http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 10194 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »

I have never been to real Seattle, so my early impression of Second Son is that short-range teleportation is pretty much the best thing.  Need to escape enemy fire?  Wisp yourself through that security fence.  Drug dealer on the run?  Jet in behind him for a takedown.  Crossing rooftops?  That double-air smoke already lets you blip across significant distances without touching down, and I can only hope there's room for a third in the upgrade tree.

It's not just for you, either.  In addition to the leaping enemies from inFamous 2, new enemy types can blink around the battlefield just like you do.  It's like playing tag with Nightcrawler, as Nightcrawler, except instead of becoming It you get a flechette blast of concrete to the face.  It's such an awesome F-U, I'm really hoping Delsin's gets some takedowns that are just as kinetic.

I've seen a lot of talk about the facial animations and particle effects, both of which are very nice, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the voice acting and dialogue.  The chemistry between Delsin, his brother, and Betty is on par with what I'd expect from an Uncharted game -- the environmental mixing is pitch-perfect, and it sounds like the actors are actually talking to each other rather than just recording lines in a booth.  Then there's the main antagonist.  I *loved* her introductory scene!  Anyone can write a villain who's ruthless and cruel, but when she outplayed Delsin and turned his rebellious pride against him, she instantly established herself as a much more capable and dangerous opponent.

I'm just about seven missions in, but that's because I wandered off to start collecting shards, breaking up drug deals, and spray painting walls as soon as I could.  That last part is way more engaging than I would have expected, partly because I'm curious to see what the final tag looks like, and partly because it actually takes some skill to avoid drips.  I'd compare it to a simplified version of Marc Ecko's Getting Up, but I may be the only person on earth who played that.

inFamous 2 turned out to be one of my favorite games on the PlayStation 3.  I've mentioned in the past that it's one of the very few games that I enjoyed so much that as soon as I finished it, I actually replayed the first game and then went all the way through the sequel *again* so I could see the alternate karma changes.  I probably would have been satisfied if Second Son was just like that except prettier -- instead, my early impressions are that this game boasts substantially better combat, traversal, acting, and storytelling than its predecessors.  Very, very happy so far! nod

-Autistic Angel
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »

I was hoping to resist this given that D3 is out next week, but the forum effect was too powerful and I ordered it to pickup at Best Buy.  Sounds like it's gonna be pretty sweet.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »

I'm having a great time with the game so far.  Just unlocked Neon.  Interesting that you can only have one power at a time, I may have read that at some point but I was still thinking you could switch on the fly with a button press.  Here you can still switch but need to find a resource first, so if you are using Smoke and want to use Neon better find a neon sign which are reasonably abundant but you're not going to be pulling off any smoke/neon/whatever combo moves.   I could stare at the effect for draining neon all day.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2014, 12:42:47 AM »

I picked this up today, will try it here in a few. PS4's virgin AAA voyage!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »

Definitely loving taking the vent route to a rooftop much more than having to climb
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2014, 02:18:48 AM »

Got mine tonight.  Waiting to try it until kids are asleep.

The metascore has dropped to 80%.     Not even close to a system seller and borderline purchase for me.   I usually only get titles that are 85 and above.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2014, 03:21:45 AM »

I've seen a lot of talk about the facial animations and particle effects, both of which are very nice, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the voice acting and dialogue.  The chemistry between Delsin, his brother, and Betty is on par with what I'd expect from an Uncharted game -- the environmental mixing is pitch-perfect, and it sounds like the actors are actually talking to each other rather than just recording lines in a booth.

This. Absolutely.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 22, 2014, 02:18:48 AM

The metascore has dropped to 80%.     Not even close to a system seller and borderline purchase for me.   I usually only get titles that are 85 and above.

Uh huh, sure you do.   Roll Eyes  Can you quit this barely disguised console warrior nonsense already?
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:09 AM »

90 minutes in and game is amazing. I'm already ignoring missions in my quest to liberate the district I'm in. Gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Also, it's purdy.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2014, 04:08:47 AM »

Delsin and Reggie are way better protagonists than Cole and Zeke, the improvement there might even be greater than the improvement of graphics from the old games to this.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2014, 04:59:02 AM »

So far I'm not really a fan of the combat in this game.  It seems like the melee isn't nearly powerful enough to be useful most of the time, and I don't really like all of the "shooting" and now I'm constantly getting shot from a long way away. 

So far I've died way more times than I'd like to admit and every time I basically say "fuck this game".   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:25 AM »

I think the game is very good, but it's very much inFamous.  If you liked the first two games, then this is just like that with a few tweaks and a different setting.  The traversing abilities are way more fun and useful than previous games though.  I think you really have to play through about 3 main story missions before the full range of combat is there for you.  Early on I think you are too weak and too reliant on pew pew and ducking and dodging.  Once you open up a few abilities, the combat is much more enjoyable imo.  Melee still feels very weak for me and I've fully liberated multiple areas.  I have so many abilities though, I don't need to melee really at all.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 22, 2014, 03:37:18 AM

Uh huh, sure you do.   Roll Eyes  Can you quit this barely disguised console warrior nonsense already?

I've said here many times that I only spend money on games that are high meta scores.   I think I said so in the PC thief thread.   I bought that one anyway because of my love for the previous games.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2014, 05:17:52 AM »

So far I'm liking it a lot.  If the combat improves with stronger powers it could turn from like to love.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2014, 06:42:14 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 22, 2014, 03:37:18 AM

Yeah, don't even bother reading reviews on this as far as I'm concerned now. For me at
Least, if you enjoyed 1 and 2 this is a serious no brainer. I acquired a ps4 at launch, but if I didn't already have one. This would sell a system.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »

Must sleep... This game, thus far, is a true gem.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »

I've got my good karma mill really going with smoke. Some of the upgrade powers really help.

I do like how the grenades in ISS are no longer just extra damage from the start, especially since you already have so many straight damage dealing powers. Instead, the grenades early on have extra functions, like the smoke power's grenade is a sulfur bomb that stuns enemies.

In past infamous games, the grenades required high level upgrades to do anything besides damage.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »

I hope they get the paper trail web integration fixed today.  I ran across the first mission and if I can get that power boy do I want that.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »

Anyone else find the game hard? I'm dying, a lot. Then again I only completed the first city mission (Queen Anne district) and haven't unlocked anymore powers.
leo8877

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 22, 2014, 12:19:16 PM

Anyone else find the game hard? I'm dying, a lot. Then again I only completed the first city mission (Queen Anne district) and haven't unlocked anymore powers.

I also died a lot on that first mission. Once I got more powers I am not dying nearly as much.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »

By powers do you just mean smoke, or the subset of smoke powers?  You really need to have the full compliment of skills for a power if you don't and should work towards that.  The other actual powers don't change the difficulty much since you can only have one equipped at a time. 
leo8877

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 22, 2014, 01:34:04 PM

By powers do you just mean smoke, or the subset of smoke powers?  You really need to have the full compliment of skills for a power if you don't and should work towards that.  The other actual powers don't change the difficulty much since you can only have one equipped at a time. 

I know you were talking to JayDee, but for me I am talking about additional Smoke powers.  You only start with pew pew, as I recall (not mentioning the movement stuff).  Once you get more offensive abilities the game is not so brutal.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »

I've only had the chance to play about an hour, but I'm really loving it so far. The graphics are amazing for a console title, the combat is just challenging enough, and the powers are a ton of fun. I have never played any of the games in the series, so I didn't really know that powers were limited by energy, and that has made all the difference for me. I really like the idea of having to be a little conservative so that I don't run out mid-battle.

The biggest problem for me so far is just getting used to the PS4 controller. That's certainly not the game's fault though - in fact, I really like how they've incorporated the unique features of the PS4 controller into the gameplay.

I don't know if it's a *true* "system seller," but it definitely made me feel better about purchasing a PS4. Between this and Titanfall, life is good.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »

Ya I meant smoke. Until this thread I didn't know you could get more than smoke.

Also, are shards plentiful enough that you can upgrade everything or do you need to be choosy as to which subset of powers you want to max out?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

Good question.   Haven't read anything addressing this yet.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 22, 2014, 02:37:45 PM

I don't know if it's a *true* "system seller," but it definitely made me feel better about purchasing a PS4. Between this and Titanfall, life is good.

I don't think this title on it's own is a system seller. I actually think The Show will move more systems but having both infamous and The Show out a month apart is a huge 1-2 punch for the PS4.

I know sports games aren't big around here but The Show is a huge deal and big seller with sports fans.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 22, 2014, 03:13:44 PM

Ya I meant smoke. Until this thread I didn't know you could get more than smoke.

Also, are shards plentiful enough that you can upgrade everything or do you need to be choosy as to which subset of powers you want to max out?

According to Jeff during the Giantbomb quicklook (and spoiler averse they show the third power) you get enough shards to upgrade all of the skills for single alignment in a playthrough.  So all good or all evil.

Third power from the skill tree looks more interesting on the evil side, though the good side has a bit of game play changer element to it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

Couple of things that have helped me:
- you don't have to hold down the touch pad to drain, you just press it once.  For awhile I was holding it down.
- if you are on a roof and press O towards a vent it will boost you like holding X on a car does
- If you actually hold the controller sideways the spray painting is much easier!

Now that I have the hang of transportation and flying (figuratively) around the city, I love the smoke powers!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 22, 2014, 04:59:02 AM

So far I'm not really a fan of the combat in this game.  It seems like the melee isn't nearly powerful enough to be useful most of the time, and I don't really like all of the "shooting" and now I'm constantly getting shot from a long way away. 

Approach it like a Nightcrawler game.  You can't hit hard enough to put anyone down with one punch, but you've got the tools to scatter enemy formations and the speed to take down isolated targets before they can react.

I'm playing with the Good karma powers so far, so I approach enemy squads with a spread of sulfur grenades to disrupt their aim, blink takedowns on anyone unlucky enough to get blinded, and some Arkham City-style acrobatic melee strikes to keep the stragglers from drawing a bead on me.  It's *much* easier to close distance on a target in Second Son than the previous games, and it turns out tactical armor does little to mitigate the accuracy loss of being whipped in the head by a smoulder chain.

Also, trampolining off a car or ejecting through a vent for an immediate ground-pound makes you feel like a boss every single time.

Obvious exceptions include APC turrets and those minigun-toting brutes who act like you're tickling them with a length of yarn.  Those guys you really do need to keep your distance from; I recommend lateral teleports and liberal expenditure of your cinder rockets.

Quote from: YellowKing on March 22, 2014, 02:37:45 PM

I've only had the chance to play about an hour, but I'm really loving it so far. The graphics are amazing for a console title, the combat is just challenging enough, and the powers are a ton of fun. I have never played any of the games in the series, so I didn't really know that powers were limited by energy, and that has made all the difference for me. I really like the idea of having to be a little conservative so that I don't run out mid-battle.

This is a subtle change from the earlier games.  Cole also had to charge his powers up, but sources of electricity were so plentiful that you were never more than a couple steps from a street light, circuit breaker, or air conditioner you could use to juice up.  By contrast, Seattle has a real scarcity of billowing black smoke holes.

I try to keep one rocket in the chamber for igniting an abandoned car anytime Delsin needs a quick fix.  This may stretch the boundaries of "Good karma," but with all the bullet holes and concrete shard damage to the body, I figure the owner would have been shopping for a new ride anyhow.

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

I'm actually finding it surprising that everyone is praising the story and acting so much.  While I agree that the mix is really good and the performances are fine, the opening sequence reminded me that as much as I loved the first two games, it wasn't for the story.  I'm finding Deslin to be fairly annoying (though Cole was too, at times), and it's not just his name.

I am also finding the forced DS4 stuff to be kind of annoying.  It's reminding me of those early PS3 games that made you do all kinds of stupid things with the gyroscope.  Spray paint by holding it sideways?  I could do the same thing holding it the regular way.  Why are you making me do this?  And the touch pad is being used too often for frequent activities that would be better served with button presses.

That's it, though.  Other than that, I'm enjoying the game a lot.  Like the past ones, once you get to start scooting around the city, it can be tremendous fun.  It's interesting that usually in games, I'm all about the story, but for these, I find I don't start enjoying it until after I get through the talky bits.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2014, 03:40:45 PM

Spray paint by holding it sideways?  I could do the same thing holding it the regular way.

And you still can. Just turn it sideways and give it a quick shake, then turn it back in its regular orientation for the actual spraying.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »

Can you listen to audio logs over again?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »

I'd love to call off work today...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »

Question: For the objects listed on the map screen that don't actually show up as symbols (hidden cameras, secret agent, etc.) do you just have to go exploring and hunt them down?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 22, 2014, 06:29:05 PM

Question: For the objects listed on the map screen that don't actually show up as symbols (hidden cameras, secret agent, etc.) do you just have to go exploring and hunt them down?

Just keep playing. Some of these are tied to story progression. Ordinarily, they're supposed to show up once you take out the DUP mobile station in the area, but if they don't, you're going to have to progress in the story. Everything will eventually be shown on the map.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

I think I missed the "tutorial text" for this but how low does a district have to go with regards to DUP control before revolt? 50%? All the way to 0%?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »

There's no revolt, but you can toss them out when it reaches 30%.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 22, 2014, 07:15:13 PM

I think I missed the "tutorial text" for this but how low does a district have to go with regards to DUP control before revolt? 50%? All the way to 0%?
As TiLT said, at 30% you can evict them.  The phone icon on your minimap is where you initiate the mission to do so.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2014, 03:40:45 PM

I'm actually finding it surprising that everyone is praising the story and acting so much.  While I agree that the mix is really good and the performances are fine, the opening sequence reminded me that as much as I loved the first two games, it wasn't for the story.  I'm finding Deslin to be fairly annoying (though Cole was too, at times), and it's not just his name.

Delsin grows on you over time, depending on which karma route you take. But you still have to realize the character is just kind of a punk at times. He does mature as you get later into the game. Reggie and Bettie are great supporting cast for him though. And the acting is good, it's just that for some they might not like the character. But remember, that's the same actor that played Joel in The Last of Us. slywink

As for the DS4 stuff. The reason for simple actions being touchpad presses and swipes is that they didn't want to double up on buttons elsewhere. The spray painting stuff can be annoying for some, and I was surprised that it wasn't annoying for me, but that's only because the DS4's sensors are a far cry from the inaccurate sensors of the DS3. I think the level of precision is key, and if you really think back to the DS3 gak they had us do it was pretty inaccurate and janky.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:00:29 PM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »

It took me a while to realize that the spray painting doesn't use a camera or a sensor to handle its aiming, yet it feels at least as precise as Move or the Wii does. It's pretty amazing that they're able to pull this off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: