http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:45:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 7497 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

Ok I'm really confused as to why the reviews were so mixed on this game.   It's easily a 90 range game, and unless it collapses at the end it could be a system seller.    Does it get really repetitive or something?

JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

Sorry not revolt, showdown. I just freed Queen Anne district. On to the Space Needle!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 22, 2014, 09:59:51 PM

Ok I'm really confused as to why the reviews were so mixed on this game.   It's easily a 90 range game, and unless it collapses at the end it could be a system seller.    Does it get really repetitive or something?

I'm a bit worried about that. Looking at the world map it seems it's just a whole bunch of districts that on the surface have the same list of things to do. Awesome, fun, explodey things of course.

We'll see how the main story missions progress....
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2014, 10:05:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 22, 2014, 08:42:31 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2014, 03:40:45 PM

I'm actually finding it surprising that everyone is praising the story and acting so much.  While I agree that the mix is really good and the performances are fine, the opening sequence reminded me that as much as I loved the first two games, it wasn't for the story.  I'm finding Deslin to be fairly annoying (though Cole was too, at times), and it's not just his name.

Delsin grows on you over time, depending on which karma route you take. But you still have to realize the character is just kind of a punk at times. He does mature as you get later into the game. Reggie and Bettie are great supporting cast for him though. And the acting is good, it's just that for some they might not like the character. But remember, that's the same actor that played Joel in The Last of Us. slywink

As for the DS4 stuff. The reason for simple actions being touchpad presses and swipes is that they didn't want to double up on buttons elsewhere. The spray painting stuff can be annoying for some, and I was surprised that it wasn't annoying for me, but that's only because the DS4's sensors are a far cry from the inaccurate sensors of the DS3. I think the level of precision is key, and if you really think back to the DS3 gak they had us do it was pretty inaccurate and janky.

I'm saying I would rather they doubled up on button presses.  Hitting a contextual square to open a door is a lot better than switching to the pad and swiping, IMO.  Using the pad for common interactions feels gimmicky and awkward to me.

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2014, 04:19:38 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2014, 03:40:45 PM

Spray paint by holding it sideways?  I could do the same thing holding it the regular way.

And you still can. Just turn it sideways and give it a quick shake, then turn it back in its regular orientation for the actual spraying.

The tutorial said to hold it sideways the whole time.  I tried to do it the regular way, and it doesn't work as well.  And I still have to turn it sideways to start.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 22, 2014, 09:59:51 PM

Ok I'm really confused as to why the reviews were so mixed on this game.   It's easily a 90 range game, and unless it collapses at the end it could be a system seller.    Does it get really repetitive or something?

Well, the side activities are exactly the same for each of the game's 12 or so districts, and I believe that's what people are talking about when they mention repetitiveness. Not that I think Infamous Second Son oversteps its bounds in that regard. Collectibles and side activities are remarkably restrained for a time when Ubisoft thinks good game design means littering their games with so many collectibles that you're absolutely sick of the whole thing long before you're done collecting them. I've only got two more districts to clear out in Infamous before I've got everything done and collected, and it's still fun to do. That's a good sign that while these activities may be repetitive, they don't really outstay their welcome.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2014, 10:05:24 PM

I'm saying I would rather they doubled up on button presses.  Hitting a contextual square to open a door is a lot better than switching to the pad and swiping, IMO.  Using the pad for common interactions feels gimmicky and awkward to me.

I think the pad feels really good to use during gameplay, and appreciate any game that takes advantage of it. Then again, I've got piano fingers. The fewer games that put all their actions on one button (hello Assassin's Creed!) the better, in my opinion.

The tutorial said to hold it sideways the whole time.  I tried to do it the regular way, and it doesn't work as well.  And I still have to turn it sideways to start.

Turn it sideways, shake, then immediately turn it back the normal way. It works perfectly for me. I've done this for all but the first of the graffiti tasks in the game, and I've done almost all of them by this point.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2014, 10:08:58 PM

Turn it sideways, shake, then immediately turn it back the normal way. It works perfectly for me. I've done this for all but the first of the graffiti tasks in the game, and I've done almost all of them by this point.

I must have missed a part of the tutorial -- I knew to hold my controller sideways while shaking up the can, but it never occurred to me to leave it that way while filling in the stencils.  Now I kind of want to give that a try. icon_redface

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 23, 2014, 01:20:05 AM

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2014, 10:08:58 PM

I must have missed a part of the tutorial -- I knew to hold my controller sideways while shaking up the can, but it never occurred to me to leave it that way while filling in the stencils.  Now I kind of want to give that a try. icon_redface

-Autistic Angel

I was the same.  I thought you just turned it sideways to start and then hold it normal.  I did about 3-4 before I held the controller like a spray paint can.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2014, 07:38:28 AM »

To touch on a few subjects...

The touchpad use for me is perfect . It takes no extra effort to swipe it. Double button presses are another option, one that I hate. I'd always, somehow, not get it right. Human error, whatever. Not cool. I've seen it before. Trying to do "A" option but end up with "B". Call me clumsy.

Graphics are amazing period.

Side stuff to do . Awesome . Maybe repetitive, but completely fun and optional even if I personally can't skip. If you'd like, skipable.

Loving it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »

Neon is wow. I think I like it better than Smoke!!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

Just finished the game with evil karma and 100% completion. Got almost all of the trophies too, except for the Expert difficulty one, Cough Drops, and the good karma ones. I'll probably do a second playthrough to get a platinum trophy. Should be pretty straightforward.

It's a great game, but they haven't really improved their writing or characterization since the first game. The characters are still paper-thin with completely unbelievable motivations, and the morality system gives off the impressions that everything the writers learned about the subject they picked up through reading the alignment chapter in the AD&D Player's Handbook. Mostly thanks to the lack of any true moral choices (they're all cartoony and exaggerated beyond reason), there's still no reason to go anything but all out with either positive or negative karma. I can't imagine even a single player will attempt to mix them up, so I really don't see why they let us "choose" at specific points in the story. It's not even illusion of choice. It's the smart way and the stupid way.

Troy Baker carries this game on his shoulders, and it's mostly thanks to him (and the guy playing his brother) that the story is even watchable. As a side note, Troy Baker and Nolan North sure have similar voices. They could probably pretend to be each other, and nobody would notice.

The gameplay is excellent though, make no mistake.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:05:06 PM by TiLT » Logged
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »

Launching off cars to hulk smash hapless enemies is the new best thing ever.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »

I've been playing a bit on Expert now, and wow, that's just not fun at all. The enemies themselves aren't much harder to defeat, but they're everywhere! You can't pass a street corner without running into an APC filled to the brim with enemies (and more of them than on the normal difficulty). 9 times out of 10 an APC will sneak up on me when picking up a shard, no matter how careful I try to be. Taking out a mobile control center means handling wave after wave after wave of reinforcements since the APCs just keep coming. This is just annoying.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »

On the plus side, if you're playing new game plus, you carry all your powers over.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »

There is no such thing.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2014, 08:58:15 PM

There is no such thing.

So is there or not? Two people sound really convinced of opposite things.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »

I don't think there is a new game plus mode due to the alignment based powers.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

After reading all the reviews that knocked the game for not doing enough "next gen gameplay" I'm wondering If any of those reviewers actually went back and played 1 or 2 after playing 3. Because the smoke powers alone are far better than anything on the ps3 titles. To
Me this game is a home run. I really don't get what the heck more they were expecting. 

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »

Good lord the particles in the final boss fight.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:42 AM »

Played for two hours tonight. Did only a handful of missions. Too busy clearing out DUP.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2014, 03:46:16 AM »

Odd then, because I've seen streams of playing with powers in missions out of the correct timeline.

But all searches indicate there's no new game plus, so there's probably a cheat or just odd positioning.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:51 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 24, 2014, 03:46:16 AM

Odd then, because I've seen streams of playing with powers in missions out of the correct timeline.

But all searches indicate there's no new game plus, so there's probably a cheat or just odd positioning.

Story missions?  Game opens up post game so you can finish whatever DUP stuff you haven't done with all the powers.  Also maybe you are thinking of the demo build that was used in all the press videos where it seemed they had neon and smoke for the first Seattle mission.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2014, 04:17:48 AM »

I played so much of this game over the weekend I'm seeing smoke everywhere. I'd guess I've put in a dozen hours and I've completed 18% of the game. I haven't been this captivated by a game in a long time.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 22, 2014, 04:59:02 AM

So far I'm not really a fan of the combat in this game.  It seems like the melee isn't nearly powerful enough to be useful most of the time, and I don't really like all of the "shooting" and now I'm constantly getting shot from a long way away. 

Man, if you're in the market for stronger melee, the Neon power set is made to order.  Flicker-speed light tackles are one-hit kills on the regular grunts, plus a sweet Force Push ability for bowling over groups or blasting aside destructible cover.  And that 80's light blade is the MC Skat Kat of the upgrade tree.

This game is tits.

-Autistic Angel
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 24, 2014, 10:13:12 AM

So far I'm not really a fan of the combat in this game.  It seems like the melee isn't nearly powerful enough to be useful most of the time, and I don't really like all of the "shooting" and now I'm constantly getting shot from a long way away. 

Man, if you're in the market for stronger melee, the Neon power set is made to order.  Flicker-speed light tackles are one-hit kills on the regular grunts, plus a sweet Force Push ability for bowling over groups or blasting aside destructible cover.  And that 80's light blade is the MC Skat Kat of the upgrade tree.

This game is tits.

-Autistic Angel

Yes. Tits is is! Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »

I plan on playing through with Good karma on Normal, then playing through with Bad karma on Expert. I figure Expert will be easier if I don't have to worry about blowing up civilians and can just kill everything that moves.  icon_biggrin

My biggest pleasant surprise with this game is that it's not as easy as I was expecting. They did a good job of making you feel like a bad-ass superhero, but not so much that you can just walk around with impunity.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »

I played up to getting neon powers yesterday.  much better melee damage with this one.  Playing through on normal with good karma, which is harder to do when you have to minimize civilian casualties. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »

I'm assuming you've all downloaded the latest patch and linked your PSN id up with http://infamouspapertrail.com/ to get extra Karma?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 24, 2014, 03:31:53 PM

I'm assuming you've all downloaded the latest patch and linked your PSN id up with http://infamouspapertrail.com/ to get extra Karma?

I'm more interested in the missions themselves and maybe if they let us use Paper as a power.  I have no problem earning Karma in game.  Note it's karma and not shards, and there's essentially an infinite supply of karma in game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »

Unless you're rushing through the story, you'll be at max karma by the time you're halfway through the game. As for shards, the game contains the exact amount of shards you need to fully upgrade every power you gain access to. No more, no less.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 24, 2014, 10:16:31 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 24, 2014, 10:13:12 AM

This game is tits.

-Autistic Angel

Yes. Tits is is! Tongue

I think my reflexes are just not meant for the greater console world.  I put difficulty on Easy and I still got my ass handed to me time and again in the very early stages of the game (right after just arriving in Seattle and blowing up the truck, some "big guy" spawns).  Unfortunately it doesn't help to learn about all the awesome powers in the future if you can't get there.

As Engine mentioned above, the shooting is hard for me to aim, typically I'm standing there being shot at a million times before I get the cursor to turn red.  And yes I tried zooming in.  In melee combat, I've tried zipping around and spamming the square button but generally I just overshoot the bad guys and flail around like a maniac while being constantly shot at from afar.  I was still OK by running away to regen but that gets lame after a while if you can't find smoke so I just went up against the big guy and got raped over and over.  Not a lot of fun.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

I find using elevation as an advantage has really helped my destroy DUC Mobile Centers much more easily. I zip around the rooftops picking off the stragglers and raining down rockets to destroy infrastructure (turrets, walkways, etc). I use the chimneys/vents to recharge and then eventually make a Hulk-Smash play right into the heart of the battle and take out who I can before zipping up the nearest air vent and regrouping. A few more snipes to pick off those that are looking for me, another crash and bash session or two and the area is usually mine.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

You're really not supposed to stand still in this game. You'll get trounced if you try. Make sure you keep moving in and out of cover. If you get overwhelmed, retreat (preferably in a way suitable to your power, such as through an air vent) and regroup. Enemies may lose line of sight to you, which allows you to surprise them and approach them from unexpected angles. If you try to go toe-to-toe, particularly against the bigger enemies, you will die. A lot.

Dive back and forth between cover, pull back when it gets too busy around you, and try to isolate your enemies by approaching from all kinds of directions in the same battle.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »

If you have a hard time aiming with controllers you're gonna have a hard time with Infamous.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »

I'd definitely recommend taking out an area completely before going to the Needle.  I generally have done enough of the free-roaming stuff to max out whatever powers I can before continuing on in the story.  go hunt the quad copters and make sure to smash the hand scanners as those also have shards in them, but be careful of the lockup pens.  I've inadvertently killed more civvies through overuse of the force push than I should be.  it wipes out your karma bomb charge if you are going for good.  I've also destroyed pens as the debris from rooftops has crushed them.  The DUP should have put more money into those cages if you ask me.  

when you face off against the little concrete throwers, try to time your force push attack as they land as it knocks them off their feet.  makes them an easy target.  the dudes in black are tricker though and it pays to take out as many of the grunts first before concentrating on him.  same with gatling gun-wielding heavies.  upgrade the smoke bomb to stun and then you can give yourself an opening in a crowd.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »

According to the save game data I'm 75% into a herioc normal game.  I don't want it to end!  It's been so much fun.  It's very addicting though.  My play sessions start with my own expection that I'll play for about an hour, and then 2-3 hours later I'm still going not wanting to stop.  The powersets are all different and cool to use.  I like how I've never felt forced to use a particular set for an extended period of time (some of the early boss fights limit this, but they're over relatively quick).  I get to choose which powerset based on what I enjoy, or my play style.  

Of the 2 known powersets, both Smoke and Neon are strong.  Neon has been a very strong option for my herioc character.  It's a great long ranged powerset, and has imo the best karma bomb for clearing out a DUP or district showdown.  Smoke seems to be geared more towards mid to close range combat, with some nice upgrades for an evil Deslin.  

The third power
Spoiler for Hiden:
took some getting used to, but it's been really good too.  Being able to stealth and subdue small teams of 3 or 4 all at once has been awesome.  This is the powerset that makes me wish I was on an evil playthrough.  Being able to summon 3 demons per stealth sounds awesome.  The angel flight traversal is really good.  It took me a little while moving around the map to fully appreciate the mobility and air control of the power.  It works really well.

Perma neon running through the city is just fun by itself.  Very cool effect, both in the day and at night.  There are some things I could nitpick, but damn, the games too fun to dwell on them.          
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 24, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 24, 2014, 05:27:30 PM

If you have a hard time aiming with controllers you're gonna have a hard time with Infamous.

You can lower the aim speed which helps.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »

Platinum trophy earned.   3/25/2014
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

Woah. Impressive.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 25, 2014, 06:34:44 PM

Platinum trophy earned.   3/25/2014

Damn that was quick. I take it you really like the game. I'm using the same strategy though, normal mode with a good play through, and then I will go expert with my evil karma play through.

I'm still only half way through my first play through though.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: