KZ1 had somehow managed to weave in an interesting character story for everyone amid the invasion story. All abandoned in KZ2 and 3 to put Rico as another stupid meathead that Fs up everything.

I really do like 60 FPS too, and I actually think it'll happen a lot for this gen, once developers and their tools mature. Right now, everything is just partially optimized since most stuff is cross gen. Even the games that are full next gen are still pretty new to hardware.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »

Q&A from the PSBLOG:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/21/killzone-shadow-fall-your-questions-answered/

I was not familiar with the game's timeline.  Makes me hopeful there won't be a Rico.  Thank goodness!!!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »

Considering Rico would be around 60, yeah he might only have a cameo.

The situation of KZSF is actually closer to the start of KZ history, where you have a planet divided along racial lines between supporters of an Earth dominated colonial system, and hardliner and isolated colonists.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »

Looking sweet! eek
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »

Story trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyibMjn7YE
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

Lots of previews today, pretty much everywhere.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/a-gutsy-story-changes-your-perspective-of-killzone/2300-6415717/
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/24/killzone-shadow-fall-is-beautiful-and-challenging

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:47:00 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »

The two uppermost screenshots you posted are from the multiplayer mode too, so they are actually running at 60 fps in glorious 1080p. smile

Edit: Looks like the 4th shot is MP too.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »

Speaking of multiplayer, big preview video here, lots of footage and info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSsjCBxArE
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »

Can't wait for this!  drool drool drool

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »

The PLayGo download looks to be 7.5 GB, with the whole game clocking it at 40 GB for those digital buyers.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »

pretty shots.  I may be picking this up as my 2nd PS4 game and going PC for BF4. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 08:55:41 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 24, 2013, 07:44:13 PM

The PLayGo download looks to be 7.5 GB, with the whole game clocking it at 40 GB for those digital buyers.

This is probably going to be the norm going forward. Even getting a single chapter/level of a game going requires a large amount of resources, and the size of these resources will be expanding dramatically with this generational transition. Textures are the worst culprit, with each one now possibly being many times (8+) that which we had on PS3 and 360.

Not only that, but one of my biggest pet peeves of current gen, poor sound quality, is probably also fixed. This means sound will take up more space. The extremely low sample quality on console games these last few years has really stuck out for me, so I'll be glad to see (hear) that come to an end.

So expect most AAA games to require you to download several GB of data before you can start playing. Anything else would be unrealistic. The only way around this is stuff like Gaikai, where Sony have said that they want us to be able to use Gaikai to play our new games as they download (from the first byte downloaded if we want to), then let us continue our save games on the downloaded game once playable.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 24, 2013, 07:44:13 PM

What is PLayGo? NM I googled.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »

No loading times or pre-game logos:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killzone_shadow_fall/news/killzone_shadow_fall_has_no_loading_times_and_pre-game_logos.html
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

Three different approaches to the same scenario.  I'm disappointed with the lack of melee take downs in the stealth run though.

Stealth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMA2_tFbgEo

BadAss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uLqniziDw

Fall of Keyser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAWTVWGM9BM
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »

You know what, yesterday I pre-ordered CoD Ghosts. Then I realized I was getting this and today I cancelled my CoD preorder. Not like I'm going to play 2 shooters at the same time.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »

I would have loved to try the download option for this game, but at 40 GB for one game I'll have to pass. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: