http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 01:06:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 8513 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »

I did love it.   My only complaint is that there is not enough separation between being good and being evil.  It's only minor differences and your appearance really doesn't change.  I think they could have done a LOT more with this, and I seem to remember the first game being more stark in this regard.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 25, 2014, 07:02:31 PM

I did love it.   My only complaint is that there is not enough separation between being good and being evil.  It's only minor differences and your appearance really doesn't change.  I think they could have done a LOT more with this, and I seem to remember the first game being more stark in this regard.
Congrats on the platinum.  I'm not usually able to tolerate all of the many requirements that need to be done to platinum a game, but that's not the case here.  Infamous:SS is the first game that I actually want to do everything.   
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

inFAMOUS increased system sales by 106% percent in the UK.  Sounds like it's a system seller after all!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 25, 2014, 09:55:03 PM

inFAMOUS increased system sales by 106% percent in the UK.  Sounds like it's a system seller after all!

The honeymoon has certainly not worn off for me.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 26, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »

I can see where doing the side mission stuff would get repetitive - it's the same problem that plagued AC4. However, that's a little bit self-inflicted. Last night I decided to just stop the side stuff hamster wheel and hit the main missions again, and that broke the monotony. It's still really fun though. Unlike Assassin's Creed, I always feel in danger when entering combat.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 26, 2014, 12:09:54 PM

I can see where doing the side mission stuff would get repetitive - it's the same problem that plagued AC4. However, that's a little bit self-inflicted. Last night I decided to just stop the side stuff hamster wheel and hit the main missions again, and that broke the monotony. It's still really fun though. Unlike Assassin's Creed, I always feel in danger when entering combat.

I usually spend about half my play time collecting side stuff and the last half doing story missions. It's a good mix for me. But then again I obsessed over all the collectibles in ACIV as well, so this is my type of game to begin with.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »

NEON!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

I'm doubting my ability to get all trophies. I spent a good 15-20 minutes last night rampaging on cars to get the "Destroy 5 in 5 seconds" trophy. I swear to god I did it like 10 times but no trophy popped.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 26, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

I'm doubting my ability to get all trophies. I spent a good 15-20 minutes last night rampaging on cars to get the "Destroy 5 in 5 seconds" trophy. I swear to god I did it like 10 times but no trophy popped.

I found a parking lot on the west side of town near the water where there were 10 or so cars parked next to each other. The trick is to hit all 5 within 5 seconds. It was easy there. Just jump in the middle and do a slam.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 26, 2014, 02:32:33 PM

NEON!

It's pretty amazing
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »

I finished on normal last night.  All good karma.  I really like the game.  So much so that I was bummed when it ended.  I've never finished an open world game with all of the main and side content completed.  I just don't have that completionist drive that some people have.   I was done with everything in Second Son by the time I went into the last part of the game.  That's a first for me.  There's not a lot of content, especially side stuff compared to a game like AC4.  But I don't think that's all bad.  I finished AC4 and was nowhere near complete on the side content, it was getting too tedious.    

I didn't clear the districts because I felt like I had to...I did it because I was having a good time.  Some of the side content isn't awesome (didn't care for the secret agents), but most of it was fun.  I especially liked the audio logs and the district showdown billboard events, I just wish they had done more with those.  It would have been cool to have both the audio logs and showdown phone call conversations turn into separate side quests where you get to work with or meet them.  

The graphics were amazing.  I was standing on top of the tallest building in the city last night, panning the camera around enjoying the view.  No fog of war, very, very little pop-in, awesome lighting and shadows.  This was a big technological leap forward for consoles.  And it will hopefully keep getting better.

The powersets were a lot of fun.  In order of use these are the powers I relied upon:
1.  Neon.  Not even close.  This is really powerful for a good karma character.  Long range with aiming slow down, aoe crowd control, one of the best traversal methods, the best karma bomb (a true 3d area of effect), and all of the powers look good.  Excellent karma building options for a good Deslin.
2.  3rd power.  I used this one a lot towards the latter half of the game.  Lots of good options.  Another very good karma builder for a good character.  This one is more close range than Neon, with an excellent R1 ability.   The traversal takes some getting used to, but can be very effective, especially once I got the hang of using it in conjunction with the L2 and X abilities.
3.  Smoke.  Whether this is a favorite or not, you will have to use this power during some scripted parts of the game.  I liked it, but it was too indiscriminate for me playing a good karma character.  Fully ranked up it can be a decent karma builder with the L1 grenade, headshots from R2, and the dash subdue upgrade.  I still think this power is more tailored to the evil karma player.  Both Neon and the 3rd power are better imo for general traversal, but Smoke can be decent if there are vents around.
4.  4th power.  I canít say anything without spoiling it.  Iíll just say that it looks cool, but doesnít seem as good as the previous 3.  No karma upgrade options.  R1 doesnít have an ammo capacity upgrade option like the other powers.

Iíve never big fan of staged, self-contained boss fights, especially the multi-phase variety.  SS has this type.  I like the challenge, but they can get tedious working through the different stages of the fight.  I donít find this type of boss fight fun in general.  There not terribly hard in this game, but some just werenít fun to me.  Now the graphics, sound, music, and overall theatrics of the boss fights were well done.  

Iím going to start an evil karma expert game tonight.  Iím looking forward to playing without having to worry about restraint.  Should be fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:35:49 PM by Roguetad » Logged
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 26, 2014, 02:37:00 PM

Quote from: JayDee on March 26, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

I found a parking lot on the west side of town near the water where there were 10 or so cars parked next to each other. The trick is to hit all 5 within 5 seconds. It was easy there. Just jump in the middle and do a slam.

I'll try this, thanks.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Karma bombs, for when you just don't want to deal with a scripted encounter.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »

The PS4 controller can be used to do a lot of gimmicky things but the sound "whooshing" from the TV screen to your controller speaker when you drain a power source is pretty damn cool.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 26, 2014, 07:47:09 PM

The PS4 controller can be used to do a lot of gimmicky things but the sound "whooshing" from the TV screen to your controller speaker when you drain a power source is pretty damn cool.
Hearing the spray paint ping-pong ball bouncing around inside my controller was really cool.  That never got old to me.  More of that please.  Could you imagine the controller making the magazine loading and slide rack sound for reloads during a shooter?  Having unit/ally communication come through the controller is awesome too.   
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »

Yes, this is the game that changed my mind about the XB1 controller being better overall. There are still many things I love about the XB1 controller over the DualShock, but the built in speaker on the DS is awesome, and I even like the touchpad features. Most importantly, however, my hand doesn't seem to cramp as much with the PS4 controller.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2014, 03:43:32 AM »

yeah, it's a huge improvement over the DS3, but I was really impressed with it while playing on the PC instead of using the 360 controller.  if they'd only put out decent driver support it would be my go to controller there as well. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »

Can't wait to see what's after neon! This game is incredible .
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 27, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »

So a comet drop off of the space needle is not 150 metres? Or do I need to hit someone with it?

EDIT: I'm trophy whoring if it isn't obvious.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 27, 2014, 12:59:59 PM

So a comet drop off of the space needle is not 150 metres? Or do I need to hit someone with it?

There's only one place in the game where you can get that trophy: (semi-spoilery for the final part of the game. Nothing serious)

Spoiler for Hiden:
After finishing the game's story, climb the DUP HQ skyscraper again, and launch into the antenna to boost into the air. Boost sideways off the building and immediately plunge down.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Thank you sir.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 27, 2014, 01:14:56 PM

Quote from: JayDee on March 27, 2014, 12:59:59 PM

There's only one place in the game where you can get that trophy: (semi-spoilery for the final part of the game. Nothing serious)

Spoiler for Hiden:
After finishing the game's story, climb the DUP HQ skyscraper again, and launch into the antenna to boost into the air. Boost sideways off the building and immediately plunge down.
I've gone there a few times post-game just to appreciate the scenery.  Best view in the city. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »

There! Just got the platinum trophy for the game. This makes my second on the PS4 (with the first being Lego Marvel) and my 11th in total. smile
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

You got the Lego Marvel trophy? Wow, that's really impressive. I doubt I'll come close for that game.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »

Lego games have traditionally been pretty easy to get all the Achievements / Trophies in.  I have the full 1000 points in Lego Batman 2, Lego Indiana Jones, and Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, for example.

Is there something about Lego Marvel that makes it tougher than its predecessors?

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »

the flying controls are usually brought up when people talk about it on trophy/achievement forums.  I wouldn't know as I haven't played enough to be annoyed with it.

I intend to go for the platinum here myself.  be the second one after Uncharted Golden Abyss.  (what a drag that was)

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »

I should be able to knock out the good karma playthrough tonight. Since April pretty much sucks for new games, I guess I'll shoot for platinum. I bought Thief during the flash sale and I've also got Arkham Origins on the PC, so those should keep me busy.

Infamous was fun, not perfect.

Things I liked:

- Getting new powers is awesome. I liked the RPG aspects of upgrading your skill tree.

- Combat is challenging but fair.

- Getting around the city is so much fun - Assassin's Creed is going to feel like a slog after being able to simply run up the side of a building at a 90-degree angle.

Things I didn't like:

- The gameplay gets a bit samey after awhile. You're clearing similar districts the same way against the same enemies over and over and over again. Only two things salvage this. One is the fact that they didn't go overboard with the side quests and collectibles. They could have really made it tedious, but they put in just enough that you can clear everything in a district in a short play session. The other is the fact that you get new powers - these are just different enough to change your combat approach and spice things up a bit.

- The lack of enemy variety.

- The morality system is just dumb. They should just let you choose "good" or "evil" from the start and eliminate the charade they put on that your choice has any effect whatsoever. Anyone who plays through as a mix of good and evil is just going to severely handicap themselves, so in reality you have no choice at all.

Overall I thought AC4 was the better game, just in terms of scope and things to do. If Infamous was cross-platform, or came out at some other point when there were a lot of other PS4 exclusives available, I don't think it would have gotten nearly the hype. I don't regret the purchase a bit - it's a fun game, I've put close to 20 hours in it and I plan to put in another 10-15 more, but just being honest. I think the 80 Metacritic score is pretty much spot-on.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 29, 2014, 11:49:30 PM

Is there something about Lego Marvel that makes it tougher than its predecessors?

In the Lego games, the side activities always show signs of not having been playtested in the slightest. The same is true in Lego Marvel. There are some missions that seem like they're supposed to be pretty straightforward, but which are in reality ridiculously difficult. These include almost every race that involves flying, as well as a couple of regular races (try the one on the carrier to see what I mean).

I've 100%-ed Lego LOTR too, and that was easier than this. Getting a platinum in Lego Marvel takes not only patience, but actual skill and practice for a few of the races.

But that's enough about Lego in an Infamous-thread. Tongue
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »

Final stretch now. Cleared out all mobile DUC outposts, just a few collectibles left and a couple of story missions and I think I'm done my run as a good guy. I have a ton of shards left over but I think I've maxed out all my skills (I'm level 5 good guy with no upgrades available) so right now I'm just collecting them for completeness.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »

Without being spoilery: There are no leftover shards in the game. If you find them, you can use them. Eventually.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

I beat the game over the weekend as a good guy. Now I restarted on Expert as a bad guy. This second go around is definitely much faster and the expert mode really isn't all that hard. With about 4 hours in my second play through I've already unlocked the third power set. The Platinum shouldn't take me that much longer to get, assuming I keep skipping all the optional content.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 01, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

Good guy playthrough complete. Going to take a break for a bit before coming back for my Expert evil runthrough. Kind of burnt out on Infamous right now as it's all I've played for the past two weeks.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 01, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

Ok I have finished both the good and evil play throughs. I know one of the big complaints about the game is that evil or good doesn't change the game all that much, but I disagree when you are talking about the storyline. This may be especially true if they make part 4 follow the decisions you make in part 3.

Spoiler to discuss both endings:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The endings couldn't be anymore different. Good guy Deslin returns to the Tribe as a hero and saves everyone. Bad Guy Deslin really takes a turn to true super villain when he kills the tribe. I honestly didn't see that coming. I thought he would slink off and just start terrorizing the rest of the DUPs, but when he jumps up to do the power bomb on the hall and he smirks at the camera you know he has lost every speck of good he had in him.

As for gameplay, yeah your choices don't change much, but I do think the TV power was a hell of a lot better playing as evil. Especially if you power the invisibility and power blades sets up all the way. The he becomes over powered even on Expert difficulty.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »

I also beat the good playthrough last night and went about trying to get some of the random act trophies like the comet drop and the 45 second flight.  I then restarted to go evil.  I really wish they had let you skip cinematics, but it does help show that Delsin changes as a character during the playthrough. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »

Upcoming patch will let you select time of day post game
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/01/second-son-update-incoming-change-time-of-day-hud-off-30fps-option/
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 01, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 01, 2014, 03:40:08 PM

Awesome. 

I'm over half-way through my 2nd playthrough (evil/expert), and while the game is still a lot of fun, I wish Sucker Punch would have added more depth to the NPC stories, improved the quality of the side quests, and added more main mission events.  As good as the game is, it feels incomplete, like they intended to add more to the main narrative and side quests. 

With that said, SP created a great engine, with very fun powersets and good controls.  There's a lot to work with going forward.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 01, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »

According to the save file I'm at 50 some % and still enjoying it immensely.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 05, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »

Wait, what... there's a Legend of Zelda "Master Sword" in the game?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

1 million sales in 9 days!

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/10/infamous-second-son-hit-1-million-sales-in-9-days/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »

Patch is out with time of day and photo mode etc
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: