http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 9226 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2014, 06:20:30 PM

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 06:11:10 PM

that's what I signed up for, so that's what I'm happy to get.  a solid superhero game by a studio whose games I've enjoyed. 

now, if this were The Division, I'd be disappointed that the dev didn't go the extra mile to make it everything the trailers seemingly promised.  sadly, I now have some doubts about that one after the noticeable drop in detail on next-gen versions of Watch_Dogs. 

Division is next gen on thought right?  So maybe it won't suffer like Watch Dogs has.  (I assume it's last gen holding us back, Obi-Wan style!)
it is.  the doubt is based on Ubisoft and their ability to wow with early shots then scale back considerably due to engine/hardware constraints. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »

sadly, I now have some doubts about that one after the noticeable drop in detail on next-gen versions of Watch_Dogs.

Why is this rumor still being spread around even after it was debunked by the devs themselves and by people analyzing the trailers? The E3 2012 trailer never specified platform (it was running on PC), and the E3 2013 trailer (which was specifically touted as running on the new generation of consoles) looks the same as the game does today. The armchair "experts" are so off the base on this that it's not even entertaining to watch from the sidelines.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM

Those reviews are good enough for me. I didn't expect Game of the Year, I just want something to play besides Knack.  icon_biggrin

Exactly! smile

I was not expecting it to be the second coming....just a fun superhero type game that looks awesome. I loved the other games in the series (and so did my wife), so I am perfectly fine with it being similar to the others. What exactly were some reviewers expecting?

It's the same with Titanfall, which unfortunately seems to be what everyone is comparing it to, even though they are completely different. I went into TitanFall expecting a fun multiplayer shooter and I got that. I understand that MS wants people to think it is the second coming, but I wasn't expecting it to be, and I had fun.

Overall, I think people just need to stress less over reviews. They are just opinions and everyone just has to learn to relax and enjoy the games. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2014, 06:43:51 PM

Those reviews are good enough for me. I didn't expect Game of the Year, I just want something to play besides Knack.  icon_biggrin

Exactly! smile

I was not expecting it to be the second coming....just a fun superhero type game that looks awesome. I loved the other games in the series (and so did my wife), so I am perfectly fine with it being similar to the others. What exactly were some reviewers expecting?

It's the same with Titanfall, which unfortunately seems to be what everyone is comparing it to, even though they are completely different. I went into TitanFall expecting a fun multiplayer shooter and I got that. I understand that MS wants people to think it is the second coming, but I wasn't expecting it to be, and I had fun.

Overall, I think people just need to stress less over reviews. They are just opinions and everyone just has to learn to relax and enjoy the games. smile

I'd love if the first line of any review was "I went into the game A) expecting this, B) expecting that, or C) with zero expectations."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2014, 06:43:51 PM

Exactly! smile

This same thing happened With Batman Arkham Origins. Reviewers universally bashed the fact that it didn't do a whole lot new. So I went into the game thinking I wasn't going to enjoy it very much. But guess what? I loved Batman 1 and 2, and I loved Origins just as much, if not more (Mostly because I really liked the Joker vs. Batman Origin story). So the fact that InFamous 3 doesn't deviate too far from the previous games is just fine with me. Especially since I loved both InFamous 1 and 2.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 20, 2014, 06:40:29 PM

sadly, I now have some doubts about that one after the noticeable drop in detail on next-gen versions of Watch_Dogs.

Why is this rumor still being spread around even after it was debunked by the devs themselves and by people analyzing the trailers? The E3 2012 trailer never specified platform (it was running on PC), and the E3 2013 trailer (which was specifically touted as running on the new generation of consoles) looks the same as the game does today. The armchair "experts" are so off the base on this that it's not even entertaining to watch from the sidelines.

if that's the case, then the only downside is that they couldn't get that level of detail out of the next gen consoles.  and that in itself raises doubts about what's possible in The Division.  sure, different dev and engine, but until it's been shown as it actually runs on these consoles, we have to ask whether they are up to the task. 

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »

I'd like the first paragraph of reviews to address how fun the game is to play.  I'm much less concerned about their thoughts about the game advancing the medium as an art form, or pushing the envelope in game design.  A game could be innovative with great new concepts, but not fun to play.  I feel like rolling my eyes whenever I read or hear a reviewer critique a game for not doing anything new.  That point has become part of the standard review template and score formula it seems.  Good game but doesn't try anything new?  - 5 points.  It's weird.  I can't think of any other artistic medium where their critics do that.  The singing and performances of the actors were brilliant, Tony worthy, but they didn't try anything new, so overall disapointing.  Now Spiderman the musical will be awesome!

inFamous:SS is one of those games that just looks fun from watching the snippets of videos out there.  I want to do what I've seen because it looks really fun.  

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 07:42:46 PM

if that's the case, then the only downside is that they couldn't get that level of detail out of the next gen consoles.  and that in itself raises doubts about what's possible in The Division.  sure, different dev and engine, but until it's been shown as it actually runs on these consoles, we have to ask whether they are up to the task. 

I said the E3 2013 trailer for Watch_Dogs looks like the game does today. The Division was first revealed at, you guessed it, E3 2013.

This is a tempest in a teapot, people! You're getting carried away by speculation made by people who have no idea what they're talking about, and who desire nothing more than to predict disaster.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »

The best approach to reviews is to find a small group of reviewers you like and follow them to where you understand their preferences.  Then you should ideally be able to get insight on to how their tastes mesh with yours, and where you agree/disagree with them as well as their general idiosyncrasies in taste.   Metascores and looking at random reviews I feel isn't entirely useful except in extreme cases.  
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2014, 08:32:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 20, 2014, 07:50:37 PM

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 07:42:46 PM

I said the E3 2013 trailer for Watch_Dogs looks like the game does today. The Division was first revealed at, you guessed it, E3 2013.

This is a tempest in a teapot, people! You're getting carried away by speculation made by people who have no idea what they're talking about, and who desire nothing more than to predict disaster.
if it looks as good as the e3 gameplay trailer (and that it was indeed on a console, not a PC), then I have nothing to worry about. 

in any case, back to our regularly scheduled talk about Infamous

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »

Kotaku is playing now on Twitch.  I assume you will be able to watch is all later.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

@griffinmcelroy: Infamous: Second Son is dope as all get out http://t.co/63PNncXPF8 Some of the best facial capture/voice acting Iíve ever seen, too
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

@PlayStation: Q: Can I get inFAMOUS Second Son tonight at midnight on PlayStation Store? A: Yep! More info on the Forums: http://t.co/IV5jnGdQEC
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2014, 10:31:40 PM

@PlayStation: Q: Can I get inFAMOUS Second Son tonight at midnight on PlayStation Store? A: Yep! More info on the Forums: http://t.co/IV5jnGdQEC
PST.  So sucks for us east coasters.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:39 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 20, 2014, 10:45:55 PM

Sucks for us reasonable time keeping west coasters too slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 20, 2014, 10:46:39 PM

Yeah I wish my ps would start downloading as I sleep. Isn't it supposed to do that anyway?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2014, 10:51:47 PM

Yeah I wish my ps would start downloading as I sleep. Isn't it supposed to do that anyway?

Apparently it will in April. Which doesn't do a lot of good for us right now.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2014, 12:28:33 AM »

I never played the first two Infamous games for various reasons, but from watching more of the videos of this it seems like in this one everybody once again uses ranged attacks a lot rather than melee.  Is that just how the majority of gameplay in Infamous goes? 

I much prefer melee-focused combat in a superhero game like Prototype and if I'm just going to be doing third person shooting it seems l'd be better off with something focused on that.

Either way, I already have the preorder on it's way from Amazon, I'm just kind of surprised I'm not seeing much melee gameplay based on earlier talk of more focus on that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »

My copy of Second Son arrived today. Thanks, Amazon!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 21, 2014, 12:28:33 AM

I never played the first two Infamous games for various reasons, but from watching more of the videos of this it seems like in this one everybody once again uses ranged attacks a lot rather than melee.  Is that just how the majority of gameplay in Infamous goes?  

I much prefer melee-focused combat in a superhero game like Prototype and if I'm just going to be doing third person shooting it seems l'd be better off with something focused on that.

Either way, I already have the preorder on it's way from Amazon, I'm just kind of surprised I'm not seeing much melee gameplay based on earlier talk of more focus on that.

The original inFamous was plagued by enemies who could plug you in the head with a shotgun blast from a rooftop two blocks away.  This made melee particularly challenging as it was often better to fight from behind solid cover.

inFamous 2 improved things by greatly increasing the enemy variety and adding a melee weapon in the form of a big electrified tuning fork.  Longer reach, new combos.  Cole's powers still centered around projecting various forms of electricity, but I frequently used them to soften up or scatter enemy units as I closed in for the kill.

I've deliberately tried to stay in the dark about Second Son's powerset, but I've still seen enough to know that there are definitely some melee-centric abilities in the mix.  Think "lightsaber." ninja

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:24 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 20, 2014, 11:54:57 PM

Too bad. It seems to do this now whenever I buy something from the PSN and it's installed when I get home.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2014, 03:50:34 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 21, 2014, 01:53:24 AM

Too bad. It seems to do this now whenever I buy something from the PSN and it's installed when I get home.

What's your secret?!!??
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2014, 03:50:34 AM

What's your secret?!!??
On PSN, it's a menu under your account name, called download list.  From there, you have whatever Sony systems listed below and can add downloads to each from your purchase list.  in the Vita and PS4's case, it downloads as long as the network connection is online.  the PS3 checks in at a time you set and does the downloads then or when you power the system on next. 

there's also this

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:53 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 21, 2014, 04:41:52 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2014, 03:50:34 AM

PST.  So sucks for us east coasters.

What's your secret?!!??
On PSN, it's a menu under your account name, called download list.  From there, you have whatever Sony systems listed below and can add downloads to each from your purchase list.  in the Vita and PS4's case, it downloads as long as the network connection is online.  the PS3 checks in at a time you set and does the downloads then or when you power the system on next.  

there's also this.  

Hmm maybe if I bought something from store this would happen at that time even if I wasn't on the PS4. I think tonight it won't just start downloading my preorder while I sleep though.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2014, 05:01:11 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 21, 2014, 12:43:36 AM

The original inFamous was plagued by enemies who could plug you in the head with a shotgun blast from a rooftop two blocks away.  This made melee particularly challenging as it was often better to fight from behind solid cover.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons I never played the first.  It sounds exactly like the sort of thing that would ruin a game for me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »

I have a hard on for this game! Take that serious conversation!

Anywho, I HOPEFULLY get off work early tomorrow, so I can come home, turn the lights off, and well... My precursor to this post didn't exactly paint the right picture.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »

ok.  I'm at work and playing it via Vita remote play.  The connection is solid enough to support it.  amazed. 

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

No lag? That's pretty awesome. I could buy a PS4 and set it up and hide it from my wife and play on my Vita. smile
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 21, 2014, 02:02:21 PM

No lag? That's pretty awesome. I could buy a PS4 and set it up and hide it from my wife and play on my Vita. smile

Yeah, remote play is incredible. I've never has any lag at all playing PS4 games on my Vita. It's awesome.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »

I played Second Son for a few hours last night. The graphics are phenomenal. This is the game you use to show off your shiny new PS4. Maybe I'm getting old but I found some of the early fights really difficult. Anyway, great game so far.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

there is some occasional graphical splotchiness, but it's not distracting.  

the facial animations are pretty good. It's pretty funny but I finished the downloaded section before the rest of the game downloaded.  nice feature that it does this, but now I have a few minutes to wait just as I got to the city.  

oops, that was hours, not minutes.  seems Sucker Punch wants me to go back to work. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:07:49 PM by Caine » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »

My wife, who was born and raised in Seattle, said that they have taken some liberties with the in-game geography.  No way you can see the Space Needle from the 520 pay bridge she says.

Facial animations are really good and the game looks amazing.  Looking forward to a long gaming session tonight.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »

I just picked up my copy, can't wait to check it out tonight when the kids go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »

More than any other game this game nails water on pavement.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 21, 2014, 06:27:17 PM

More than any other game this game nails water on pavement.

--5 Stars, Forge, Gamingtrend.  icon_razz
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »

I only played about an hour at lunch, and it really stuck out Tongue   Game on the whole seems pretty good so far.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2014, 06:12:09 PM

My wife, who was born and raised in Seattle, said that they have taken some liberties with the in-game geography.  No way you can see the Space Needle from the 520 pay bridge she says.

Facial animations are really good and the game looks amazing.  Looking forward to a long gaming session tonight.
yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too.  other little diversions from reality just in the first hour.  the opening sequence is clearly on the coast as you cannot see the olympic peninsula, so why would you realistically be driving from the east to get to Seattle?

it may be more distracting if you've been here that's for sure.  

JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

Picked up my copy. Now just need to wait for the kids to go to bed.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »

I bet you have fun times during the 49ers vs Seattle games
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 21, 2014, 09:10:47 PM

I bet you have fun times during the 49ers vs Seattle games

It got pretty testy around here
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: